Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Forge or Johnson: Who Should I Pick?

OP yurifan65

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Hey everyone! So, I just got some early birthday money from a relative and I decided I'd like to get a DLC Leader in HW2. I've narrowed down the list and I'm torn between two options: Forge and Johnson. What is the general consensus for who is more effective? Thanks!
Forge is, without a doubt, the stronger leader of the two.

But playing with the Johnson is always fun ;).

But playing the Johnson is always fun ;).
Okey-dokey, thanks! I think I'll get Forge now and when next available, I'll have to get Johnson, as well. He knows what the ladies like. XD
yurifan65 wrote:

But playing the Johnson is always fun ;).
Okey-dokey, thanks! I think I'll get Forge now and when next available, I'll have to get Johnson, as well. He knows what the ladies like. XD
Haha, you get it.

Youre welcome, friend!
Hey, Sadder Joker, before I go, just out of curiosity, which specific abilities make him better? I'm not doubting, just asking.
yurifan65 wrote:
Hey, Sadder Joker, before I go, just out of Curiosity, which specific abilities make him better? I'm not doubting, just asking.
Better hero, better Eco (rolling Eco), better offensive (scatter bomb), Forge has good unit drops, and ACC Assembly.
yurifan65 wrote:
Hey, Sadder Joker, before I go, just out of Curiosity, which specific abilities make him better? I'm not doubting, just asking.
Better hero, better Eco (rolling Eco), better offensive (scatter bomb), Forge has good unit drops, and ACC Assembly.
Ah, got it. Thanks!
In skirmish, Forge is better. Johnson is a good leader, but he is slightly weaker than most leaders in skirmish. However, all leaders are viable and powerful if played properly. In addition, Johnson excels at terminus firefight.
Forge.

And remember you dont have to build grizzlies just because its forge.
In skirmish, Forge is better. Johnson is a good leader, but he is slightly weaker than most leaders in skirmish. However, all leaders are viable and powerful if played properly. In addition, Johnson excels at terminus firefight.
Oh, okay, thanks! Skirmish is what I usually play anyways so that's great!
Just curious...Why is Johnson better in firefight? Because of free buildings?
Hey normally yes I would agree that forge is the overall better commander.
But don't forget that he got nerfed pretty hard last patch ( hero health and aura decrease , grizzly drop cost increase and so on).
In addition Johnson is getting a relative huge buff with this patch, so i personally would advice you to try out Johnson with the start of the next patch.
Forge is the everything leader. Johnson is the Jack of all trades as well but you cant even compare Johnson to Forge's abilities and Forgehog. If Johnson sits units in Johnson shield, you can destroy it and deal damage to the units with Anvil (Anvil>>>>>>Shield). Rolling Eco is better than Digging In Deep just because its early game. Forge has a nice Kodiak and Grizzly Batallion to johnson's... exspensive Seige Drop with a SHIELD. Why would it have a shield when it is meant for range?! Heavy Metal is also VERY helpful for pushing. Bunker Drop is one of the few things he has but Heavy Metal + Restro Drones= invulnerable army. Johnson does have Mech Overcharge but the rest of Forges kit still easily matches that such as Combat Salvage. Johnson's only ability better than Forge is Pelican Drop. Johnson is without a doubt a mediocre Forge.
Malcatrazz wrote:
Free Barricades make controlling wave pathing a breeze. Mech Overcharge is also very nice.
Malcatrazz wrote:
Free Barricades make controlling wave pathing a breeze. Mech Overcharge is also very nice.
Thanks, I didn't know the barricades are free, I assumed this was only for base buildings ;-)
HOLD EVERYTHING!
Isn't Forge free DLC?
Forge IS free though...
HOLD EVERYTHING!
Isn't Forge free DLC?
yes
Forge is a free download. So download Forge, and if you want, purchase Johnson or ask us what your third option would be. Unless you play Terminus Firefight, there is a strong chance your third option would be a better purchase than Johnson.
Badass2790 wrote:
Forge is a free download. So download Forge, and if you want, purchase Johnson or ask us what your third option would be. Unless you play Terminus Firefight, there is a strong chance your third option would be a better purchase than Johnson.
(Sorry, reached my 5 post limit) Wait, what?!?! That's insane! I can't believe they're giving away such a powerful leader for free (thanks anyway 343 :) ) I do still need your guys' help, though. So, I will definitely get Forge for free and purchase Johnson. In your guys' opinion, what things (such as leader abilities, vehicles, infantry units, etc.) are most useful/worth resources for both leaders and which ones are just a waste? PS Wanted to say thanks to all of you guys for giving advice to a lowly noob like myself, really appreciate it :)

PPS So, I'm looking into getting a Banished leader, too, and I'm kind of leaning towards Yapyap. What is the best strategy for Yapyap? Do you think his Ceasefire ability and Cannon Fodder make him better or worse compared to Arbiter? Thanks!
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2