Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Do rangers feel a bit too good to anyone else?

OP legofan3225

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
I don't really use them guess ill have to try it out
You send infantry against anti infantry it wont end well. But the elite bois are still bery weak, and most leaders can smash out those squads before they become a real threat
LbonB312 wrote:
They are anti Infantry. If they shred the enemy Hunters, Hellbringers, Jump Brutes, Goliaths, and Cyclops', then as far as I'm concerned, this is good. They were probably the most useless units to build pre-patch for anyone actually interested in winning the match.
Pre patch, the general consensus between high players seemed to be that rangers did well. 8 squads would rip through infantry builds of hunters, cyclops, etc; they struggled a bit more against CT marines. I certainly would not have considered them useless in the slightest before. Really, rangers could ALREADY kill everything they needed to.

Ado Ulamee wrote:
Snipers did the same thing before this patch and still do. Nothing wrong with the rangers now being an effective unit compared to before. You used to have to make several squads to counter an enemy army, thus wasting population. Now you can make two or three squads that can hold nodes and actually be a threat to enemy leader units. Plus the extra ranger adds more health/staying power to the whole squad.
So several squads to counter an enemy army isn't necessarily a bad thing. Only needing 2-3 squads to completely shut down infantry play is not a good thing- their cost-benefit is way too high compared to other counter units. If my math is right, the third member, even with the 50% health/damage reduction to each unit in the squad, still boosts the health and DPS by about 25%. That's already an insane buff, but we also see an increased fire rate from the squad which likely increases their DPS even higher. Doesn't that seem a little extreme?
UNSC have extreme range anti infantry at Tier 1.

Rangers are T2. They SHOULD be better. Its only logical.
The title really says it. Rangers were already effective pre-patch, but they absolutely shred infantry now. 6 squads will rip through a really large force of infantry on a level unparalleled by snipers or flamers. Combined with the CT marine nerf, this seems to place UNSC in a pretty bad spot this season....

In an earlier game, I was able to kill a 40+ pop infantry attack of JPBs, grunts, and a Warlord with only 3 squads fielded. That seems a little bit extreme. I still lost the game in the end, but I think I should've definitely lost sooner.
Yes it is I 100% agree with you seeing that JPB stun ground units, warlord brings units in and is also really hard to kill, plus lighting vortex is a thing, while grunts do decemt damage. Rangers shouldn’t be performing like that they are completely pooping on unsc infantry like their infantry was already beating unsc that buff wasn’t really needed to rangers at all it’s makes going infantry with unsc a no go rangers poop on any
form of infantry and guess what they poop on snipers and hellbringers neither doing good damage but rangers destroy these units
No. Rangers are actually weak considering they are tier 2 units.
Rangers are in a better place now. They were simply too weak all around for an expensive T2 unit, which was meant to be their drawback.

They still don't perform well against snipers that are being micro'd properly or that have a meat shield in front of them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3