Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Announcing the Halo Wars Championship League!

OP BreezyStarfish1

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hello fellow Halo Wars community members! Today we are proud to announce a joint tournament series hosted between The Banished, Team Respawn, and Breaking the Clutch. It is called the Halo Wars Championship League!

What exactly is a joint tournament series? Well I'm glad you asked! There will be several tournaments hosted by the three different organizations, and each of these tournaments will reward points to the top finishers. These tournaments will be called "minors." Every month there will be "major" tournament where the stakes are raised and the you can potentially get more points. At the end of each season there will be an invitational where those with the highest points will be invited to participate. These tournaments which will have prizes provided by 343 Industries as well as the prize pool collected by the three organizations.

An example of this would be: The winner of a tournament would get 50 points, second place would get 30, then third and fourth place would each get 10 points. Then say the top finishers in points will be invited to participate in the major at the end of the season.

How do we keep track of points? You sure are full of questions. Fortunately the points leaderboards will be easy to find right here on Waypoint in this very post. See bottom of post

Registering for the tournaments is easy, just join the discord servers of the different organizations and follow the instructions on how to register you find there. Here are the links to the servers:
The Banished
Team Respawn
You can watch the finals of the latest Team Respawn Tournament here
Breaking The Clutch
Registration for the next Breaking The Clutch tournament can be found here

Any more questions? Feel free to PM me here on Waypoint, or contact BtC or Team Respawn.

Leaderboards
1. PatrickMac5 (50)
2. RockGENERATION (30)
T-3. LargoPancake40 (10)
T-3. Filayyy 5 (10)
Is this just 1v1?
marmy080 wrote:
Is this just 1v1?
That's decided by the organization hosting the tournament. But if it is a team tournament both players will win points.
Where can we go to watch these? Will they be livestreamed or put on YouTube?
Where can we go to watch these? Will they be livestreamed or put on YouTube?
They'll be streamed by each different organization. If you join their servers they can let you know!
excited
Sounds pretty awesome! Glad you guys are taking charge and bringing the game to the forefront! Can't wait to compete. Keep it up!
Will there 2v2 tournaments or 3v3 tournaments?
Will there 2v2 tournaments or 3v3 tournaments?
There will be in the future!
This sounds really cool! I'd love to participate, I've got no idea about multiplayer RTS but I did finish all of the campaign on legendary ;)
This sounds really cool! I'd love to participate, I've got no idea about multiplayer RTS but I did finish all of the campaign on legendary ;)
Well then you should be good mechanically lol

And you can join The Banished server where we do have coaches ready to help you gain your footing in the multiplayer!
Well then you should be good mechanically lol

And you can join The Banished server where we do have coaches ready to help you gain your footing in the multiplayer!
You know what sure! I'll give this a go!

"What could possibly go wrong"
it's a good initiative let's go guys like that
Will this be purely DM?
Will this be purely DM?
For now yes, but we might expand to Blitz in the future.
In yesterday's Banished tournament, I think the rule against reusing leaders in a series was a big success. Because of the rules, we got to see a ton of different leaders and matchups throughout the day, and matches were much more interesting than seeing players play their best leader 3 or 5 games in a row.

There is a similar rule in Hearthstone tournament format and I think that it benefits HW for many of the same reasons. The biggest one, which is a win for everyone, is that it mitigates leader imbalance. In a BoX match, it can turn a balance problem into another story line (when will each player use their "OP", will they get their win with it?)

Arbiter didn't even need to be globally banned yesterday, and in the future if there are things that are blatantly imbalanced, it's more interesting to give each player a leader ban for each match to use how they want. Also, without the rule, even if you globally ban certain leaders, its still likely that a consensus forms about which leaders are next best and you get a tournament with the same 2 or so leaders every game.

It brings much greater leader diversity and creates more room for skill expression as a match goes longer. If a player can only play 3 leaders at their best level, they might get exposed in game 4 and 5. This stuff is great for the viewer of course, and in my opinion, it's a more exciting format for the players as well. I like the idea of having to prepare multiple leaders for tournament day, and mind-gaming each other during the series to get the better leader matchup for each map.

The most common argument I've seen against it is that banning reusing leaders arbitrarily punishes people who dedicate to a single main leader. If it makes for a better tournament experience, I think that is the liberty the organizers should be free to take. And I think this format resonates more with the playerbase. There aren't many people who main a single leader. There are 16 leaders but really there are only 2 factions with leaders that have about 11 points of difference between them, 10 leader powers and a hero (disregarding a couple unique units and core infantry differences). And even half of those are usually negligible (shared and useless leader points).

At this point in the game, personally I am more interested in seeing who has the best game across multiple leaders. If you want to see who is the best at polishing a single leader, look at the matchmaking leaderboards.
Heads up the leaderboards have been updated! We now have our early contenders 💪
Where do u see the leaderboards?
Where do u see the leaderboards?
At the bottom of the OP
Sounds great, cross-play allowed or are you focussed on a Plattform?

Thx and cheers
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2