Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Fighting Retreat. Tips?

OP Echo Poptart

Anyone got any tips for fighting Retreat in the new expansion. Tried 3 times on legendary and always end up getting overrun. Tips would be appreciated
Finally beat it.... just waves and waves of wraiths took care of it
Thanks for the tip. I was trying for a bit using other units but they all die to easily and cannot be healed in time. First time using only Wraiths and I finished it on Legendary.

The only issue you have now is to keep Pavium alive, which should sound easy but he does not listen to commands unless you repeatedly smash X or you select him individually. So many times I "All Units" and he stays where he is and gets mobbed and dies.

Shields are essentially worthless as there is consistent waves of Flood that attack the base stopping it from coming back up. You should only need one. Turrets are better.

Also good to have 7 or 8 engineers as you can split them to heal the base, Pavium and your Wraiths. Also good for healing the Blisterbacks. They don't really die unless against Choppers.
H4RR0 wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I was trying for a bit using other units but they all die to easily and cannot be healed in time. First time using only Wraiths and I finished it on Legendary.

The only issue you have now is to keep Pavium alive, which should sound easy but he does not listen to commands unless you repeatedly smash X or you select him individually. So many times I "All Units" and he says where he is and gets mobbed and dies.

Shields are essentially worthless as there is consistent waves of Flood that attack the base stopping it from coming back up. You should only need one. Turrets are better.

Also good to have 7 or 8 engineers as you can split them to heal the base, Pavium and your Wraiths. Also good for healing the Blisterbacks. They don't really die unless against Choppers.
Suicide Grunts work wonders against infection forms
I've only played it on heroic(Don't have the balls to try legendary yet) but what I did was mass hunters and rangers, and put one hunter squad and one elite squad with each blister back group along with ultra mines. No idea if this helps for legendary but this is what I did for heroic so maybe it can translate to legendary.
key is engineers. Lots!! Had 4 with pavius for the big fight
I swear every time i get to the end where you have to retreat it counts down to zero and pavium dies? What do i do?
How the hell is this level possible on legendary. Nothing counters the flood, everything needs buffing badly. Mass wraiths don't work nor does hunters and rangers. The turrets in this game are pathetic. Is there any way to do this legit as im tempted to get a refund on this crap. I cannot do this stupid level.
On my legendary run through I eventually came to the strategy of having Pavium stay on the back hill behind the base with the blister backs and send a few engineers up there. Additionally, I'd recommend building up the two barricades in the back and the two turret plots next to them with anti vehicle upgrades. Then spawn in as many hunters, wraiths, and marauders into the fray and try to position them at each garrison and barricade and use burnout as much as you can. On my play through I made it out with only Pavium alive and my base destroyed at the point where you have to retreat at the end but I made it through by the skin of my teeth but it was the only way I could make it through the mission so if anyone is stuck that's what I'd try.
xenomorphs wrote:
How the hell is this level possible on legendary. Nothing counters the flood, everything needs buffing badly. Mass wraiths don't work nor does hunters and rangers. The turrets in this game are pathetic. Is there any way to do this legit as im tempted to get a refund on this crap. I cannot do this stupid level.
8 Engineers, the rest Wraiths. Did it real easy on Legendary doing that. Make sure you fully upgrade your vehicles, air and Wraiths.
I found hot keying select groups. Example Pavium and 3 engineers would be group 1. Then I would have a group of 4 wraiths and 3 engineers as group 2.... etc etc... That way you can respond to key locations but always have healing units.

Burnout is key from the start of the game cause you are going to want those resources at the end. Keep spawning units, engineers, rebuilding turrets and dropping powers.

It took me 3 tries to beat it on Legendary.
Your real problem is the vulture swarms, the only way you can beat them is with lots of anti air units
I am so frustrated with this mission on legendary, I've tried the wraith and engineers and putting Pavium far away, but Pavium miraculously ends up dying anyways and then the game ends. Also, whoever made this mission should've really modified it, it's literally like 70,000 enemies just spawning like every 2 seconds somehow (lore wise, flood need biomass and I'm pretty sure they don't have that much), like 6 giant tentacles that easily destroy my buildings, and somehow the flood got an unlimited supply of vehicles from somewhere.
I am so frustrated with this mission on legendary, I've tried the wraith and engineers and putting Pavium far away, but Pavium miraculously ends up dying anyways and then the game ends. Also, whoever made this mission should've really modified it, it's literally like 70,000 enemies just spawning like every 2 seconds somehow (lore wise, flood need biomass and I'm pretty sure they don't have that much), like 6 giant tentacles that easily destroy my buildings, and somehow the flood got an unlimited supply of vehicles from somewhere.
Careful, you just have revived a needless thread, especially ones that are nearly a year old.
Careful, you just have revived a needless thread, especially ones that are nearly a year old.
Maybe he still needs help?
I cant seem to build wraiths on fighting retreat on legendary. Why?

Nm I got it