Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Flood playable ideas

OP Sgt Palooggoo

Ten-Hut!
Hey Marines, Alot of people want the Flood to be playable in HW2.
That's not going to happen.
But, we can fantasize what It'd be like if they were playable, Right?
Here are some ideas on how they'd work:

1. I'd make there's only one Flood leader: The Gravemind.

2. The Flood should have some kind of different economy than the other two factions.
(Any ideas?)

3. It's core Infantry should be the Infection form.

4. It's Hero unit should be the Spawner.
(I'd make you can Create multiple of them, like the Goblin Brothers)

5. It's Ultimate unit should be The Hive Commander.
(One of its upgrades should be the: 'Inspire Aura'. That orange field that follows it around in the game)

6. One of its leader powers should be the 'Dust Devil' from HW1, and another leader power should be 'Flood Tentacle'.
(Think of all the different leader powers you could make, imagine what the 12 o'clock leader power would be)

7. It should have the Pure Form Structure: Creates Pure Flood Forms.
(Like Vehicle Infectors, Air Infectors, Carrier Forms, and Pure forms)

8. It's Unit Producers Structures should be able to make Infantry, Armour & Air from both Factions. (I don't know how that'd would work, but it'd be neat)

9. It's passive powers would be quite interesting, I don't know what they'd be but I'm sure you've got some ideas 👍

10. The Flood should be able to infect anything: Units, Buildings and Turrets.
(Heck, even a whole base would be cool or terrifying)

Anyways those are some ideas on how the Flood would work if they were ever playable in Halo Wars 2.
What's your ideas? Cuz I'd like to hear em!
Maybe their economy should work like this: they should get resources by infecting stuff, like buildings units and areas.
I think that'd be very Floodish
Maybe their economy should work like this: they should get resources by infecting stuff, like buildings units and areas.
the flood actually adapt and convert their surroundings into resources so a building can theory be used like a supply pad, not sure about power though. Their main goal and a possible resources is hosting sentient life while using all other life as Biogel. The flood even have vehicles so a building can be used to build tanks, flood learn to use their equipment so why not make them?
More area they infect better economy they have... (Brace yourself, balances are coming!) The idea is great tough... I can imagine the terrain changing. Awesome
BlinxESP wrote:
More area they infect better economy they have... (Brace yourself, balances are coming!) The idea is great tough... I can imagine the terrain changing. Awesome
Yeah, imagine all the balancing updates for the Flood.
343i patch notes: "Added 12% health buff to infection forms.
2% health reduction to Hive Commander. Vehicle Infector now costs 230 resources, previous 200. Flood Tentacles do 16% less damage"
the flood actually adapt and convert their surroundings into resources so a building can theory be used like a supply pad, not sure about power though. Their main goal and a possible resources is hosting sentient life while using all other life as Biogel. The flood even have vehicles so a building can be used to build tanks, flood learn to use their equipment so why not make them?
Great call.
If they infect any building they can produce the units it could.
Great call.
If they infect any building they can produce the units it could.
Stop you're not the Racing Drones.

But yes it's a good idea.
I'd imagine it being something like the Zerg. Can you imagine an Abomination infecting your base and now your base belonged to the Flood? Man, I kinda want to see that now.
I'd imagine it being something like the Zerg. Can you imagine an Abomination infecting your base and now your base belonged to the Flood? Man, I kinda want to see that now.
I've never been keen on the flood as playable. I mean they are intrinsically unbalanced, the name name kind of gives it away (they're like a flood overwhelming everything in their path). Balancing them for game play would take away what makes them special. BUT I also kind of want to see them infecting units and stealing bases. Maybe a standalone game mode, one flood player with no pop cap against 2 with normal rules.
I've never been keen on the flood as playable. I mean they are intrinsically unbalanced, the name name kind of gives it away (they're like a flood overwhelming everything in their path). Balancing them for game play would take away what makes them special. BUT I also kind of want to see them infecting units and stealing bases. Maybe a standalone game mode, one flood player with no pop cap against 2 with normal rules.
Yeah I think a stand alone game mode would be a better idea too
I was actually hoping we got a release type Map that took place in the Blightlands, instead of Sentinels we could fight Flood Tentacles or Infection forms for Power Nodes. I don't know I feel like it's a waste right now. Also the Flood is considered one of the most overpowered Sci-Fi parasites according to EckhartsLadder. I don't even know how Chief survives without the excuse of plot.
I was actually hoping we got a release type Map that took place in the Blightlands, instead of Sentinels we could fight Flood Tentacles or Infection forms for Power Nodes. I don't know I feel like it's a waste right now. Also the Flood is considered one of the most overpowered Sci-Fi parasites according to EckhartsLadder. I don't even know how Chief survives without the excuse of plot.
Perhaps something 'greater' was at work
There have been many encounters where Humans survived the Flood. Even when they attacked the heart of the Humans being Earth, a whole sector was lost during a Covenant attack and they were nuked to oblivion. The Flood is stoppable but always in the early or mid stages of their strength.
Oh Sgt Palooggoo!

I didn’t think you the type to see Flood the light!
buddy, we need a flood faction that flips the next RTS on it’s head.
diversity is hard to balance, but it’s fantastic and creative to have!

Hero that’s supposed to engulf it’s opponents in troops, kindve like YapYaps endless supply of cannon fodder!

The player might constantly lose health, so they’d have to act quickly and aggressively, always and constantly working towards making a Flood Gorilla, or abomination!
Maybe they don’t have resources, maybe they are constricted to efficient use of time only, you know like Strongholds.

I’m, of course talking about what’s possible for the future, if Halo Wars 3 ever comes, this would be a great way to spice Up the diversity, like other RTSs.
Halo Wars 2 is great because most people are on the same level of thinking, it’s simple, it’s fast paced.

But Halo Wars 3 can’t just be the same thing.
a Flood leader might be the Segway into diversity like that, you know what I mean?
Oh Sgt Palooggoo!

I didn’t think you the type to see Flood the light!
buddy, we need a flood faction that flips the next RTS on it’s head.
diversity is hard to balance, but it’s fantastic and creative to have!

Hero that’s supposed to engulf it’s opponents in troops, kindve like YapYaps endless supply of cannon fodder!

The player might constantly lose health, so they’d have to act quickly and aggressively, always and constantly working towards making a Flood Gorilla, or abomination!
Maybe they don’t have resources, maybe they are constricted to efficient use of time only, you know like Strongholds.

I’m, of course talking about what’s possible for the future, if Halo Wars 3 ever comes, this would be a great way to spice Up the diversity, like other RTSs.
Halo Wars 2 is great because most people are on the same level of thinking, it’s simple, it’s fast paced.

But Halo Wars 3 can’t just be the same thing.
a Flood leader might be the Segway into diversity like that, you know what I mean?
I guess I know what you mean... oh & thanks for getting my name right, 2 Gs
There have been many encounters where Humans survived the Flood. Even when they attacked the heart of the Humans being Earth, a whole sector was lost during a Covenant attack and they were nuked to oblivion. The Flood is stoppable but always in the early or mid stages of their strength.
Let's be honest, if High Charity crashed on Earth they would not be able to glass the continent in time. Halo 1-3 especially the Arbiter in Halo 2 surviving that Library is plot. Chief even in the books barely survived his encounter in the Library. If the Flood was doing what they were supposed to do we would have no Halo, I also feel no game truly portrays them correctly. You have Chief surviving the Flood then you have a bunch of Marines surviving the Flood on the Mona Lisa.
Ten-Hut!
Hey Marines, Alot of people want the Flood to be playable in HW2.
That's not going to happen.
But, we can fantasize what It'd be like if they were playable, Right?
Here are some ideas on how they'd work:

1. I'd make there's only one Flood leader: The Gravemind.

2. The Flood should have some kind of different economy than the other two factions.
(Any ideas?)

3. It's core Infantry should be the Infection form.

4. It's Hero unit should be the Spawner.
(I'd make you can Create multiple of them, like the Goblin Brothers)

5. It's Ultimate unit should be The Hive Commander.
(One of its upgrades should be the: 'Inspire Aura'. That orange field that follows it around in the game)

6. One of its leader powers should be the 'Dust Devil' from HW1, and another leader power should be 'Flood Tentacle'.
(Think of all the different leader powers you could make, imagine what the 12 o'clock leader power would be)

7. It should have the Pure Form Structure: Creates Pure Flood Forms.
(Like Vehicle Infectors, Air Infectors, Carrier Forms, and Pure forms)

8. It's Unit Producers Structures should be able to make Infantry, Armour & Air from both Factions. (I don't know how that'd would work, but it'd be neat)

9. It's passive powers would be quite interesting, I don't know what they'd be but I'm sure you've got some ideas 👍

10. The Flood should be able to infect anything: Units, Buildings and Turrets.
(Heck, even a whole base would be cool or terrifying)

Anyways those are some ideas on how the Flood would work if they were ever playable in Halo Wars 2.
What's your ideas? Cuz I'd like to hear em!
I think instead of trying to make it so it earns supply and power and make it so it trains from swarming a barracks building it should make it so you make a certain amount of troops every so often at a main structure you start out with, and the more you have infected the more you get to make. So lets say you've infected 2 marines and a few building scattered all throughout the map. So now you get to make some vehicle infectors, a couple of seeders, and 8 spores. If you had infected an army, you get a whole other army and there's no pop cap. Or rather, if there is one, it'd be 240 or higher. However, if there were two people who picked flood they'd be immune to each other in the "taking control over their stuff" kind of way. They still do damage to their structures and units just one flood leader can't take over another flood leader's units. This makes it so even the slightest bit of the flood becomes out of control then it snowballs into something no one can control. Like the flood in the real halo games. So you have to work out how long it's going to be before you attack the flood as if you fail and take to long then the flood takes over your army before you get prepared for it but if you attack too soon you won't have enough units nor the fire power to win that fight and you'll lose to the flood anyway. At the same time you also have to worry about the other players in the game as they haven't just disappeared and are still there. Worrying about the same thing you are.