Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Campaign gameplay is so not fun...

OP SectionUnity

I just recently got Halo Wars 2 and its not what i expected. So much stop you have to do to get somewhere before you really get the good stuff.

Each mission limits you to not being able to do the fun stuff or rushes you to the objectives. You donʻt have a mission that is straight forward allowing us to build what we want just to conquer the enemy base. Either from limiting us from the awesome artillery or timing us to the objective or rushing us to get command points are holding out or most importantly these cinematic moments. It just isnʻt fun when I canʻt have a hard on standoff base vs base mission. Even the iconic scorpion is so hard to get to but the air units can get to fast or anything else.

Most of all... the random glassing... I swear I thought the second I destroyed the their Super carrier, the glassing stopped but that stuff comes out randomly and I wish it wasnt there.
Leader Powers on Legendary are very annoying to deal with. And yes there is the limitation missions have that makes the campaign feel a bit too restrictive, though it works well in some missions. The DLC thankfully isn't like this at all, except for some of the leader powers lol.
It's extremely common for an RTS campaign to limit what you have access to as you work your way through it, as they also serve as advanced tutorials. I agree that the normal campaign wasn't too great, it wasn't bad either, but ATN was good. I think most developers figure if you want a straight up base vs. base fight you can do endless skirmishes, as such modes are always available, campaigns should feel different from skirmish.

There was one level on the campaign, under the dark?, I think I spent 4x the time on that one compared to any other level due to all the random glassing beams. That one was painful, but the others were relatively straight forward.
I liked it. Because in my opinion, if you have a RTS game with no time limits or unit limits, it gets too easy. Like if you want a mission with no limits, do Skirmish or Play Online, or play my favorite Blitz. I see a problem like this happen way to much, and in all of them it seems that the person who dislikes something in a game focuses %110 of their energy and breath saying it instead of compromising and thinking of other things the game offers. I mean it's not like all there is to do is the campaign right?
I liked it. Because in my opinion, if you have a RTS game with no time limits or unit limits, it gets too easy. Like if you want a mission with no limits, do Skirmish or Play Online, or play my favorite Blitz. I see a problem like this happen way to much, and in all of them it seems that the person who dislikes something in a game focuses %110 of their energy and breath saying it instead of compromising and thinking of other things the game offers. I mean it's not like all there is to do is the campaign right?
But when the first 4 missions limit you to only buy cyclops, warthogs and marines then it gets repetitive and slow. Not fun. You couldnt build the classic scorpion until the 6-7th mission and even then it takes so much time to get to that point. What is easy is that they gave us the ability to swarm in Hornets then give us a variety on what to build.
Zildjians wrote:
It's extremely common for an RTS campaign to limit what you have access to as you work your way through it, as they also serve as advanced tutorials. I agree that the normal campaign wasn't too great, it wasn't bad either, but ATN was good. I think most developers figure if you want a straight up base vs. base fight you can do endless skirmishes, as such modes are always available, campaigns should feel different from skirmish.

There was one level on the campaign, under the dark?, I think I spent 4x the time on that one compared to any other level due to all the random glassing beams. That one was painful, but the others were relatively straight forward.
For me, Age of Empires had a rounded amount of limiting resources in a mission and being able to build the general units to have fun and challenge. Halo wars 2 made us spend half a mission with 3 snipers and walk around with swarms of marines.
I actually like that in this Halo Wars they limit you in all honesty. It teaches you to learn the new units and to micro a bit better, especially in Operation: Hunter's Brand.
Didn't think there was anyone old enough to remember age of empires.

The limitations work. Makes the learner use micro otherwise it become a who has the biggest army game which is all macro. As previously stated. Most RTS games do this.
Halo Wars get an A+ 👍Halo Wars 2 get a B- 🤦‍♂️Halo Wars cgi movies were awesome. Each mission get the beginning & ending cgi movies. Halo Wars 2 limit cgi movies, fewer than Halo Wars. I recommends in Halo Wars 3 to follow like Star Craft 2 story campaign when you get permanently upgrades for the rest of the story 😉 But, again Halo Wars gotten delay about Halo Wars 3. Bummer. 🎭