Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Buff Suggestions List

OP COOL Skidda

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey all! I have been reading everyone’s posts and I feel that it’s gone a bit quiet on the topic of balance. Seems like a strange thing to say, but I have been seeing a fair amount of complaints just regarding some hero or set of units being overpowered needing nerfs and not many suggestions being put forth. As important as this information is, we also miss the information of who we feel is not useful and could use a buff and most importantly, how. Buffing has usually been a better course of action to me (not always the case though, 300%....) and I am curious what everyone is thinking needs help, especially those with any access to in game stats.

An an example from my recent experience was playing random all and getting Arbiter a few times and noticing it is very difficult to win with him now. I recognize he needed nerfs for his potency in 1v1 and conduit strength, but even the leaderboard agrees with me with like 1.5% play ratio means he is not performing. I could see undoing the health and any dps drops on the enforcers, but keep the lp wheel the same. Perhaps his hero needs some aoe damage when raging? I don’t think the graphics need to change at all for this, he just needs to be able to slap more than one target at a time unlike the honor guard which is literally meant to be played like an assasin. Or perhaps rage mode needs to incorporate invisibility until he whacks something (halo wars 1 concept). The point is I feel there are some good options to creatively buff him.
<blockquote class="box-quote" data-username="COOL Skidda" data-postid="1">
<p>Hey all! I have been reading everyone’s posts and I feel that it’s gone a bit quiet on the topic of balance. Seems like a strange thing to say, but I have been seeing a fair amount of complaints just regarding some hero or set of units being overpowered needing nerfs and not many suggestions being put forth. As important as this information is, we also miss the information of who we feel is not useful and could use a buff and most importantly, how. Buffing has usually been a better course of action to me (not always the case though, 300%....) and I am curious what everyone is thinking needs help, especially those with any access to in game stats.</p>
<p></p>
<p>An an example from my recent experience was playing random all and getting Arbiter a few times and noticing it is very difficult to win with him now. I recognize he needed nerfs for his potency in 1v1 and conduit strength, but even the leaderboard agrees with me with like 1.5% play ratio means he is not performing. I could see undoing the health and any dps drops on the enforcers, but keep the lp wheel the same. Perhaps his hero needs some aoe damage when raging? I don’t think the graphics need to change at all for this, he just needs to be able to slap more than one target at a time unlike the honor guard which is literally meant to be played like an assasin. Or perhaps rage mode needs to incorporate invisibility until he whacks something (halo wars 1 concept). The point is I feel there are some good options to creatively buff him.</p>
</blockquote>
<p>Arbiter is good where he is. Conduit is still a good buff and to mirror a army is almost certain victory with ability to dodge LPs as well as buff and heal units as a bonus. As for Arbiter himself, he is one of the few heroes capable of killing a Hunter Captain while having zero unit support and chewing threw Colony's Siphon. Conduit of rage on grunts is able to perform great feats as well as they can actually be used mid game with damage buffs and heal. That being said, he is at least mid teir and those above him are typically broken rather than just better.</p>
Arbiter could certainly use a rework, he struggles early so helping his hero out at T1 (and only T1) as well as rework of conduit values (20/40/60 and 20/30/40 are suggestions I've seen) would help him. Allowing CoR to stack duration would also be a step in the right direction imo. Other obvious culprits is Johnson's early game, though that would need to coincide with a colossus nerf lest he be broken, and a general banished buff to handle infantry heroes on T1. The most popular suggestion I've seen for the latter is to buff choppers/ghosts against infantry heroes. Banshees could probably use a little love, hornets could use a slight buff at T2 (redistribute damage to bring them down a bit at T3 and give a little bit more to T2).
Arbiter could certainly use a rework, he struggles early so helping his hero out at T1 (and only T1) as well as rework of conduit values (20/40/60 and 20/30/40 are suggestions I've seen) would help him. Allowing CoR to stack duration would also be a step in the right direction imo. Other obvious culprits is Johnson's early game, though that would need to coincide with a colossus nerf lest he be broken, and a general banished buff to handle infantry heroes on T1. The most popular suggestion I've seen for the latter is to buff choppers/ghosts against infantry heroes. Banshees could probably use a little love, hornets could use a slight buff at T2 (redistribute damage to bring them down a bit at T3 and give a little bit more to T2).
Usually dont disagree with you but i think Arbiter is fine where he is. He seems to be in a decent spot. If he had anything to get buffed though, i must say plasma bolt sucks still. Other than that, i would like to see him untouched. I would not mind if johnson got a t1 buff though while nerfing collosus. His early hame sucks while t3 is broken with collosus. Maybe also buff cyclopes so UNSC can also deal with Mantis because t1 is stronger, they need a buff anyhow.
Arby and Johnson are both broken late game, because of this we can't just straight buff their early game without massive reworks because then turtling with either of them just becomes a win.
Whatever skidda wants I'll 100% support
Hi all, cant tell you how happy I am as an arbiter main to see this thread.
Some of you may not know me but I consider my arbiter to be one of the best.
Coming back to game after a break arbiter 100% needs a buff and I agree with most of the comments here.

All leaders should been viable at all stages of the game with some better early and some late. The problem with arbiter and other leaders like isabel johnson etc is that they have a poor early game and find it difficult to get to their strong late game.

I have several suggestion for arbiter changes.
Firstly COR rework I have mentioned this in other posts it could change from 15/30/45 more dps to 20/30/40 this will take a little from his late game but buff his early game and increasing COR duration from 10 to 12secs would probably be enough to make arbiter viable again.

I agree that plasma bolt needs a rework its practicly useless atm as it is not working as originally designed the 3 shots no longer give 3 stacks and damage as always been poor. Having plasma bolt function more like isabels mac blast would be the right way to go.

I think its fine btw how COR works atm as it rewards skilled players.

Lastly enforcer drop needs tweaking either it needs a power cost reduction or if I had my way a rework, remove the COR activation and possibly reduce it 2 enforcers and move it back to 3rd point.

Let me know what you guys think and if you want to play my arbiter my GT is ZbagApocalypse.
Arbiter could certainly use a rework, ihe struggles early so helping his hero out at T1 (and only T1) as well as rework of conduit values (20/40/60 and 20/30/40 are suggestions I've seen) would help him. Allowing CoR to stack duration would also be a step in the right direction imo. Other obvious culprits is Johnson's early game, though that would need to coincide with a colossus nerf lest he be broken, and a general banished buff to handle infantry heroes on T1. The most popular suggestion I've seen for the latter is to buff choppers/ghosts against infantry heroes. Banshees could probably use a little love, hornets could use a slight buff at T2 (redistribute damage to bring them down a bit at T3 and give a little bit more to T2).
Usually dont disagree with you but i think Arbiter is fine where he is. He seems to be in a decent spot. If he had anything to get buffed though, i must say plasma bolt sucks still. Other than that, i would like to see him untouched. I would not mind if johnson got a t1 buff though while nerfing collosus. His early hame sucks while t3 is broken with collosus. Maybe also buff cyclopes so UNSC can also deal with Mantis because t1 is stronger, they need a buff anyhow.
Arbiter needs a buff man and if you dont think so its because you dont like/use him.

Almost everyother leader except maybe 3 or 4 have better early game than he does yet enforcers are intended to be a T1 unit but he cant make good use of them.

Lets compare jerome inspire at 2LP jerome has 12% more dps without time limits to arbiters 15% more dps for 10secs and then you have to wait 1m45s for the cooldown its not even close.
Arbiter could certainly use a rework, ihe struggles early so helping his hero out at T1 (and only T1) as well as rework of conduit values (20/40/60 and 20/30/40 are suggestions I've seen) would help him. Allowing CoR to stack duration would also be a step in the right direction imo. Other obvious culprits is Johnson's early game, though that would need to coincide with a colossus nerf lest he be broken, and a general banished buff to handle infantry heroes on T1. The most popular suggestion I've seen for the latter is to buff choppers/ghosts against infantry heroes. Banshees could probably use a little love, hornets could use a slight buff at T2 (redistribute damage to bring them down a bit at T3 and give a little bit more to T2).
Arbiter needs a buff man and if you dont think so its because you dont like/use him.

Almost everyother leader except maybe 3 or 4 have better early game than he does yet enforcers are intended to be a T1 unit but he cant make good use of them.

Lets compare jerome inspire at 2LP jerome has 12% more dps without time limits to arbiters 15% more dps for 10secs and then you have to wait 1m45s for the cooldown its not even close.
Don't compare Jerome as Jerome is broken

Don't compare Jerome as Jerome is broken
I agree but surely you see when comparing arbiters early game with most other leaders he needs a buff/changes
Also I forgot to mention I agree that ghosts need a slight, very slight buff but instead of against heroes it would be vs scouts as no grunt mine.

And ghost shielding and shrapnel rounds should have a power cost reduction to 400.
450 is way too expensive and is why people prefer numbers over the upgrade.

Tbh I think 400 is too much and would like to marine grenades come down too 380 power and if possible remove all 5s in power and supply costs round them in 10s so leaders would cost 280 power instead of 275 this would make doing math as you play easier and when you have LPs like R&D the reduction is acurate as halving 5s is silly.
From my experience, arbiter has everything a leader needs to have the very best late game in the entire game. However, it takes so so much time to get there, and that until you've got some good levels in conduit of rage, power surge, and some stasis abilities you're worse off than other leaders that are more straight forward and not as intruquet with their powers. Enforcers are good early, but not good enough, and can't stop a rush, which is where arbiter suffers. He can rush, but it's difficult for him to repel a rush. I will say though, that plasma bolt is just not good now. Every game I play against arbiter my army can get hit by all three bolts and I'll suffer no losses
I agree 100% with that. Arbiter only needs a small buff to early game to be good again.

As i mentioned earlier reworking the numbers and duration of COR is where I think the devs should start to see if its enough however I would like to see lvl1 COR radius buffed.

As it is only teleport is usable early game as mines plasma bolt and stasis have to be dropped right next to your units to buff them but it isnt practical as it requires your units to be ontop off theres and at high lvl play people wont let you do that.
From my experience, arbiter has everything a leader needs to have the very best late game in the entire game. However, it takes so so much time to get there, and that until you've got some good levels in conduit of rage, power surge, and some stasis abilities you're worse off than other leaders that are more straight forward and not as intruquet with their powers. Enforcers are good early, but not good enough, and can't stop a rush, which is where arbiter suffers. He can rush, but it's difficult for him to repel a rush. I will say though, that plasma bolt is just not good now. Every game I play against arbiter my army can get hit by all three bolts and I'll suffer no losses
Enforcers need a slight speed increase and the tracking on stasis grenades is horrible needs fixing
I agree 100% with that. Arbiter only needs a small buff to early game to be good again.

As i mentioned earlier reworking the numbers and duration of COR is where I think the devs should start to see if its enough however I would like to see lvl1 COR radius buffed.

As it is only teleport is usable early game as mines plasma bolt and stasis have to be dropped right next to your units to buff them but it isnt practical as it requires your units to be ontop off theres and at high lvl play people wont let you do that.
Conduit is fine where it is. Conduit is already really strong late game and would hate too see that buffed. Only thing i hate is Plasma Bolt which is onky good for CoR and quickly taking out a shield gen or something.
Your support is always appreciated m8.

I am glad the Arbiter debate took off and is respectful. I’ve noticed that no one thinks he is at the bottom of the list and needs only tweaks maybe for early game.
That being said, who are the bottom three leaders in everyone’s opinion (preferably statistical fact for those that have the knowhow, because I don’t) and what kind of love might they need to compete with those considered good to broken?

Conduit is fine where it is. Conduit is already really strong late game and would hate too see that buffed. Only thing i hate is Plasma Bolt which is onky good for CoR and quickly taking out a shield gen or something.
What suggested was to nerf the late game and buff his early game by shifting 5% more dps a t1 COR radius would be nice can live without it and increasing the duration of COR isnt going to make arbiter busted.

Agree on plasma bolt needing a buff
Your support is always appreciated m8.

I am glad the Arbiter debate took off and is respectful. I’ve noticed that no one thinks he is at the bottom of the list and needs only tweaks maybe for early game.
That being said, who are the bottom three leaders in everyone’s opinion (preferably statistical fact for those that have the knowhow, because I don’t) and what kind of love might they need to compete with those considered good to broken?
In 1s I'd say Serina, Johnson, and maybe yap? Not sure what to do for Serina, she treads a very fine line between being garbage and broken since her design as a leader is so poor and relies on a horrible mechanic. Johnson as mentioned before just needs help early game with a colossus nerf to even him out. Yap would benefit from being able to handle hereos on T1, do that and he'd probably be fine (this should be covered by a chopper/ghost buff against heroes).
Waited 6 months for arbiter buff after dev agreed with most of what I put forward and they only touched a few numbers no hero unit balance, no enforcer stasis grenade change, no aoe increase for plasma bolt etc

Iam happy his early game got the buff he needed but waiting 6 months for a leader buff that 343 said was needed is why I no longer play hw2

And unfortunatly hw2 will never be balanced or close too because of not only a lack of effort by 343 but also some of the top players that give buff and nerf suggestions and test them in pts are not helping because they dont have the right mindset for this as they are ussually biased and not thinking objectively. I know because Ive had balance discussions in the past.

I LOVE HALO WARS 2 but no longer enjoy it, leader balance has ruined it from day 1 and most of the player base left and or never stuck around so now you just play against noobs or have to run customs.

HW2 needs an unoffical community patch or two to actually finally balance the game ( Kanes wrath) other games have done this and it worked.
I think shields should be taken away from all heros. this would take away being able to run away and come back in and have a shield.(which is actually a HUGE factor that can win/lose you games). and I don't think it should be like that.
advanced logistics shouldn't be 3 levels of upgrades. instead have all the units build at faster rates and maybe have advanced logistics 1. 40 seconds for a tank when you hit t3 is ridiculous and bad game design, when you factor in how long it takes slow units like tanks vultures to sneak across the map and snipe a base and then try to escape with everything. its a massive waste of time and not fun gameplay.
controls are still clunky for xbox.
upgrades should upgrade faster for them to actually have an impact.
upgrading pads and gens I think could be faster.
Bases should build faster.
the nades vs scouts interaction pisses me off.
cannister shell is trash for 900 power.
snipers active camo should cloak them forever.
Anti turrets do too much and with units building too slow reinforcements aren't a factor to combat defenders advantage.
Core units don't do enough base damage.(they need it to overcome anti units people spend power on).
the leaderboard should be in game and trueskill based.
I don't expect these changes above to even be considered to be put into the game. in order for hw2 to be fixed they gotta start over bc its full of bad game design that shouldn't have been implemented.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2