Feedback - Ranked Seasons

OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14
hey folks - As you know, we're nearing the end of the first season of ranked play in Halo Wars 2 (just waiting on that Colony DLC to drop!).

The current plan of record is to kick off a new season with the release of each new leader since this new content shakes things up and will surely always include some amount of broader balance tweaks in parallel. This makes sense in theory.

When a future DLC runs into delays, it starts to cause some challenges as the season lingers on indefinitely. Likewise, if a DLC is delayed but the following one isn't, we could have a situation where a season may only last 2 to 3 weeks. That doesn't seem too ideal.

I'd love to hear you what you all think -
  1. Do you prefer to have season rollovers remain tied to DLC releases? (even if it means inconsistent / unpredictable durations)
  2. Or, would you rather just have seasons tied solely to a calendar cadence (similar to Halo 5), even though you'd have balance changes and new leader drops coming in the middle of an active season?
Bonus question: In your opinion, what's the ideal season length (regardless of the DLC/balance component)

I've also gathered some feedback and have passed to the team regarding the number of placement matches required for a season. I've heard from quite a few folks who think it should be less than 10 games if a season is barely a month long.

As the design team evaluates and reviews the season structure going forward I'd love to help round up your thoughts and feedback for their consideration. Thanks!
IMO the best format is having a season last for 1 year but with 4 splits in the season coinciding with the changes of season.
- EDIT - Eg, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter splits.
There should also be some kind of reward for people who place high in season splits and at the end of a full season.

For me, 4 weeks is far too short for a season. With most MMR/ELO based games it will usually take around 50 games for a players MMR/ELO to become representative of their skill level. 4 weeks is too short to expect the average player to play 150 games (3 ranked playlists).

- Reidy
  1. Yes.
  2. No.
Bonus: 1 month

For Halo Wars 2 Blitz on PC, I would really like to see 1v1 and 2v2 on the playlist instead of 2v2 and 3v3. Surely 343 has data to show that on PC Blitz 1v1 was more popular than Blitz 3v3? If the reverse is true, with low player population on PC, 1v1 makes much more sense than 3v3.
I like the second option
I think the seasons should be released independently from the DLC leaders- but that does bring the problems of meta strategies being viable for the first half and people gaining unfair wins, but I think the inconsistent seasons problem might outweigh the meta problem, especially if we get longer seasons. I personally think maybe three months for a season would be good? That way you'd get through a few of the leaders, and the meta wouldn't always be the same.
I'd like to see a surrender option so when a teammate quits my rank and my other teammates rank doesn't get affected because we lost in a 2v3. I say give the other team 100 XP each only when we both select the surrender option because we surrendered you guys didn't do anything but it still gives them something.
1. No. Disengage seasons from DLC releases.

2. Yes. Every two months and, ideally, have both H5 and HW2 reset at same time.

Bonus: Two months.

Placements: Five games.
  1. No, I do not believe the seasons should be tied to the DLC because at some point the DLC will stop.
  2. Yes, because we should just get into a regular cadence now so everyone knows exactly when a season ends and begins
  • Bonus: Because games can take much longer to complete than Halo 5 games, I think each season should last longer. 2 months would be my suggestion.
Keeping the games at 10 placements games a season works as long as the season is a longer than 4 weeks. Otherwise a smaller amount of placement games would be desirable.
1. Yes
2. No
Bonus: It's good until dlc is done. Then maybe 2 months max.

New DLC, new season makes sense to me. As much as I play that's actually a long time to be playing for one season. While others might disagree, it gets people to get on and play, playing a couple games means that you only play a couple games (it's still gonna give you the placement you deserve). One whole month is about right, though I would prioritize over new dlc.

My question is, is there an incentive to completing a season as champion/onyx (other than personal glory)? What I mean by that, is it going to show in any leader boards/profile/matchmaking screen what you got from previous seasons? Or is it gonna be bragging rights that you can't really show to your buddy? Lol

Just curious, THANKS :)
The current system where the season ends when drastic changes are added makes the most sense. 4-6 weeks is plenty of time for hard core players, seems adequate depending on what happens to our rank once it's over.

Seasons should change with the addition of new leaders, but eventually there will be no more leaders so 4-6 weeks seems good.
I'm fine with balance changes dropping in the middle of the season. I mean they are meant to provide quality of life. Let's say for example that Colony released on time (I know I know, beating a dead horse.) but you guys didn't catch the skitterer bug and released it into the wild. Would you really have us deal with that for 4 weeks until the season ended?

As of right now, I'm pretty much avoiding ranked play for that very reason. The current meta is not enjoyable at all.
  1. No, I do not believe the seasons should be tied to the DLC because at some point the DLC will stop.
  2. Yes, because we should just get into a regular cadence now so everyone knows exactly when a season ends and begins
  • Bonus: Because games can take much longer to complete than Halo 5 games, I think each season should last longer. 2 months would be my suggestion.
Keeping the games at 10 placements games a season works as long as the season is a longer than 4 weeks. Otherwise a smaller amount of placement games would be desirable.
I never played halo 5, what happened to rank after the season? Did you have to do more placement matches once a new season started?
I think the seasons and dlc should be separate.
I think a 2 month or 3 month cycle would also be fine if every playlist had a non ranked version which i think you guys said youd do that.

as for shorter placement matches, maybe 8, i think cutting it in half to 5 is too little
Not tied to dlc. 3 month seasons. Also I think in team match making there should not be party teams / all random. Or have a party team list. 10 placement matches was good for me, but people who play less it was probably too many.🎮
Regardless of season length I would like to see more frequent balance tweaks. Many players, including myself and smoothedtube900, have just been waiting for a patch for the past week or two.

And I would also like to see the size of champion league reduced to the top 20 players.
I never played halo 5, what happened to rank after the season? Did you have to do more placement matches once a new season started?
Yes, each season everything resets and you have to do all the placement matches again. It gives everyone a fresh start.
I think you should keep the season releasing with the leader. It brings more to look forward to that leader and it would cause problems being released in the middle of a season. However, I do think te count of matches should be remedied to maybe 5 so if a season is only 2 weeks it won't be difficult to find time to qualify in all ranked playlist. Also please reward those who qualify. Perhaps a blitz pack for every one you qualify in and if you qualify in all you also get a maybe a blitz pack with guaranteed legendary card.
Personally I would like 2-3 month long seasons, not tied to DLC drops. That gives you time to adapt to new balance changes that could happen at the beginning of the season or changes that happen in the middle of it. The idea of changing the season every time DLC drops is a good one, but with us getting new DLC every month the season is just too short.

That said I would like it if there were only 5-7 placement matches. Ten matches if it is your first season, but I don't want to grind through 10 whole games just to be able to start climbing the ladder again.
10 games is way too much for an rts game considering that each game can potentially last more than 20 minutes but 5 also is too short in my opinion which might lead to people getting misranked. A middle ground like 7 games should be a good amount. And if it's not too much trouble can their be a way for players to see the real ranks of the people they're going against. The current information we see isn't really giving us too much information.
And I would also like to see the size of champion league reduced to the top 20 players.
That would be horrible. The Champ league would be monopolized by players who have alternate accounts and boost to get into champ. The way it is now is fine.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 14