Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Air is not broken, smurfs are

OP Dreiga

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Especially in 2v2/3v3. Have fun losing 30 points to champions because they have a smurf account in their team while you gain 3 points per win.
Lmao, for real. I love wining 40 games in a row, gaining 1-2 points per win, then losing it all because I lost to a smurf account.
Agreed, I wish there was an easy way to address this issue. It alone really dissuades me from caring about rank at all.
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
This is the reason why the game's playerbase is dying. Lol.
Dreiga wrote:
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
This is the reason why the game's playerbase is dying. Lol.
Why, because a dev is making a nice little joke? The thing is there can hardly be anything done against smurfs even if you exclude them until a certain lvl. Even if theres lets say a lvl 20 cap most players can reach that in 1 or 2 days.
Dreiga wrote:
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
This is the reason why the game's playerbase is dying. Lol.
Why, because a dev is making a nice little joke? The thing is there can hardly be anything done against smurfs even if you exclude them until a certain lvl. Even if theres lets say a lvl 20 cap most players can reach that in 1 or 2 days.
I think there is some insight in what Dreiga and Joker have said, it really is an issue that has pretty much been ignored from the beginning. Increasing the minimum CSR gained from a ranked win would be a bandage to the situation of gaining 30 CSR in 30 games and losing all of that to one loss to a smurf, although I'm just spitballing. Even if that deflates the "prestige" that comes from ranking highly, I think that's better than having a majority of the players resigning to the fact that there is little to no point to trying to win games and rank up.
Of course it is better if smurfing can be addressed, but in a game like this, it would be very difficult and the fixes may be more damaging than the problem itself. It's the sad truth.
Dreiga wrote:
Especially in 2v2/3v3. Have fun losing 30 points to champions because they have a smurf account in their team while you gain 3 points per win.
I literally just gain 1 point per win now, unless its against full team of champs. Its easy to say "it's just a game". But its a pretty stupid thing to say too ☹️
I just want to let it be known that I am not a smurf account. I made this gamertag years ago simply out of love for the smurf colonies and their scientific communities.
Unless Xbox stops letting people create free accounts and let those accounts online just because one person has gold there is not much that can be done.
Dreiga wrote:
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
This is the reason why the game's playerbase is dying. Lol.
Why, because a dev is making a nice little joke? The thing is there can hardly be anything done against smurfs even if you exclude them until a certain lvl. Even if theres lets say a lvl 20 cap most players can reach that in 1 or 2 days.
Boosting with smurfs is a serious and well known issue and the only thing we get from the devs is a "nice little joke".

I get that it's difficult to do something, but letting cheaters destroy ranked playlists for the rest of the community is neither an option.
Dreiga wrote:
Dreiga wrote:
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
This is the reason why the game's playerbase is dying. Lol.
Why, because a dev is making a nice little joke? The thing is there can hardly be anything done against smurfs even if you exclude them until a certain lvl. Even if theres lets say a lvl 20 cap most players can reach that in 1 or 2 days.
Boosting with smurfs is a serious and well known issue and the only thing we get from the devs is a "nice little joke".

I get that it's difficult to do something, but letting cheaters destroy ranked playlists for the rest of the community is neither an option.
Instead of compaining about this is -Yoink-, that is -Yoink-, thats broken - fix it, you could actually give some ideas in how to fix or at least bandaid this but for my part i have no idea other than a rank restriction for ranks whic doesnt help that much imo.
Dreiga wrote:
Dreiga wrote:
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
This is the reason why the game's playerbase is dying. Lol.
Why, because a dev is making a nice little joke? The thing is there can hardly be anything done against smurfs even if you exclude them until a certain lvl. Even if theres lets say a lvl 20 cap most players can reach that in 1 or 2 days.
Boosting with smurfs is a serious and well known issue and the only thing we get from the devs is a "nice little joke".

I get that it's difficult to do something, but letting cheaters destroy ranked playlists for the rest of the community is neither an option.
Instead of compaining about this is -Yoink-, that is -Yoink-, thats broken - fix it, you could actually give some ideas in how to fix or at least bandaid this but for my part i have no idea other than a rank restriction for ranks whic doesnt help that much imo.
The only ideas I have are either a level cap or banning all players who use smurfs to boost their rank.

What troubles me more tbh is that the devs haven't even adressed this issue yet. I haven't seen any comments from 343i that they're looking for ways on how to improve the ranking system. It's difficult to fix this issue if the devs don't reach out to the community to find suitable solutions.
If I was being really cynical I would say something like smurfs inflate the player base number. But in actuality it is probably more difficult to do something about it than you'd think. Maybe if a system of reconciling all accounts on a single device to the gold membership account rank was built in to the game from the start.
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
Agreed too many people take the game too seriously
Postums wrote:
The key is to not care about rank, or stats, or anything. Once you truly understand it is just a game - you will reach the enlightened place of finally just having fun.
We are obviously past the point where such discussions can influence the course of Halo Wars 2.
But I agree with Dreiga that smurf accounts are very likely one reason why the number of active players is (probably) declining - and nobody wants that to happen.
We shouldn't need to check in the last seconds of a lost game, whether we really just lost against a "RestingLobster7461".
Just to find out a few seconds later, that the last 20 minutes obliterated the 300+ minutes before.
Following your argument, you can just trash the ranked playlists altogether.

In my opinion, the whole problem with smurf accounts is simply the result of a - not yet perfect - ranking system design.
I'm not talking about wasting man-hours on a (probably not feasible) smurf account detection but simply a smarter estimation of the teams strengths.

So considering a game of 3 Onyx players versus a team with 2 Champions and 1 Diamond, why do you lose 20 points on a loss here?
The naive approach would be to simply take the average of the 3 MMR ranks and compare them against the other teams average.
Based on that you decide how many points are earned/lost.
Does this make sense in Halo Wars 2? - Of course not...
It's rather obvious that we're not talking about a linear relationship between player skill and the MMR rank.
The simple presence of 2 Champion players here should lead to a much more careful strength estimation - currently, it (apparently) does not.

I'm pretty sure this could have been resolved by iterating over the ranking system in the same way that we iterate over damage modifiers.
All this needs is a little more transparency when it comes to the ranking system internals and awareness during the development cycles.
"omg I lost my precious points"

scrub mentality is strong in here.

You shouldn't worry about your stupid rank. Worry about how to beat those smurfs. You don't learn anything from complaining.

"the match making system should find a equally strong opponent, otherwise I will never play this DEAD game again"

If I had to choose between facing a stronger opponent, that I might be able to learn from or waiting 10 hours in a lobby to find a match vs somebody equal, I'd choose the first.
the statement that smurfs are op is flawed as smurfs don’t have advantages over anyone but noobs and if you thought you being placed a enemy with a lower rank is like an instant or guarantees a win then you probably never seen the tag line for halo wars 2 which is “know your enemy “ think but still just make smart plays and you will be fine
l Hagen l wrote:
"omg I lost my precious points"

scrub mentality is strong in here.

You shouldn't worry about your stupid rank. Worry about how to beat those smurfs. You don't learn anything from complaining.

"the match making system should find a equally strong opponent, otherwise I will never play this DEAD game again"

If I had to choose between facing a stronger opponent, that I might be able to learn from or waiting 10 hours in a lobby to find a match vs somebody equal, I'd choose the first.
Toxic posts like yours are the reason why discussions happen to be quite inefficient in this forum.
You played 10 x 3v3 and 10 x 2v2 team games, none of which have been ranked.
So you obviously never tried to climb the ladder in the team playlists (i.e. you never faced these smurfs) and still open your post with an insult?
If you read the thread carefully, you'll notice that we neither talk about a loss in general nor about playing against better opponents.
The whole point of the ranked playlists is to play against equally strong (and better) teams.

What the OP only pointed out is, that the rank progression itself suffers from teams that deliberately lower their own ranking to hinder the progression from others.
That simply makes playing the ranked playlists a little bit more frustrating.

Thanks for your constructive feedback.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3