Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

[Locked] Banning noobs under lvl 40 from Ranked play

OP Oakenshield6688

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So we all know that the matchmaking is a joke and is often unfairly matched however the scourge of this game trying to rank up, is getting stuffed with two noobs on 2v2 or 3v3 ranked play.

If i had a dollar for everytime i got lumped with two noobs who just didnt know how to remotely play the game but thought oh i wont play teamwar and learn the game i'll go straight into a ranked leaderboard and just sit there and do **** all every game.

The worst bit is they dont even accept advice the common response being "i dont care if we lose" which is all good and well but dont go into a ranked game and ruin other peoples progression with your ignorance.

I believe the Ranked servers should be locked until at least rank 40 to be honest i'd argue rank 50 by then they will have learnt the majority of the leaders and general gameplay so they dont just sit there and do nothing for 25 mins. If it even gets that far! What do people think overly harsh? Or just a problem that clearly nobody has had the balls to speak up on and call out!.

And before people go oh just party up and dont play with randoms you shouldn't have to party up all the time just to avoid a blatent issue the game designers have avoided because of "inclusion" worries with the playerbase.
Putting a level requirement in ranked playlists (at least team playlists) would also help, but not solve, the smurfing issue that plagues ranked. I have seen the idea of instating a level requirement many times now, and it’s been greeted by mixed opinions.

For your issue, specially, a level requirement wouldn’t do too much. I understand the logic of higher level = more experience = higher skilled, though, it doesn’t always work like that. Everyone learns at different speeds and everyone has different backgrounds. A level 30 with a large RTS background will likely be better than a level 99 who only plays against the AI.

Man, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played level 99’s that truly have no idea what they’re doing.

So, all in all, if this feature were added, I think it may reduce the odds of getting less experienced players ever so slightly, but you’re still going to get matched up/against weaker players, a lot.
Joker has summed it up well. My immediate thought was simply lol no. Not everyone below 40 is a noob and not everyone over 40 is a good player. Also team games are different to solo, how would newer players learn what team games are all about if they were excluded for so long. I honestly feel your pain (I solo queue team matches myself) but I have started treating team games as purely fun and just ignore ranking. I mean how can it mean anything when teams are able to play against solo queue players, hardly a level playing field. But I dont begrudge that, I just dont take the playlist seriously at all.
Hmm yer you both make valid points! I mean i played with a lvl 77 the other day who made me want to cry. But thats just ppl who have a pure rush game but next to no mid or late game experience.

Thing is though you have team war which is a non ranked perfect enviroment for players that dont care and can learn the game, this needs to be supported more with a dedicated 2v2 and 3v3 servers. Not the current select team war and we will dump you into whatever we can find games. I know there's a lot of player turn over on this game which is good for the games longevity i just dont want to be stuck with idiots who dont care and dont know there **** because their too ignorant to play AI and teamwar first and learn.

I still feel a ban is the best way i'd rather get less games overall and have a hopefully slightly better matched game rather than the lvl 14 dog**** i get atm on this every damn day!.

Mybe a system where the cap is on hours in match played might be slightly better im not sure? For instance ranked play is unlocked after 100 in game hours played on teamwar or vs ai with other players.
I dont agree with this.

Im lv 20, and i have a long way to go until i get lv40.
I only play ranked games. If I were to be blocked from ranked MP games, I would stop playing this game altogether.
Im sure many others wouldn't bother with MP either if it wasn't ranked.
Instead of blocking new players, just make the teams balanced. If you an unranked player into 1 team, balance it out by putting
another unranked into the other team

A good example is a match I had 2 rounds ago( quote from my other post )

Quote:
My team:
unranked - unranked - platinum 1
VS
diamond1 - diamond4 - platinum4

Why cant the system shuffle the teams and make a fair match.
the same players could have been placed into teams like this:

unranked - diamond1 - platinum4
unranked - diamond4 - platinum1
Which would have been more fair on every level.
The problem is Raineeger thats never going to happen lol, the games been out this long now i mean were in season 11 for christ sake so clearly the matchmaking is going to stay as it is.

To be honest in most games with ranked play an average lvl system is used like in this game but its more often than not, Not fair. Why should higher lvl players get lumped with low lvls who cost them the game through their derp play and lose a lot of ranked points which takes a long time to build back up again?.
I was literally just in a 3v3 game everybody on my team over rank 65 against their team not even 1 player above rank 30 we slaughtered them in less than 15 mins. Problem is it wasnt any fun, i get pretty much no ranked points from beating those low lvls and they learnt nothing from that experience. It wastes everybodies time and patience it doesnt suit anybody to have really low ranks in an unmatched ranked play server period! no matter which way you spin it. (Unless you have a dedicated lower ranks board or its fairly matched which most games never are) the status quo as it is, is dog****. I didnt even touch ranked play until i was lvl 34! Because i didnt want to inflict losses on others due to my inexperience. I would never join a ranked server and just go out well nvm its only a game or im learning as i play on a ranked board i think its rude and frankly ignorant in my opinion.

I'd rather something be done and some people feel left out for the benefit of the majority of others rather than atm just dashboarding when i see the ranks im stuck with knowing im gunna get raped in a 3v1. so i dont lose ranked points
The problem isn't low ranking players being in ranked games. That's how you rank up, you play with others in a competitive way.
The problem is that these low ranked players get lumped together in one team, and matched against high ranks on the other team.

I understand that its an AI that does the matchmaking, but it wouldn't be that difficult to add a simple and basic sanity check after the match has been set up by the AI.
E.g loop over all the players in 1 team and see if all the players in the other team are higher ranking, if yes, swap players.

The game that I just finished takes the cake for being ridiculously unfair.
I knew the game was over at 4th minute, and at 5th minute my base was gone and an ally had disconnected.

My last game teams:

Me( platinum 1, unranked, unranked)
VS
Diamond 1, Platinum 4, 163 Champion

It also seemed to be a pre-made based on their teamwork.

Like...the -Yoink- is going on here :D
Put an unranked into both teams...and im fine with it.
Put a champ into both teams...fine.

Why this ?
If it's a pre made or party team then its fixed like that and won't be altered. The only thing you could hope for is that your team would be better balanced against it. I very much doubt that there is anyone much above diamond or maybe low onyx who honestly does alot of solo queueing.
Except level doesn't mean much, I've been playing a lot lately and I saw a lot of 50+ who were bad and and some 30- who were great.

Sometimes I wonder how you can get to level 80+ and be very average like literally play sim city.
I think we should ban all level 98s and below from ranked
lvl 20 would probably be a good start to slightly help with smurfs and brand new players matching up with better players
IxJeddeyxI wrote:
I think we should ban all level 98s and below from ranked
Not sure if you are joking, but I'd happily grind out my last 25 levels in Team War to get into that club!
I'm somewhere around lvl 56 and am still terrible at this game. Will it prevent noobs? Yes. Will it stop dumb people who play a lot? No.
Putting a level requirement in ranked playlists (at least team playlists) would also help, but not solve, the smurfing issue that plagues ranked. I have seen the idea of instating a level requirement many times now, and it’s been greeted by mixed opinions.

For your issue, specially, a level requirement wouldn’t do too much. I understand the logic of higher level = more experience = higher skilled, though, it doesn’t always work like that. Everyone learns at different speeds and everyone has different backgrounds. A level 30 with a large RTS background will likely be better than a level 99 who only plays against the AI.

Man, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve played level 99’s that truly have no idea what they’re doing.

So, all in all, if this feature were added, I think it may reduce the odds of getting less experienced players ever so slightly, but you’re still going to get matched up/against weaker players, a lot.
You are correct.

I had a rank 93 forge on my team yesterday. He was on my team twice, first match quit straight away after his base got cryo rushed by serina. Second match wasnt too bad but definitely not what you would think a rank 93 would be capable of.

In general, yes higher rank = longer playtime which you would think means more skill. 7/10 times in my experience it is true, most players above 50 ive played are really quite good. But xp rank is not everything.

Will it help to have a requirement? Yes, but 40 is too high. 20 i think is fair.
Honestly if we are going down this route all you have to do is if you fail to achieve say a 1v3 Vs legendary bots you can't play ranked. Obviously bots are easy but it gives a better cut off then just level.
Idk about lvl 40 but i think people should be restricted from ranking till they hit lvl 20 so they get a feel of the game.
It's interesting to see that most people would be in favour of some sort of lvl requirement around lvl 20 mybe for ranked team play. Hopefully this might be looked at and implemented in some fashion or we can all just keep leaving lobbies until they fix it!.

And dread those free to play weekends :(
I agree with having a set level to enter rank. So you can keep out smurfs and hope that the people playing have a bit more experience with the game. Also Rainbow 6 has a set level to enter rank play so I don't see a reason why Halo can't do the same.
I've actually played with some low ranked players who were much better than me and some very high ranked players who were really bad, it's pot luck.
Many of you are talking about how people people at 60 should not fight someone at 15 or vise versa; but these values dont decide skill, only experience. This will not stop new players from losing against long term exsperts or new but vet rts player. This will only make matchmade harder with the already small player base by preventing players from playing with cut playlists or your going to split the player base from rank games period until a specifiec level and end with the same result. A small split player base. These issues are incoherently not 343s fault such as smurfing as one profile gives xbox live to all players on a single console including smurfs. Not every player should be prevented from playing real people just because of a few smurfs and, lets face it, the AI sucks while the Campaign, also super broken, is one of the worst in the series. This leaves only multiplayer for some people with competitive spirits but taking that away would likely cut and prevent new players. You cant add unranked playlists either as the player base is super small. Remember how PC used to be? You could not find anyone to play as everyone played console, at least most. I hope you understand my arguements here that this would only further harm HW2 or even be the final nail in the coffin for Halo Wars.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2