Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Elite ranger can't compete with snipers IMO

OP Sir Nade

Snipers, especially when upgraded just Do so much nore than elite rangers. They literally one or two shot infantry and when upgraded they can stun AND they dnt miss... Rangers hit way weaker and don't have any upgrades to increase their damage or utility. Big HW fan but getting annoyed to obvious imbalances. HW1 wasn't THIS bad as I can remember. But damn 343 please get some help from high level players maybe ensemble from the first game something lol tired of the game I love being so bad. It's gotten a lot bettert tho but still bad lol
I have lost to snipers too. Losing sucks, but there is an answer for this one. Stop building infantry the second you see a sniper. Tech swap immediately. Switch to Choppers (if playing Banished), make snipers yourself, or go on the defensive (build anti-infantry turrets while you get Tech 2, then counter with some Warthogs/Locusts or Hornets/Banshees)
Yeah I was saying give the elites fuel rods for splash damage to keep them diverse if that's what 343 is looking for.
Maybe they have future plans to add the extra upgrades to keep the players interested?
I have lost to snipers too. Losing sucks, but there is an answer for this one. Stop building infantry the second you see a sniper. Tech swap immediately. Switch to Choppers (if playing Banished), make snipers yourself, or go on the defensive (build anti-infantry turrets while you get Tech 2, then counter with some Warthogs/Locusts or Hornets/Banshees)
Tried that then they just switch right to anti vehicles from same building lol... In a fight snipers are just way more useful than elites are I believe way more range also. They are a tech 1 unit yet they outclass rangers every part of game lol in a fight
Snipers cant even attack air, can they?
Not even saying need snipers or they're broken in saying give rangers upgrades also o increase dmg or utility... Hell snipers has upgrades that do both lol
Sir Nade wrote:
Tried that then they just switch right to anti vehicles from same building lol... In a fight snipers are just way more useful than elites are I believe way more range also. They are a tech 1 unit yet they outclass rangers every part of game lol in a fight
That is why I prefer going to the air when they try to counter with cyclops. It works for a couple minutes until they switch to garages. Truthfully, Colony is really strong against snipers. Skitterers work wonders
Snipers cant even attack air, can they?
I honestly rather that than the less damage that elites do. One or two shotting infantry and/or stunning them is so much more valuable. And since they only hit infantry you don't have to micro their attacks lol. They just plow infantry
Sir Nade wrote:
That is why I prefer going to the air when they try to counter with cyclops. It works for a couple minutes until they switch to garages. Truthfully, Colony is really strong against snipers. Skitterers work wonders
True jut want some upgrades for my rangers man lmao
Personally I wouldn't be opposed to a T3 upgrade that added utility. But not before then. Snipers only out perform Rangers when they're fully upgraded
Personally I wouldn't be opposed to a T3 upgrade that added utility. But not before then. Snipers only out perform Rangers when they're fully upgraded
Honestly this and I wish Rangers could only attack infantry lol that's makes micro so much easier that's only thing I want them hitting TBH maybe a damage upgrade too plus a shield upgrade? Idk
Sir Nade wrote:
Snipers, especially when upgraded just Do so much nore than elite rangers. They literally one or two shot infantry and when upgraded they can stun AND they dnt miss... Rangers hit way weaker and don't have any upgrades to increase their damage or utility. Big HW fan but getting annoyed to obvious imbalances. HW1 wasn't THIS bad as I can remember. But damn 343 please get some help from high level players maybe ensemble from the first game something lol tired of the game I love being so bad. It's gotten a lot bettert tho but still bad lol
You must have pretty bad memory. As bad as you think the Ranger vs Sniper match up is, the flamethrowers in HW1 had no chance against beam rifle jackals.

I've been a banished player since the beginning and I can tell you that rangers with a proper army comp will obliterate snipers because of one thing the banished have that the UNSC don't: THE SHROUD. They zap sniper rounds out of the air, so building 1-3 can render enemy snipers defenseless. You should never build an army of pure rangers without support units, if you're banished building infantry you should always have a few shrouds and engineers up and plenty of grunts to act as canon fodder. An army of grunts supported by hunters and rangers, covered by a few shrouds and healed by engineers would wreck the combo you described. It is easy to counter snipers mid to late game with shrouded rangers or locusts/wraiths, and countering them early game is as easy as building a few scouts. Rangers, like snipers, are a specialized support unit and need to be part of a varied army. They aren't an effective spam unit.
Just build like two shrouds and snipers are pretty useless since they can't hit you or kill the shroud.
This is true. However, the sniper can't attack any unit type outside of infantry, so one tank can wash a group of snipers. The sniper is very specialized, and only functions with good positioning and from a range. The Ranger is a skirmisher meant to be in the middle of a fight. I think the ranger needs a buff for certain, but it shouldn't quite be on equal footing with the sniper.
This is true. However, the sniper can't attack any unit type outside of infantry, so one tank can wash a group of snipers. The sniper is very specialized, and only functions with good positioning and from a range. The Ranger is a skirmisher meant to be in the middle of a fight. I think the ranger needs a buff for certain, but it shouldn't quite be on equal footing with the sniper.
one tank can also kill a group of ramgers lets be serious lmao. i would much rather my anti infantry be the best at doing its job and thats it than to only be decent at doing its job and crap at other things it can do. id take sniper as a banished player on my squad than rangers rofl... i rather them ony attack infantry because that is lterally their sole purpose. them attacking anything isnt really a worthy perk they do crap dmg to anything else and they are beyond squishy like its not even close tbh rofl
They're not supposed to "compete" with snipers.
Fine the way it is
Elite Rangers are only 3 unit space.
Snipers are 4
In theory, they are suppose to be 75% as strong as snipers and they are in theory of equal cost etc.
Elite rangers are very good!!
Sir Nade wrote:
I agree with your central point here, elite rangers need to be buffed in some way. But let's not forget, in Halo Wars 1 it was very possible for an army of grizzlies to destroy an army of hunters. People tend to look at the first game with rose tinted glasses but I think Halo Wars has improved leaps and bounds since then
elite rangers are fine
snipers are fine

i would not be oposed to a utility upgrade such as a small shield or some sort of reflect chance for rangers. they should have 2 upgrades 1 utility 1 dmg just like snipers.

shroud dump on snipers, shroud dump on artiliry, shround dump on ever single projectile. includes tank shells so next time make sure you have a few shrouds engineers.
Yeah I was saying give the elites fuel rods for splash damage to keep them diverse if that's what 343 is looking for.
Maybe they have future plans to add the extra upgrades to keep the players interested?
Would be the most stupid way...