Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Air is OP - Dedicated Thread

OP Viper Skills

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10
Air is a necessity to continue breathing and thus, living.

I agree air is OP.
I dont care if 99% of the population says air is OP or even a Moderator says it's so and definitely will NEVER listen to someone say "air is OP" when they never played this game in their life.
1.
you
.

2. I have absolutely played HW2, just not on this tag. Don't believe me? Ask Postums or Wrensi. I literally worked with both of them on this game.
Air is a necessity to continue breathing and thus, living.

I agree air is OP.
I dont care if 99% of the population says air is OP or even a Moderator says it's so and definitely will NEVER listen to someone say "air is OP" when they never played this game in their life.
1.

.

2. I have absolutely played HW2, just not on this tag. Don't believe me? Ask Postums or Wrensi. I worked with both of them.
... well im embarrassed.... the "air is OP" caused me to snap ;)
Question for anyone who can answer. Compared to the actual AA units, how strong would the t3 banshee plasma torpedo be numbers-wise?
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Question for anyone who can answer. Compared to the actual AA units, how strong would the t3 banshee plasma torpedo be numbers-wise?
less effective than Hornets Wingmen upgrade and Wingmen are good for everything while torpedo is only AA and very bad at it.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Question for anyone who can answer. Compared to the actual AA units, how strong would the t3 banshee plasma torpedo be numbers-wise?
less effective than Hornets Wingmen upgrade and Wingmen are good for everything while torpedo is only AA and very bad at it.
I wonder then if ironically the plasma torpedo needs a buff. Say what you will on the Halo Wars vampire, it did work well in keeping enemy air to their side of the map.
I dont think air as a unit is OP in terms of its strength. The problem with air is how it gimps the person trying to counter mass air. Now, this wont be much of a problem for the top tier players who can manage the game and their economy very well. But for average players, countering mass air gimps your tech up ability. Massing air costs no power.

So, you could mass air, force the opponent to keep wasting their power building AA to counter.

Then, you pull out any of locusts/wraiths/hunters/rangers and rinse everything they have with no contest.

Note: This is for AVERAGE players. This wont happen to a top tier/skilled player who knows the game very well. Point is, it is very easy to mass air, but harder to BEAT it AND destroy their bases with your gimped AA army, especially as unsc (as banished locusts compensate for this).

I know that by the metric of unit interactions Air is not OP. The problem comes with the cost and level of skill required to counter it without having your enconomy and base killing potential gimped. All the air spammer has to do is change to vehicle/infantry army comp and they win due to you dedicating a chunk of your army defending against such air spam.

Again, I am an average player and know that Air as a unit is not directly OP. Its the economy effect of countering vs building it that is the problem. I am no expert. I dont have any ideas or solutions. I am still re-learning this game after being away for nearly a year.
I dont think air as a unit is OP in terms of its strength. The problem with air is how it gimps the person trying to counter mass air. Now, this wont be much of a problem for the top tier players who can manage the game and their economy very well. But for average players, countering mass air gimps your tech up ability. Massing air costs no power.

So, you could mass air, force the opponent to keep wasting their power building AA to counter.

Then, you pull out any of locusts/wraiths/hunters/rangers and rinse everything they have with no contest.

Note: This is for AVERAGE players. This wont happen to a top tier/skilled player who knows the game very well. Point is, it is very easy to mass air, but harder to BEAT it AND destroy their bases with your gimped AA army, especially as unsc (as banished locusts compensate for this).

I know that by the metric of unit interactions Air is not OP. The problem comes with the cost and level of skill required to counter it without having your enconomy and base killing potential gimped. All the air spammer has to do is change to vehicle/infantry army comp and they win due to you dedicating a chunk of your army defending against such air spam.

Again, I am an average player and know that Air as a unit is not directly OP. Its the economy effect of countering vs building it that is the problem. I am no expert. I dont have any ideas or solutions. I am still re-learning this game after being away for nearly a year.
I have found more often then not the spammer pays the price economy-wise. With the fragility of the air, the spammer can run out of funds just trying to keep up the pressure of the fleet they have created.
Silver ww wrote:
My main issue is that air forces you to build useless counter units that aren't very good at killing it, and ruins your ability to push afterwards. Giving wolverines their volley ability back would be a good start. All in all I believe air does too much damage considering how mobile they are and how cheap they are to replace.
AA is good at killing air, even the generally weaker wolferine. In fact, AA is borderline OP for how cheap, cost effective, and quick to build. There is a reason this Y ability never transfered from HW1 and giving Wolfs their Barrage back will kill the current meta like Hunters and Cyclopes used to be Anti-Ground.
Still doesn't counter my main point that spam building aa ruins your ability to push, they are useless against anything but air.
Silver ww wrote:
My main issue is that air forces you to build useless counter units that aren't very good at killing it, and ruins your ability to push afterwards. Giving wolverines their volley ability back would be a good start. All in all I believe air does too much damage considering how mobile they are and how cheap they are to replace.
And minimal power invested
I think Viper Skills is OP, it says so above his name in the first post.

So does that mean Viper Skills = Air? :/
Zildjians wrote:
I think Viper Skills is OP, it says so above his name in the first post.

So does that mean Vipe Skills = Air? :/
Well a viper is a type of predator. The banshees are modeled after flying predators thus Viper Skills=banshees confirmed.
Air is a necessity to continue breathing and thus, living.

I agree air is OP.
I dont care if 99% of the population says air is OP or even a Moderator says it's so and definitely will NEVER listen to someone say "air is OP" when they never played this game in their life.
1.
you
.

2. I have absolutely played HW2, just not on this tag. Don't believe me? Ask Postums or Wrensi. I literally worked with both of them on this game.
She did.
Air is op, in 3s. Aa requires to much power ☝️
2. I have absolutely played HW2, just not on this tag. Don't believe me? Ask Postums or Wrensi. I literally worked with both of them on this game.
uuuum ban for smurfing pls
Air is a necessity to continue breathing and thus, living.

I agree air is OP.
I dont care if 99% of the population says air is OP or even a Moderator says it's so and definitely will NEVER listen to someone say "air is OP" when they never played this game in their life. No disrespect of course but AA does a very good for it's job and air does not. People such as Nakamura and THEWALL766 have proven this many times.
I appreciate the shout out but I think she meant that “the gaseous mixture of nitrogen and oxygen is essential for breathing and living”
Some DPS from wingman needs to be removed and added to base hornet.

AA needs a speed/acceleration buff.

Air is OP
Silver ww wrote:
My main issue is that air forces you to build useless counter units that aren't very good at killing it, and ruins your ability to push afterwards. Giving wolverines their volley ability back would be a good start. All in all I believe air does too much damage considering how mobile they are and how cheap they are to replace.
And minimal power invested
The reason AA costs power actually makes AA more affordable. You think someone can build a full army of AA, which beats air, before a air army gets max pop? Definitely. You dont even need a full AA army to beat air either so its actually cheaper. Many dont know this but Power Gens have ZERO deminishing returns besides they cost a larger supply investment each time while the player going air is struggling with supplies and even power without being able to invest anything to Gens. Your argument of "minimal power invested" is a very poor reason to call air OP and hopefully see my reason. If you like, you can play against me and go mass air and i'll show you it's very beatable.
Hopefully we can move away from this Air OP stuff and actually discuss the issue between air and AA which has nothing to do with power cost of AA.

But to continue the theme, I only know fine dining and breathing. Please don't ask my name
I don't think air is as OP as some make it out to be, but I do think the implementation could have been better.

Most RTS game I've played will have a dedicated air unit that can only target air and it'll generally be faster and cheaper than a bomber.
Silver ww wrote:
My main issue is that air forces you to build useless counter units that aren't very good at killing it, and ruins your ability to push afterwards. Giving wolverines their volley ability back would be a good start. All in all I believe air does too much damage considering how mobile they are and how cheap they are to replace.
And minimal power invested
The reason AA costs power actually makes AA more affordable. You think someone can build a full army of AA, which beats air, before a air army gets max pop? Definitely. You dont even need a full AA army to beat air either so its actually cheaper. Many dont know this but Power Gens have ZERO deminishing returns besides they cost a larger supply investment each time while the player going air is struggling with supplies and even power without being able to invest anything to Gens. Your argument of "minimal power invested" is a very poor reason to call air OP and hopefully see my reason. If you like, you can play against me and go mass air and i'll show you it's very beatable.
I don't agree maybe T1 AA is affordable but T3 is not, power you waste on AA is power you don't invest elsewhere. AA won't destroy bases either. 6 pads of blue is cheaper than 3 pads of yellow, especially if you take into account opportunity cost.

Best counter to air is early marines with rocket launcher, wolverines are awful and reavers are just ok but chasing planes with AA is not a winning strategy.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 10