Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Artillery is ruining the game.

OP KillerConezzz

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
On maps like ashes it seems like your just banging your head on the wall for 45 minutes before the game goes anywhere. There needs to be a better counter for artillery. I try air, Wolverines counter. I try anti vehicle with a mass of engineers and shrouds, wolverines counter then I lose my AV units to the artillery. The only thing I've tried that has a remote chance of success is if I suicide a Scarab in to kill a base. The game is honestly not fun when you see Anders and serina nuking armies and making it impossible to play. The worst part is that these players that spam siege turrets / Kodiaks seem perfectly content for playing 2 hour long games. They don't even try to attack.
Kodiacs are easy to counter. Sounds like its the player at fault not the game.
And that easy counter is? I also never said they weren't counterable. Only that it is very anoying to see these super turtles happen so often.
I have found a good tactic to use fighting large bunches of artillery would be to use my honor guard to teleport the army right on top of the enemy. If there happens to be wolverines around, I displace them. Same thing with a fleet of banshees. However would only recommend displacing half the wolves that way you can wipe out the remaining ones along with the artillery. Proceed to fall back to heal your fleet, scout with your honor guard to check on the remaining half of the wolves.

You then glass them and finish off anything with your fleet afterwards.
It depends on the placement. If they are defending their side of the map, then you go for mixed armies with air and tanks plus a spartan. You can wipe out the base and kodiaks easily because half pop wolverines still don’t kill air fast enough to prevent you from doing damage. If they are in an offensive position, then you should have siege turrets of your own plus the same mix I said above.

A more advanced tactic because it requires good micro is have your own army go out and snipe bases while you use a 2-4 kodiaks plus siege to defend by using nightingale to acquire line of sight.

Every game I win with kodiaks comes down to the opponent not realizing they need a diverse army and siege turrets of their own.

Banished depends on the leader. Arbiter and Shipmaster are the more difficult ones to deal with.
I’ve managed to wreck Kodiaks as Voridus with Blisterbacks. Fly your Blisterbacks outside of the enemy’s vision and if you land them. Send your army to attack and the Blisterbacks will pelt the Kodiaks with infusion Missiles, slowing them down and dealing decent damage to them. This will force them to unlock their Kodiaks to move them out of Blisterback range, slowing them down for your anti-vehicle to kill, or stay in one spot, letting the Infusion and Blisterbacks to kill them.
And that easy counter is? I also never said they weren't counterable. Only that it is very anoying to see these super turtles happen so often.
Cyclops and Air units. Or hunters and air.

It isnt rocket science.

It isnt rocket science.
Kodiaks > AV units due to range and any air can easily be countered by wolverines. I already covered this in my original post. Try to imagine the enemies base is on the high ground (ashes, sentry, ECT ECT). Your infantry is more vulnerable to kodiaks/ siege turrets and if you suicide air units to trade with the Kodiaks, you haven't broken the enemy player. You still can't attack with air because of the wolverines that are defending. Even if you kill the Kodiaks you still have to contend with siege turrets as well. On the map ashes for example, all 3 bases can support each other with 1 watch tower 3 siege turrets. After fortification upgrades a single volley from any base would red bar hunters / cyclopses before they even get close.
I’ve managed to wreck Kodiaks as Voridus with Blisterbacks. Fly your Blisterbacks outside of the enemy’s vision and if you land them. Send your army to attack and the Blisterbacks will pelt the Kodiaks with infusion Missiles, slowing them down and dealing decent damage to them. This will force them to unlock their Kodiaks to move them out of Blisterback range, slowing them down for your anti-vehicle to kill, or stay in one spot, letting the Infusion and Blisterbacks to kill them.
I do play voridus a lot so I'll have to give this a try. However if the only counter to artillery is artillery then the game will just turn into arty wars and that will get stale quick.
Hell I've even sent in a spartan in to tear them apart...not really that difficult to deal with
So fun to use though

It isnt rocket science.
Kodiaks > AV units due to range and any air can easily be countered by wolverines. I already covered this in my original post. Try to imagine the enemies base is on the high ground (ashes, sentry, ECT ECT). Your infantry is more vulnerable to kodiaks/ siege turrets and if you suicide air units to trade with the Kodiaks, you haven't broken the enemy player. You still can't attack with air because of the wolverines that are defending. Even if you kill the Kodiaks you still have to contend with siege turrets as well. On the map ashes for example, all 3 bases can support each other with 1 watch tower 3 siege turrets. After fortification upgrades a single volley from any base would red bar hunters / cyclopses before they even get close.
Then build full pop cap of banshees/hornets and run through it. Cloak the banshees etc.

It isnt rocket science.
Then build full pop cap of banshees/hornets and run through it. Cloak the banshees etc.
A full pop of air will die to 8 or 9 wolverines and they detect stealth.

It isnt rocket science.
The situation(s) you are describing ive encountered many times. Its called turtling.

The only solution is *Air. 8 or 9 wolverines wont destroy a full pop of banshees. Even after the update.
Hell I've even sent in a spartan in to tear them apart...not really that difficult to deal with
So fun to use though
I play at onyx level and most players tend to defend their kodiaks or split them up so that they all cover each other. I suppose you can deal with a few using this method. (I've been doing it with cutter drops.) However the ones close to the base and siege turrets won't be brought down this way when their army shows up. When I'm making this post it's not specifically Kodiaks only that are being used. Most players will have some kind of force to move in between bases and defend. The one I most commonly see is Anders Kodiaks, snipers, wolverines, siege turrets, and vultures. With a possibility of a retriever coming out whenever you gain ground. Their are also similar problems when dealing with Serena
I was thinking a fun counter would be Arbiter's phantoms and hunters since the hunters would counter both, but scouting and line of sight is key. Use a shroud or a nightingale to cloak the unit and provide line of sight to siege turrets or blister backs of your own. They will move base on annoyment and that is your opportunity, to drop in leader powers or send in your army to cut them off. I usually save my leader powers and stack them to counter turtles since they would only have the units to defend with. Try to bait them to use their leader power terribly.

It isnt rocket science.
The situation(s) you are describing ive encountered many times. Its called turtling.

The only solution is *Air. 8 or 9 wolverines wont destroy a full pop of banshees. Even after the update.
What Halo Wars have you played? Guess i missed Halo Wars 3 launch. Unless your deci or even arby, 8-9 wolfs will beat mass Wolfs.

It isnt rocket science.

What Halo Wars have you played? Guess i missed Halo Wars 3 launch. Unless your deci or even arby, 8-9 wolfs will beat mass Wolfs.
8-9 wolfs will beat mass wolfs...

Okay...
On maps like ashes it seems like your just banging your head on the wall for 45 minutes before the game goes anywhere. There needs to be a better counter for artillery. I try air, Wolverines counter. I try anti vehicle with a mass of engineers and shrouds, wolverines counter then I lose my AV units to the artillery. The only thing I've tried that has a remote chance of success is if I suicide a Scarab in to kill a base. The game is honestly not fun when you see Anders and serina nuking armies and making it impossible to play. The worst part is that these players that spam siege turrets / Kodiaks seem perfectly content for playing 2 hour long games. They don't even try to attack.
I do slightly agree on Kodiaks being too strong but i think nerfing the damage AV takes from them will fix it. From my own exsperience, Marines and AA are too strong to use air such as Shrouds while Cyclopes have too little health and Hunters are too slow. Even if you Split, Artillery has a surprisingly large amount of health but it is still beatable. Anders and Serina are quite -Yoinked!- up though. Anders seige causes me to occasionally self destruct because you cant do anything with Ground units and Serina is far worse. One point and her artillery is instantly better besides firing in the fog of war.

It isnt rocket science.

8-9 wolfs will beat mass wolfs...

Okay...
Sorry... read that wrong... your right.
I do slightly agree on Kodiaks being too strong but i think nerfing the damage AV takes from them will fix it. From my own exsperience, Marines and AA are too strong to use air such as Shrouds while Cyclopes have too little health and Hunters are too slow. Even if you Split, Artillery has a surprisingly large amount of health but it is still beatable. Anders and Serina are quite -Yoinked!- up though. Anders seige causes me to occasionally self destruct because you cant do anything with Ground units and Serina is far worse. One point and her artillery is instantly better besides firing in the fog of war.
My thought on artillery was to slow down the fire rate. It would allow banished shrouds to block multiple shells easier, and nightengales could heal up units better in between volleys. In my opinion all forms of artillery should be for support and they should not stop pushes on there own.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3