Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Does 343 have something against this franchise?

OP PfenixFyre

I have only recently taken the dive into Halo Wars 2. I beat the first one on console a long time ago, but I've never been that good at RTS games so it didn't hold me too long. But recently wanting to immerse myself in more Halo lore, I've become really engaged by Halo Wars 2 and learning how to get at least "not horrible" at the game, and I've been having a lot of fun with it, and I've been suggesting it to my friends as well.

But I get this feeling that just as I'm coming in, 343 is kind of sweeping it under the rug? Not just with removing the service record from the Waypoint (Personally I'm not affected by this, but it seems like such a massive disservice- dismissal even-to the competitive communities built around this game), but even with the lore, where story points that seemed like they were going to (and could have easily) fit into Infinite's story, just... seemingly aren't?

I get that 343 needs to focus its attention on Infinite, and that MCC- also getting put on the backburner- will still even have a higher priority for service than HW2. But what I don't understand is why actions would be taken that actively take away from and/or dismiss a section of their franchise's community? Even strictly economically speaking: having a reminder that HW2 exists in the new Waypoint can at worst serve as a reminder that the game exists for newcomers, and incentivize folks to buy a game that 343 is barely putting any more money into anymore if at all- that's free money! So why does it feel like 343 is trying to slowly phase it out of existence?
343i just don't care
You are correct that 343 is focusing on Halo Infinite right now, and my feeling on the matter since I am a Halo universe fan is that once Infinite is released and things calm down some for 343 they will start spending time on other games such as fixing bugs in pervious games, porting them to Steam, and even creating more games such as HW3. But yes for the time being all efforts will be focused to Infinite, even MCC has seen some neglect due to needing those employees to work in Infinite. Give it till about midway through 2022 to see other Halo game announcements, in terms of updates and DLC and things of that nature. I am positive they will have their hands full creating new DLC and story as well as upgrading the MP in Infinite for the time being. Cheers
PfenixFyre wrote:
I have only recently taken the dive into Halo Wars 2. I beat the first one on console a long time ago, but I've never been that good at RTS games so it didn't hold me too long. But recently wanting to immerse myself in more Halo lore, I've become really engaged by Halo Wars 2 and learning how to get at least "not horrible" at the game, and I've been having a lot of fun with it, and I've been suggesting it to my friends as well.

But I get this feeling that just as I'm coming in, 343 is kind of sweeping it under the rug? Not just with removing the service record from the Waypoint (Personally I'm not affected by this, but it seems like such a massive disservice- dismissal even-to the competitive communities built around this game), but even with the lore, where story points that seemed like they were going to (and could have easily) fit into Infinite's story, just... seemingly aren't?

I get that 343 needs to focus its attention on Infinite, and that MCC- also getting put on the backburner- will still even have a higher priority for service than HW2. But what I don't understand is why actions would be taken that actively take away from and/or dismiss a section of their franchise's community? Even strictly economically speaking: having a reminder that HW2 exists in the new Waypoint can at worst serve as a reminder that the game exists for newcomers, and incentivize folks to buy a game that 343 is barely putting any more money into anymore if at all- that's free money! So why does it feel like 343 is trying to slowly phase it out of existence?
It's not really free money, they'd still have to pay for maintenance and server, etc. I'm not really sure on HW2's playerbase size, but I'd wager it's lower compared to the rest of the franchise due to the more niche genre. That said, there's also not a whole lot to tell people it exists
I meant "free money" based on the presumed premise that they're going to keep the servers up, basic maintenence, etc. If anything the fact that the game cost money to keep alive should be even more incentive to do the bare minimum towards keeping it relevant for new fans of the game franchise as a whole. The "free money" is the money they throw away by not doing so.

PfenixFyre wrote:

It's not really free money, they'd still have to pay for maintenance and server, etc. I'm not really sure on HW2's playerbase size, but I'd wager it's lower compared to the rest of the franchise due to the more niche genre. That said, there's also not a whole lot to tell people it exists
Probably? Wars 3 got cancelled, apparently leaving Wars 2 on a cliffhanger, or with unresolved storylines, and it is kind of a niche product to keep supporting. I don't see many general FPS players getting too deep into RTS games. That's why I waited so long to play Wars. It's also over four years old at this point? I think? Which is a decent run any way you look at it.
Really sad and frustrated that they're removing the Service Record. I get back on HW2 every once in a while for some 3v3 or Blitz or whatever and I enjoyed being able to track all that on the site. Seems pretty fishy that they won't just port it over, and a real disservice to the Wars community. Not asking for new HW2 content, just asking for support.
Anyway, they did say that the API is still active and the data will keep adding up. There's service record stuff that we can check in game. Maybe someone from the community will step in to write a web app that does Waypoint's job for them. Still kinda inconsiderate on their part.

As we weigh all of the potential website features against every active Halo title, we often have to make difficult trade-offs to prioritize areas that directly benefit the largest audiences in our community. As we focus on robust support for Halo Infinite, this unfortunately means that we won't be able to maintain Halo Wars 2 service records on the new website.

And that, folks, is how not to write an "apology" for removing a feature. They use vague terms, they say that Wars players aren't important enough for them to make the effort, and they won't give a real, definite reason why they want to remove the feature. Modern marketing at it's finest. Chances are the real reason is something uncomfortable, like "we didn't want to pay someone to maintain the game" et cetera.
rok9560 wrote:
Probably? Wars 3 got cancelled, apparently leaving Wars 2 on a cliffhanger, or with unresolved storylines, and it is kind of a niche product to keep supporting. I don't see many general FPS players getting too deep into RTS games. That's why I waited so long to play Wars. It's also over four years old at this point? I think? Which is a decent run any way you look at it.
Those Halo Wars 3 concepts of Spaceships battles are breathtaking, they can always comeback and take it from where stopped.
343 just care about Infinite and dont give a -Yoink- about Halo Wars fans even tho they are using the main enemy faction from HW2 in Infinite the Banished... Bro like come on I love the lore/gameplay of all halo games expect halo 5 lol