Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Combat Tech Marines and Grunt Changes

OP Postums

Hey Everyone,

So there has been some slight confusion about the changes to combat tech marines and grunts as a whole. This is due to attempting to over simplify a lot of math down to a single "this % is changing" value. Below is a complete breakdown of the math and changes that we have done in regards to Marines, Brute Grunts, and Elite Grunts. Enjoy!

So base grunts currently do 140.6 dps vs. core air. After this update they will do 163.8 dps.
A 15% overall improvement in damage to core air.
Marines currently do 159.6 dps vs. core air. After this update they will do 184.8 dps to core air.
A 14.7% overall improvement in damage to core air.
Upgraded brute grunts currently do 197.6 vs. core air. After this update they will do 235.2
A 16% damage increase when fully upgraded.
Upgrade Combat tech marines currently do 264.1 vs. core air. After this update they will do 281.7.
A 6.3% increase vs air at combat tech.

Grunts the individual ones are getting a total of 1dps per grunt (13 to 14) for a total of 4 dps increase.
The initial Brute/Elite is no change to the brute and 2 more dps to the elite in this group. So brute ones are 22 while elite ones are going up from 22 to 24. (they don't have grenade and are going to need it).

Brute Grunts are going from 74dps to 78 dps as a squad. An exact change of 5.23% change in dps.
Elite Grunts are going from 74 dps to 80 dps as a squad. An exact change of 7.5% change in dps.

The added units at pack brother/squad reserves are receiving a 4 dps buff each (30-34 and 34-38).
Brute Grunts are going from 104 dps to 112 dps. An overall improvement of 7.2% for the unit at that upgrade in dps.
Elite Grunts are going from 108 dps to 118 dps. An overall improvement of 8.5% for the unit at that upgrade in dps.

The Combat tech upgrade is quite better then pack brother and squad reserves, so I gave that upgrade more love than combat tech. CT is coming down overall, but vs. air it is improving still.

Base marines are going from 84 to 88 dps with the individual marines going from 21 to 22 each within the squad.
The individual combat tech marine that joins the marine squad is lowering in damage from 55 to 51.
Combat tech marine is the same at a solid 139 dps

The modifier change vs. core air is from 1.9 to 2.1.
The modifier change vs. heavy air is from 1.4 to 1.5.
The modifier for combat tech rocket is the same at 1.9 vs core air as this is a different weapon type used on other units in the game so it is not changing at this time.
2/10 too much math
2+2 is 4 minus 1 that's 3, quick maths
2/10 too much math
i can still thunk real good
When are the cannon fodder buffs vs air?
I think they be good against air early but still, they are not strong enough to handle air late game. With this update do marines go green to handle air with combat engineers? As for grunts vs air why not give them another grunt to help with dps because they are already weaker against everything.
Heavy grunts are the best anti air in the game
Very much appreciate this thorough explanation. From what I remember, I enjoyed the infantry vs air dynamic in Command and Conquer Zero hour, where if air was unfortunate enough to end up over a ball of infantry it melted very quickly. Hopefully this will appease some of the folks still struggling to deal with air units.
Can you drop the numbers for Heavy Grunts as well? I would like to compare them to the others.
Canon fodder is free so why there are heavy grunts