Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] Are Mantis Anti Everything?

OP Evanescence426

what do you guys think? I think they are too well rounded for my taste. I’m not saying you can’t beat them but it’s harder than it should be to counter.
Once they get their T3 upgrade they are a handful, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Mantis are very expensive as are their upgrades, you have to play well before you can make that investment, and afterwards I believe you should be rewarded.
Once they get their T3 upgrade they are a handful, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Mantis are very expensive as are their upgrades, you have to play well before you can make that investment, and afterwards I believe you should be rewarded.
This, and they're also very slow.

T3 tanks also smash them, with the exception of scorpions. Because scorpions suck.
Yeah mantis` fully upgraded are definitely one of the hardest armies to counter (with the Mech Overcharge ability being used in critical times part of this reason), but they are definitely not impossible to beat. They are excellent all round units and have an amazing DPM but they take a lot of initial investment, and time and putting pressure on Sgt Johnson in early game is the best way to counter them. Scorpions are really bad atm, so much so I see them once every 50 games or so in 3v3 and they are pretty useless against them. I think these days though, there`s "A lot of Armies that are too difficult to counter". Every army has a weakness, including air. And air is definitely good against mechs.
I found blister backs and hunters work well, air not so much haha. just throw in a few wolves and air isn’t an option anymore in my opinion. Maybe its better for hornets but my banshees got shredded by them and they were completely upgraded
Actually Mantis are only like 3.5 supplies more per pop compared to hogs. 400 power is not bad thing either and very cost effective in a fight to ALL T2. They are even capable of fighting off Hunters until T3. there is only a single issue. They are SUPER slow. On a big like vault, Mantis cant compete at all vs hogs. Mass air is also a issue because you cant fight air with either AA or Mantises by themselves. If you play againat a Johnson, your best bet is mass air or hogs to fight Mantis spam for harassment. With the coming nerfs to UNSC, Johnson's mid game will be untouchable with AV with AV sp you must play a game of mobility over firepower.
I’ve never had an issue against ‘em tbh. They’re so slow and usually LPs mop them up once mech overcharge is out of the picture.
I myself get rolled if they mass Mantis. They usually turtle too whichi i also have a hard time with that so fighting Johnson is an uphill fight without rushing them
what do you guys think? I think they are too well rounded for my taste. I’m not saying you can’t beat them but it’s harder than it should be to counter.
I disagree. IF your team is well rounded, they are easier than you think to defeat. But against infantry or anti-air, sure, you don't have a chance. Plus, you also need decent base defenses. I'm just not sure what works better at the base, anti-vehicle or anti-infantry?
3 Wolverines + the rest as mantises would probably trade about even against full pop air right now (After a full fight there would only be a few surviving units on either side). Full mantises + 6 wolverines would probably utterly wreck a pure air army in a direct fight. On the flipside T3 vehicles generally wreck mantises pretty well (Scorpions at least, especially with canister), especially if you have 6 wolverines in there. If I had to think of some sort of ideal "decent vs both air and vehicles" mix for Johnson it would be something like 4 nightengales, 6 wolverines, 6 Colossus, 10 Mantises. Facing more air? Swap in more wolverines/mantises. Facing more heavy vehicles? Swap in more colossus. A large benefit of the mantises beyond their overall decency against everything is their target designator. In effect it makes all your wolverines more effective vs air and all your colossus more effective vs ground (Technically it makes everything more effective vs everything but you'll obviously see it more pronounced in those cases).
I myself get rolled if they mass Mantis. They usually turtle too whichi i also have a hard time with that so fighting Johnson is an uphill fight without rushing them
Please don't revive old topics thanks