Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Balance Patch Ideas for Individual Units

OP commando544

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
  1. Banshee's damage against vehicles reduced by 15% and bases by 20% ( Hornet damage against buildings reduced by 5% )
  2. Hornet damage against Vehicles increased by 10%, Wingman no longer gives HP buff.
  3. Wolverine ROF, damage and range increased by 20%, Movement speed by 10%, gains T3 upgrade that makes missiles do splash damage
  4. Reaver plasma cannon doubled damage and unit gains short damage boost after using predatory leap ability
  5. Marines get T3 upgrade that increases range, damage and HP
  6. Cutter can build ODST's, but must be unlocked via armory at T2 and can be built in barracks
  7. Cyclops armor increased by 30% while damage is increased by 5%
  8. Scarab shield now disables main beam attack when used
  9. Condor speed increased by 10%
  10. Hellbringers damage increased by 20% against buildings and infantry ( bonus damage to unit shields )
  11. Sniper damage upped by 10%, now comes in squads of 2 instead of 1
  12. Warthog gets rocketpod upgrade for T2 and gauss turret for T3
  13. Wolverine has power cost halved and it and Reavers have 2 seconds shaved off production time
  14. Brute Grunt squad gets T3 upgrade that deals double damage when below half health ( enraged brutes )
  15. Chopper ram does 3X damage against other vehicles but ramming speed lowered by 15% ( and loses target lock on mobile vehicles easily )
  16. Each Mantis upgrade adds 50 power cost per unit, vehicle speed upped by 5%
  17. Colossus armor reduced by 5%
  18. UNSC base turret damage overall increased by 10%
  19. UNSC Watchtower reduces all enemy units armor by 20% ( maxes out at 2 watchtowers for 30% armor reduction and units that lose cloak do not suffer armor reduction for 20 seconds )
  20. Siege Turrets deals 10% more damage
  21. Kodiak armor decreased by 10%, and gets a T3 upgrade that reduces fire rate by 10% but increases damage by 20%
  22. Jackrabbit T2 upgrade that gives permanent cloak ( or alternatively increase vision range by a factor of 1.5 )
  23. Locust T3 upgrade that increases damage by 20% but unit takes self damage at a 1:5 ratio ( vehicle upgrades do not increase self damage )
  24. All unit type upgrades buffed ( 15% level 1, 30% level 2 and 45% level 3 )
  25. Shroud can shoot down Vulture missiles
  26. Vulture phoenix missile power cost increased to 150 power per ability, phoenix missile damage reduced by 5%
  27. Atriox's Chosen shield reduced by 5%
  28. Honor Guard damage increased by 10%
  29. Goliath armor reduced by 10%
  30. Scorpion MG damage increased by 10% and main cannon damage increased by 5%
  31. Grizzly damage armor decreased by 5%, speed increased by 5%
  32. Marauder ROF increased by 5%
  33. Wraith HP reduced by 5%
  34. Jump Brutes damage increased by 10% and against infantry by 15%
  35. Elite Ranger HP and Damage increased by 10%
  36. Shipmaster has Jump Brutes replaced with Elite Enforcer
  37. Changes to Bases, the main structure gets a 5% damage reduction buff for every other building around it ( so a maxed out UNSC base would have it's center have 35% damage reduction for 7 build slots, turrets do not count )
  38. Hunters now deal decent damage to infantry, but only while not upgraded and armor increased by 15% ( so unupgraded hunters deal orange damage to infantry and vehicles, upgraded deals red to infantry but green to vehicles )
  39. Johnson and Anders gets T2 upgrade for marines that turns them into siphon marines ( replaces combat tech )
Feedback is welcome!
I'm very glad you're not apart of the balance team.
I'm very glad you're not apart of the balance team.
very nice of you to not actually give feedback.
As I was reading I was disagreeing with everything but when I reached this point:

"Cutter can build ODST"

I stopped reading, that's just preposterous.
As I was reading I was disagreeing with everything but when I reached this point:

"Cutter can build ODST"

I stopped reading, that's just preposterous.
Care to explain why? I didn't specify cost and they don't replace his marines.
As well as I said he can only build them in T2 after an armory upgrade that gives barracks the ability to build them.
Keeping in mind ODST's are very weak to air vehicles unlike their Marine counterparts.
90% up UNSC and 10% up BANISHED....balance???? I sure u only play unsc.....
90% up UNSC and 10% up BANISHED....balance???? I sure u only play unsc.....
I do play more UNSC and notice most UNSC units are straight up worse with no value, most banished units are fine as is and some of my ideas are global changes for both factions.
Banshee's damage against vehicles and bases reduced by 20%
Spoiler:
Show
Hornet damage against Vehicles increased by 10%
Spoiler:
Show
Wolverine ROF, damage and range increased by 20%, Movement speed by 10%, gains T3 upgrade that makes missiles do splash damage
Spoiler:
Show
Reaver plasma cannon doubled damage and unit gains short damage boost after using predatory leap ability
Spoiler:
Show
Cutter can build ODST's, but must be unlocked via armory at T2 and can be built in barracks
Spoiler:
Show
Sniper damage upped by 10%, now comes in squads of 2 instead of 1
Spoiler:
Show
Brute Grunt squad now deals double damage when below half health ( enraged brutes )
Spoiler:
Show
Chopper ram does 3X damage against other vehicles but HP lowered by 5% ( or 10% )
Spoiler:
Show
Each Mantis upgrade adds 50 power cost per unit
Spoiler:
Show
Colossus armor reduced by 5%
Spoiler:
Show
Watchtower reduces all enemy units armor by 20% ( maxes out at 2 watchtowers for 30% armor reduction )
Spoiler:
Show
Siege Turret deals 10% extra damage to bases
Spoiler:
Show
Jackrabbit T2 upgrade that gives permanent cloak
Spoiler:
Show
All unit type upgrades buffed ( 15% level 1, 30% level 2 and 45% level 3 )
Spoiler:
Show
EiTeNeR wrote:
Banshee's damage against vehicles and bases reduced by 20%
Spoiler:
Show
Hornet damage against Vehicles increased by 10%
Spoiler:
Show
Wolverine ROF, damage and range increased by 20%, Movement speed by 10%, gains T3 upgrade that makes missiles do splash damage
Spoiler:
Show
Reaver plasma cannon doubled damage and unit gains short damage boost after using predatory leap ability
Spoiler:
Show
Cutter can build ODST's, but must be unlocked via armory at T2 and can be built in barracks
Spoiler:
Show
Sniper damage upped by 10%, now comes in squads of 2 instead of 1
Spoiler:
Show
Brute Grunt squad now deals double damage when below half health ( enraged brutes )
Spoiler:
Show
Chopper ram does 3X damage against other vehicles but HP lowered by 5% ( or 10% )
Spoiler:
Show
Each Mantis upgrade adds 50 power cost per unit
Spoiler:
Show
Colossus armor reduced by 5%
Spoiler:
Show
Watchtower reduces all enemy units armor by 20% ( maxes out at 2 watchtowers for 30% armor reduction )
Spoiler:
Show
Siege Turret deals 10% extra damage to bases
Spoiler:
Show
Jackrabbit T2 upgrade that gives permanent cloak
Spoiler:
Show
All unit type upgrades buffed ( 15% level 1, 30% level 2 and 45% level 3 )
Spoiler:
Show
  1. Banshees are too strong against most units, and have a tendency to be unstoppable once a death ball forms so this is to make them easier to destroy when grouped up, of course this makes them weaker alone but people rarely build banshees in small numbers anyway
  2. Hornets are easily worse than banshees due to the banshee bomb upgrade, this buff is so hornets do a better job of killing vehicles
  3. ROF reduces over firing as there is a shorter delay before the next volley comes out to hit the target, this buff is so wolverines aren't -Yoink- ,and missiles currently do not have splash
  4. Just doubling the damage won't bring it anywhere near proper ground vehicles, this is so the unit has at least some form of defense against infantry
  5. ODST's Y ability is only good on offense and they are still weaker to air than normal marines, plus having a high cost to start production balances them out as well as high cost or unit pop per unit
  6. Snipers really aren't useful, their cost and production time makes them useless in T1 where they are needed most, this change would actually make them useful ( what about a T3 upgrade that gives the sniper AP rounds and can now snipe vehicles? )
  7. Make enraged a replacement for pack brother upgrade
  8. They would only dominate scouts if you let the chopper catch up to you, and the lower HP and maybe increased cost would ensure their numbers don't get too high ( or make damage modifier only 1.5/2X damage to vehicles )
  9. This change was intended so Johnson has more options than just "mantis ball lol" by increasing cost per upgrade that would keep cheesy death balls in smaller numbers and more easily countered
  10. HP and armor aren't the same, armor reduces incoming damage without effecting HP, this change would make anti-vehicle better at stopping them
  11. They only cost 100 supply but take up a turret slot and do nothing to stop attacks except giving you maybe a second of two of warning, this change would make them have purpose as they can actively contribute to the battle and have more worth in focus firing by enemies ( you could add 50 extra supply cost if you wanted )
  12. Siege turrets are annoying, but they aren't actually that good since the damage output is tiny compared to the cost and build time they take ( and doing nothing in the advent of a direct attack )
  13. Jackrabbits are useless outside of T1 or niche games, they are supposed to be scouts but lack vision, this change would allow them to actually do their job ( unless you'd prefer to up their vision range but then you risk cheesy jackrabbit koadiak attacks from super far away )
  14. Honestly the upgrades are pretty damn useless due to how early game starves you of energy, this change would make them far more worthwhile and give you more options in playing defensively instead of building an uber rush army
What Ideas would you have to make the game a bit more enjoyable overall?
As I was reading I was disagreeing with everything but when I reached this point:

"Cutter can build ODST"

I stopped reading, that's just preposterous.
Care to explain why? I didn't specify cost and they don't replace his marines.
As well as I said he can only build them in T2 after an armory upgrade that gives barracks the ability to build them.
Keeping in mind ODST's are very weak to air vehicles unlike their Marine counterparts.
Their C4 is devastating, it is already incredibly strong against buildings, and they're just 3 per drop.

Now imagine you had more than 3 squads, it would be way better than the vultures' missiles and there would never be a reason to build marines, because C4 > grenades, in fact they would be no reason to pick anything other than Cutter.

Not to mention they would counter every single type of ground unit.
As I was reading I was disagreeing with everything but when I reached this point:

"Cutter can build ODST"

I stopped reading, that's just preposterous.
Care to explain why? I didn't specify cost and they don't replace his marines.
As well as I said he can only build them in T2 after an armory upgrade that gives barracks the ability to build them.
Keeping in mind ODST's are very weak to air vehicles unlike their Marine counterparts.
Their C4 is devastating, it is already incredibly strong against buildings, and they're just 3 per drop.

Now imagine you had more than 3 squads, it would be way better than the vultures' missiles and there would never be a reason to build marines, because C4 > grenades, in fact they would be no reason to pick anything other than Cutter.

Not to mention they would counter every single type of ground unit.
C4 doesn't cloak and can easily be destroyed from range, ontop of a unit that's more expensive and takes more pop to build, keeping in mind you would only be able to mass produce them on T3 when your enemy will start building air and anti-infantry means it balances out as while they are more powerful they are still infantry with low armor and an ability that's only super good when used in conjunction with the drop pod stun as the C4 isn't instantly destroyed
Yeah, you know nothing about the game or how things work. All of your counter points are trash.

Check out the file to see the AOE for the missiles
wolverine tactics file
EiTeNeR wrote:
Banshee's damage against vehicles and bases reduced by 20%
Spoiler:
Show
Hornet damage against Vehicles increased by 10%
Spoiler:
Show
Wolverine ROF, damage and range increased by 20%, Movement speed by 10%, gains T3 upgrade that makes missiles do splash damage
Spoiler:
Show
Reaver plasma cannon doubled damage and unit gains short damage boost after using predatory leap ability
Spoiler:
Show
Cutter can build ODST's, but must be unlocked via armory at T2 and can be built in barracks
Spoiler:
Show
Sniper damage upped by 10%, now comes in squads of 2 instead of 1
Spoiler:
Show
Brute Grunt squad now deals double damage when below half health ( enraged brutes )
Spoiler:
Show
Chopper ram does 3X damage against other vehicles but HP lowered by 5% ( or 10% )
Spoiler:
Show
Each Mantis upgrade adds 50 power cost per unit
Spoiler:
Show
Colossus armor reduced by 5%
Spoiler:
Show
Watchtower reduces all enemy units armor by 20% ( maxes out at 2 watchtowers for 30% armor reduction )
Spoiler:
Show
Siege Turret deals 10% extra damage to bases
Spoiler:
Show
Jackrabbit T2 upgrade that gives permanent cloak
Spoiler:
Show
All unit type upgrades buffed ( 15% level 1, 30% level 2 and 45% level 3 )
Spoiler:
Show
  1. This change was intended so Johnson has more options than just "mantis ball lol" by increasing cost per upgrade that would keep cheesy death balls in smaller numbers and more easily countered
  2. HP and armor aren't the same, armor reduces incoming damage without effecting HP, this change would make anti-vehicle better at stopping them
  3. They only cost 100 supply but take up a turret slot and do nothing to stop attacks except giving you maybe a second of two of warning, this change would make them have purpose as they can actively contribute to the battle and have more worth in focus firing by enemies ( you could add 50 extra supply cost if you wanted )
What Ideas would you have to make the game a bit more enjoyable overall?
Johnsons best option that you say "mantis death ball lol" isn't even good because its extremely expensive, slow and very predictable. Nerfing him isn't the answer, buff his other areas. He's already a garbage leader.
Decreasing armor is basically the same thing, you don't know what you're talking about.
Ahh yes, making EVERYTHING take 20% MORE DAMAGE for NO REASON because they're trying to PUSH your base and KILL YOU but they can't because you build 1 watch tower and watched your 3 turrets clean everything up even faster. Again, I'm glad you aren't on the balance team.
Cyclops and wolverines need be better than that, they are pretty much useless atm... Main reason why I stick to banished right now(shrouds and more nukes are the other reason)
EiTeNeR wrote:
Yeah, you know nothing about the game or how things work. All of your counter points are trash.

Check out the file to see the AOE for the missiles
wolverine tactics file
Yo, where did you get that? 😱

Any place where we can see more of that?
As I was reading I was disagreeing with everything but when I reached this point:

"Cutter can build ODST"

I stopped reading, that's just preposterous.
Care to explain why? I didn't specify cost and they don't replace his marines.
As well as I said he can only build them in T2 after an armory upgrade that gives barracks the ability to build them.
Keeping in mind ODST's are very weak to air vehicles unlike their Marine counterparts.
Their C4 is devastating, it is already incredibly strong against buildings, and they're just 3 per drop.

Now imagine you had more than 3 squads, it would be way better than the vultures' missiles and there would never be a reason to build marines, because C4 > grenades, in fact they would be no reason to pick anything other than Cutter.

Not to mention they would counter every single type of ground unit.
C4 doesn't cloak and can easily be destroyed from range, ontop of a unit that's more expensive and takes more pop to build, keeping in mind you would only be able to mass produce them on T3 when your enemy will start building air and anti-infantry means it balances out as while they are more powerful they are still infantry with low armor and an ability that's only super good when used in conjunction with the drop pod stun as the C4 isn't instantly destroyed
Honestly, and without wanting to be a jerk, I think you need to play more and keep improving. Most of your points sound like things you struggle with. When you lose a game don't blame the game balance, instead try to reflect on your mistakes and ALWAYS check the game history on your service record, there's a bunch of graphs and build order lists from each of your games that can give you a better picture of why you're not winning.

I recommend you watch NAKAMURA RTS and S1r L1am on YouTube to see gameplay at a high level and how things can be exploited and how some things aren't really strong or unbeatable, like some people like to say here and there.
As I was reading I was disagreeing with everything but when I reached this point:

"Cutter can build ODST"

I stopped reading, that's just preposterous.
Care to explain why? I didn't specify cost and they don't replace his marines.
As well as I said he can only build them in T2 after an armory upgrade that gives barracks the ability to build them.
Keeping in mind ODST's are very weak to air vehicles unlike their Marine counterparts.
Their C4 is devastating, it is already incredibly strong against buildings, and they're just 3 per drop.

Now imagine you had more than 3 squads, it would be way better than the vultures' missiles and there would never be a reason to build marines, because C4 > grenades, in fact they would be no reason to pick anything other than Cutter.

Not to mention they would counter every single type of ground unit.
C4 doesn't cloak and can easily be destroyed from range, ontop of a unit that's more expensive and takes more pop to build, keeping in mind you would only be able to mass produce them on T3 when your enemy will start building air and anti-infantry means it balances out as while they are more powerful they are still infantry with low armor and an ability that's only super good when used in conjunction with the drop pod stun as the C4 isn't instantly destroyed
Honestly, and without wanting to be a jerk, I think you need to play more and keep improving. Most of your points sound like things you struggle with. When you lose a game don't blame the game balance, instead try to reflect on your mistakes and ALWAYS check the game history on your service record, there's a bunch of graphs and build order lists from each of your games that can give you a better picture of why you're not winning.

I recommend you watch NAKAMURA RTS and S1r L1am on YouTube to see gameplay at a high level and how things can be exploited and how some things aren't really strong or unbeatable, like some people like to say here and there.
I watch S1r L1am, and find high level gameplay rather boring and predictable as it's just a coin toss on better T1 scout micro into base rushing ( and T3 is just wraith/vulture spam) .
These changes are for what I see as the majority of players, this game has an issue where scouting is extremely important yet isn't viable ( where scouts are just bad, hiding armies or teleporting/pelican transports ) but counter play is so important ( keeping in mind how bad most counter units are ) so you end up in games where some guy will just pelican transport grizzlies or collosi onto your main and it's now a guaranteed loss since it takes a considerable amount of time to built up a counter-unit army and leader powers will only save you if you have a high number off of cooldown ( which might not even save you if they have some leader powers ready, like mech overcharge for example ).
Shawn96 wrote:
Cyclops and wolverines need be better than that, they are pretty much useless atm... Main reason why I stick to banished right now(shrouds and more nukes are the other reason)
Cyclops are decent and don't need to nuke tanks to be useful, and I feel the wolverine changes would be just enough to make them viable at killing air
EiTeNeR wrote:
Banshee's damage against vehicles and bases reduced by 20%
Spoiler:
Show
Hornet damage against Vehicles increased by 10%
Spoiler:
Show
Wolverine ROF, damage and range increased by 20%, Movement speed by 10%, gains T3 upgrade that makes missiles do splash damage
Spoiler:
Show
Reaver plasma cannon doubled damage and unit gains short damage boost after using predatory leap ability
Spoiler:
Show
Cutter can build ODST's, but must be unlocked via armory at T2 and can be built in barracks
Spoiler:
Show
Sniper damage upped by 10%, now comes in squads of 2 instead of 1
Spoiler:
Show
Brute Grunt squad now deals double damage when below half health ( enraged brutes )
Spoiler:
Show
Chopper ram does 3X damage against other vehicles but HP lowered by 5% ( or 10% )
Spoiler:
Show
Each Mantis upgrade adds 50 power cost per unit
Spoiler:
Show
Colossus armor reduced by 5%
Spoiler:
Show
Watchtower reduces all enemy units armor by 20% ( maxes out at 2 watchtowers for 30% armor reduction )
Spoiler:
Show
Siege Turret deals 10% extra damage to bases
Spoiler:
Show
Jackrabbit T2 upgrade that gives permanent cloak
Spoiler:
Show
All unit type upgrades buffed ( 15% level 1, 30% level 2 and 45% level 3 )
Spoiler:
Show
  1. This change was intended so Johnson has more options than just "mantis ball lol" by increasing cost per upgrade that would keep cheesy death balls in smaller numbers and more easily countered
  2. HP and armor aren't the same, armor reduces incoming damage without effecting HP, this change would make anti-vehicle better at stopping them
  3. They only cost 100 supply but take up a turret slot and do nothing to stop attacks except giving you maybe a second of two of warning, this change would make them have purpose as they can actively contribute to the battle and have more worth in focus firing by enemies ( you could add 50 extra supply cost if you wanted )
What Ideas would you have to make the game a bit more enjoyable overall?
Johnsons best option that you say "mantis death ball lol" isn't even good because its extremely expensive, slow and very predictable. Nerfing him isn't the answer, buff his other areas. He's already a garbage leader.
Decreasing armor is basically the same thing, you don't know what you're talking about.
Ahh yes, making EVERYTHING take 20% MORE DAMAGE for NO REASON because they're trying to PUSH your base and KILL YOU but they can't because you build 1 watch tower and watched your 3 turrets clean everything up even faster. Again, I'm glad you aren't on the balance team.
Expensive 250 supply? that's not expensive for a unit that scales incredibly well into T3 and has high durability plus synergy with several of his leader powers, I already posted buffs for anti-vehicle units too. Decreasing armor reduces effective HP but ensures more damage is taken at a single point in combat, plus this means faster healing ( compared to using armor as straight up HP ) and I only suggested it for watchtowers.
you'd rather keep the same old meta of bases being completely defenseless since watchtowers and turrets do nothing against focused enemy attacks? a 20% armor reduction doesn't guarantee a defensive win, it's to help make UNSC bases not complete trash compared to their Banished counterparts.
EiTeNeR wrote:
Banshee's damage against vehicles and bases reduced by 20%
Spoiler:
Show
Hornet damage against Vehicles increased by 10%
Spoiler:
Show
Wolverine ROF, damage and range increased by 20%, Movement speed by 10%, gains T3 upgrade that makes missiles do splash damage
Spoiler:
Show
Reaver plasma cannon doubled damage and unit gains short damage boost after using predatory leap ability
Spoiler:
Show
Cutter can build ODST's, but must be unlocked via armory at T2 and can be built in barracks
Spoiler:
Show
Sniper damage upped by 10%, now comes in squads of 2 instead of 1
Spoiler:
Show
Brute Grunt squad now deals double damage when below half health ( enraged brutes )
Spoiler:
Show
Chopper ram does 3X damage against other vehicles but HP lowered by 5% ( or 10% )
Spoiler:
Show
Each Mantis upgrade adds 50 power cost per unit
Spoiler:
Show
Colossus armor reduced by 5%
Spoiler:
Show
Watchtower reduces all enemy units armor by 20% ( maxes out at 2 watchtowers for 30% armor reduction )
Spoiler:
Show
Siege Turret deals 10% extra damage to bases
Spoiler:
Show
Jackrabbit T2 upgrade that gives permanent cloak
Spoiler:
Show
All unit type upgrades buffed ( 15% level 1, 30% level 2 and 45% level 3 )
Spoiler:
Show
  1. This change was intended so Johnson has more options than just "mantis ball lol" by increasing cost per upgrade that would keep cheesy death balls in smaller numbers and more easily countered
  2. HP and armor aren't the same, armor reduces incoming damage without effecting HP, this change would make anti-vehicle better at stopping them
  3. They only cost 100 supply but take up a turret slot and do nothing to stop attacks except giving you maybe a second of two of warning, this change would make them have purpose as they can actively contribute to the battle and have more worth in focus firing by enemies ( you could add 50 extra supply cost if you wanted )
What Ideas would you have to make the game a bit more enjoyable overall?
Johnsons best option that you say "mantis death ball lol" isn't even good because its extremely expensive, slow and very predictable. Nerfing him isn't the answer, buff his other areas. He's already a garbage leader.
Decreasing armor is basically the same thing, you don't know what you're talking about.
Ahh yes, making EVERYTHING take 20% MORE DAMAGE for NO REASON because they're trying to PUSH your base and KILL YOU but they can't because you build 1 watch tower and watched your 3 turrets clean everything up even faster. Again, I'm glad you aren't on the balance team.
Expensive 250 supply? that's not expensive for a unit that scales incredibly well into T3 and has high durability plus synergy with several of his leader powers, I already posted buffs for anti-vehicle units too. Decreasing armor reduces effective HP but ensures more damage is taken at a single point in combat, plus this means faster healing ( compared to using armor as straight up HP ) and I only suggested it for watchtowers.
you'd rather keep the same old meta of bases being completely defenseless since watchtowers and turrets do nothing against focused enemy attacks? a 20% armor reduction doesn't guarantee a defensive win, it's to help make UNSC bases not complete trash compared to their Banished counterparts.
They're 325, this already tells me you don't know what you're talking about if you're that far off their price.
You barely have 300 games under your belt.
Bases aren't completely defenseless at all, in fact they're to hard to crack because UNSC turrets are very strong and Banished shields are hard to crack.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3