Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Balance Patch Ideas for Individual Units

OP commando544

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
You do know that RTS is balanced at the highest level, right? Do you primarily play RTS games or Halo games? My guess is Halo games.

That's why this game's low level community can be so insufferable. They are completely ignorant of the fundamentals of RTS. Players will all get better over time, so it makes the most sense to balance the game based around the most optimized level of play. People can complain that it makes the casual experience worse, but think about it this way: why should players that put in the hours and effort to get good at the game have to deal with a game that's poorly balanced at a high level because casual players want everything based around them?

I know you'll try to argue against this, but this is literally just the truth about RTS games. Ask any RTS dev, they will tell you they balanced their game around 1v1s at a high level (unless the game is a marked departure from traditional RTS). So yes, "you don't know enough about the game" is a valid argument. You can't understand the game's balance unless you're operating at a certain level of skill. Imagine a 2nd grade math student is thrown into calculus and starts making -Yoink- up and asserting that they're right.

tl;dr: git gud
So the game should be unfun at all other levels of play so that the top levels of play can continue their scout rushing at T1 while the rest of the game suffers elsewhere
So the game should be unfun at all other levels of play so that the top levels of play can continue their scout rushing at T1 while the rest of the game suffers elsewhere
Well, for one, "scout rushing T1" just shows how little you know about high level play.

And secondly, if the game is unfun for you, I have a solution. Either work to get better or organize a group of similar-skilled players to play customs with. Or just quit the game. From what I've read here, you don't seem cut out for it.
Well, for one, "scout rushing T1" just shows how little you know about high level play.

And secondly, if the game is unfun for you, I have a solution. Either work to get better or organize a group of similar-skilled players to play customs with. Or just quit the game. From what I've read here, you don't seem cut out for it.
for one, it's true that high tier gameplay is almost always decided in the T1 scout rush, and T3 is just wraiths and vultures
and second, neither of those solutions proposed by you are actually good or address the issues this game faces. From what I've read here, you don't seem to actually care about the game or the state it was left in.
for one, it's true that high tier gameplay is almost always decided in the T1 scout rush, and T3 is just wraiths and vultures
and second, neither of those solutions proposed by you are actually good or address the issues this game faces. From what I've read here, you don't seem to actually care about the game or the state it was left in.
Lmao, just stop. I've played the game since release, participated in countless tournaments and won a few as well. I was part of a balance testing group directly involved with 343. Then a rando on a forum tells me what the meta is and that I don't care about the game. Okay buddy.
Lmao, just stop. I've played the game since release, participated in countless tournaments and won a few as well. I was part of a balance testing group directly involved with 343. Then a rando on a forum tells me what the meta is and that I don't care about the game. Okay buddy.
Then you did a laughable job at balance testing, guess we should blame you for the horrendous balance and stale map selection, as well as some of the either trash leaders or OP leader
Then you did a laughable job at balance testing, guess we should blame you for the horrendous balance and stale map selection, as well as some of the either trash leaders or OP leader
The balance testing wasn't the problem, but of course you wouldn't know because you weren't involved. You'd rather just spew ignorance and vitriol.

The problem was how unreceptive and slow the devs were. Even then, it's not entirely their fault, because the support for the game was withdrawn far too quickly after the DLC was all over and done with.

This is how it would go- we would suggest changes, and some would make it and others wouldn't. Then some random change proposed by the dev would be put in against the wishes of the testers. https://imgur.com/bjzl8Mk Here's an example. This is why the Jerome hero was broken for so long. They literally just didn't listen.

And map selection? What the hell is a balance tester supposed to do about maps? Go smoke a cigarette for the love of God, being blatantly wrong on the internet is not a good way to blow off steam.
The balance testing wasn't the problem, but of course you wouldn't know because you weren't involved. You'd rather just spew ignorance and vitriol.

The problem was how unreceptive and slow the devs were. Even then, it's not entirely their fault, because the support for the game was withdrawn far too quickly after the DLC was all over and done with.

This is how it would go- we would suggest changes, and some would make it and others wouldn't. Then some random change proposed by the dev would be put in against the wishes of the testers. https://imgur.com/bjzl8Mk Here's an example. This is why the Jerome hero was broken for so long. They literally just didn't listen.

And map selection? What the hell is a balance tester supposed to do about maps? Go smoke a cigarette for the love of God, being blatantly wrong on the internet is not a good way to blow off steam.
At least I'm on the forums trying to make the game, but hey I guess it's better to shutup and let the game continue to rot across the majority of it's skillbase

It's interesting to note how the devs don't actually listen but tbh we've known this for a while, why else would the balance patch feedback thread be so heated.
343 never had any intention to fix the game, why else would issues since launch be present
At least I'm on the forums trying to make the game, but hey I guess it's better to shutup and let the game continue to rot across the majority of it's skillbase

It's interesting to note how the devs don't actually listen but tbh we've known this for a while, why else would the balance patch feedback thread be so heated.
343 never had any intention to fix the game, why else would issues since launch be present
Whats exactly interesting of developers not knowing how to do their job and listen to players that know their game better than themselves? They legit don't know what they're doing, we asked for a Forge nerf and they nerf Hero thats great but than they decide to buff Scatterbomb for some ungodly reason like the best 6 o'clock needed it?
I just want air nerfed lol. Especially vulture's Phoenix missiles damage against buildings. Everything else feels like it's in a pretty good spot.
Bro you smoking crazy update you have🤣👏

Spains got quite the point, even if his responses come off as somewhat aggressive.

A lot of low levels complains about balance issues when they themselves dont fully understand the meta or know the fundamentals of RTS games. I've played way too many games where the enemies build Jack-all until the 7 minute mark where by then I just steam roll them with just a somewhat strong T2 or T3 army then they complain about rushes. Even more players hunker down at their bases for 20 minutes, have horrible base build orders, dont go for map control at T1, or even build any T1 units for that matter while expecting to not be beaten when the enemy just expands, builds a stronger eco and what not.

Is air strong? yes if massed in 3v3's and if not scouted or prepared for but in the majority of cases players dont anticipate or think about creating any AA units *just* in case there is air. Even when they do I see too many players build 3-4 AA thinking that would do anything to Air? or these players try to pump out AA from a single factory.
The reality is Air can be so easily shut down in T2 with a few reavers and that'll scare the enemy out of building any more. Watch any high level games and you'll see a very distinct lack of air as it is dominated so easily.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3