Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Air is way too OP

OP Shady Democide

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
EVERY GAME IS ALL AIR UNITS!! Will you ever fix this????? Oh hey watcha buildin this match air. No way same here!! Next match: you gonna build all air again? Yep id rather win than actually have fun.
How about we go play an unranked match so we can actually build ground units and have some fun for once OH WAIT WHATS THAT THEY BUILT ALL AIR AND SMASHED ALL YOUR REAVERS THEN WIPED YOU BASE!? Yup seen that comin
So whats the actual counter to air? There isnt one the only way to stop all air is to rush and end the game in 3min. Is that even fun? NO CUZ YOU WAIT 10MIN TO FIND A MATCH
I think you have better chances getting more responses from the HW2 forum then here.
It doesnt matter they wont fix it made the same frustrations known on the other forum a year agoand im not the only one.
Anti air units should attack 4 air units at a time to even stand a chance the fact that anti air gets completely destroyed by air is a joke.
Then the small chance that you get to micro manage all your anti air to each attack diff batches of an all air assault they realize and fly away at 5 times the speed that you move or fly over cliffs reaver can jump it but theyre already gone. And if you built all anti air and on a 1% chance destroy all the air then what you gonna attack a base with anti air and a hero???
Aren't base infantry for both UNSC and Banished also great against air? (Ex: Marines and Elite/Brute kill teams)

Regardless, it's honestly no different in vs AI, if you don't get bomb rushed by a thousand Flamers/Cryolators or Jumppack Brutes within the first 3 minutes, you're probably going to see a bunch of Vultures or Hornets soaring over the horizon soon lol. You know how you get people to stop spamming one thing? Find the weakness for that thing. If they start losing more matches than they're winning with that strat, they're very likely to change tactics.
Aren't base infantry for both UNSC and Banished also great against air? (Ex: Marines and Elite/Brute kill teams)

Regardless, it's honestly no different in vs AI, if you don't get bomb rushed by a thousand Flamers/Cryolators or Jumppack Brutes within the first 3 minutes, you're probably going to see a bunch of Vultures or Hornets soaring over the horizon soon lol. You know how you get people to stop spamming one thing? Find the weakness for that thing. If they start losing more matches than they're winning with that strat, they're very likely to change tactics.
and what's the weakness for units that cost low power but have high HP and do massive damage? marines sure don't count as their HP is so low it doesn't matter

and what's the weakness for units that cost low power but have high HP and do massive damage? marines sure don't count as their HP is so low it doesn't matter
Against Air units Marines do quite a bit of damage. Give them rockets and they do even more.

Against Air units Marines do quite a bit of damage. Give them rockets and they do even more.
Marines are good against air units but the problem is that air units are so fast they can just dip out of the fight and marines can’t keep up. They will just fly over to another base that takes you a long time to get over to and probably destroy it before you’ve got your marines there!
fred 182 wrote:

Marines are good against air units but the problem is that air units are so fast they can just dip out of the fight and marines can’t keep up. They will just fly over to another base that takes you a long time to get over to and probably destroy it before you’ve got your marines there!
Ontop of that, Air does good damage against all unit types while AA is useless and Infantry is super weak to vehicles and leader powers while having low HP and Armor
A mix of vultures wolverines and marines are the best UNSC counter for air having the marines fully upgraded as well as infantry lvl3 helps. Meanwhile for The Banished its a mix of upgraded Banshees (Increased Radiation dmg upgrade) reavers and grunts serve good against air, the upgraded banshees are especially good at taking out air enemy units in swarms but be careful of vultures as their nukes can take out both UNSC and Banished Air unit Swarms.
its literally impossible to counter

In my experience, AI uses a mix or Air, Infantry, and Vehicles, they don't just bumrush air
xca5 wrote:
Honestly, the only thing that stands a decent chance against air is reavers, wolverines don't get crap done

In my experience, AI uses a mix or Air, Infantry, and Vehicles, they don't just bumrush air
I've had it start out with rush Chopper Squad, then some poke Infantry Scouts, then out of nowhere barely 6 minutes in a Squad of Hornets comes out from the Fog of War. AI are truly strange.
xca5 wrote:
Honestly, the only thing that stands a decent chance against air is reavers, wolverines don't get crap done
So i just got into reading forums for Halo Wars 2 but im no random in HW2. I have played the game for years (since release) and I am top onyx and low champ (in my main account in xbox) in 1v1 and 2v2.

Hornet and Banshees are core units, stop thinking of the the game like rock, paper, scissor. When you build a support unit and demand that it plays like a core unit then you wont have enough dps to beat anything. There is a reason for core units, try to make a mix of core anything with tops 5-6 wolverines and you will beat a pure air rush. Also many fights are lost because of misuse of leader abilities and lack of scouting. Always have a scout (jackrabbit, chopper, ghost, etc.) and try to control map nodes and specific towers to gain as much information as you can. Another big group of people who loose to hornet rush are those who wait in their bases to build a "deathball army comp". Air units are glass cannons and they are generally very expensive and take long to produce. If you scout properly then you will be able to know with what comp the enemy chooses to hit you and you will be able to hit them before they are ready. And again don't forget leader abilities most often can change the outcome of almost any fight.

Just some food for thought.
xca5 wrote:
So i just got into reading forums for Halo Wars 2 but im no random in HW2. I have played the game for years (since release) and I am top onyx and low champ (in my main account in xbox) in 1v1 and 2v2.

Hornet and Banshees are core units, stop thinking of the the game like rock, paper, scissor. When you build a support unit and demand that it plays like a core unit then you wont have enough dps to beat anything. There is a reason for core units, try to make a mix of core anything with tops 5-6 wolverines and you will beat a pure air rush. Also many fights are lost because of misuse of leader abilities and lack of scouting. Always have a scout (jackrabbit, chopper, ghost, etc.) and try to control map nodes and specific towers to gain as much information as you can. Another big group of people who loose to hornet rush are those who wait in their bases to build a "deathball army comp". Air units are glass cannons and they are generally very expensive and take long to produce. If you scout properly then you will be able to know with what comp the enemy chooses to hit you and you will be able to hit them before they are ready. And again don't forget leader abilities most often can change the outcome of almost any fight.

Yet hornets have stupid high HP and banshees nuke other units, the only viable way to counter them is to spam Marines but even then they have such low HP and range that even if you win the engagement most of your army is dead, and on top of that core air does stupid high damage to all unit types while AA and Infantry are pretty weak at killing bases ( or in the case of AA, anything at all )
xca5 wrote:

Air is cheap and builds quick, I don't know what makes you think it's expensive and takes forever. Plus infantry is only good against basic non-upgraded air, upgraded air will shred basic infantry like paper
xca5 wrote:

Air is cheap and builds quick, I don't know what makes you think it's expensive and takes forever. Plus infantry is only good against basic non-upgraded air, upgraded air will shred basic infantry like paper
A T3 Marine and Grunt upgrade would fix this.....extra damage, range and armor...
Played against a Forge, Atriox and a Cutter in ranked

guess what all 3 of them built

guess how that game went

guess how good marines and wolverines were

remember air units can attack even while retreating while marines cannot attack unless facing the enemy directly

remember wingman hornets have more HP than scorpions

remember leader powers wipe the floor with infantry

remember when this game was actually good? I don't
Played against a Forge, Atriox and a Cutter in ranked

guess what all 3 of them built

guess how that game went

guess how good marines and wolverines were

remember air units can attack even while retreating while marines cannot attack unless facing the enemy directly

remember wingman hornets have more HP than scorpions

remember leader powers wipe the floor with infantry

remember when this game was actually good? I don't
I've played games where I have had a full population of wolverines and get taken out in a matter of seconds by air units. Air needs to cost power at this point. At least then it would be an actual strategy game
I’ve actually quit playing as UNSC because wolverines are so pathetic. Reavers are an obnoxiously better anti air unit than wolverines. Though I do believe mass air is still ridiculously OP I have been able to hold my own much more often since abandoning UNSC and running banished only. I typically use colony and have had much luck because when their 25 banshees or hornets wipe my army the devastating host leader power drops me enough units mid battle to usually wipe their army and give me time to get more reavers out and some good offensive units like wraiths or locusts to push their base and get them on their heels. I’m far from a great player but this strategy has allowed me at least stand a chance against the air spamming people I come up against.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2