Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Flood ideas brainstorm

OP Dr Element

We may not see the flood during this beta even if it's in the works. I think the game would benefit from another faction massively and people have been requesting flood for a long time so there is a chance. Now we've seen how the games planning out, it might be worth brain storming ideas for CA and 343.

How would you like them to play? What leader? What leader powers? What would the bases look like?

Gravemind would be an obvious leader. Organic body parts as buildings. Farms/nests for resources. Tentacle turrets and infantry converting spores. I think I'd like them to be the choice for turtling strategies, gradually spreading their disease around the map.

Perhaps a common covenant faction could also be implemented. Different from the banished, with their traditional purple buildings and impressive tech.
I think the problem with the flood is that in the games after they kill something they then possess it, if you could take over all your enemies units or even just infantry after you killed them that would be really op, they would have to be very weak indvidually but outnumber the banished and unsc
I think the problem with the flood is that in the games after they kill something they then possess it, if you could take over all your enemies units or even just infantry after you killed them that would be really op, they would have to be very weak indvidually but outnumber the banished and unsc
Yeah spores would need to be weak. Or have the number of spores limited like the Spartans in Wars 1. Or have one leader unit that deals with infantry take overs, some kind of carrier form perhaps. Lots of work arounds...
There leader would be the gravemind.
For the infantry I would use the basic combat form, the stalker for a stealth unit, the elite or brute for infantry killer and a juggernaught type form for the anti vehicle.
Vehicles would be organic forms just larger or as in Halo 2 the flood did drive vehicles and use weapons they are capable of using them, but a heavy flood unit that shoots artillery like acid, a behemoth type flood which would be their tank, and a heavy flood that focuses on anti air.
For the air units you could use the bird type flood from HW1 as a support air that heals or attaches to units and increases their damage, they could create larger flying flood which is possible as the gain new forms by assimilating more mass.
Super units would be the easiest as there is a flood Spartan variant they used to train Spartans in case it did happen.
I would also add the flood pods but with low health and spawns the infectors on death but 3 out of 5 have to make contact to take over an infantry unit.
Resources would work the same as everyone else but with different models of course.
Here is a paste from an older pre beta thread I made:

Here is a quick overview of my vision of how the Flood could make an appearance in Halo Wars 2 multiplayer as a faction. This list is meant to be combined with my previous Halo Wars game mechanic wishlists but does not rely on them.

Flood Faction:

Infantry can transform between different forms based on the needs of the player.
each form type has its own upgrades.

many flood units produce flood spores that can infect enemy infantry and turn them into combat forms that have melee attacks. If combat forms are not killed they mutate into carrier forms (exploders) that explode near enemy units dealing damage and producing spores. if a carrier form is not activated/destroyed after a duration, it dissolves into spores. the whole process from infection to dissolution takes 40 seconds (20 second combat form 20 second carrier form) flood spores can also be built as a suicide squad consisting of 12 spores and upgrades for this squad affect all infection forms.

Flood "Vehicles" are large pureforms, most of which spawn infection form spores. The largest Flood Ground unit is the Wormform, a large immobile tentacle that deals high damage to any enemy nearby, it can relocate by burrowing but it is vulnerable for a short time after emerging. The Juggernaught is the flood answer to vehicles but needs to get in close to deal damage and relies on other units to absorb damage for it. The Flood Corpser is a mobile anti air/artillery unit.

Flood Air units are weak and rely on numbers to compete, The largest Air form is the abductor which can snare and hold enemy air units that stray too close.

Flood abilities rely on synergies for effect and are heavily based on infecting enemy infantry. While traditionally strong against light infantry, the flood faction is no slouch against vehicle heavy tactics and can adapt its swarm strategies to fight any foe. Flood units are generally weaker than their covenant and UNSC counterparts but make up for the lack of strength in raw numbers. This is achieved by lower unit cost and faster unit production.

Infantry:
Infection Form (flood spore): suicide anti infantry flood, infects enemy infantry into combat forms and eventually carrier forms which create more spores.
Stalker Pureform: mobile, stealthed, melee anti infantry damage, transforms into tank or ranged form
Ranged Pureform: immobile, ranged suppression anti infantry, armor mode, tansforms into stalker or tank form
Tank Pureform: armored, regeneration, melee anti armor attack, lower mobility, transforms into stalker or ranged form

Vehicles:
Infector Pureform: spawns infection forms to attack, regenerates
Juggernaught Pureform: Mobile anti armor low range, regenerates
Corpser Pureform: armored mobile anti air artillery unit launches acid that deals damage over time reducing armor
Worm Pureform: Large burrowing tentacle, emerges dealing high damage, deals high melee damage

Air:
Flood Swarm: suicide anti air flood
Scourge Pureform: flying low health ranged forms
Bomber Pureform: slow spore spawning armored flyer
Abductor Pureform: large tentacled floater with ground and air melee attacks

Abilities:
Flood Rain: spawn infection forms at the target area
Rapid Mitosis: all infected infantry in the area immediately burst into infection forms
Beneath the Grounds: spawn some flood tentacles at target area
For the Gravemind: all flood units in the area move significantly faster and regenerate health for a short duration
FouquetFly wrote:
Here is a paste from an older pre beta thread I made:

Here is a quick overview of my vision of how the Flood could make an appearance in Halo Wars 2 multiplayer as a faction. This list is meant to be combined with my previous Halo Wars game mechanic wishlists but does not rely on them.

Flood Faction:

Infantry can transform between different forms based on the needs of the player.
each form type has its own upgrades.

many flood units produce flood spores that can infect enemy infantry and turn them into combat forms that have melee attacks. If combat forms are not killed they mutate into carrier forms (exploders) that explode near enemy units dealing damage and producing spores. if a carrier form is not activated/destroyed after a duration, it dissolves into spores. the whole process from infection to dissolution takes 40 seconds (20 second combat form 20 second carrier form) flood spores can also be built as a suicide squad consisting of 12 spores and upgrades for this squad affect all infection forms.

Flood "Vehicles" are large pureforms, most of which spawn infection form spores. The largest Flood Ground unit is the Wormform, a large immobile tentacle that deals high damage to any enemy nearby, it can relocate by burrowing but it is vulnerable for a short time after emerging. The Juggernaught is the flood answer to vehicles but needs to get in close to deal damage and relies on other units to absorb damage for it. The Flood Corpser is a mobile anti air/artillery unit.

Flood Air units are weak and rely on numbers to compete, The largest Air form is the abductor which can snare and hold enemy air units that stray too close.

Flood abilities rely on synergies for effect and are heavily based on infecting enemy infantry. While traditionally strong against light infantry, the flood faction is no slouch against vehicle heavy tactics and can adapt its swarm strategies to fight any foe. Flood units are generally weaker than their covenant and UNSC counterparts but make up for the lack of strength in raw numbers. This is achieved by lower unit cost and faster unit production.

Infantry:
Infection Form (flood spore): suicide anti infantry flood, infects enemy infantry into combat forms and eventually carrier forms which create more spores.
Stalker Pureform: mobile, stealthed, melee anti infantry damage, transforms into tank or ranged form
Ranged Pureform: immobile, ranged suppression anti infantry, armor mode, tansforms into stalker or tank form
Tank Pureform: armored, regeneration, melee anti armor attack, lower mobility, transforms into stalker or ranged form

Vehicles:
Infector Pureform: spawns infection forms to attack, regenerates
Juggernaught Pureform: Mobile anti armor low range, regenerates
Corpser Pureform: armored mobile anti air artillery unit launches acid that deals damage over time reducing armor
Worm Pureform: Large burrowing tentacle, emerges dealing high damage, deals high melee damage

Air:
Flood Swarm: suicide anti air flood
Scourge Pureform: flying low health ranged forms
Bomber Pureform: slow spore spawning armored flyer
Abductor Pureform: large tentacled floater with ground and air melee attacks

Abilities:
Flood Rain: spawn infection forms at the target area
Rapid Mitosis: all infected infantry in the area immediately burst into infection forms
Beneath the Grounds: spawn some flood tentacles at target area
For the Gravemind: all flood units in the area move significantly faster and regenerate health for a short duration
I shed a tear .... Beautiful
I actually attempted to start a thread on this idea, how gorgeous would it be to introduce the flood back as a playable faction. There was already a mod in halo wars 1 that did each troop type, and it was pretty well done. To add to it, it's in demand, people are asking for this! And as if that wasn't enough, giving us a throwback of nostalgia to games like halo 3, where the flood was horrific to go up against initially, would be something halo fans have been in absolute need of since bungie hopped off the halo wagon, people are giving up on 343 because it doesn't feel like the "halo games we knew and loved" so giving us a throwback like the flood, and then making them playable, would probably be one of the biggest ways 343 could say "hey, we're listening, and your input matters"

That's my thoughts anyway, go check out the halo wars mod on youtube, it's pretty cool haha
Prediction: Flood as a playable character as DLC content.