Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

[Locked] Announcing the Halo Wars Championship League!

OP BreezyStarfish1

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Welcome to the Halo Wars Championship League hosted by the Banished, Breaking the Clutch, and Team Respawn. The HWCL is a community driven tournament series which brings together the best of the best in order to compete for points and prizes. These prizes are provided by the lovely 343i team, so you know there will be plenty of great Halo goodies to win!

Here is how this all works -
Every tournament hosted by any of the organizations listed above, will be giving a total of 100 points to the top four competitors. The exact point breakdown is as follows for all tournaments; 1st place - 50 points, 2nd place - 30 points, 3rd place - 15 points, and 4th place - 5 points.

What does one do with these points? -
The top 12 players (based on HWCL points), from each season are invited to the Invitationals where the absolute best will battle it out for awesome prizes provided by 343i. These Invitationals are rotated between organizations after each season, with the first being held by Breaking the Clutch on 6/23/18.

What if I don’t secure enough points for the Invitationals? -
If you find yourself outside the top 12 as the season comes to an end, don’t fret. Competitors can still gain entry to the Invitationals by finishing in the top 4 of the Qualifiers which will take place on 6/16/18. Any person not already invited to the Invitationals, can join this tournament.

Where can I get more information on how to register for these tournaments? -
These tournaments will be facilitated by all three of our organizations nearly every single weekend, so feel free to play in as many as you want! The objective is to gain as many points as you can so you can be invited to the Invitationals. Check out the Discord links provided to receive updates on all things tournament related.
The Banished - https://discord.gg/upDjn8x
Breaking the Clutch - https://discord.gg/Nzk3GJ2
Team Respawn - https://discord.gg/Ye69yu6

How can we watch these tournaments?
Here is a detailed list of each organizations respective Twitch and Youtube Channels.
The Banished:
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/thebanishedrts
Breaking the Clutch:
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/breakingtheclutch
Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/user/BreakingTheClutch
Team Respawn:
Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/teamrespawntv
Youtube - www.youtube.com/TeamRespawnTV

Where do we keep track of points? -
The HWCL points will be recorded and updated on this very post (see bottom), following each tournament.

Questions, comments, concerns? -
Contact any of the organizations through their respective Discord servers. Again, the Banished, Breaking the Clutch, and Team Respawn.

Season 1 Leaderboard (Dates / From-to)
1. MikeBEASTon (200)
2. Almirante99 (160)
3. RockGENERATION (90)
4. PatrickMac5 (80)
4. Yodesla (80)
4. Hech1Zero (80)
4. CarsandCameras (80)
8. NakamuraRTS (65)
9. FlamePieman (50)
9. MetaloidMonkey (50)
11. LikelySquidward (45)
12. TheWALL766 (30)
13. LargoPancake40 (25)
14. EODspartan Seb (20)
15. Aykons SidekicK (15)
15. Ones1ydog (15)
15. L1am Wh1te (15)
15. Jeff Kills (15)
15. Solid HW (15)
15. lxJeddeyxl (15)
21. Filayyy 5 (10)
22. DiverSe1 (5)
22. xX l Yuchi l Xx (5)
22. Venom Fangz (5)
22. Murik3 (5)

Season One Tournament History:
(4/14/18) The Banished Invitational Qualifiers Round 1
  1. PatrickMac5
  2. RockGENERATION
  3. LargoPancake40 and Filayyy 5
(4/21/18) April BtC eLeauge Round Two
  1. MikeBEASTon
  2. Yodesla
  3. Aykons SidekicK
  4. NakamuraRTS
(4/22/18) The Banished Invitational Qualifiers Round 2
  1. MikeBEASTon
  2. NakamuraRTS
  3. Almirante99
  4. DiverSe1
(4/22/18) April Team Respawn Tournament
  1. FlamePieman
  2. LikelySquidward
  3. Ones1ydog
  4. xX | Yuchi | Xx
(5/12/18) May BtC eLeague Round 1
  1. Hech1Zero
  2. Nakamura RTS
  3. L1am Wh1te
  4. EODspartan seb
(5/13/18) May Team Respawn Tournament
  1. MikeBEASTon
  2. CarsandCameras
  3. Yodesla
  4. LargoPancake40
(5/19/18) The Banished May Tournament
  1. Almirante99
  2. PatrickMac5
  3. LargoPancake40
  4. Jeff Kills
(5/26/18) Breaking the Clutch May eLeague Round 2
  1. MikeBEASTon
  2. El Hech1Zero
  3. Almirante99
  4. Venom Fangz
(5/27/18) Team Respawn May Tournament 2
  1. Yodesla
  2. Almirante
  3. Solid HW
(6/2/18) The Banished June Tournament
  1. Almirante99
  2. RockGENERATION
  3. EODspartan Seb
  4. Jeff Kills
Is this just 1v1?
marmy080 wrote:
Is this just 1v1?
That's decided by the organization hosting the tournament. But if it is a team tournament both players will win points.
Where can we go to watch these? Will they be livestreamed or put on YouTube?
Where can we go to watch these? Will they be livestreamed or put on YouTube?
They'll be streamed by each different organization. If you join their servers they can let you know!
excited
Sounds pretty awesome! Glad you guys are taking charge and bringing the game to the forefront! Can't wait to compete. Keep it up!
Will there 2v2 tournaments or 3v3 tournaments?
Will there 2v2 tournaments or 3v3 tournaments?
There will be in the future!
This sounds really cool! I'd love to participate, I've got no idea about multiplayer RTS but I did finish all of the campaign on legendary ;)
This sounds really cool! I'd love to participate, I've got no idea about multiplayer RTS but I did finish all of the campaign on legendary ;)
Well then you should be good mechanically lol

And you can join The Banished server where we do have coaches ready to help you gain your footing in the multiplayer!
Well then you should be good mechanically lol

And you can join The Banished server where we do have coaches ready to help you gain your footing in the multiplayer!
You know what sure! I'll give this a go!

"What could possibly go wrong"
it's a good initiative let's go guys like that
Will this be purely DM?
Will this be purely DM?
For now yes, but we might expand to Blitz in the future.
In yesterday's Banished tournament, I think the rule against reusing leaders in a series was a big success. Because of the rules, we got to see a ton of different leaders and matchups throughout the day, and matches were much more interesting than seeing players play their best leader 3 or 5 games in a row.

There is a similar rule in Hearthstone tournament format and I think that it benefits HW for many of the same reasons. The biggest one, which is a win for everyone, is that it mitigates leader imbalance. In a BoX match, it can turn a balance problem into another story line (when will each player use their "OP", will they get their win with it?)

Arbiter didn't even need to be globally banned yesterday, and in the future if there are things that are blatantly imbalanced, it's more interesting to give each player a leader ban for each match to use how they want. Also, without the rule, even if you globally ban certain leaders, its still likely that a consensus forms about which leaders are next best and you get a tournament with the same 2 or so leaders every game.

It brings much greater leader diversity and creates more room for skill expression as a match goes longer. If a player can only play 3 leaders at their best level, they might get exposed in game 4 and 5. This stuff is great for the viewer of course, and in my opinion, it's a more exciting format for the players as well. I like the idea of having to prepare multiple leaders for tournament day, and mind-gaming each other during the series to get the better leader matchup for each map.

The most common argument I've seen against it is that banning reusing leaders arbitrarily punishes people who dedicate to a single main leader. If it makes for a better tournament experience, I think that is the liberty the organizers should be free to take. And I think this format resonates more with the playerbase. There aren't many people who main a single leader. There are 16 leaders but really there are only 2 factions with leaders that have about 11 points of difference between them, 10 leader powers and a hero (disregarding a couple unique units and core infantry differences). And even half of those are usually negligible (shared and useless leader points).

At this point in the game, personally I am more interested in seeing who has the best game across multiple leaders. If you want to see who is the best at polishing a single leader, look at the matchmaking leaderboards.
Heads up the leaderboards have been updated! We now have our early contenders 💪
Where do u see the leaderboards?
Where do u see the leaderboards?
At the bottom of the OP
Sounds great, cross-play allowed or are you focussed on a Plattform?

Thx and cheers
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3