Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Anti-Air is Pathetic

OP Baconator756

I play a mix of solo wars and 3v3's online with friends and the pattern for weeks has been the same. Solo's I am able to keep my opponent down and crippled enough to prevent them from building any unit swarms, but in 3v3's I can't control the game the same obviously. That being said, the enemies on the opposite side of the map from me who I can't bother 99% of the time end up coming over to me all of a sudden with an air swarm, either decimus or vultures half the time. I fully understand the issue with vultures and why they should/shouldn't be nerfed, but I honestly think the issue so many people are passing up is how weak anti-air is. To put into comparison, snipers and hellbringers will crush any core infantry even if outnumbered most of the time while dealing high damage, however anti-air (reavers/wolverines) do so little damage it is laughable sometimes. Core air units, in my opinion, need to be a little more like glass cannons, their speed and maneuverability is a huge advantage that the player should have to focus if they decide to build air, but they should not have the advantages of high health and armor as it just makes them to viable. The ease of use for air is 10x higher than that of anti-air, which I feel needs to be buffed substantially to live up to the fact that it is a counter unit. Again, I understand why some people say an air nerf would be dumb, but the amount of times I have been hit by swarm upon swarm of air units is undeniable and just not fun.
Yea you’re right
I play a mix of solo wars and 3v3's online with friends and the pattern for weeks has been the same. Solo's I am able to keep my opponent down and crippled enough to prevent them from building any unit swarms, but in 3v3's I can't control the game the same obviously. That being said, the enemies on the opposite side of the map from me who I can't bother 99% of the time end up coming over to me all of a sudden with an air swarm, either decimus or vultures half the time. I fully understand the issue with vultures and why they should/shouldn't be nerfed, but I honestly think the issue so many people are passing up is how weak anti-air is. To put into comparison, snipers and hellbringers will crush any core infantry even if outnumbered most of the time while dealing high damage, however anti-air (reavers/wolverines) do so little damage it is laughable sometimes. Core air units, in my opinion, need to be a little more like glass cannons, their speed and maneuverability is a huge advantage that the player should have to focus if they decide to build air, but they should not have the advantages of high health and armor as it just makes them to viable. The ease of use for air is 10x higher than that of anti-air, which I feel needs to be buffed substantially to live up to the fact that it is a counter unit. Again, I understand why some people say an air nerf would be dumb, but the amount of times I have been hit by swarm upon swarm of air units is undeniable and just not fun.
Always made me question why they never brought back Vampires from the original Halo Wars. A little anti-air air that has the speed and maneuverability to match. The balancing of units in HW2 just isn't the same as it was in HW1. You shouldn't have to micro your anti-air vehicles against air units to constantly win engagements.
I feel reavers do a better job than wolves almost all of the time, but I totally agree with you. It now comes down to if the other team have mass air (usually the quick kind), AA is never enough/the go to solution. It's hitting the perfect leader power combo that you need to reply upon which just doesn't feel right in a rock scissors paper RTS. Because AA already doesn't do real damage to other types of unit it should dominate air, which doesn't. It works like you say in other types of games, C&C air was powerful when used correctly/strategically (glass canon) but AA when placed correctly would absolutely shred air.
I do feel that anti-air unless you spam them that they’re not that powerful, especially health wise.
The best advice I can give you is make sure you get your vehicle upgrades, keep them away from other units that aren’t air as well. Save the reaver jump for a leader power or to catch flying away air but don’t over extend into a ambush. Build anti air turrets. Keep your reavers ready to help a teams base under attack. Constantly have them moving or in good defense positions. Never send them into a battle where there is no air units.
I feel reavers do a better job than wolves almost all of the time, but I totally agree with you. It now comes down to if the other team have mass air (usually the quick kind), AA is never enough/the go to solution. It's hitting the perfect leader power combo that you need to reply upon which just doesn't feel right in a rock scissors paper RTS. Because AA already doesn't do real damage to other types of unit it should dominate air, which doesn't. It works like you say in other types of games, C&C air was powerful when used correctly/strategically (glass canon) but AA when placed correctly would absolutely shred air.
Reavers absolutely do a better job than wolverines in my opinion but yea and it's sad to think that this will probably never be addressed.
The best advice I can give you is make sure you get your vehicle upgrades, keep them away from other units that aren’t air as well. Save the reaver jump for a leader power or to catch flying away air but don’t over extend into a ambush. Build anti air turrets. Keep your reavers ready to help a teams base under attack. Constantly have them moving or in good defense positions. Never send them into a battle where there is no air units.
Yea I'm not trying to further the idea that it is impossible to win if you don't build air. Like I said I am fine in solos (ranked onyx about 1550 csr) because it is easy to realize when someone is building air and to play against it aggressively, but my issue is playing 3v3's where it just becomes impossible to beat as my friends like to play more defensively, subsequently getting us into wars of attrition where the enemy just builds air. Again though absolutely agree with what you're saying.