Blitz Beta – Blitz Feedback Thread

OP Forum Team

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 41
The Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta is live and will be running until January 30! During this time, we are looking to gather as much of your input as possible; and this Feedback thread is dedicated to collecting your input specifically on Blitz. Blitz is an brand-new mode in Halo Wars 2, in which tactical combat meets card-based strategy.

Please provide feedback specifically on the Blitz game mode in this thread. Additionally, if you'd like to provide even more input on the Halo Wars 2 Blitz Beta, please consider joining the Halo Community Feedback Program!
Not specifically gameplay related but more user interface.

When opening a pack of cards, the player needs to press a button (LT I think) to reveal each card, or they can press Y to reveal all cards at once. I don't know why this was added, I can only assume to make each card reveal rewarding or something but it just seems like a pointless extra button press, especially when you look at Halo 5's REQ system.

Opening a pack should just reveal all card contents rather than forcing the user to go through an extra button press. It would give the player much more time in the menu during games to open packs, grab their cards and get back into it.
I have played the Beta on both Xbox One and PC. So far it runs great on both. The only odd thing on PC is that my Native resolution is 4k (3840x2160) but in the resolution menu, at 100% it says the resolution is 3839x2160. Off by one pixel! lol. I am sure it is just a bug.

Using a controller on both versions, when you press the "L" trigger to call up the 4 cards, selecting them with the analog stick seems very twitchy. I have had it jump on me a few times and deploy a unit I was not intending to deploy. It just feels a little too loose and twitchy. Since the game mode is fast paced, you need good control on selecting the cards and right now it just seems a little too twitchy. Perhaps allowing the use of the D-Pad and/or configuring the cards in a Dpad formation, It might take up too much screen real estate, or perhaps make them a little smaller. But something needs to be tweaked.

As far as the mode itself it is a lot of fun...but I am finding in 2vs2 that battles are way too short. This could just be that the points required to win is set to only 200, which I think seems a little low. So perhaps the points gain can be turned down or give the ability to increase the points to win to a higher number. I have had some games last maybe 5-6 min's and it's over. Hopefully the final game will allow the increase in points needed to win increased or points earned slowed down. I know the mode is created to be a little quicker than a traditional game mode, but games lasting 5min or so is a little too quick. Again, this could be that the team I was on or against just did a better job at controlling the zones much better and quicker, but perhaps a 250-300 point for the win would not be bad or just a slight nerf to the points earned speed.

Overall though, really enjoying the game and it looks and sounds great. I am just hoping there are increased time frames for win and most importantly that the controller functions for using cards is improved since it is a little too twitchy. Great Job to the teams!
As the guy above me has said, I've found the Blitz card selection during matches to be very very erratic. Needs to he refined somehow (though the games gone gold now, so...)

Apart from that I would like to be able to see previous match and career stats whilst waiting in a lobby like you can on Halo 5 when you press the menu button.

Only other feedback thus far, is what a great experience!
The special Blisterback is way too underpowered. For 160, I was expecting something that lasted longer than 4 seconds.
I would love to play a full game. But so far haven't been able to finish the 2 I've been in. Game crashed and lagged out. For a Beta that I redownloaded, and apparently the game being finished. I would except the Beta to have no problems so I can give my actual opinion. But no. Fix this pls.
After 2 hours of playing the Blitz mode i am not 100% sure what to think of. While i like the idea of a more streamlined / beginner friendly mode, the action is far to chaotic on screen. On the one hand powers pop up pretty fast and slow moving units have no chance to evade (i am ok with this), while on the other hand the fatigue system look compared to it pretty underpowered in this state. In my opinion we should get rid of this system. Would prefer it as a more tactical element allowing you to pop up in battle behind the enemy with a strong unit, but with the current system even strong units like a Vulture got shot down as fast as they enter battle. In other words: There is no purpose in even trying to bring in new units in a already lost battle and instead retreat, gather new units outside combat or fire your powers against the enemy.

Another system that i am not really happy with is this the leveling of cards. At the end of the day this will lead to a pay 2 win scenario. Let us open cardpacks to earn new units and play around with our decks? cool why not on the long run you can catch up with those invested money. But making your units stronger (or at least a given chance to that to happen) compared to those of others feels plain wrong and makes the mode uninteresting when the game is released.
I love the normal game modes but I dont like this one. If you were to buy a bunch of packs you could literally become Jesus Christ himself. But blitz firefight sounds fun.
Forges Warthog`s leader restriction is sergeant forge?
By the way enjoying every moment of blitz
So I after a game it said I got 2 packs, but I only got one? Bug or what?
The game type is relatively fun, however there is the obvious problem with allowing people to buy packs.. if the power of the cards level every time you open a duplicate this merely sets up a situation where this game mode will ultimately be a pay to win. This completely ruins the experience when you are likely to lose a game before it starts as long as your opponent is willing to spend their money on card packs.

it is a good change to the slow tactical approach of other game types, however I feel it is too short and relies mainly on opponents purely spamming as many units into the battlefield at once to win
Forge is dead, get rid of him. Seriously.

(Cause he doesn't wanna post it him self.)
Though I have only played the tutorial so far, I am pleasantly surprised it performs and plays well on PC with a Keyboard and Mouse.

Can't wait to get into multiplayer later and test further!

Feature Requests:

1. UI Scaling (Percentage) Bar | I personally find the UI a bit too large (1440p) when playing with a Mouse and Keyboard, and the only way to "scale" the UI currently is to supersample the rendering resolution.
  2. FPS Counter | This is always a nice addition to add to PC titles, seeing as other FPS counter overlays do not work with UWP applications except for PresentMon; it also helps people who want to hit 60 FPS minimum, and to see what FPS they are getting in intense battles.
  3. Benchmark Scenario | This would be a nice addition similar to what Gears of War: Ultimate Edition did, where the user could see the Min/Max, Average, Current FPS values during a repeating intensive battle scene. Allowing the user to easily tweak setting to get the FPS they want.
Bug Reports:

• 20/01/2017 | Minor "Cannot assign Pause Menu to the Esc Key in the Keybindings Menu for KBM"
This is a minor inconvenience, I am not sure why I can not set the Pause Menu to the Escape key at this time. Unless it was designed that way because it would conflict when used in menus?
SgTsAnTa06 wrote:
I love the normal game modes but I dont like this one. If you were to buy a bunch of packs you could literally become Jesus Christ himself. But blitz firefight sounds fun.
This is true at first, but from what I am understanding, you can still earn all the cards through gameplay or your can pay your way to get the cards. So those that pay for them may have an advantage at first, but those that play the game without paying will eventually also have those cards without paying a penny. I don't think it is that big of an issue. The only way this would be an issue if you are the ONLY one not paying and everyone in the community bought themselves tons of cards. To a certain extent it can be seen as pay to win, but it would be as limited pay to win since cards are still unlockable via game play.
sicsche wrote:
After 2 hours of playing the Blitz mode i am not 100% sure what to think of. While i like the idea of a more streamlined / beginner friendly mode, the action is far to chaotic on screen. On the one hand powers pop up pretty fast and slow moving units have no chance to evade (i am ok with this), while on the other hand the fatigue system look compared to it pretty underpowered in this state. In my opinion we should get rid of this system. Would prefer it as a more tactical element allowing you to pop up in battle behind the enemy with a strong unit, but with the current system even strong units like a Vulture got shot down as fast as they enter battle. In other words: There is no purpose in even trying to bring in new units in a already lost battle and instead retreat, gather new units outside combat or fire your powers against the enemy.

Another system that i am not really happy with is this the leveling of cards. At the end of the day this will lead to a pay 2 win scenario. Let us open cardpacks to earn new units and play around with our decks? cool why not on the long run you can catch up with those invested money. But making your units stronger (or at least a given chance to that to happen) compared to those of others feels plain wrong and makes the mode uninteresting when the game is released.
Many have already indicated their frustration with the card selection and I will add to that (after all they will consider reoccurring themes). There were several other points I had after about an hour of game play (should mention I was very bored after that hour):

1. Continuing with the overall consensus so far that the unit leveling via card packs leads to pay 2 win and that's only going to drive away players. I dont think it is necessary to level up units for PvP, but it can be used for firefight mode since its versus AI.
2. The game ends too quickly to even enjoy the deck created or to have nice destructive battles. The victory points add up too fast and the points to buy units add up too slow. In my opinion it should be the reverse, increase the fight in the game along with the time to do so...hopefully while keeping it short as that is the point of blitz.
3. Card selection seems to be arbitrary, which kind of removes the strategy aspect and here is why: it comes down to luck for selecting the right units (unless there is a discard card button that I haven't discovered) vs. understanding the system and developing a strategy ahead of time (i.e., start with tier 1 units and after X points or power collection unlock tier 2 units).

Overall I like that the creators are trying to add a new spin to the game and continuing with past strategy games that used this unit deployment style (e.g., wargame, dawn of war, and hearthstone). But, blitz isn't all what its expected to be as its missing a lot of depth to make it a versatile game mode.
my game crash everytime it starts cant play a full game wtf??? on PC
When you go to select a card to play, you have to hold down the joystick to where you want. This is hard to explain but just make it so you can reset the joystick (where the joystick is in the middle) without having to screw with what card you're going to play. If anyone could explain this better for me, that'd be much appreciated.
Has there been any testing as to how laggy it might get when hot dropping in a bunch of cards in a 4 player game? I haven't tried it out too much yet, but from the on-screen chaos over some of the points I feel like it might get rather frightening.
Would it be possible to add a way to remap the camera zoom to the mouse scroll wheel? Anytime I try to remap it, it asks for a keyboard input.
I think it's odd the sentinel super unit that Anders has in the normal multiplayer is not in blitz
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 41