Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Best AA in the game: Colony, or Johnson?

OP Affest

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Of course, reading the title you'd probably think "wtf, johnson's AA is stock though.." Im talking about Mantises. It seems to me that Mantises are the best AA in the game right now. I say this because they have no projectile travel time- aside from their rockets, their dps is constant and can adapt very quickly, meaning no "overkill" or wasted shots (again, aside from the rockets), and they have the added toughness and ability to take advantage of 2 of Johnson's very useful leader powers: Combat Salvage and Mech Overcharge. Oh, and EMP Mac Blast.

Colony is definitely top-tier when it comes to AA as it's Vehicle Symbiotes and the occasional skitterer can buff Reavers to a ridiculous level. Paired with combat repair, reavers are just crazy tough. The Y ability is super duper situational, but its there just incase the situation calls for it. They do have "overkill" though, and suffer from the automatic focus-firing mechanic that all other dedicated AA units are coded with.

So the question is, which of these leaders (or any others you can think of) have the best AA units in the game? (I'm sure someone will mention yapyap, but I hardly play him so I honestly have no idea how great Heavy Grunts are)
By the logic with Colony, why wouldn't Decimus's Reavers be better than colony? They're faster, do more damage, AND heal. No one ever gets veh Symbi from my experiences.
By the logic with Colony, why wouldn't Decimus's Reavers be better than colony? They're faster, do more damage, AND heal. No one ever gets veh Symbi from my experiences.
Symbiotes are a must-have in PvP when dealing with mass-air, and the armor boost on structures is amazing. So I'm pretty surprised that you don't think anyone ever uses them.

Moving on. Colony's Reavers are much better than Decimus's. Increased damage isn't needed on Reavers in PvP as long as you're upgrading them from the Foundry- extra dps will likely just result in more overkill if you have more than 2-3. They do fine without it. As for the siphon, it's definitely helpful but it does require active combat. Combat Repair does not. It is constant and permanent.

Paired with symbiotes and a skit, a colony Reaver will always out-class a decimus reaver. They have increased armor, hp, constant healing, range (arguably much more important than speed, as range allows them to begin firing before enemy air even sees them) and are better at defending against non-AA units than Decimus Reavers.
Affest wrote:
Symbiotes are a must-have in PvP when dealing with mass-air, and the armor boost on structures is amazing. So I'm pretty surprised that you don't think anyone ever uses them.

Moving on. Colony's Reavers are much better than Decimus's. Increased damage isn't needed on Reavers in PvP as long as you're upgrading them from the Foundry- extra dps will likely just result in more overkill if you have more than 2-3. They do fine without it. As for the siphon, it's definitely helpful but it does require active combat. Combat Repair does not. It is constant and permanent.

Paired with symbiotes and a skit, a colony Reaver will always out-class a decimus reaver. They have increased armor, hp, constant healing, range (arguably much more important than speed, as rangde allows them to begin firing before enemy air even sees them) and are better at defending against non-AA units than Decimus Reavers.
Their increased HP isnt gonna matter when I'm healing 2.5% HP per pellet they shoot.
Decimus only needs 7 Reavers to do deal mass air no problem, It sounds like you're putting Skitters on all your reavers which means you can't do jack expect kill air so all it tanks is some tanks to roll you over.
Symbiotes is underwhelming and isn't worth it and no it's not a must have, Combat Repair is enough.
Affest wrote:

Paired with symbiotes and a skit, a colony Reaver will always out-class a decimus reaver. They have increased armor, hp, constant healing, range (arguably much more important than speed, as range allows them to begin firing before enemy air even sees them) and are better at defending against non-AA units than Decimus Reavers.
At high level play (he's champion #3) it's just a waste of population to do that
The correct answer is Deci Reavers.
Quote:
Their increased HP isnt gonna matter when I'm healing 2.5% HP per pellet they shoot.
...you seem to be comparing them as though they'll be facing eachother. I'm talking about AA vs Air not AA vs AA.. And increased HP DOES matter especially combined with increased armor as well. Thats super significant. I really don't understand what your thought process is there? Why do you not think that's important?

Decimus Reavers have +in-combat healing, +damage and +speed.

Colony Reavers have +armor +hp +healing +range +damage +role variability. Also, I do not put skitterers on everything, I only put them on weak counter units that benefit from an hp boost- the dps boost is extra. And it's significant. Skits use global foundry upgrades, and if the skits are symbioted before attaching they retain the range buff.

Btw symbiotes are too a must-have. They are what turn Colony bases into the tankiest in the game.
Elaborate, then.
Affest wrote:

At high level play (he's champion #3) it's just a waste of population to do that
5 reavers with a skit on each = 35 pop. Its not a waste of population and it works wonders.
Affest wrote:
Elaborate, then.
Symbiote Reavers don't have the DPS potential of Boundless Fury and Killing Frenzy Reavers, additionally having Boundless Siphon will give them more survivability.

Additionally putting leader points into Vehicle Symbiotes means Colony misses out on having Engineer Swarm/Colony Drop/Hunter's Brand. It's not in Colony's best interest in investing in Vehicle Symbiotes, meanwhile Decimus will always get Killing Frenzy, Boundless Siphon, and Boundless Fury.
Affest wrote:
Elaborate, then.
Symbiote Reavers don't have the DPS potential of Boundless Fury and Killing Frenzy Reavers, additionally having Boundless Siphon will give them more survivability.

Additionally putting leader points into Vehicle Symbiotes means Colony misses out on having Engineer Swarm/Colony Drop/Hunter's Brand. It's not in Colony's best interest in investing in Vehicle Symbiotes, meanwhile Decimus will always get Killing Frenzy, Boundless Siphon, and Boundless Fury.
Dude. Overkill is so common that having any dramatic increases to dps really isn't beneficial for AA. At least not in my experience. It usually only takes 2 reaver bursts to take out 1 banshee or hornet, and considering AA balls always focus fire you get TONS of wasted shots. Also, boundless fury does not compare in the slightest to combat repair + armor in terms of added survivability.

Engineer swarm is pathetic, and Colony drop is not needed at all for any strat I've ever played with Colony. Hunter's brand is helpful as hell though I'll admit.

also, why are you comparing 4, 5, 6 leader powers to 1, 8, and 12 o'clock leader powers? That didn't make any sense to me.
Affest wrote:
Affest wrote:
Elaborate, then.

Dude. Overkill is so common that having any dramatic increases to dps really isn't beneficial for AA. At least not in my experience. It usually only takes 2 reaver bursts to take out 1 banshee or hornet, and considering AA balls always focus fire you get TONS of wasted shots. Also, boundless fury does not compare in the slightest to combat repair + armor in terms of added survivability.

Engineer swarm is pathetic, and Colony drop is not needed at all for any strat I've ever played with Colony. Hunter's brand is helpful as hell though I'll admit.

also, why are you comparing 4, 5, 6 leader powers to 1, 8, and 12 o'clock leader powers? That didn't make any sense to me.
Engi Swarm is one of the best healing powers in the game, additionally Colony drop is great for harrassment and even cracking a base. Those LP offer so much more value than Vehicle Symbiotes.
Affest wrote:
Affest wrote:
Elaborate, then.

Engi Swarm is one of the best healing powers in the game, additionally Colony drop is great for harrassment and even cracking a base. Those LP offer so much more value than Vehicle Symbiotes.
are you aware that choosing symbiotes only means missing out on engineer swarm...? You're acting like choosing it means missing out on all 3 you've mentioned but all it means is I don't need engi swarm. It really is pathetic though. far from the best. Its the only active healing power that can be denied. 1 EMP or any tier Mac will either completely destroy them or significantly reduce the number of engi's. they also focus heal and this tends to result in priority dps dealers dying bc they got ZERO heal, while a ranger squad, some wraiths and the hunter captain survived. stupid as hell tbh
Deci Reavers are king, though I’m sure CoR Arby Reavers could give him a run for his money. Colony’s Reavers are also great for the reasons you keep listing, but they are not as good as Deci Reavers. Which makes sense considering the entire point of Decis kit is to field a strong army.
Back to toppick... are you serious ? Johnson ???
His Mantises at T3 with all upgrades get killed without effort from a max Banshee / Hornet army.

In terms of Deci Colony, I would say in a 1 vs 1 colony has the upper hand with symbiont,repair skitters and so on, but is also more cost heavy. In terms of cost / effective Decimus takes it.
Deci Reavers are king, though I’m sure CoR Arby Reavers could give him a run for his money. Colony’s Reavers are also great for the reasons you keep listing, but they are not as good as Deci Reavers. Which makes sense considering the entire point of Decis kit is to field a strong army.
Well before the patch arby cor could take on two decimus air spam and it was nuts! I've done it and it was worth going AA with arbi because of it, but now not so much. But deci been too op for a while now and it a slow work in progress but I do understand he was very bad before his steroid monkey budf
johnson
Deci reavers are probably the best. Colony reavers definitely do good work but I honestly wont be trying too hard to put skitterers and symbiots on my vehicles. I also think kinsano has good AA because of redline and Jerome has inspire. Those 4 have "enhanced" AA but AA as a whole is pretty strong right now so you really cant go wrong with anyone.
I once killed two condors with CoR reavers in like 8 seconds
Holy f I didn't even think of Arbys. He takes the cake for AA for sure
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2