Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

[Locked] Get rid of cloaking!

OP The Danbox One

Hear me out....

They should really just get rid of cloaking (apart from leader powers) and get rid of detector units.

I mean so many units have cloak now and there are so many detector units it becomes obsolete, they just cancel each other out and the whole point of cloak is undermined. There should only be one unit that has it on each faction. The sniper and also the elite rangers. They both can cloak and they are the only ones that can detect except for watchtowers.

Shrouds would then become useless so instead of cloaking they could become bombers with a powerful shield as Y ability so they can bomb bases etc and the shield would give them strength as they are very slow moving. Banished bases will now not have cloak either.

Snipers and rangers will only be available at tier 2 and will start with cloaking ability with Y for a small amount of time. Upgrade will increase time and radius of cloak to encompass some additional units. Thus making cloak a more elite power and much more tactical. I really liked the ghost in SC so another idea would be for a cloaking unit to have a powerful bombing they can call in on bases but they have to remain undetected and be very close to the base.

Just some thoughts
I wished cloaking was better but how about no on removing it also not like this would change anything
YellowMallard73 Not too often we agree on anything. Removing cloak will not make a difference so may just as well leave it. Hell. Maybe you can use cloak in one of every million situations; but I cant really see myself cloaking at all next season. RIP Banished.
YellowMallard73 Not too often we agree on anything. Removing cloak will not make a difference so may just as well leave it. Hell. Maybe you can use cloak in one of every million situations; but I cant really see myself cloaking at all next season. RIP Banished.
Not exactly and it’s not rip banished the banished are better at certain things
Not exactly a good point. Thats like comparing a gun to a sword. They both good at what they do but guns are far more situationaly superior to a sword. There is a reason you don't bring a sword to a gunfight. Guns have range while melee is melee. swords are natually more subtly but a silenced small arms just as good. UNSC are just better right now.
That you, U/DanoWars?
I think cloaking is more underwhelming than it needs to be. It would be better if they got rid of some unit's ability to detect cloaked unit. Like why can wolverines and nightingales detect cloak? Your gonna have them in your army anyway with or without the cloak so having them detect cloak is a bit too much.
Ther are certain banished you would not cloak, at least I don't. Others that rely on it half the time.

Personally I don't think any unit should be able to remain out of LoS while cloaked, apart from snipers.

The thing i like most about cloaking is being able to hide a unit even for a moment, this is enough time to micro it out if about to die as it's no longer targetable, you just wont have a detect unit near every cloaked unit at the same time unless you micro like the almighty.

Cloakings removal would be bad for the game.
I think cloaking could certainly use a buff. Especially for Shipmaster.

Wonder if there is a way to have his advanced cloaking LP decrease the range of enemy detectors?
I think cloaking is more underwhelming than it needs to be. It would be better if they got rid of some unit's ability to detect cloaked unit. Like can wolverines and nightingales detect cloak? Your gonna have them in your army anyway with or without the cloak so having them detect cloak is a bit too much.
I agree...these units don't need to be detectors. Detectors should be something you have to specifically build for that purpose not something that you will have anyway...defeats the strategy element and renders cloaking a bit useless as it is.
I think cloaking could certainly use a buff. Especially for Shipmaster.

Wonder if there is a way to have his advanced cloaking LP decrease the range of enemy detectors?
Maybe they could also add detect to all the units able to gain a Y cloak for shippy, like marauders for example, I feel like a leader who is built around cloaking should have some extra cloaking skill. (sorry Dan i know this is your idea of hell, but its just for shippy✌ )
That you, U/DanoWars?
I thought the same thing! These kinds of suggestions are almost always silly. If this game were nothing but singleplayer vs. AI, some (not all) of DanoWars's suggestions would be more reasonable.
Not exactly a good point. Thats like comparing a gun to a sword. They both good at what they do but guns are far more situationaly superior to a sword. There is a reason you don't bring a sword to a gunfight. Guns have range while melee is melee. swords are natually more subtly but a silenced small arms just as good. UNSC are just better right now.
Well the engineers are more helpful than nightingales as they reduce damage when they use their y ability’s and I am pretty sure hunters are stronger than cyclops and some heroes are better like the arbiter or I guess atriox’s choosen to extent
I would be happy with removing base cloaks, buffing shrouds, removing detect from wolves and reavers, decrease detect range of gales, engineers, snipers and rangers, and making scouts the best detection unit
Well the engineers are more helpful than nightingales as they reduce damage when they use their y ability’s and I am pretty sure hunters are stronger than cyclops and some heroes are better like the arbiter or I guess atriox’s choosen to extent
Not exactly. Nightingales are quick and have more Health compared to Engineers. In fact, Engineers are not just slower, they are insanely slow for a air unit. Does not look goof for engineers right? Your wrong. Their Y ability can Block about half damage, give or take and you get somewhere between 40-60%. This is enough to survive a MAC, which can Instantly kill T3 Hunters with a single quick shot. Gales are nice because they can paperweight Uber units and end turret mayhem. Engineers are just as good as Gales. If I talk about Hunters though, they are better than Cyclopes except they are slower, Hunters>=cyclopes 90% of the time.
Not exactly. Nightingales are quick and have more Health compared to Engineers. In fact, Engineers are not just slower, they are insanely slow for a air unit. Does not look goof for engineers right? Your wrong. Their Y ability can Block about half damage, give or take and you get somewhere between 40-60%. This is enough to survive a MAC, which can Instantly kill T3 Hunters with a single quick shot. Gales are nice because they can paperweight Uber units and end turret mayhem. Engineers are just as good as Gales. If I talk about Hunters though, they are better than Cyclopes except they are slower, Hunters>=cyclopes 90% of the time.
Your right hunters are slower but most banished leaders do have teleport I swear this could be it’s own thread
Hear me out....

They should really just get rid of cloaking (apart from leader powers) and get rid of detector units.

I mean so many units have cloak now and there are so many detector units it becomes obsolete, they just cancel each other out and the whole point of cloak is undermined. There should only be one unit that has it on each faction. The sniper and also the elite rangers. They both can cloak and they are the only ones that can detect except for watchtowers.

Shrouds would then become useless so instead of cloaking they could become bombers with a powerful shield as Y ability so they can bomb bases etc and the shield would give them strength as they are very slow moving. Banished bases will now not have cloak either.

Snipers and rangers will only be available at tier 2 and will start with cloaking ability with Y for a small amount of time. Upgrade will increase time and radius of cloak to encompass some additional units. Thus making cloak a more elite power and much more tactical. I really liked the ghost in SC so another idea would be for a cloaking unit to have a powerful bombing they can call in on bases but they have to remain undetected and be very close to the base.

Just some thoughts
I Agree 100%
Hmm, what if Shrouds provided permanent cloak to all units around it...but it itself would remain visible at all times.
It would also hide the units from minimap( allowing grounds units to approach bases undetected on large maps in late game )
you could make "fake" decoy attacks by sending 1-2 shrouds towards one enemy base and another shroud towards the other base.
The enemy can see that there are shrouds coming, but they would not be able to see which of the shrouds hides an army.

The second cool update would be to make cloaked units visible when they fire or take damage.
If a unit fires, it spawns a "grayed out" ghost of itself which marks its last known/detected location.
This ghost can be attacked and targeted. If the cloaked unit does not move away from the ghost, then it can be destroyed.
The ghost would fade within seconds.
Hear me out....

I Agree 100%
Please don't revive old topics thanks, particularly when you have nothing to add.