Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Banished Got Far Better/Cheaper Units Than UNSC

OP RandomlyFish

I started out just playing the UNSC and struggled a lot, most matches I would loose by a landslide. But now that I tried out the Banished, I have been winning 9 out of 10 matches. It's quite clearly because they have better/cheaper cards. Sure, I might not have unlocked all cards yet, but I'm Rank 8, so I feel like I have unlocked enough cards at this point.

UNSC 30:
Cyclops (Mech) (1, 3, 0)

Banished 30:
Ghost (Shield) (2, 2, 1)
Elite Rangers (3, 1, 1)

Not only does the Banished have more options, the ghost seem quite a lot more useful because how fast it is, and since it can be effective against more kind of units.

UNSC 40:
Wolverine (Detect) (1, 1, 3)

Banished 40:
Hunters (1, 3, 0)
Locust (Shield) (2, 2, 1)

The Locust is way too powerful and got too long range for it's cost. If you place at least 3 of them between B and C, it makes it really difficult for the other team to deal with them and as you place more of them in that spot, it makes it almost impossible for the other team to take over any of those sites.

UNSC 50:
Nightingale (Detect, Support) (0, 0, 0)

Banished 50:
Assault Elites (Rush, Detect) (3, 1, 1)
Engineer (Detect, Support) (0, 0, 0)
Grunt Mob (Rush) (2, 1, 2)

Both healers are fairly similar, though the Engineer's shield ability seem to make it better. The Banished also got far more options at this low cost which is especially useful.

UNSC 60:
Warthog (3, 2, 2)

Banished 60:
Banshee (2, 3, 2)
Bloodfuel Locust (Siphon, Shield) (2, 2, 1)

The warthog might be stronger than the banshee, but the banshee got the advantage since it can quickly fly to strongholds. And having a second Locust that isn't a lot more expensive means you can quickly build a lot of them. Which I mentioned, is extremely difficult to deal with.

I could keep listing them off, but the pattern seem to continue for each tier of cost. Especially when it comes to the UNSC's Kodiak (that costs 100), which is their long range unit. It doesn't seem a whole lot better than the Locust, despite it's cost.

The idea seems to be that the banished is supposed to have weaker units, at a lower cost, while the UNSC have more powerful units, but they cost more. That can work well, it just needs to be tweaked heavily.
It's because you are using the wrong cards for the situation every troop has their advantages and disadvantages so use them wisely also your teams might be doing that if you aren't.
It's because you are using the wrong cards for the situation every troop has their advantages and disadvantages so use them wisely also your teams might be doing that if you aren't.
This. I main Atriox and I still have decent Andres/Cutter deck's kicking my -Yoink!- in the 1v1 playlist. Same with ship master. I could pull my deck out for him every once in a while, but if I don't use flanking, map knowledge (for capping points whilst the enemy is distracted) and camo to my advantage, I'm screwed. It's not the faction. It's your deck.

(Also, are you using the default deck? If so, I would NOT recommend using it at all)

The only nerf I would agree with is the Locust, as it is questionably OP. But then you have the extremely high tier stuff on the UNSC side that is OP as hell as well (Spartans, Condor, Ghost in the Machine/GitM, etc.) The Scarab really doesn't stand a chance against either one of those. (Yes, it could use it's shield, but still, Condor would be able to do a decent chunk of damage to it)
If that's the case, and both factions are balanced, then the skill gap between the two shouldn't be as high as it is. I played for around 7 hours with just UNSC trying to figure out some strategy, but nothing I tried seemed to work too well. As soon as I started using the Banished I have been winning at least 9 out of 10 matches. Even now that I better understand the game, I still struggle with the UNSC and I can't really figure out what I should be doing differently.

For example, I was using the Locust strategy with around 5 of them, as well as 2 Engineers, that both used their shield ability. The enemy spawned a Scarab on top of them, but didn't manage to kill any of them because of the shields, and they even killed the Scarab. When people can't even beat your low cost units with a super unit, something is very wrong with the balance.

An airstrike doesn't even kill them either. And even if they die, I can just replace them since they're so cheap.
If that's the case, and both factions are balanced, then the skill gap between the two shouldn't be as high as it is. I played for around 7 hours with just UNSC trying to figure out some strategy, but nothing I tried seemed to work too well. As soon as I started using the Banished I have been winning at least 9 out of 10 matches. Even now that I better understand the game, I still struggle with the UNSC and I can't really figure out what I should be doing differently.

For example, I was using the Locust strategy with around 5 of them, as well as 2 Engineers, that both used their shield ability. The enemy spawned a Scarab on top of them, but didn't manage to kill any of them because of the shields, and they even killed the Scarab. When people can't even beat your low cost units with a super unit, something is very wrong with the balance.

An airstrike doesn't even kill them either. And even if they die, I can just replace them since they're so cheap.
I usually target replacement reinforcements if I can find them. Even doing a small amount of damage will prevent them from getting the full health. Deployment Fatigue is useful for a reason. Take advantage of the enemy's downfall when you can (But try to focus more on kills as well. Don't blindly challenge every enemy that goes through Deployment Fatigue.)
This. I main Atriox and I still have decent Andres/Cutter deck's kicking my -Yoink!- in the 1v1 playlist. Same with ship master. I could pull my deck out for him every once in a while, but if I don't use flanking, map knowledge (for capping points whilst the enemy is distracted) and camo to my advantage, I'm screwed. It's not the faction. It's your deck.

(Also, are you using the default deck? If so, I would NOT recommend using it at all)

The only nerf I would agree with is the Locust, as it is questionably OP. But then you have the extremely high tier stuff on the UNSC side that is OP as hell as well (Spartans, Condor, Ghost in the Machine/GitM, etc.) The Scarab really doesn't stand a chance against either one of those. (Yes, it could use it's shield, but still, Condor would be able to do a decent chunk of damage to it)
First of all for me the condor always destroys my scarab, and second ya I think it is decks it also has luck for what you get in your hand and what you and your enemy's and your ally's use and are able to use for example my team knocks out my armies sometimes by spawning a scarab on it and it walks all over my units and crushes them, but then there is the unsc vs banished now super units condor always wins it doesn't kill friendly units and it has more damage but I agree with you and that should answer you too RandomlyFish.

I usually target replacement reinforcements if I can find them. Even doing a small amount of damage will prevent them from getting the full health. Deployment Fatigue is useful for a reason. Take advantage of the enemy's downfall when you can (But try to focus more on kills as well. Don't blindly challenge every enemy that goes through Deployment Fatigue.)

First of all for me the condor always destroys my scarab, and second ya I think it is decks it also has luck for what you get in your hand and what you and your enemy's and your ally's use and are able to use for example my team knocks out my armies sometimes by spawning a scarab on it and it walks all over my units and crushes them, but then there is the unsc vs banished now super units condor always wins it doesn't kill friendly units and it has more damage but I agree with you and that should answer you too RandomlyFish.
I don't know what else to tell you, so I thought I'd record matches: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RandomlyFish/videosI would have uploaded more, but I ran out of space on their server. But I played 16 matches with similarly ranked players, where I only lost 1.

And I lost once, because my team mate pushed their army to A, where all of their units died. And while we would have won otherwise I learned that I had to add a few units on B to help push in those cases, as well as spreading out my Locusts to avoid them all getting hit by airstrikes. Which doesn't hurt since they got such a long range. And the fact that I was able to win almost every time without really trying, and not even communicate with my team mate, says something about the balance.

Now Image if both people on your team used this strategy, you could probably prevent the other team from leaving spawn completely.

I'm not saying I couldn't have won as UNSC, but I couldn't have dominated as hard as I did, since they don't have any good low cost units. I also rely heavily on cheap and fast units to steal as much energy as possible, which is a problem with UNSC since they only got the one for 20.

I don't know what else to tell you, so I thought I'd record matches: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RandomlyFish/videosI would have uploaded more, but I ran out of space on their server. But I played 16 matches with similarly ranked players, where I only lost 1.

And I lost once, because my team mate pushed their army to A, where all of their units died. And while we would have won otherwise I learned that I had to add a few units on B to help push in those cases, as well as spreading out my Locusts to avoid them all getting hit by airstrikes. Which doesn't hurt since they got such a long range. And the fact that I was able to win almost every time without really trying, and not even communicate with my team mate, says something about the balance.

Now Image if both people on your team used this strategy, you could probably prevent the other team from leaving spawn completely.

I'm not saying I couldn't have won as UNSC, but I couldn't have dominated as hard as I did, since they don't have any good low cost units. I also rely heavily on cheap and fast units to steal as much energy as possible, which is a problem with UNSC since they only got the one for 20.
All I have to say is use them and see what they're useful for.