Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Cyclops is a terrible unit. Please send help.

OP XavieroftheWind

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
For 1s.

It's all in the title and I think we all agree that the only time these things arent terrible, is maxed out infantry level with shock rounds or crammed into a mastodon to keep them from dying from a sneeze.
Hunters are just much more effective at the job than these jobbers.
Cyclops are so low dps and health it is laughable. No one builds these. Because they're ineffective and made of paper.

Not to mention, few elite rangers will 100% destroy your cyclops attempt because they are very slightly overtuned.

Please throw these guys some love. This game has been rocky since the start but I believe we can get some real balance in there.
Cyclop:"Oh your picking on the wrong guy""
Cyclopes are the only unit in game i can thing of that loses to it's counters. I think a 5-10% health buff is called for. After T2 Marines got nerfed it is especially useful they have little AV potential.
T2 marines do the same vs t2 vehicles

Cyclops just suck

Have you ever seen a cyclops vs a Kodiak?
Rangers are definitely OP. Really the only reason to go infantry vs Banished is either if you're Anders and CT and dispersion is cheap or if they go into air on t2. A nerf to them would help Clops.

Although I think they could use some additional range or better accuracy or both. Currently Hogs are far too effective against them. The main problem I see is that when Hogs ram them they take a good 2 seconds to get out of the recovery animation and start shooting again. If the Hogs stutter their rams and the Clops are in low numbers the Clops won't kill a single Hog. And we're talking about a unit that's 250 supply vs a unit that's 150/120 (I think so at least, I hardly build them lul). Not only that, but Clops are supposed to counter Hogs.
For 1s.

It's all in the title and I think we all agree that the only time these things arent terrible, is maxed out infantry level with shock rounds or crammed into a mastodon to keep them from dying from a sneeze.
Cyclops are so low dps and health it is laughable. No one builds these. Because they're ineffective and made of paper.

Not to mention, few elite rangers will 100% destroy your cyclops attempt because they are very slightly overtuned.

Please throw these guys some love. This game has been rocky since the start but I believe we can get some real balance in there.
I made this a while back Cyclops Are Bad Units, things have not changed in 8 months.
It's true, they are very bad, they should be on par with hunters and obviously they are not. A cyclop should be easy to win easily versus a same leveled locust or warthogs.
THEWALL766 wrote:
For 1s.

I made this a while back Cyclops Are Bad Units, things have not changed in 8 months.
RIP. Well, fingers crossed mate. #YesWeCan
Sarge: You've been selected for cyclops duty soldier. Come climb in your rig.
Marine: The big armoured battle suits that make me like a walking tank? Cool.
Sarge: errr, yeah thats right, the big battle suit.
Marine: It feels comfy sarge, light and mobile. I thought these used to be quite slow moving?
Sarge: Well we made a few changes, we added a big pea shooter and to make it move faster we took off all the heavy armour.
Marine: But isn't the armour whats going to keep me alive when taking on enemy vehicles?
Sarge: Orders just in, your up son go make me proud.
Marine: What just me on my own?
Sarge: Yeah, well these suits are pretty expensive, they cost a lot of energy and the commander can only afford one. Good luck.
They need more HP, speed, acceleration, and range!
Rangers are definitely OP. Really the only reason to go infantry vs Banished is either if you're Anders and CT and dispersion is cheap or if they go into air on t2. A nerf to them would help Clops.

Although I think they could use some additional range or better accuracy or both. Currently Hogs are far too effective against them. The main problem I see is that when Hogs ram them they take a good 2 seconds to get out of the recovery animation and start shooting again. If the Hogs stutter their rams and the Clops are in low numbers the Clops won't kill a single Hog. And we're talking about a unit that's 250 supply vs a unit that's 150/120 (I think so at least, I hardly build them lul). Not only that, but Clops are supposed to counter Hogs.
Interesting, your last point: you could switch out "Hogs" for "Hornets" and "Cyclops" for "Wolverines" and you have the same argument that is always presented in those "Air OP" threads. Hornets being 300 supply and Wolves only 150/190 (i think) and thats why its easier to spam air and upgrade at the same time.
LoA neo2 wrote:

Interesting, your last point: you could switch out "Hogs" for "Hornets" and "Cyclops" for "Wolverines" and you have the same argument that is always presented in those "Air OP" threads. Hornets being 300 supply and Wolves only 150/190 (i think) and thats why its easier to spam air and upgrade at the same time.
You see, but Wolverines actually beat Hornets. Cyclops don’t beat Warthogs, and that’s a serious problem. Hornets also can’t ram AA and stun lock it, like Warthogs can do the Cyclops. Nice try, but not a good comparison.

On track; I think Cyclops need a buff I’m just about every area. They’re not as tanky as Hunters, so they need to have a higher speed/acceleration to compensate this. And without a doubt, they need to hit harder. Even with Shock Rounds, they seem to minimal damage. More health or a higher resistance to vehicles also wouldn’t hurt. I don’t have any actual numbers to back this up, but my gosh, Cyclops feel horrendous.
LoA neo2 wrote:
You see, but Wolverines actually beat Hornets. Cyclops don’t beat Warthogs, and that’s a serious problem. Hornets also can’t ram AA and stun lock it, like Warthogs can do the Cyclops. Nice try, but not a good comparison.
Joker understands me 😇
LoA neo2 wrote:

On track; I think Cyclops need a buff I’m just about every area. They’re not as tanky as Hunters, so they need to have a higher speed/acceleration to compensate this. And without a doubt, they need to hit harder. Even with Shock Rounds, they seem to minimal damage. More health or a higher resistance to vehicles also wouldn’t hurt. I don’t have any actual numbers to back this up, but my gosh, Cyclops feel horrendous.
The current Damage modifier for AV vs Medium (Hogs, Marauders, Mantis) is 2.5

Looking at HP and DPS per pop (excluding upgrades)
Cyclops ( 5610 HP, 155 DPS)
  • 1402.5 HP per pop
  • 38.75 DPS
Hunters ( 7350 HP, 180 DPS)
Time to kill is the biggest issue. Below are rough estimates that do not include Rams and assume that Cyclops/Hunter will focus fire one hog at a time. First time is number of seconds for 1 Cyclops/Hunter to kill 2 Warthogs and the second number is how many seconds for 2 Warthogs to kill 1 Cyclops/Hunter. EDIT: Also I am assuming that both hunters remain alive in the squad. Squad members dying is random, so the number I give For Warthogs vs Hunters could possibly deviate more so than for cyclops.

1 Cyclops vs 1 Warthogs
  • For Cyclops: 16.9 seconds
  • For Warthogs: 51.1
1 Hunter vs 1 Warthogs
  • For Hunter: 14.6 seconds
  • For Warthogs: 66.9
1 Cyclops vs 2 Warthogs
  • For Cyclops: 33.8 seconds
  • For Warthogs: 34.2
1 Hunter vs 2 Warthogs
  • For Hunter: 29.2 seconds
  • For Warthogs: 52.4
1 Cyclops vs 3 Warthogs
  • For Cyclops: 50.8 seconds
  • For Warthogs: 17.1
1 Hunter vs 3 Warthogs
  • For Hunter: 43.75 seconds
  • For Warthogs: 26.2
I always figured that Gauss cannon hogs were intended to fill the gap and be the stronger AV option for UNSC.

Hey, why not just bring Cobras back? :)
EiTeNeR wrote:
LoA neo2 wrote:

• 1402.5 HP per pop
  • 38.75 DPS
Time to kill is the biggest issue. Below are rough estimates that do not include Rams and assume that Cyclops/Hunter will focus fire one hog at a time. First time is number of seconds for 1 Cyclops/Hunter to kill 2 Warthogs and the second number is how many seconds for 2 Warthogs to kill 1 Cyclops/Hunter.

1 Cyclops vs 1 Warthogs
1 Hunter vs 1 Warthogs
1 Cyclops vs 2 Warthogs
1 Hunter vs 2 Warthogs
1 Cyclops vs 3 Warthogs
1 Hunter vs 3 Warthogs
The man with the numbers. Beautiful. Thank you for this. Really helps demonstrate how far behind Cyclops are.

The 1 AV VS 2 Hogs is what concerns me the most.
EiTeNeR wrote:
LoA neo2 wrote:

• 1402.5 HP per pop
  • 38.75 DPS
Time to kill is the biggest issue. Below are rough estimates that do not include Rams and assume that Cyclops/Hunter will focus fire one hog at a time. First time is number of seconds for 1 Cyclops/Hunter to kill 2 Warthogs and the second number is how many seconds for 2 Warthogs to kill 1 Cyclops/Hunter.

1 Cyclops vs 1 Warthogs
1 Hunter vs 1 Warthogs
1 Cyclops vs 2 Warthogs
1 Hunter vs 2 Warthogs
1 Cyclops vs 3 Warthogs
1 Hunter vs 3 Warthogs
The man with the numbers. Beautiful. Thank you for this. Really helps demonstrate how far behind Cyclops are.

The 1 AV VS 2 Hogs is what concerns me the most.
Oh yes these numbers are very beautiful.

They definitely seem to fall to pieces in any sort of group fighting scenario in my own experience. Its interesting just how much more survivability hunters bring to the table. That's probably why it feels like they do more damage than the cyclops as well. They just survive long enough to actually kill their targets in numbers.

I think we would all like to see AV units becoming more of a heavy infantry type unit capable of doing a slight bIt more damage to all targets and tanking a bit as well. To offset their terrible speed and combat angle.
Also I am assuming that both hunters remain alive in the squad. Squad members dying is random, so the number I give For Warthogs vs Hunters could possibly deviate more so than for cyclops.

Just looking at the numbers, Cyclops really need around 6200 HP and the damage modifier for AV vs Medium should be increased from 2.5 to 2.85 (something between 2.8-2.9). Ram damage vs AV might need to be looked at but I would not do the proposed AV buff and a Ram nerf in the same patch.

The only issue is how does this affect Marauders, Mantis, Mastodons, and Methane Wagons. I believe all of the other units will be fine besides Marauders. They could still use some HP transferred from Thick Hide to the base Marauder.
I’ve had my share with the cyclops being a little to underpowered, it’s suppose to be a counter unit and loses t it’s counter? Very frustrating to say the least. A health buff would do then some justice but hunters are still the best AV
EiTeNeR wrote:
They need more HP, speed, acceleration, and range!
Cyclops can only just barely hit a bison at the edge of its cryo burst, it's really annoying.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2