Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Dem Snipers, Flamethrowers and Brute Packs

OP Wehrmacht Bunny

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I just learned about the extension of the beta a few hours ago, and I see people are still ruining the beta by spamming the most OP units in the game. The reason I stopped playing the game is no verity at all. You either have to spam Snipers, Flamethrowers or Jetpack brutes if you want to win. If you don't your chances of winning are very slim.So I'm finished with the beta for the duration of the time, because it's extremely annoying to play against, and extremely boring to play.

Just last match, the person I played against spammed 10 snipers, and 3 anti-air vehicles, and the rest were flamethrower troops. Everytime we got into combat, the snipers would 1 hit all my infantry, destroy my vehicles. He camped all ten near my firebase, and everything that came out was instantly destroyed. Game ended at 12 minutes in.

Before that match it was a calm match till 15 minutes in, and then all of asudden 40 upgraded jetpack troops. My snipers had little to no effect of them, and when I was spawning in my flame troops, because it was 5 flame troops due to the surprise, they all got wiped out by the 40 brutes.

The sad thing is, these tactics aren't just 1 out of 5, or 1 out of 3 games, it's every match. You either bring these units or face a loss.

If there isn't a second beta, I refuse to buy the game until I can find a used edition from gamestop, so if these issues are still here I can just return it.
Mate, it would appear you are a bit salty. All the units you suggested can be countered if you produce the right unit mix. The real problem are the choppers though. Ten minutes in and your dead unless you produce your own choppers.
Mate, it would appear you are a bit salty. All the units you suggested can be countered if you produce the right unit mix. The real problem are the choppers though. Ten minutes in and your dead unless you produce your own choppers.
Hmmm, must be most of the community is salty. When we all say nerf jetpack brutes, snipers, and flametroops.

Choppers, easy. Just produce anti vehicle units.
Wait.......Snipers?
Sniper attack vehicles and destroy bases? This is news to me.
Sniper attack vehicles and destroy bases? This is news to me.
With the upgraded sniper rifle (unlocked at T3), snipers deal increased damage and can damage vehicles.
Wait, so your complaint is you lost to a strategy, and when you used that strategy, you lost to a different one. Sounds exactly like any rts - the units are not "OP" it's just that these players are using counters to the strategy you use.

Rather than waiting the "calm 15" minutes. Scout the opponent a couple times, and make your army based off of his. Don't try to use an "OP strategy" because trust me, it wont work.
I'm seriously taking this as crying, get better at the game, my biggest problem has been garbage teammates. last game after my teammates quick and untimely demise(didnt even try to use their second base) I continued to hold off the other two players for 30 minutes before they were finally able to overpower me, and it took quite the effort from them at that. nothing can save you for a 2 v1 battle unless the 2 are complete morons. but I aint going down without a fight, I build my units to build quickly and over power by numbers and quantity, tons of wart hogs and hornets and I stack the bases so that I can rebuild as fast as you can destroy them. very tough out.
Jakaals wrote:
Wait, so your complaint is you lost to a strategy, and when you used that strategy, you lost to a different one. Sounds exactly like any rts - the units are not "OP" it's just that these players are using counters to the strategy you use.

Rather than waiting the "calm 15" minutes. Scout the opponent a couple times, and make your army based off of his. Don't try to use an "OP strategy" because trust me, it wont work.
I build my base defenses around the enemy, but use my forces for a blitzcrieg style of attack,
This does sound like a problem if only because it breaks the rock, paper, scissors rule.
The reason I said snipers was because they are OP as -Yoink-. They are invisable until they shoot, and that only lasts .7 seconds. They have insane recon range, and a single fully upgraded sniper can deal 1/3 of a units health. Bring 10 and camp an enemies base, whatever they spawn is destroyed unless its air, which can be easily countered with AA.
Spamming them leads to some really cheesy gameplay.
It needs a max of 2 units per player.
Hmmm, must be most of the community is salty. When we all say nerf jetpack brutes, snipers, and flametroops.

You can't produce anti-vehicle units tier 1. Two Atriox players can blitz the opposing team with choppers before they can even realize anti-vehicle is tier 2.

Try reading what top tier players have to say about the meta. Non of them feel that Jump pack brutes, snipers, or flamethrower are OP. Produce your own counter units mate with some other units so they don't get destroyed.
I loved the snipers, but was on the recieving end a few times. Camo was what made them OP, id make it an upgrade (even for the aesthetics of seeing the sniper design, as a bonus) it's too much early game. Perhaps even keep it Y ability but I know the whole "detects camo" or whatever's a big thing. I enjoyed using them but fick people struggle to stop them.
As UNSC, I'll admit I had trouble facing off against a good Sniper/Flamers rush mix.

Flamers take down bases surprisingly fast. Their damage vs. Buildings seems a little high.
As UNSC, I'll admit I had trouble facing off against a good Sniper/Flamers rush mix.

Flamers take down bases surprisingly fast. Their damage vs. Buildings seems a little high.
Id say units need two strengths, certainly with this little beta population. Too many units cant shoot air, even if some had a very light machine gun or something, like the cyclops,just a tickle is all so units are not sitting duck when one banshee turns up. Just an example. My main complaint on these lines is things like the wolverine, to counter an air army you need 6 at the very min.... But they are useless at everything else, can't attack a turreted base without losses. Maybe it's this low pop that forces players to rely on units multi tasking but i still say units need to have their main counter + another stregnth, even if it's mediocre.
The snipers are too OP, They're insane. One game I was in I had 5 snipers out and they took out 15+ marines within seconds! I personally think that they should start out with no camo and start with a weaker weapon such as a DMR (With no scopes/attachment).

Ideally the upgrades tier should be like this

1: Long range scope - The DMR will be upgraded with a scope, Increase vision range. Useful when a sniper is on a garrison tower
2: Sniper Rifle - Sniper will now be using a sniper rifle rather than a DMR
3: Active Camo - Snipers will now be invisible but will be exposed once they attack infantry units
4: Piercing shot - Do extra damage against infantry units.

You can't produce anti-vehicle units tier 1. Two Atriox players can blitz the opposing team with choppers before they can even realize anti-vehicle is tier 2.

Try reading what top tier players have to say about the meta. Non of them feel that Jump pack brutes, snipers, or flamethrower are OP. Produce your own counter units mate with some other units so they don't get destroyed.
Isnt a cyclops tier 1? Theres also the banshees for covies that are tier 1.

Ask all the top tier players? I was a plat 5 in the beta, which is second highest rank, and In those games they clearly abused op units. Spamming either flame troops, snipers or brutes.

And reading from the UNSC feedback, a lot of those "top tier" players agree with me.
This is a prime example of the halo community.
A player gives his feedback on an open beta and someone else shoots him down and calls him salty. ... classless
This is a prime example of the halo community.
A player gives his feedback on an open beta and someone else shoots him down and calls him salty. ... classless
Exactly.

I wouldnt call a unit OP unless I myself have used it and abused it. I hate it when people jump to the coclusion, 'you suck'.
I'm seriously taking this as crying, get better at the game, my biggest problem has been garbage teammates. last game after my teammates quick and untimely demise(didnt even try to use their second base) I continued to hold off the other two players for 30 minutes before they were finally able to overpower me, and it took quite the effort from them at that. nothing can save you for a 2 v1 battle unless the 2 are complete morons. but I aint going down without a fight, I build my units to build quickly and over power by numbers and quantity, tons of wart hogs and hornets and I stack the bases so that I can rebuild as fast as you can destroy them. very tough out.
Same happened to me. Im not even experienced at RTS and I still gave a 48 minute 2vs1 grudge match. It's all in how you play and learn from your matches.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2