Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Anti-Air needs a major buff, For Christ's Sake..

OP X 5K Nites X

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Just had 4 games in a -Yoinking!- row the people on the enemy team went mass air (Sentinels or Banshees). It's freaking ridiculous that Wolves AND Reavers can't do squat vs the very thing that they're SUPPOSED to be good at. I devoted half my army to anti-air and STILL got rofltstomped.... If I would've went all AA, then someone on the enemy team would've roflstomped me with Cyclops or Hunters or Marines or wtf ever...

And no!!! I don't want to hear any "GetGuud, buddy!" Or any thing of the sort. I was micro-ing my units and everything. I was bringing Shroud support, I was bringing soft AND light counters to take the lame out. I literally had to switch from Reavers to Plasma Torpedo BANSHEES because the Reavers were getting stomped and weren't killing squat!!! That's all Anders players do. Go Sentinels and only Sentinels😬. They STILL STOMP everything en masse. They STILL outrun Wolves by a country mile and STILL stomp air.

Please...For the good Lord's sake...Buff ANTI-AIR!!! It's useless if your opponent goes all air...
I agree. It shouldn't take 3/4 of your population (or more!) in anti- air to take down a full population of air units. As it stands, upgraded grunts and marines are more effective counters than dedicated anti-air vehicles.

The reaver is definitely BETTER, in a sense, than the wolverine, but still has some issues. It's missiles do splash damage from what I can tell (unlike the wolverine), but once a target dies they don't retarget in flight, causing entire volleys of missiles to be wasted. The damage on the reaver if fine, I think, but this issue needs to be fixed, and it's health needs a buff Vs. aircraft fire. (The missile thing is an issue for Blisterbacks as well).

As for the wolverine.... god, they're garbage. They desperately need a buff to their rate of fire. To justify their (admittedly heavy) single target damage, they need to be constantly shooting. One volley every 2-3 seconds just isn't enough to take out mass air. They should have more constant streams of missiles, akin to HW1. Oh, and, of course, a health buff.
Yea they need to make air units more effective at taking down buildings and more vulnerable to anti air.
I,m hoping for an anti-air based hero for the third hero dlc considering the trend so far
I,m hoping for an anti-air based hero for the third hero dlc considering the trend so far
A vampire leader? I would be down with that. They need to add back the y attack for wolverines so if you do build a freaking huge army of them they aren't completely worthless against everything but air.
capnchuc wrote:
A vampire leader? I would be down with that. They need to add back the y attack for wolverines so if you do build a freaking huge army of them they aren't completely worthless against everything but air.
Yeah, I'd like that. That's the thing, I can beat air spam with wolverines, but then... I cannot push afterwards because wolverines are useless vs bases.

I'd give wolverines a slight buff on building damage and/or an ability that would be good against buildings. AND I'd also give them an armour change to make them more resistant to attacks from air units specifically, but no more tanky to stuff like small arms fire or other vehicles.
My suggestion is to reduce wolves a population spot.
I feel like AA units die too fast too. If their damage output toward everything beside air units is so pitiful, at least stop them from getting obliterated by carpet bomb, etc. Doesn't even take anti-vehicle to sneeze at them and wipe them all out.
not to mention, wolverines and reavers are very costly.

the amount of energy required to pump them out means players must divert energy from upgrades in their armory/war council, which gives the opponent who employs air power yet another advantage

no one with an army of snipers has ever complained that they aren't able to annihilate infantry at a good ratio, and yet anti air consistently draws complaints.
Git.....Infantry, and watch out for leaderpowers.
capnchuc wrote:
Interesting idea..an anti air leader would be nice. But they would have to drastically improve the two anti air units and create more. How about air units that are only effective against air. That would create another way to counter typical air attacks. Or a leader power that can take out a lot of air units only..
Well some air units are anti-vehicle. Wolverines and Reavers are vehicles so it kinda deafeats the purpose, also global upgrades make a difference.
Counters in general are weak in this game. I should have to build 20 cyclops to take out 7 or 8 grizzlies. Hunters and cyclops should wreck scarabs and vehicles and they don't unless you have an entire army. Anti air is expensive meanwhile planes cost resources only. So you can just build supply pads and pump them out. Meanwhile anti air needs to balance both resources.
I can beat a full army of air with just 8-10 reavers with ease.
It's called micro management

Anti-air have insane range vs air units so kite them. don't just send them straight into the middle of air and leave them there.
Alexizzed wrote:

Anti-air have insane range vs air units so kite them. don't just send them straight into the middle of air and leave them there.
Great point..This is the best way to beat big groups of air units. If you are good with building an effective deverse group of units( my favorite group is locusts, engineers, anti air and banshees) and if you can pump out about 8-10 reavers or wolverines with engineers or nightingales you should be able to take out any air attack..also drawing them in closer to one of your bases with turrents really helps.
Saints14 wrote:
My suggestion is to reduce wolves a population spot.
two
Alexizzed wrote:

Great point..This is the best way to beat big groups of air units. If you are good with building an effective deverse group of units( my favorite group is locusts, engineers, anti air and banshees) and if you can pump out about 8-10 reavers or wolverines with engineers or nightingales you should be able to take out any air attack..also drawing them in closer to one of your bases with turrents really helps.
if you don't have the range to catch up to air, they have their y ability as well.
not to mention, wolverines and reavers are very costly.

the amount of energy required to pump them out means players must divert energy from upgrades in their armory/war council, which gives the opponent who employs air power yet another advantage

no one with an army of snipers has ever complained that they aren't able to annihilate infantry at a good ratio, and yet anti air consistently draws complaints.
You should be mainly focused on the power part of economy anyways.
The major problem is Air does not cost energy but Anti-Air does. So any noob can make air.
Zemidek wrote:
Well some air units are anti-vehicle. Wolverines and Reavers are vehicles so it kinda deafeats the purpose, also global upgrades make a difference.
What!? I HAD EVERYTHING!!!!!! I had Vehicle 3 and all that -Yoink- and STILL couldn't do anything.....!!!
Alexizzed wrote:

Did you even read the OP? I said I Micro'd, I had support, I had Vehicle 3, I brought shrouds, I used cloaking. I USED EVERYTHING!!!!! 8-10 Reavers my -Yoink- lol. I said the same thing until I actually faced guy's that had a full 120 pop army of air....

Vs. guys who actually know how to use mass air, AA barely makes a difference.

Alexizzed wrote:

Sentinels melt turrets and outrun AA. They also melt AA aswell...
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2