Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Double popcap and no rank penalty when playing 1v2

OP Raineeger

When playing 2v2 Or 3v3, when a player fails to connect/disconnects immediately, the game should give the remaining player double pop cap to make the game possible(or cancel the game without penalty)
Also, when playing 1 v 2 it should never trigger rank-loss since the game is practically unbeatable. E.g it happens to me quite allot and its frustrating when i loose almost an entire rank because of this. I gain 10-15% rank per victory but lose 50-80% per 1v2 game( it depends on opponents)
The rank part I dont agree because it would be exploited.

In wc3 when someone left u got their resources units and pop....that is how it should be, or give it to heroic AI. The absolute nothing of HW2 is rough....
I agree and disagree it can be exploited easily by people at the same time i also think it should be implemented.
If not loosing rank can be exploited - then make it 0 gain for the rank. No loss-no gain.
Or prompt the remaining 1 player if he wants to cancel the game.
Currently, without double pop-cap and extra resources, it is a waste of time to force the 1 remaining player to stay and play.
I am surprised this is not a thing already to be honest.

Even if you are playing with a friend, they can lose connection or the game could crash (happened many times in my experience).
If some noobs or people who know I'm going to beat them find me and instant resign they should not be rewarded for not even trying to win. This is incredibly easily exploitable. Sure are DCs BS yes but this does not stop the issue where most DCs happen: in the game and is incredibly easy to exploit. Everyone has to deal with DCs sure some turn to boosting but the few of us that play legit shouldn't be punished more then we already are.
The player who disconnects or resigns first, will lose rank as usual.( which means its a strategy he can't use for long )
Im talking about the 1 remaining player who starts the game alone( not in mid-game or after the first minute )
if you play 1 v 2, or even 1 v 3, then its obvious you lose.
In addition to a boring game that the player must wait to get through, he also gets a score penalty which just doesn't make any sense.
Keeping rank 0 for remaining players and reducing rank for the first disconnected player will keep the exploit chances low.
Remaining players have nothing to win...or lose and the guy who disconnected can only lose.
In a ideal world the player who DC/Quits before 2mins would be punished while giving the other 2or5 the option to quit within 1 min without any Punishment or gain this would be called a
"Grace Period" but the game would run as normal assuming no one wants to quit, whoever stick around after the 1 min timer will continue to play the game normally and will no longer receive another "Grace Period" if another player DCs/Leaves.

This is a standard format used in many Competitive Team Game's from Overwatch to LoL
And i honestly can't see anything wrong with it.

This in combination with separate Tactic Files
(and several other files) would alow the devs the ability to balance Team's separately from 1v1 and as a results Would actually make Team games respectfully competitive instead of the wild west of unbalance carnage.
In a ideal world the player who DC/Quits before 2mins would be punished while giving the other 2or5 the option to quit within 1 min without any Punishment or gain this would be called a
"Grace Period" but the game would run as normal assuming no one wants to quit, whoever stick around after the 1 min timer will continue to play the game normally and will no longer receive another "Grace Period" if another player DCs/Leaves.

This is a standard format used in many Competitive Team Game's from Overwatch to LoL

(and several other files) would alow the devs the ability to balance Team's separately from 1v1 and as a results Would actually make Team games respectfully competitive instead of the wild west of unbalance carnage.
Yup, grace period has worked well for other games.
In supreme commander FAF for example, games arent even ranked until they last more than 1-2 minutes.
And depending on game type, when a player disconnects, the remaining player takes over all their units + pop cap

You forget how effective boosting is in this game, this effectively allows me to get to number 1 champ without ever having to play anyone good, most methods currently there is a few percent risk in not being able to keep your spot at 100%, the ranking system is already a joke but let's try and avoid it going full on HW1 leader boards.

You forget how effective boosting is in this game, this effectively allows me to get to number 1 champ without ever having to play anyone good, most methods currently there is a few percent risk not being able to keep your spot at 100%, the ranking system is already a joke but let's try and avoid it going full on HW1 leader boards.
Regardless of rather or not someone Boost the system i describe above would greatly improve the QoL in matchmaking for both solo queue player's and player's who have someone DC relatively ealry,
A change like this will have next to Zero impact on how player's boost there rank because its designed to.

A fix for booster would require a whole separate list of changes,
Take this for example the ability to party up with some who hasn't even finished there placement matches, This allows a Champion to play with a "New" player drastically lowing the amout of MMR they can loss while drastically improving the amout they can gain, this is absolute blasphemy in every other competitive game and they restrict High Ranks like Champion to only other High Ranks or similar.

Your Logic: what's the point if the house is gone?
My Answers:How are you going to rebuild the house if its on fire?

You dismiss the idea not because its wrong but because a seprate issue is more prevalent?
Why not suggest a fix to your own problems instead of implying other's are wrong with an issue/Topic that doesn't effect you.

Just a thought.

You forget how effective boosting is in this game, this effectively allows me to get to number 1 champ without ever having to play anyone good, most methods currently there is a few percent risk not being able to keep your spot at 100%, the ranking system is already a joke but let's try and avoid it going full on HW1 leader boards.
Regardless of rather or not someone Boost the system i describe above would greatly improve the QoL in matchmaking for both solo queue player's and player's who have someone DC relatively ealry,
A change like this will have next to Zero impact on how player's boost there rank because its designed to.

A fix for booster would require a whole separate list of changes,
Take this for example the ability to party up with some who hasn't even finished there placement matches, This allows a Champion to play with a "New" player drastically lowing the amout of MMR they can loss while drastically improving the amout they can gain, this is absolute blasphemy in every other competitive game and they restrict High Ranks like Champion to only other High Ranks or similar.

Your Logic: what's the point if the house is gone?
My Answers:How are you going to rebuild the house if its on fire?

You dismiss the idea not because its wrong but because a seprate issue is more prevalent?
Why not suggest a fix to your own problems instead of implying other's are wrong with an issue/Topic that doesn't effect you.

Just a thought.
I and several others have suggested several fixes to boosting in the past, not looking at average mmr being number 1 above them, but of course it's hard to see past messages from how high that horse of yours is. My point is this means I could easily get someone for silver or bronze skill to champion number one. Right now you need to be at least plat or diamond level to get champ number 1 through boosting. This may be a nice quality of life but considering it completely ruins ranking from pretty bad to literally a joke. If the point of this QoL change is to make it so that the ranking is more representative then as of right now this does the opposite. This can be a consideration after they fix the much more impactfull issues in the games ranking system has right now.

I dismiss the idea because it makes the current problem worse, at least read my 3 line message before write this kind of response.

I and several others have suggested several fixes to boosting in the past, not looking at average mmr being number 1 above them, but of course it's hard to see past messages from how high that horse of yours is. My point is this means I could easily get someone for silver or bronze skill to champion number one. Right now you need to be at least plat or diamond level to get champ number 1 through boosting. This may be a nice quality of life but considering it completely ruins ranking from pretty bad to literally a joke. If the point of this QoL change is to make it so that the ranking is more representative then as of right now this does the opposite. This can be a consideration after they fix the much more impactfull issues in the games ranking system has right now.

I dismiss the idea because it makes the current problem worse, at least read my 3 line message before write this kind of response.
"I dismiss the idea because it makes the current problem worse"

How exactly does this make matchmaking worse,
Where in your quote have you explained this?

"Right now you need to be at least plat or diamond level to get champ number 1"
This is not true, atm you can boost any account to champion 1 becuse there are no restrictions in place to prevent champions from playing with a Non Rnaked account and vise versa, preventing Innocent player's from losing massive amouts of MMR/CSR because of 1 DC on a team/Rage quit doesn't make the situation worse or better for Booster because it doesn't fall in line with what is abused in order to boost, that is a separate issue that requires a whole separate list of changes like the example i showed you already.

"I and several others have suggested several fixes to boosting in the past"
Thats interesting because I've read through 10 pages worth of Post from you and the only thing you have mentioned related to Matchmaking, CSR, MMR, is complain about how bad it is and ask for TureSkill 2 but Have not suggested any ideas or specifics on how..

And without surprise another insults in an other wise clean conversation, its a shame really.

"but of course it's hard to see past messages from how high that horse of yours is"

if you're going to throw insults at least make sense about it, if i was on a high hourse wouldn't i be able to see More things, Not less things?
The system idea is trash, in OW you still receive SR lost (During this grace period with no ban penalty)
And the same would be for this, literally a smurf can just leave with no major penalties and the other guy won't lose because he came across top players across can continue boosting.
The system idea is trash, in OW you still receive SR lost (During this grace period with no ban penalty)
And the same would be for this, literally a smurf can just leave with no major penalties and the other guy won't lose because he came across top players across can continue boosting.
This system isn't to slove boosting and it wouldn't make boosting worse or better because there are no currant systems in place to prevent smurfs or smurf accounts from playing with High Rank Accounts Like a Main.

This kinda change can literally only bring a positive to matchmaking tho it would only effect a single group of players,
Those who play with
Someone who DC early this can also be good for team player's too but i predicted it being more useful to those who solo queue.

Given HW2 history with unstable servers i think this could relieve alot of frustration that comes with having a teammate DC ealry.
This system isn't to slove boosting and it wouldn't make boosting worse or better because there are no currant systems in place to prevent smurfs or smurf accounts from playing with High Rank Accounts Like a Main.

This kinda change can literally only bring a positive to matchmaking tho it would only effect a single group of players,
Those who play with
Someone who DC early this can also be good for team player's too but i predicted it being more useful to those who solo queue.

Given HW2 history with unstable servers i think this could relieve alot of frustration that comes with having a teammate DC ealry.
If you're on a smurf (you wont care about your rank) and your boosting a guys main and you find someone you know for certain that you can not win against and the guy you want boosted leaves last, he won't receive a SR penalty or ban penalty, effectively making boosting worse then what it already is.
If anything we need to set a high level cap (30 imo) for ranked playlists and you can't play with others in placements if they finished them already or people that are low enough. (Say you're Onyx 1700 and you wanna boost a guy that's Diamond 5, can't queue up with him because gap is to wide.)

Those who play with

If you're on a smurf (you wont care about your rank) and your boosting a guys main and you find someone you know for certain that you can not win against and the guy you want boosted leaves last, he won't receive a SR penalty or ban penalty, effectively making boosting worse then what it already is.
If anything we need to set a high level cap (30 imo) for ranked playlists and you can't play with others in placements if they finished them already or people that are low enough. (Say you're Onyx 1700 and you wanna boost a guy that's Diamond 5, can't queue up with him because gap is to wide.)
"If anything we need to set a high level cap (30 imo) for ranked playlists and you can't play with others in placements if they finished them already or people that are low enough. (Say you're Onyx 1700 and you wanna boost a guy that's Diamond 5, can't queue up with him because gap is to wide.)"

This is good and this what i explained to pieman as a separate issue, but if a separate system like this existed then it would also solve the
"Smurf Dodge First" because you would never be able to get such a low rank parted up with you.

ATM a champion boosting will only lose 2%, 2% is > Nothing but the difference is miniscule and a change like this would have almost no negative impact in the current format.
Im not exactly sure how this would make boosting worse.

As I suggested above, you can make it a 0 loss/gain when a player disconnects during the grace period.
What does the boosted player have to gain then?

Team 1: Champ + unranked(boosted)
Team 2: Random1 + Random2

Champ disconnects during the grace period, leaving boosted guy with no possibility to lose/gain rank.
Also, if this "disconnect" strategy became a regular thing, then the player could be banned for too many DC's and the problem would solve itself.

The current matchmaking and DC penalty just isn't working.

And...lastly, so what if someone gets boosted. Fine, let those -Yoinks!- be boosted.
Boosting is way less of a problem than smurfing. If a boosted player with no skills ends up in champ rank, then - on their own -
they will start loosing and quickly fall back into their appropriate category once boosting stops.
Stomping on boosted champs would be fun for the opponents + they would gain rank for the pub-stomp.
Playing against smurfs is a frustrating waste of time, playing against boosted noobs is fun.

I know this because I borrow my CS:GO account to friends who play in global rank. They inevitably "boost" me up and when I start playing ... I drop the rank back down into Nova :D because the system can detect a sudden change in gameplay.
Raineeger wrote:
And...lastly, so what if someone gets boosted. Fine, let those -Yoinks!- be boosted.
Boosting is way less of a problem than smurfing. If a boosted player with no skills ends up in champ rank, then - on their own -
they will start loosing and quickly fall back into their appropriate category once boosting stops.
Stomping on boosted champs would be fun for the opponents + they would gain rank for the pub-stomp.
Playing against smurfs is a frustrating waste of time, playing against boosted noobs is fun.
The issue is it isn't lesser skilled players that are being boosted, it's champions with their smurfs getting boosted by a friend so that they can own 5 of the top 20 spots.

Boosting is a huge problem in HW2, and if the point of your proposal is to help improve the ranked experience for team players you can't ignore the ability for it to be abused by boosters.