Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Colossus Upgrade Idea

OP ABedofFlowers

I think I speak for the majority of us when I say the Colossus, a long range unit, having an underwhelming and super slow close range stomp as an upgrade doesn't make much sense.

After thinking of some strategies for another RTS game, I came to remember a certain mini-base/vehicle hybrid called the Rig. It has anti vehicle auto cannons, anti air missiles, stealth detection, and vehicle repair drones. (It isn't nearly as OP as it sounds)

So what if we were to replace the stomp with a similar function for the Colossus, allowing you to lock it down so it could detect stealth and heal friendlies or even just detect stealth while keeping the long range cannon. Maybe allow this to tie in with Johnson's tier 1 Remote Sensors ability.
It shouldn't have any anti-air missiles since that's what Infantry is supposed to do. I do agree with the "stomp" ability though. My personal suggestion was to give him a lockdown ability similar to Cobras where they gain increased armor, damage and range when locked down. Perhaps an additional upgrade would be to give it radar (increased field of vision) and quicker transition from lockdown to unlocked.
It shouldn't have any anti-air missiles since that's what Infantry is supposed to do. I do agree with the "stomp" ability though. My personal suggestion was to give him a lockdown ability similar to Cobras where they gain increased armor, damage and range when locked down. Perhaps an additional upgrade would be to give it radar (increased field of vision) and quicker transition from lockdown to unlocked.
The anti air missiles were in reference to the Rig, not Colossus. I was just saying what it had to put into perspective what the Colossus was being compared to in the case that it did get a lock down/minibase upgrade.
The anti air missiles were in reference to the Rig, not Colossus. I was just saying what it had to put into perspective what the Colossus was being compared to in the case that it did get a lock down/minibase upgrade.
Oh snap, my bad! I was speed reading because I had like 8 tabs opened already.
i really like this idea. stomp sucks because they move so slow
Yomado wrote:
Not only that, but Stomp itself is a very, very slow ability that is easily dodged unless playing someone who isn't paying attention. By the unit description it's also a long-range, slow unit that they tacked on an attack that requires being close enough to touch the other unit.
Yomado wrote:
Not only that, but Stomp itself is a very, very slow ability that is easily dodged unless playing someone who isn't paying attention. By the unit description it's also a long-range, slow unit that they tacked on an attack that requires being close enough to touch the other unit.
I think they meant it to be a way it could defend itself at close range with. Unfortunately, their solution doesn't work and gives a false sense of security.
Yomado wrote:
I think they meant it to be a way it could defend itself at close range with. Unfortunately, their solution doesn't work and gives a false sense of security.
Isn't that partly what Mech Overdrive is for though? It's a life-savor for negating leader powers, but I've found that sometimes I have to decide between using Mech Overdrive or Combat Salvage.

Mech Overdrive is phenomenal for healing the Colossus and Mantis when engaging or for chasing down a retreating Scarab to finish it off. I've found myself using Combat Salvage to negate a leader power like the Cleansing Beam, using Nightingale smoke combined with Mech Overdrive to heal my remaining units and Pelican transport to flank the enemy force with the Combat Salvaged units.
Yomado wrote:
Isn't that partly what Mech Overdrive is for though? It's a life-savor for negating leader powers, but I've found that sometimes I have to decide between using Mech Overdrive or Combat Salvage.

Mech Overdrive is phenomenal for healing the Colossus and Mantis when engaging or for chasing down a retreating Scarab to finish it off. I've found myself using Combat Salvage to negate a leader power like the Cleansing Beam, using Nightingale smoke combined with Mech Overdrive to heal my remaining units and Pelican transport to flank the enemy force with the Combat Salvaged units.
Never bad to have a backup plan
I find its range to be super short. For supposedly having super long range its not even comparable to kodiak/locust/blisterbacks... It has to sit in turret range to attack a base? It has less range than atriox's chosen...
I find its range to be super short. For supposedly having super long range its not even comparable to kodiak/locust/blisterbacks... It has to sit in turret range to attack a base? It has less range than atriox's chosen...
The Wraith has more range then the Colossus. Now put Symbiotes on that Wraith and it now has nearly double the range of the colossus. When supposedly the colossus can attack from huge distances
The Wraith has more range then the Colossus. Now put Symbiotes on that Wraith and it now has nearly double the range of the colossus. When supposedly the colossus can attack from huge distances
yeah. When i tested it against ai it was kinda pathetic even when maxed out. Symbiotes is the absolute best part of colony.