Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

[Locked] Change this game back

OP BoxiestFlea285

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Halo wars was perfect... all they needed was 2 new factions, some new maps and units, and upgraded visuals... tired of devs tryning to give us their vision of what we want instead of just giving us what we want
adding new factions and units while upping the graphics doesn't make a new game, that's just copy and pasting pretty much which people don't want, they want new games.
this isnt a new game its "HALO WARS 2"... im positive you dont understand the concept of sequel. If its a new game why not Halo strageties or Halo conquest, no they slapped the halo wars name on it knowing full well what the community wanted as a "Sequel" but instead tried to make a new outside of the great framework that was already placed.
I'm pretty sure you don't know what a new game means. A game can be a sequal but still be new, halo 2 and halo 3 are perfect examples. Like I said, simply adding new units and upping the graphics doesn't make it new, it's then just a copy and paste game which then makes it boring to play.
Dr Element wrote:
Halo wars was perfect... all they needed was 2 new factions, some new maps and units, and upgraded visuals... tired of devs tryning to give us their vision of what we want instead of just giving us what we want
adding new factions and units while upping the graphics doesn't make a new game, that's just copy and pasting pretty much which people don't want, they want new games.
The changes between the FPS titles were subtle changes. We want Halo Wars 2, not some other title.
Im still waiting for someone to tell me how this game is drastically different than the first. Halo wars 2 is still an rps game that looks exactly like halo wars one, you still control units and use leader abilities, you still build the same way, list goes on. So far all I've heard is the factions don't differ (well there's only two playable factions at the moment, good judgement!), pop count sucks, units take up to much, art design seems off, dislike for dominion (there will be other gamemodes people, you're not forced to like everything), no cutscenes (seriously? It's a beta, they're not really going to show you cutscenes), some units are overpowered (lol would you look at that! Something that betas are used for, to get feedback on it to balance it out for the release)list goes on and on about very minor things FOR a beta of all things. The only difference I see when comparing halo wars 2 to halo wars 1 is halo wars 2 has a more complex control setup to it which isn't hard to learn if you're going to play the game anyways. Most complaints I've seen aren't drastic changes from halo wars 1, it's more or less nit picking and it's only a beta where they have a whole year to change things if it really bothers people.
The way resources are handled is a pretty drastic change from reactors from the first game. Hero powers tree is a large change. Infantry coming out of the main building opposed to a barracks could be considered a large change. The way upgrades seem to be kinda thrown all over is pretty different. One spartan opposed to three for UNSC, although that could be due to I haven't figure out how to deploy more yet...this game mode ends pretty quickly leaving limited room for time to study units and upgrades and such. Just a few of the major changes I've noticed.
The hero tree is the only one I'd consider a drastic change, as for resources you still get them by bases and having them also be scattered about gives you the opportunity to get an edge if you take said opportunity. As for spawning marines right from the get go, it really isn't different than spawning in earrings in halo wars one. It was fairly easy to rush from the get go, even tho we can spawn in units right away we can't rush like we could before since your primary base starts out with turrets.

My view will be different than most as I never considered halo wars a "serious" rts game but more of an experiment. To me halo wars 2 still pretty much feels like halo wars one but with a more complex way to control and the hero tree.
Sure you get resources from bases but you could say that from any RTS. But the difference is you have three production considerations instead of two(Resource,Power,Population). What's just one more? Well now you are building double the resource structures from HW1 for a portion of the resources you would receive. A base with 4 supply pads in HW vs a base with 2 generators and 2 supply pads. So now it's slower to upgrade, slower to get units out, some balancing in regards to unit cost and upgrade cost will drastically help this but it's still a pretty large change. Now all units don't cost both power and resources so now you'll have two pools and they will have varying total resources based on how many generators/supply pads, plus a difference if your producing a bunch of units that consume more of one pool type. It doesn't break the game but it eats away of the appeal of being able to focus on managing your units instead of balancing and producing resources. It's kind of a combat game not a farm simulator.
this isnt a new game its "HALO WARS 2"... im positive you dont understand the concept of sequel. If its a new game why not Halo strageties or Halo conquest, no they slapped the halo wars name on it knowing full well what the community wanted as a "Sequel" but instead tried to make a new outside of the great framework that was already placed.
I'm pretty sure you don't know what a new game means. A game can be a sequal but still be new, halo 2 and halo 3 are perfect examples. Like I said, simply adding new units and upping the graphics doesn't make it new, it's then just a copy and paste game which then makes it boring to play.
Your point is mute since Halo 2 & 3 basically the same. All they added was new weapons, ugraded visuals and new maps. When COD makes a next installement its upgraded visuals, new weapons, and new maps. When Bethesda makes a next installment in a series its upgraded visuals,new weapons,new map. When 2k makes another installment its you prolly guessed it upgraded visuals, new weapons, new maps. A game doesnt need to change drastically for it to be a sequel just that you cater to your fans. Since day 1 of HW1 everyone wanted either the flood or forerunner as a third or all four.The lack of unit selection. These are the main 2 things we wanted in a sequel and so far they seem to be absent. The its just the beta and the game still time 2 change is mute 2 because if you have ever worked on a game not much changes and if its major changes you get long pushbacks or get cancelled altogether i.e. final fantasy 15
Your point is mute since Halo 2 & 3 basically the same. All they added was new weapons, ugraded visuals and new maps. When COD makes a next installement its upgraded visuals, new weapons, and new maps. When Bethesda makes a next installment in a series its upgraded visuals,new weapons,new map. When 2k makes another installment its you prolly guessed it upgraded visuals, new weapons, new maps. A game doesnt need to change drastically for it to be a sequel just that you cater to your fans. Since day 1 of HW1 everyone wanted either the flood or forerunner as a third or all four.The lack of unit selection. These are the main 2 things we wanted in a sequel and so far they seem to be absent. The its just the beta and the game still time 2 change is mute 2 because if you have ever worked on a game not much changes and if its major changes you get long pushbacks or get cancelled altogether i.e. final fantasy 15
The differences between h2 and h3:
1. Equipment pickups
2. Duel wielding got a tad stronger to where it was more viable
3.hit scan aiming
4. Forge which completely changed how custimization games were played as well as added to the matchmaking experience with fan made maps
5. Armor unlocked through achievements
6. Before the patch, you started with an AR rather than a BR in h3 which changed how games were played off start with map movement and not having a viable utility weapon.
7. Portable weapons, every single weapon was portable where as in h2 you couldn't move turrets(if argue this one isn't big as well).

this is what I mean by games changing while still remaining relevant to being a sequal. I could do CoD as well if you'd like? My point still stands that games can be sequels while still having changes to them.
The only issue would be if it's a good change, or one that hurts the game.

Also to the beta having time to change, I'd guarantee you changes could be made in a years time because 1. It's an rts, it's not as big as fps on consoles 2. Because it's an rts, it makes it simpler to get changes as halo wars is no where near as big as the mainline games when it comes to development, 3. It's a dumbed down rts when compared to star craft, age of empires, age of mythology, ect ect. Point is halo wars isn't a huge development that I myself think it's perfectly possible that changes can be made if needed.
The differences between h2 and h3:
1. Equipment pickups
2. Duel wielding got a tad stronger to where it was more viable
3.hit scan aiming
4. Forge which completely changed how custimization games were played as well as added to the matchmaking experience with fan made maps
5. Armor unlocked through achievements
6. Before the patch, you started with an AR rather than a BR in h3 which changed how games were played off start with map movement and not having a viable utility weapon.
7. Portable weapons, every single weapon was portable where as in h2 you couldn't move turrets(if argue this one isn't big as well).
this is what I mean by games changing while still remaining relevant to being a sequal. I could do CoD as well if you'd like? My point still stands that games can be sequels while still having changes to them.
The only issue would be if it's a good change, or one that hurts the game.

Also to the beta having time to change, I'd guarantee you changes could be made in a years time because 1. It's an rts, it's not as big as fps on consoles 2. Because it's an rts, it makes it simpler to get changes as halo wars is no where near as big as the mainline games when it comes to development, 3. It's a dumbed down rts when compared to star craft, age of empires, age of mythology, ect ect. Point is halo wars isn't a huge development that I myself think it's perfectly possible that changes can be made if needed.
But these are still tweaks and add on's, which is our point. It still felt and played like the Halos before it.
How do you go from having a great game in halo wars 1 and ruining everything you've made in the hall wars 2. The original was already perfect it just needed more maps or characters or troops but the entire gameplay, currency, and concept was already great. Maybe it could be used some fixes with glitches and bugs but we wanted that fixed with new maps, characters, troops, etc. We didn't want an entirely new different game like you gave us. We want the old game back simple. Trash everything in the beta and start continuing from halo wars 1. Everything was more balanced, more fair, and most importantly MORE FUN. We don't want this game where you need to take weeks to figure out we want the strategy with simple gameplay. Halo wars 1 had bugs, was a little glitchy, strategic, and fun. Halo wars 2 is buggy, glitchy, technical, and because of that maybe too competitive. Stop trying to please all your competitive fans because that's 1% of halo's entire community instead please the 99% of your fans who just want to have fun with the game. If this game doesn't change I'm gonna get my money back for the "deluxe" version of your game since it'll have more features with more money cause that's all halo industries and 343 care about now.
You said halo wars 2 is buggy and glitchy, it's a beta of course it's going to be buggy and glitchy. You said halo wars 1 was perfect then pointed out major flaws in the game and blew them off as nothing. The percentage of competetive fans outnumbers the percentage of casual fans in the RTS genre so you're wrong again by saying the competitive is only 1%. I could go on about this post being ignorant and nonconstructive. If you have nothing constructive to say, then don't say anything at all.
There's a reason why HW wasn't popular with the general public. Only a small handful of people play it, and these players put in no diversity into the game. Some units are never even used in HW. You don't win a game with strategy in HW. You win it by being the fastest at making units. Mainly Scorpion tanks and hogs
There's a reason why HW wasn't popular with the general public. Only a small handful of people play it, and these players put in no diversity into the game. Some units are never even used in HW. You don't win a game with strategy in HW. You win it by being the fastest at making units. Mainly Scorpion tanks and hogs
Because it's a console RTS?

Yeah some units were useless and others OP but these would be things to tweak and improve on.
I don't want to argue with anybody, but here are my opinions:
  • Halo Wars 2 is already looking like a vast improvement graphically and I can't wait for those story cinematic scenes.
  • The game offers new units.
  • The game offers old units.
  • The game play is relativity similar with only a few tweaks here and there, I would say this improves upon its flow.
  • I notice people criticising the game saying it is just a case of rushing the enemy. Well, 1. Its the Beta not the Full-Game. 2. Get better strategy or find a way to combat this happening or 3. copy their strategy and get better doing it.
  • The game plans DLC through a Season Pass, I for one am happy to pay that. For new leaders, story expansions and extra content :D
  • How can people complain about 343 been money orientated when they are giving us all this free Halo 5 Content?
  • I cant wait to see Halo Wars 2 full-game and I WILL be one of the first to play it on launch :)
~TATMAN
To all of you saying that Halo Wars was perfect... It was far from it.

Without a doubt it was the best console RTS, but it was full of glitches, exploits, terrible pathfinding, patchworked unit balancing, lacked depth, and had little variety.

Creating a Halo Wars 1.5 is not the way to go.

Without a doubt it was the best console RTS, but it was full of glitches, exploits, terrible pathfinding, patchworked unit balancing, lacked depth, and had little variety.

All these things you say are true, but I personally played it for a chance to control the armies of my favourite fictional universe. I cant wait for the LORE!!!!!
The Beta already shows signs of an improved Halo Wars!

Couldn't see the "perfect" quotes?
Halo Wars 1 was definitely not balanced. In 1v1, Anders would completely dominate any other UNSC character. Wanna stop her with infantry? She'll have warthogs. Want to stop her with armor? Gremlins. Want to stop her with air? Cryo bomb + warthogs. Covenant could almost always successfully rush an enemy UNSC character.

2v2 was all about the Banshee/leader rush.

3v3, every match boiled down to power turret scorpions + wolverines or hunters + vampires. Wolverines killed bases almost as fast as tanks.

God, do I hate the path finding in HW. Literally costed me my games by wasting time on proper unit alignment.
Well isn't this a dramatic post...

Some people just can't accept change, and from what 343 has done so far, I think we should all be used to 343 taking a different direction with Halo games by now.
How do you go from having a great game in halo wars 1 and ruining everything you've made in the hall wars 2. The original was already perfect it just needed more maps or characters or troops but the entire gameplay, currency, and concept was already great. Maybe it could be used some fixes with glitches and bugs but we wanted that fixed with new maps, characters, troops, etc. We didn't want an entirely new different game like you gave us. We want the old game back simple. Trash everything in the beta and start continuing from halo wars 1. Everything was more balanced, more fair, and most importantly MORE FUN. We don't want this game where you need to take weeks to figure out we want the strategy with simple gameplay. Halo wars 1 had bugs, was a little glitchy, strategic, and fun. Halo wars 2 is buggy, glitchy, technical, and because of that maybe too competitive. Stop trying to please all your competitive fans because that's 1% of halo's entire community instead please the 99% of your fans who just want to have fun with the game. If this game doesn't change I'm gonna get my money back for the "deluxe" version of your game since it'll have more features with more money cause that's all halo industries and 343 care about now.
Reported, for nonconstructive posting.

Everything is balanced. You're just unwilling to accept change and unable to adapt. Your complaints have no basis other than personal preference. Stop stating opinions like they're facts. Unless they're positive.
Reported for nonconstructive posting? Are you one of those that need a safe space? I for one agree with most of what OP had to state and it's pretty constructive as it addresses concerns and solutions. i'd personally love to see where your basis and facts on everything being balanced. i can't think of a beta that has ever had everything balanced, hence why it's in beta. The units do need some retooling but that can be ironed out before release.
Everything has it's counter. There is no reason other than my personal failures that I've lost.

I can't carry a 1v2... personal failure.
1v2 full army vs. full army... cannot win... too much DPS. Personal failure.
Built Artillery to counter Infantry... countered by air force... in 1v2, personal failure.

I'm a hero. A former SC2 master in HotS, which isn't saying much nowadays because of LotV.

The units? Nerfing Marines will cause imbalance in whole system. Current system utilizes clear-cut methods to utilize, it's all balanced in my perspective, because I can adapt and find methods to counter... if it can be countered it is no imbalanced. Slightly overpowered, maybe... but not imbalanced..

Your passive-aggressive insult was amusingly unoriginal and flawed. He expresses concerns... and urges CA to make a clone of HW. That is insulting. Not constructive. But then you were so quick to insult me from your high horse which is a display of hideously obsolete and unfounded arrogance, so you wouldn't even be remotely capable of understanding a true Halo Saga fan's reasoning and logic. I am infallible. Halo is love. Halo is life... Halo forever. Even 343i's Halo... except Halo 4's ending.
I agree completely. If you want a more in-depth conversation about this point, read up here:

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/forums/38bd6e2ebbb14e5b9b359bb029588800/topics/make-hw2-feel-more-like-hw1-or-lose-fan-following/e2fbdfb9-42e6-44e7-9c36-f2bc4bd6199e/posts
As much as I enjoyed halo wars 1. it was not without its issue. it was unbalanced. Leaders were unbalanced. Some many people rushing with the prophet. Took a lot of fun out of it. I have only played a few games on this beta, but I am enjoying myself. its different, so I got to re learn. remember this is a beta, things can get changed.
Halo Wars 1 had such less content and there wasnt many ways to go about the gameplay. There was only so many ways to make your units stronger, plus veterancy. In this game there seems to be a bunch more ways to make vehicles and a whole army stronger. Plus veterancy and upgrades. I like the fact that there is domination now. the fact that there is supplies and energy makes it more interesting. In domination mode, i like the fact that you can decapture a base. I have been in 2 different 1v2s where i used jackrabbits to decapture, they can even capture if you get the commander ability. I like the sniper units, though i still which you could have a spartan facility where you can chose the type of spartan you want and follow its path. like a heavy duty sniper spartan or a rocket launcher spartan. This game came be pretty strategic and it has a lot of potential. A lot of units are extremely useful, Though im still learning.
Not trying to be a jerk, just helpful/informative.

The correct term should be "your point is moot".
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3