Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Destruction of the Enduring Conviction

OP L3thalChick3n77

So the Enduring Conviction was destroyed by sentinels cutting the neck, but there are a few issues with this. CAS Class Assault Carriers can separate the head section from the rear section is the main one, as well as the fusion reactor that powers the ship being in the rear section, which should have been completely intact. So why does the power go off, and more importantly why didn't the banished separate the neck of the ship and continue to operate out of the rear section?
So the Enduring Conviction was destroyed by sentinels cutting the neck, but there are a few issues with this. CAS Class Assault Carriers can separate the head section from the rear section is the main one, as well as the fusion reactor that powers the ship being in the rear section, which should have been completely intact. So why does the power go off, and more importantly why didn't the banished separate the neck of the ship and continue to operate out of the rear section?
I would assume that Isabel had something to do with it as she was in the ships system at the time. Not to mention that there were thousands of sentinels, if not hundreds of thousands. Had the Banished just separated the head section, another section would have just been cleaved into two.
Excellent question and good point, but I'd say here that the key point is that the head can be separated. That requires prep-time, compartments need to be pressurized/depressurized, personnel need to be moved, etc. The Sentinels (thousands, as said above) tore the thing apart with a shocking disrespect for the capabilities of a CAS Carrier. :P
Well it is intended for emergencies so they wouldn't require much time, and the banished didn't even attempt to save it. The ship landed in two big pieces rather than 3, so the sentinels clearly didn't need to do anything to the rear.
Two more things that came to my mind though: first off, for it to be salvageable in that regard the Sentinels would have had to cut it off at exactly the point where it is designed to disconnect. They were probably close but I doubt that precise. In any event the disconnecting mechanism is certainly not intended to be torn apart to function.

Secondly, although it's referenced that the Banished are resupplying the Enduring Conviction from the ground, I'm pretty sure that they don't have any true ship fitting equipment. They don't have any shipyards, gantries, or factories with the capability to even reassemble a dismantled ship. Essentially the Conviction was the biggest windfall they ever got and they don't have the opportunity to replace it.

In short, I I think this is a really intriguing and valid point to raise. But while the Covenant certainly could have put the thing back together I doubt the Banished have anything like the capability to do so. Given their modus operandi (looting, salvaging, resource plundering and so forth) I think it's far more likely that they will cut their losses and dismantle the carrier for its raw materials.
I enjoy this kind of lore explanation, thanks for bringing it up!
Like mentioned above, Isabelle was in control of the ship at the time, which explains why the lights could have gone out ship-wide. The Sentinels might not have been trying to destroy the ship and make it inoperable, but just stop it from causing such damage to the Ark. Once Isabelle thought the ship had been sufficiently wrecked, she may have turned the glassing beam off, causing the Sentinels to high-five each other and peace out back to the surface. If the back part is in tact enough, and they're able to seal off the damaged bits, and turn off any bugs Isabelle may have left behind, they might be able to use what's left.

As long as the ships mechanics weren't in the blasted parts.
When the Resplendent Fervor split in half, the aft section seemed to just drift in space, and self-destructed soon afterwards. So, wether or not the rear module is any use by itself is unclear. Given that the sentinels cut the fore module of Enduring Conviction in half, seperation may have been pointless.

It also has to be noted that the Resplendent Fervor is the only CAS we've seen utilise modular dispersal technology, and that it and Enduring Conviction are different types of CAS. EC was a Syfon-pattern CAS, while RF was a different, unknown pattern, so Syfons may not have modular dispersal technology. The only CAS we've seen receive similarly significant damage to the EC, the Kerel-pattern Shadow of Intent, did not seperate either, despite the fact that the damage was caused by a fragment of the Flood-infested High Charity. Given Rtas 'Vadum's willingness to sacrifice everything to stop the Flood, it's unlikely that he wouldn't have split the SoI in half to avoid the Flood taking control of the entire ship.
Never knew that there were different patterns of carrier, cool...
Two more things that came to my mind though: first off, for it to be salvageable in that regard the Sentinels would have had to cut it off at exactly the point where it is designed to disconnect. They were probably close but I doubt that precise. In any event the disconnecting mechanism is certainly not intended to be torn apart to function.

Secondly, although it's referenced that the Banished are resupplying the Enduring Conviction from the ground, I'm pretty sure that they don't have any true ship fitting equipment. They don't have any shipyards, gantries, or factories with the capability to even reassemble a dismantled ship. Essentially the Conviction was the biggest windfall they ever got and they don't have the opportunity to replace it.

In short, I I think this is a really intriguing and valid point to raise. But while the Covenant certainly could have put the thing back together I doubt the Banished have anything like the capability to do so. Given their modus operandi (looting, salvaging, resource plundering and so forth) I think it's far more likely that they will cut their losses and dismantle the carrier for its raw materials.
The decoupling mechanism was not touched by where the sentinels attacked, so there is no way it could have been damaged. the head of the ship rests on top of the rear. There should have been some way to eject it quickly and efficiently given that it is intended for emergencies. It does not require a shipyard to do this. Also if they ejected the head section, it could have been scrapped for parts as well, they would have no reason not to save part of the ship.
MysticKami wrote:
Like mentioned above, Isabelle was in control of the ship at the time, which explains why the lights could have gone out ship-wide. The Sentinels might not have been trying to destroy the ship and make it inoperable, but just stop it from causing such damage to the Ark. Once Isabelle thought the ship had been sufficiently wrecked, she may have turned the glassing beam off, causing the Sentinels to high-five each other and peace out back to the surface. If the back part is in tact enough, and they're able to seal off the damaged bits, and turn off any bugs Isabelle may have left behind, they might be able to use what's left.

As long as the ships mechanics weren't in the blasted parts.
Given what we see in the cutscene, it is more than likely Isabelle was forced out by the failing power, it makes sense for the part of the ship they were in to have lost power, but not the whole thing. Them being able to salvage the rear is exactly what I'm talking about, they could easily have prevented it from crashing but they didn't.
Cybermat47 wrote:
When the Resplendent Fervor split in half, the aft section seemed to just drift in space, and self-destructed soon afterwards. So, wether or not the rear module is any use by itself is unclear. Given that the sentinels cut the fore module of Enduring Conviction in half, seperation may have been pointless.

It also has to be noted that the Resplendent Fervor is the only CAS we've seen utilise modular dispersal technology, and that it and Enduring Conviction are different types of CAS. EC was a Syfon-pattern CAS, while RF was a different, unknown pattern, so Syfons may not have modular dispersal technology. The only CAS we've seen receive similarly significant damage to the EC, the Kerel-pattern Shadow of Intent, did not seperate either, despite the fact that the damage was caused by a fragment of the Flood-infested High Charity. Given Rtas 'Vadum's willingness to sacrifice everything to stop the Flood, it's unlikely that he wouldn't have split the SoI in half to avoid the Flood taking control of the entire ship.
That may be a possibility, but I'm betting it was an oversight in Halo Wars 2, and that piece of canon may not have existed yet when Halo 3 came out.
Cybermat47 wrote:

That may be a possibility, but I'm betting it was an oversight in Halo Wars 2, and that piece of canon may not have existed yet when Halo 3 came out.
True, that’s a possible out of universe explanation. I’m offering a possible in-universe explanation, because part of being a fan is trying to turn mistakes into an immersive universe :)
And considering that Volir is a Shipmaster, he probably would've been well aware of his carrier's capabilities. Hmm...

OK, new theory from scratch: Let Volir was not on board the carrier. Quite possibly, it was under-strength with most of the Shipmaster's troops on the ground, as Atriox commanded (bear in mind that although it was thrashing the SoF, it wasn't using it's full capability and was mostly engaging with strikecraft from a range). It's possible that while they could have engaged the separation system and gotten the rear half online, they did not respond in time to do so (again, I highly doubt that the system was designed to be activated safely with a less-than-strength crew in what were probably mere minutes or even seconds, while hurtling towards a planetary surface, in time to halt the descent). Once the rear half hits the surface, that's it. It's not going to be in good enough shape to take off without a proper refit, and again, lack of Banished shipyard capabilities.

As a side note, based on what we see/know about the Banished attitude towards the Conviction and the Elites, my headcanon was that Atriox rather deliberately swapped quite a number of Elite troops with Brutes - i.e., a percentage of the Elites must serve on the ground at any one times as Rangers/Ghost pilots/ etc. while many of his Brutes are stationed on board the Conviction to man basic functions (but in reality keep an eye on the Elites and low-key hold Volir's troops hostage and keep them from getting ideas)
So I'm surmising that we have an understrength carrier. It's lacking the presence of it's commanding officer. Many of the troops on board are also Brutes rather than Elites. And the carrier has suffered traumatic damage and is hurtling towards the surface of the ark through a debris field, quite likely being sniped at by Sentinels the whole way. In other words, I doubt that this situation is conducive to a healthy usage of the separation mechanism.

But at the end of the day, it's easy enough: the separation ability is a more obscure lore bit. The vast majority of players won't give it a second thought; a covenant ship with it's head ripped off by Sentinels is going to go boom very nicely. It's good to call out these lore bits but really, the HW2 story team just didn't know and that's that... :P
And considering that Volir is a Shipmaster, he probably would've been well aware of his carrier's capabilities. Hmm...

OK, new theory from scratch: Let Volir was not on board the carrier. Quite possibly, it was under-strength with most of the Shipmaster's troops on the ground, as Atriox commanded (bear in mind that although it was thrashing the SoF, it wasn't using it's full capability and was mostly engaging with strikecraft from a range). It's possible that while they could have engaged the separation system and gotten the rear half online, they did not respond in time to do so (again, I highly doubt that the system was designed to be activated safely with a less-than-strength crew in what were probably mere minutes or even seconds, while hurtling towards a planetary surface, in time to halt the descent). Once the rear half hits the surface, that's it. It's not going to be in good enough shape to take off without a proper refit, and again, lack of Banished shipyard capabilities.

As a side note, based on what we see/know about the Banished attitude towards the Conviction and the Elites, my headcanon was that Atriox rather deliberately swapped quite a number of Elite troops with Brutes - i.e., a percentage of the Elites must serve on the ground at any one times as Rangers/Ghost pilots/ etc. while many of his Brutes are stationed on board the Conviction to man basic functions (but in reality keep an eye on the Elites and low-key hold Volir's troops hostage and keep them from getting ideas)
So I'm surmising that we have an understrength carrier. It's lacking the presence of it's commanding officer. Many of the troops on board are also Brutes rather than Elites. And the carrier has suffered traumatic damage and is hurtling towards the surface of the ark through a debris field, quite likely being sniped at by Sentinels the whole way. In other words, I doubt that this situation is conducive to a healthy usage of the separation mechanism.

But at the end of the day, it's easy enough: the separation ability is a more obscure lore bit. The vast majority of players won't give it a second thought; a covenant ship with it's head ripped off by Sentinels is going to go boom very nicely. It's good to call out these lore bits but really, the HW2 story team just didn't know and that's that... :P
Idk, I think it would both wow and surprise newer players if the ship separated, and it would've given them a good reason to make the game longer, or have more DLC campaigns. They may not have known, but if they had and utilized it it would've been amazing.
^True this...