Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Adorable Beam 3

OP LargeGODZILLA

Beam 3, or glassing beam upgraded to the third level is making the game in a state where in a definite losing situation, you are able to destroy an amazing amount of population and climb to the win. I agree that even when someone is ahead, not extremely ahead, but ahead or slightly ahead; a cunning decision from the other player can turn around the battle. That's actually really cool. When something that can wipe soo much soo fast when you are extremely ahead and absolutely winning is nothing short of pure trash. There is a reason why this toxic beam level 3 is banned from all good tournys; it's fast, extremely damaging with amazing aoe. This venereal disease of a leader power is really the most important thing to fix to help make this game more balanced and fun. I recommend nerfing this bowel movement of a beam 1 and 2 by 10% and beam 3 by 35% and lower speed. It's disgusting and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. Some who love using it might love it though; as to them it's pure skill that won them the game when they had no units except a shielded base and their beam. Try dodging beam 3 in a tight spot on the side of bedrock when you were tactically trying to take down their expo.
I concur with the overall statement. Beam 3 is by far overpowered. The high damage, AoE, and speed all continueco to making it an obscenely abusive ability with very little recourse. I propose:
  • Severely reducing damage
  • Decreasing AoE
  • Leaving the spped as is
  • Increasing the telegraph time in order to better allow victims to split their units
Right now it hits hard and hits fast, leaving opponents with no way of preventing massive casualties. I'll finish this with a clip from a tournament where one player used the Beam 3 to effectively delete the majority of an 118 pop army. After seeing the carnage, it makes sense why the ability is banned:

https://clips.twitch.tv/HonorableSpineyWerewolfCoolCat
And can we please control it with the right thumb stick?
I concur with the overall statement. Beam 3 is by far overpowered. The high damage, AoE, and speed all continueco to making it an obscenely abusive ability with very little recourse. I propose:
  • Decreasing AoE
  • Increasing the telegraph time in order to better allow victims to split their units
Right now it hits hard and hits fast, leaving opponents with no way of preventing massive casualties. I'll finish this with a clip from a tournament where one player used the Beam 3 to effectively delete the majority of an 118 pop army. After seeing the carnage, it makes sense why the ability is banned:

Good god in heaven how was something like that implemented into the game and thought to be okay ever?
  • Decreasing AoE

Good god in heaven how was something like that implemented into the game and thought to be okay ever?
Great question... we don't know... the 300% buff to forge hog was also interesting... who knows what goes on during these decisions.
Do like the idea of the telegraphing being a bit longer for the beam. Would force the player to more properly choose priority targets. Perhaps they could do it similar to Halo Wars where the beam "built up" before reaching full power. We do see the same thing with the assault carrier that tried to take out the chief.

Edit: I feel this way might be the more "fair" to both those who dislike the current incarnation of the glassing beam, and those who enjoy the beam's strength compared to the past ones.
Or, OR, we could just nerf it and reduce everyone who has it to level 2, except Shipmaster who is supposed to have it at level 3 anyhow.
Reducing the amount of leaders with the beam would alleviate the issue for the most part and nerfing it for the one guy who has it would also go a long way towards fixing it.

Glassing beam is powerful, but part of the reason it is, is because it's so FAST
Ever since they buffed the speed, it feels like they buffed it TOO much. I don't want to see stuff like Scorpions out run it, but I don't want it able to keep up with hornets easily and wipe any push.

Or....another would be to put it at the 8 o'clock region, so that would reserve it for late game only
Agree 100%
I agree with this premise. I am surprised it is taking this long for people to have seen this. It takes an expert to split (and even then you still lose a chunk) and a noob to use it... oh yeah, and its cheap compared to how much damage it puts out.
okay I had to yet see beam to get to level 3 and this is worst than the seige turret that had to be nerfed holy guacamole batman ty god i have never been in a game with covies long enough for this to happen
DA Cleric wrote:
I agree with this premise. I am surprised it is taking this long for people to have seen this. It takes an expert to split (and even then you still lose a chunk) and a noob to use it... oh yeah, and its cheap compared to how much damage it puts out.
I usually try to split my troops into three groups as quickly as possible, and that can wirk against tier 1 and 2 beams to a certain extent with minimal losses. However at level three by the time you've split up your troops near everything as been melted, so there is little counter play for tier 3
DA Cleric wrote:
I usually try to split my troops into three groups as quickly as possible, and that can wirk against tier 1 and 2 beams to a certain extent with minimal losses. However at level three by the time you've split up your troops near everything as been melted, so there is little counter play for tier 3
Exactly, due to the huge aoe and the speed and damage. Even beam 1 and 2 can be devastating in certain situations but no where near beam 3
DA Cleric wrote:
Exactly, due to the huge aoe and the speed and damage. Even beam 1 and 2 can be devastating in certain situations but no where near beam 3
If the damage was toned down I wouldn't mind the speed and aoe, but the DPS and total damage the beam can do right now is only out done by a full rain of fire
Beam currently lasts for 10 seconds at all levels. I think it should be 7.
THEWALL766 wrote:
Beam currently lasts for 10 seconds at all levels. I think it should be 7.
10 seconds feels like 30 seconds of them melting anything that didn't get lucky and split off at the beginning. 7 seconds would let it still turn battles, but not win them outright.
If the time it lasted was cut back, I think the damage and aoe would be more manageable with some micro, and it wouldn't last long enough to burn your hopes and dreams then burn the ashes of what's left.
Just want to input - fighting against three people who all have the mean beam is practically game over for players who don't micro or spread out their units. Wholeheartedly agree on the dps, duration nerf or possibly speed nerf for T3 beams.
I want the beam to be powerful, and it is the first two tiers. I'll often use those two tiers to destroy infantry balls, which is what I think it should be best at, while still being good against everything else. Tier three is indeed ridiculous, but I just wanted to try to stress that I think that it should still do massive damage to infantry balls, and should be fast enough to catch them at any tier