Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Blitz As Free-to-Play

OP Qwerty polopus

Blitz is an underrated innovation in the genre. It's unique to RTS games in general, Creative Assembly did a very good job here. I honestly just thought this was brilliant - Totally fun way to quickly jump into RTS multiplayer. I also loved how they brought in the card game aspect with the drops and the simple control objectives.

It would be great to see more focus in this game type, even a tourney, it's very streamable. I think 343i should release this as a separate free-to-play game. It would extend the life of HW2 a lot potentially. If it became popular enough, maybe even reskin it like LoL vs DOTA.
I think it'd bring more attention to it, this is a nice idea.
I think it'd bring more attention to it, this is a nice idea.
Yeah I can definitely see a broader audience being introduced to Halo through something light and snackable like some sort of Blitz FTP mini-game or even shoot off. Like put it up on Steam and MS Store, do a few Twitch events or whatever and I think you could get it trending.
I think it's a good idea. The mode is fun and it would definitely draw some much-needed attention back to the game.
Blitz is an underrated innovation in the genre. It's unique to RTS games in general, Creative Assembly did a very good job here. I honestly just thought this was brilliant - Totally fun way to quickly jump into RTS multiplayer. I also loved how they brought in the card game aspect with the drops and the simple control objectives.

It would be great to see more focus in this game type, even a tourney, it's very streamable. I think 343i should release this as a separate free-to-play game. It would extend the life of HW2 a lot potentially. If it became popular enough, maybe even reskin it like LoL vs DOTA.
I mean... even if they did without a release via Steam which they've already said they're not doing, you're looking at a very small playerbase who don'talready have acces via Game Pass. That's your issue.
MorseyBaby wrote:

I mean... even if they did without a release via Steam which they've already said they're not doing, you're looking at a very small playerbase who don'talready have acces via Game Pass. That's your issue.
Well I do think it could be promoted pre-launch and garner some sort of following, especially if it's FTP. They could invite some RTS pro gamers in for an event, something along those lines. All I'm saying is that there's definitely an opportunity being missed there.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Well I do think it could be promoted pre-launch and garner some sort of following, especially if it's FTP. They could invite some RTS pro gamers in for an event, something along those lines. All I'm saying is that there's definitely an opportunity being missed there.
Likewise though it was HW2's flagship mode at launch with the MTX to boot and we only ever got a single map (with reskins). To make it last that would have to be changed and again active development has officially stopped. Just don't see it
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

Likewise though it was HW2's flagship mode at launch with the MTX to boot and we only ever got a single map (with reskins). To make it last that would have to be changed and again active development has officially stopped. Just don't see it
I feel that. I know it's a longshot, but honestly 343i has been known to defy odds from time to time. Honestly even if they revisited this idea in a few years once the initial madness of Infinite cooled down. I can understand not wanting to commit to building a whole new game (although I would eventually love to see HW3), so maybe they just take a modded/reskinned version of HW2 Blitz and make it it's own little game ala Hearthstone or something like that. I just feel like there's more juice to squeeze there.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

I feel that. I know it's a longshot, but honestly 343i has been known to defy odds from time to time. Honestly even if they revisited this idea in a few years once the initial madness of Infinite cooled down. I can understand not wanting to commit to building a whole new game (although I would eventually love to see HW3), so maybe they just take a modded/reskinned version of HW2 Blitz and make it it's own little game ala Hearthstone or something like that. I just feel like there's more juice to squeeze there.
Nah sadly I think the ship has sailed. If, as seems likely, Spirit of Fire is reunited with the main universe storyline (a process at least likely to start with Divine Wind) my sense is the decision not to be working on a HW3 is significant
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

Nah sadly I think the ship has sailed. If, as seems likely, Spirit of Fire is reunited with the main universe storyline (a process at least likely to start with Divine Wind) my sense is the decision not to be working on a HW3 is significant
I hear you. Even if they never try to dust off HW2 again, I feel like the likelihood of Microsoft revisiting this franchise for a third installment in this decade is high.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

I hear you. Even if they never try to dust off HW2 again, I feel like the likelihood of Microsoft revisiting this franchise for a third installment in this decade is high.
I really hope so, but likewise they'd need the right outside RTS studio to support it. Divine Wind will give us a clue there I'm sure.
I would love to see more life injected into the game. If that means making portions or even the entire game free to play at this point, than so be it.
I would love to see more life injected into the game. If that means making portions or even the entire game free to play at this point, than so be it.
My thoughts entirely. The alternative is a downward trend in relevance.