OP ske7ch

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12
Another thing that would be nice regardless of season length and timing would be the option to resign without extra penalty (meaning it counts the same as a normal loss) at least after the first few minutes. I get that you want penalize quitters in normal halo games but in an RTS there are many instances when both players know when a game is over. Right now the only way to avoid needlessly dragging these games out is to self destruct bases and then sometimes spend a whole awkward minute staring at/hunting down some stray unit in a garrison.
And I would also like to see the size of champion league reduced to the top 20 players.
That would be horrible. The Champ league would be monopolized by players who have alternate accounts and boost to get into champ. The way it is now is fine.
200 is fine. They are nerfing jackrabbit & locusts, I think leaderboards will change. Top players cheaply spam units... dodge& boost!
I'd love to see a system close to the one Killer Instinct had. This game has monthly ladders with the top 32 players receiving a gold medal (or star), so everybody could see that they mean serious business.
On top of that, those 32 players were invited into an online tournament at the end of the month. By taking part in these tournaments they could earn points to qualify for the KI World Cup which takes part every year.

I loved watching those tournament and I would love to watch monthly HW2 tournaments, too. But that would require that you FINALLY add an observer and replay mode to the game.
Before you care about details such as season length you should fix the ranking system in the first place. Biggest issue is that resigning / disconnecting seems to make you lose double amount of CSR rank (compared to defeat by losing all bases) but apparently no MMR rank. This has very negative consequences:

* Matches are prolonged because people sell their bases and wait out the 1 minute countdown instead of just resigning.

* Double frustration/punishment when having a disconnect (which is still quite frequent on Windows).

* Players who do not know about this or resign anyway are punished in their CSR ranking, but retain their MMR rank, leading to massive gaps between CSR and MMR (just take a look at the ladder!). Their true skill is represented by neither rank.
ske7ch wrote:
hey folks - As you know, we're nearing the end of the first season of ranked play in Halo Wars 2 (just waiting on that Colony DLC to drop!).

The current plan of record is to kick off a new season with the release of each new leader since this new content shakes things up and will surely always include some amount of broader balance tweaks in parallel. This makes sense in theory.

When a future DLC runs into delays, it starts to cause some challenges as the season lingers on indefinitely. Likewise, if a DLC is delayed but the following one isn't, we could have a situation where a season may only last 2 to 3 weeks. That doesn't seem too ideal.

I'd love to hear you what you all think -
  1. Do you prefer to have season rollovers remain tied to DLC releases? (even if it means inconsistent / unpredictable durations)
  2. Or, would you rather just have seasons tied solely to a calendar cadence (similar to Halo 5), even though you'd have balance changes and new leader drops coming in the middle of an active season?
Bonus question: In your opinion, what's the ideal season length (regardless of the DLC/balance component)

I've also gathered some feedback and have passed to the team regarding the number of placement matches required for a season. I've heard from quite a few folks who think it should be less than 10 games if a season is barely a month long.

As the design team evaluates and reviews the season structure going forward I'd love to help round up your thoughts and feedback for their consideration. Thanks!
I am currently a triple champion in team deathmatch with a 77% win percentage 450+ games, and I just got my third champion in 2s yesterday. That being said, seasons should be about 6-8 weeks long, just because it takes so long to rank up from a diamond placement to top champion.
I feel like placement matches should be played against people also in placement matches. Me and my buddy just spent our first night playing the game and we were getting matched with rank 20-40+ people and we had never played a game before that night. Looking back at the game history now I can see those people also vastly outranked us, I don't think we should have been getting matched with them. Didn't make for a real fun time getting rushed over and over without any real chance at figuring out how the game worked.

Edit: Upon further review of those games, with the exception of one game that we won out of six, the guys we played against had between 130-350+ games under their belts. This was our first games. The one match we won the other guys were in placement matches as well and had 20-50 games played.
It would be better, if players get matched with ther players in their division instead of fighting as a silver player against an onyx...

But The period of 1-2 months per season is good ^^
One month is enough for 1v1. But not for the rest of the playlists, I've had 9-1 sessions on 2v2 to go up just 20 onyx points, don't know how there's even champions on 2's.

I'd like seasons to be around 2 months maybe.
I personally think 10 placement games is fine. Any less and it might mess up true skill. You could have 5 games where you do better than normal and get put in a rank where you're not quite as good. 10 seems perfect to me because it seems like that's the best way to judge someone's skill. I think ranked seasons should be 2 months long. Maybe 3. Making them too short means not as many people can climb as much as others because they may have work or something might come up and if it's only a month long season it could destroy your rank
Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter seasons. Radical idea huh?
I believe option 2 is would be preferred simply because it is a set period.

I would also like to see the seasons last a full 2 calendar months as 4-5 weeks is rather short. It would be equally cool if the seasons matched up with H5.

I also think placement matches should be 5/6 games and not 10, especially if seasons are so short.
I think season start with DLC is okay, but Season 2 may be cut short because Colony is so late now. I think a better option would be for a season to last two months. 10 placement matches I think is fine. Just bring back 1v1 blitz, preferably ranked, please!
4 weeks is too short for a season, personally think 4 seasons a year running through spring summer autumn and winter would be better

also would be better if you could have some kind of reward based on what level you get
ske7ch wrote:
hey folks - As you know, we're nearing the end of the first season of ranked play in Halo Wars 2 (just waiting on that Colony DLC to drop!).

The current plan of record is to kick off a new season with the release of each new leader since this new content shakes things up and will surely always include some amount of broader balance tweaks in parallel. This makes sense in theory.

When a future DLC runs into delays, it starts to cause some challenges as the season lingers on indefinitely. Likewise, if a DLC is delayed but the following one isn't, we could have a situation where a season may only last 2 to 3 weeks. That doesn't seem too ideal.

I'd love to hear you what you all think -
  1. Do you prefer to have season rollovers remain tied to DLC releases? (even if it means inconsistent / unpredictable durations)
  2. Or, would you rather just have seasons tied solely to a calendar cadence (similar to Halo 5), even though you'd have balance changes and new leader drops coming in the middle of an active season?
Bonus question: In your opinion, what's the ideal season length (regardless of the DLC/balance component)

I've also gathered some feedback and have passed to the team regarding the number of placement matches required for a season. I've heard from quite a few folks who think it should be less than 10 games if a season is barely a month long.

As the design team evaluates and reviews the season structure going forward I'd love to help round up your thoughts and feedback for their consideration. Thanks!
I'd like seasons all 2 or 3 months, that will be perfect. Every beginning of the 3rd or 2nd month, that would be cool.

Thanks
4-6 week seasons should be enough. I'm not upset about balance changes happening in the middle of seasons.

5-7 games should be enough to qualify.

Reward the different tiers with blitz packs and gamer pics for top qualifications!
1) YES
2)NO

3: 30/37 Days.
I think the ladder season should be independent from DLC and balance releases. Also, I think ladders should last 2-3 months.
The 1st of each month should kick off a new season. A simple date that everyone can understand. That way you know you got from the 1st to end of the month, then it resets.

My question is, what's the reward for a season? I mean, if I finish as an Onyx rank, what's the point really? Every month or quarter, whenever you reset it, basically just puts everyone back to square 1. What's the incentive?
No DLC attached to seasons. It's already not working correctly. Btw didn't anyone think of this problem before you made the season options to begin with? You're going to lose players everyday the meta stays the same with no prizes to dangle above us to keep playing. Also can we have another blitz map? That would be great.
Happy to provide some feedback.

Seasons should stick to the release of new content. Even if content release dates get changed, I would rather it matches up with people having to adjust to the new leader and balance changes.

Ideal season length depends. If it coincides with new leaders, I would like it to be once a month or month and a half. It's nice to get a refresh so often, and I feel it will help bring in new players.

After all leaders are released, a season should last 2 months. Any longer than that and I think people will lose interest.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for all your hard work!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 12