Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Combat Repair should not effect Hunter Captain

OP Evanescence426

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I just lost a 1v1 game on mirage and I gotta say this combat repair on the hunter Captain is insane. I had complete map control, had all the bases on the map and my opponent was on his one main base. On Mirage there is a garrison right next to the main bases and if colony gets a hunter captain with 2 skitteres in there with a cloaked base and a scarab with reavers and engineers it seems impossible to beat. I had a full pop of wraiths shooting the hunter captain with scorch and vehicle level 3 and his health was barely going down. He didn’t use a single engineer to heal it and I watched multiple times as my entire army would die before I could kill one unit. If I try to attack the base the scarab would just kill my army with the hunter captain. After playing for an hour I resigned. Anyone know how to beat this colony set up?
its called a super turtle mate they are not hard to break if you think properly :D
okay then tell me what you would do?
tele as many of his units out and kill them quick, then go in and focus the scarab because it takes more resources to replace the scarab and just keep doing that till he is out of resources, just make sure you killed all his mini bases and took all the power nodes to make sure he has literally no power regeneration and such and basically starve him for resources
How does this stop hunter captain anyhow? If his army beats yours, there is no starving him thats for damn sure. You cant assume colony will go scarab either. If Colony goes scarry anyhow, you wont be able to kill it because CR heals on a percentage that nearly overheals all damage it gets; especially with skitters.
you don't actually understand CR, CR actually heals for a very little amount in the course of a battle, you see the main heaing for HC is his life siphon overcharge, his healing is tied to the amount of damage he does, so if he is veterancy that means he is tougher to kill in every way and it isn't just a say for every veterancy he gets like 15% more dmg and 15% more armor or tougher whatever it is no, for HC his survivability goes up exponentially with veterancy because not only does he get damage reduction (I think that is one of the perks that veterancy gives not 100% sure) and damage increase for every level so because he was probably high veterancy then he was doing much more damage and healing more damage then regular HC fully upgraded plus having the perks of being in a garrison is what made him seem unkillable but CR does VERY little healing compared to his main weapon
I just lost a 1v1 game on mirage and I gotta say this combat repair on the hunter Captain is insane. I had complete map control, had all the bases on the map and my opponent was on his one main base. On Mirage there is a garrison right next to the main bases and if colony gets a hunter captain with 2 skitteres in there with a cloaked base and a scarab with reavers and engineers it seems impossible to beat. I had a full pop of wraiths shooting the hunter captain with scorch and vehicle level 3 and his health was barely going down. He didn’t use a single engineer to heal it and I watched multiple times as my entire army would die before I could kill one unit. If I try to attack the base the scarab would just kill my army with the hunter captain. After playing for an hour I resigned. Anyone know how to beat this colony set up?
its called a super turtle mate they are not hard to break if you think properly :D
okay then tell me what you would do?
tele as many of his units out and kill them quick, then go in and focus the scarab because it takes more resources to replace the scarab and just keep doing that till he is out of resources, just make sure you killed all his mini bases and took all the power nodes to make sure he has literally no power regeneration and such and basically starve him for resources
How does this stop hunter captain anyhow? If his army beats yours, there is no starving him thats for damn sure. You cant assume colony will go scarab either. If Colony goes scarry anyhow, you wont be able to kill it because CR heals on a percentage that nearly overheals all damage it gets; especially with skitters.
you don't actually understand CR, CR actually heals for a very little amount in the course of a battle, you see the main heaing for HC is his life siphon overcharge, his healing is tied to the amount of damage he does, so if he is veterancy that means he is tougher to kill in every way and it isn't just a say for every veterancy he gets like 15% more dmg and 15% more armor or tougher whatever it is no, for HC his survivability goes up exponentially with veterancy because not only does he get damage reduction (I think that is one of the perks that veterancy gives not 100% sure) and damage increase for every level so because he was probably high veterancy then he was doing much more damage and healing more damage then regular HC fully upgraded plus having the perks of being in a garrison is what made him seem unkillable but CR does VERY little healing compared to his main weapon
That is like saying goo does no damage. It does small tick damage but it adds up fast if you cant leave it. CR actually does alot of healing, especially helpful as it negates the need of engineers. Also, CR is OP onscarry with such large healing
For everyone’s reference, combat repair heals 1% per tick and I think the rate is 1 tick per second. As a colony main, it’s nice, but I don’t think it really skews that many engagements.
Veterency adds armor and damage so when you get vet 3, you not only have a unit with a high health pool, you also take a significantly less amount of damage.
here is the issue with the hunter captain, you need about an army of 60 to kill him if he is by himself, his saving grace is that he mostly does point damage so he doesn’t skew battles too hard offensively. Needing that much to kill is not an HC specific problem and it shows up with or without combat repair. Douglas, kinsano, commander jerome, Alice, spartan jerome, decimus, and the warlord all take far too much to kill for the 0 population that they cost. This has nothing to do with combat repair, this is a hero problem.
This is where we have to ask ourselves if we are okay with this. Do we want a game of dominant heros. I don’t have the answer to this and each person has their opinions, but fighting over combat repair gets us nowhere because at the end of the day, it just doesn’t do that much in the middle of a battle.
THEWALL766 wrote:
For everyone’s reference, combat repair heals 1% per tick and I think the rate is 1 tick per second. As a colony main, it’s nice, but I don’t think it really skews that many engagements.
Veterency adds armor and damage so when you get vet 3, you not only have a unit with a high health pool, you also take a significantly less amount of damage.
here is the issue with the hunter captain, you need about an army of 60 to kill him if he is by himself, his saving grace is that he mostly does point damage so he doesn’t skew battles too hard offensively. Needing that much to kill is not an HC specific problem and it shows up with or without combat repair. Douglas, kinsano, commander jerome, Alice, spartan jerome, decimus, and the warlord all take far too much to kill for the 0 population that they cost. This has nothing to do with combat repair, this is a hero problem.
This is where we have to ask ourselves if we are okay with this. Do we want a game of dominant heros. I don’t have the answer to this and each person has their opinions, but fighting over combat repair gets us nowhere because at the end of the day, it just doesn’t do that much in the middle of a battle.
I agree with you 300%. It's not a HC problem it's an overall Hero problem. People are complaining about HC haha wait until warlord has his BS back, that will be a nightmare.
Anyways i don't think he needs a nerv atm maybe when he gets teleport but time will show.
The problem was two-fold. I play Colony a lot and also like to dig in the Hunter Captain, however though combat repair was helping to keep him alive, your problem was using Wraiths, the Captain rips Wraiths apart like they're made of cardboard and his beam weapon restores health according to his damage dealt, in effect as long as he was shooting you he was gaining health at a massive rate due to his anti-vehicle advantage, garrison bonuses, combat repair AND his own weapon. Personally against other Colony's I tend to avoid they're Captain as much as possible because it's basically as close to a siege-breaker unit as Halo Wars 2 has (massive health, high damage, aoe taunt to draw fire, but is slow as hell). Vehicles even in mass against a upgraded and garrisoned Captain is just feeding him health, veterancy and send units to they're death. Your best bet would've probably been to either mass air against the captain (sounds scummy but massed banshee's or hornet's hurt him badly and if he starts losing he can't run from them though the reavers would be a problem) or to bypass him and siege the base with the scarab (harder but you could approach from an angle where you couldn't be crossfired if possible). In my experience playing as and against Colony, the Captain's speed is the way to beat him, he's to slow to retreat if the fight turns against him (why you often find him in garrisoned in choke points) and he's also to slow to cut off an enemy advance coming from another direction, you don't need to kill him you just need to keep him from intervening in the fight. All you could've probably done was half anti-vehicle, half anti-infantry specifically snipers and cyclops or hunters and rangers.
The problem was two-fold. I play Colony a lot and also like to dig in the Hunter Captain, however though combat repair was helping to keep him alive, your problem was using Wraiths, the Captain rips Wraiths apart like they're made of cardboard and his beam weapon restores health according to his damage dealt, in effect as long as he was shooting you he was gaining health at a massive rate due to his anti-vehicle advantage, garrison bonuses, combat repair AND his own weapon. Personally against other Colony's I tend to avoid they're Captain as much as possible because it's basically as close to a siege-breaker unit as Halo Wars 2 has (massive health, high damage, aoe taunt to draw fire, but is slow as hell). Vehicles even in mass against a upgraded and garrisoned Captain is just feeding him health, veterancy and send units to they're death. Your best bet would've probably been to either mass air against the captain (sounds scummy but massed banshee's or hornet's hurt him badly and if he starts losing he can't run from them though the reavers would be a problem) or to bypass him and siege the base with the scarab (harder but you could approach from an angle where you couldn't be crossfired if possible). In my experience playing as and against Colony, the Captain's speed is the way to beat him, he's to slow to retreat if the fight turns against him (why you often find him in garrisoned in choke points) and he's also to slow to cut off an enemy advance coming from another direction, you don't need to kill him you just need to keep him from intervening in the fight. All you could've probably done was half anti-vehicle, half anti-infantry specifically snipers and cyclops or hunters and rangers.
You brought up some good points and I agree with them. I’m not saying he should be nerfed but I do think leaders are too strong in a garrison, especially the HC. Yeah perhaps the wraiths were a bad idea but that map is such a pain in the *** because there are garrisons right in front of the base for leaders to camp in. Then there is the cloak and shields that units can hide under... it’s just a pain to deal with.
Honestly? I agree. Playing Terminus Firefight, for example, HC is able to not only tank mid-to-late waves on his own with full veterancy and upgrades, but kill everything trying to kill him as well.

HC is one of the only heroes right now that feels like they're more at home in the first halo wars than here. Colony players are better off just using him w/ skitterers just because he's so powerful.
You brought up some good points and I agree with them. I’m not saying he should be nerfed but I do think leaders are too strong in a garrison, especially the HC. Yeah perhaps the wraiths were a bad idea but that map is such a pain in the *** because there are garrisons right in front of the base for leaders to camp in. Then there is the cloak and shields that units can hide under... it’s just a pain to deal with.
I 100% agree, the map is awful for leader camping as all the garrisons are either near a base or in a good choke point. As I said to, especially with the Hunter Captain I will purposely avoid him because it takes so much more effort to kill him than to just avoid him while he's garrisoned. Personally as a biased Colony player I believe the Captain performs correctly, he is a force when fielded and used effectively and that's exactly how he should stay, even if he is ok OP in garrisons. Shields and cloak, I couldn't even tell you how many fights I would've won/lost if neither of those existed, even as a Banished player I understand it is such a pain to siege cloaked and shielded Banished bases (ex: I have personally fought off two armies attacking me at once due to moving units back into the shield and picking off the detect units the enemy has).
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2