Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Glassing beam overpowered still?

OP McGruder

i really still believe the glassing beam is still too overpowered. Being able to wipe out an early rush of brutes, hellbringers, goliaths with one beam is highly unbalanced and even into late game. A couple of games I have had recently both of which I won but still I had tech 3 armies against level 3 beam and my army dwindled from 120 to 43 in seconds even as I split the units up. Hell even when I play as decimus atriox or shipmaster I use the hell out of it cause it works just think it needs some more nerfing. A good comparison would be about the same damage as Jerome’s garbage dump from spirite of fire. It does enough to damage units but doesn’t wipe everything out. Just my thoughts.
McGruder wrote:
i really still believe the glassing beam is still too overpowered. Being able to wipe out an early rush of brutes, hellbringers, goliaths with one beam is highly unbalanced and even into late game. A couple of games I have had recently both of which I won but still I had tech 3 armies against level 3 beam and my army dwindled from 120 to 43 in seconds even as I split the units up. Hell even when I play as decimus atriox or shipmaster I use the hell out of it cause it works just think it needs some more nerfing. A good comparison would be about the same damage as Jerome’s garbage dump from spirite of fire. It does enough to damage units but doesn’t wipe everything out. Just my thoughts.
Split faster, I know it sounds dumb but really that's all it takes.

Also Jerome's junk drop is an awful comparison; it is AoE instead of focused, buffs nearby allies, and doesn't lock you out of unit control for 10 seconds.
I find the best strat to overcome glassing beam is to just play as a character with glassing beam.
McGruder wrote:
Split faster, I know it sounds dumb but really that's all it takes.

Also Jerome's junk drop is an awful comparison; it is AoE instead of focused, buffs nearby allies, and doesn't lock you out of unit control for 10 seconds.
"Split better" You're basically telling OP to git gud.

GB has been busted for awhile and everyone still agrees it needs some adjusting (mostly the duration from 10 to 7)
This is why GB3 is still banned from tournaments.
I feel like Glassing Beam is in a lot better position that it ever has been in to be honest. Glassing Beam 3 (the army melter) requires 3 leaders powers of investment and costs more than a base to use. Although it still banned in leagues and tournaments, there are plenty of leader powers on the Banished side that can counter-act glassing beam 3. Unfortunately, UNSC does not have teleport or anything that makes their units invincible temporarily. I do agree with a duration reduction, but it should only be a 1 second increase in the wind-up.

GB has been busted for awhile and everyone still agrees it needs some adjusting (mostly the duration from 10 to 7)
"Git gud" isn't an invalid criticism when the problem is slow reaction times. I think Hosti has the right idea with the wind up time being a little bit longer so the person about to get lasered has more time to react to the lance of light about to violate his units. Even so, until it gets fixed the best thing to be done is either run more banished and prime a teleport for when laser pointer 3 drops or work on speeding up the time it takes for you to split your units.

I don't disagree that GB3 is still busted, I'm just saying that comparing it to Jerome's junk drop is a rather poor comparison.
Do the creators even read any thread on this site? Every other post is about how the glassing beam is way OP especially in t1 and yet they do nothing about it, and its been that way forever.

"Git gud" isn't an invalid criticism when the problem is slow reaction times. I think Hosti has the right idea with the wind up time being a little bit longer so the person about to get lasered has more time to react to the lance of light about to violate his units. Even so, until it gets fixed the best thing to be done is either run more banished and prime a teleport for when laser pointer 3 drops or work on speeding up the time it takes for you to split your units.

I don't disagree that GB3 is still busted, I'm just saying that comparing it to Jerome's junk drop is a rather poor comparison.
I think its OP all around the board unless I want to run with rabbits in T1there is no way I can avoid it and still destroys my whole army without his units even seeing combat
I think it is ok if it’s OP. I usually use is at a last resort when my attack is going downhill and I need a distraction for a speedy getaway. XD
I once did a full direct hit with Pavium's 3rd tier Rain of Fire on some Johnson mechs and only one mech had its shields dropped, the others took 0 damage.

So if you wanna avoid getting glassed to oblivion, Johnson is the way to go. Unless other leader's glassing beams are just way more powerful than Pavium's, then Idk.
I once did a full direct hit with Pavium's 3rd tier Rain of Fire on some Johnson mechs and only one mech had its shields dropped, the others took 0 damage.

So if you wanna avoid getting glassed to oblivion, Johnson is the way to go. Unless other leader's glassing beams are just way more powerful than Pavium's, then Idk.
rain of fire != glassing beam

yeah, I know, I just don't know if it's in the same category as other glassing beams. What confuses me about this post is that the consensus is that Glassing beams in general are OP, when in my experience of playing the game I've had little luck with them, as my example points out.
I kid you not, those Johnson mechs stood perfectly still and were hit by the entire duration of the Rain of Fire, yet took basically no damage at all. lol

yeah, I know, I just don't know if it's in the same category as other glassing beams. What confuses me about this post is that the consensus is that Glassing beams in general are OP, when in my experience of playing the game I've had little luck with them, as my example points out.
I kid you not, those Johnson mechs stood perfectly still and were hit by the entire duration of the Rain of Fire, yet took basically no damage at all. lol
I think OP is talking about the leader power "glassing beam." Although rain of fire does consist of several weaker, rotating gbs - it is not the same thing. I believe you that rain of fire did not even eat through the OV on Johnsons mechs, but beam3 is probably a different story.
Reminds me, during the Yapping, didn't they test rather than the player controlling it, they just set down the path and let the beam go on that path?
I mean, it's a powerfully concentrated beam of Plasma being sent down from a ship; I don't believe it's supposed to tickle your units to death so much as it is supposed to melt them. Yeah, sure, it sucks because it can wipe out normal units, but that's what it was intended for I believe. It was meant as a last ditch effort to make your opponent scatter so they stop destroying your base for a few seconds. You honestly shouldn't pile your units into one large group anyway; you're asking to get wiped out if you do so.

Also, if you're the kind of person that spawns a butt load of rusher units early on in the game, you kinda deserve to be glassed down. Not everyone likes a rusher who's only interested in a 10 minute game. I play Halo Wars 2 because I want to kill time and have fun, not finally get myself stabilized in a growing economy only to see my screen lock to the 'Victory!' screen because a level 99 next to me spawned a bunch of Ghosts or rusher Brutes and destroyed the enemy bases before they even had forces built. (But that might just be me.)

Just saying, you really shouldn't complain about an ability that is kinda meant to cause you grief.
I think glassing beam could use a little of a tune down, but I think less building damage could be neat too; set the meme beam under unit removal pretty much exclusively.

EDIT: this is a dumb thought, meme beam is already just for smiting units.
I am fine with the damage per second. But I think Glassing Beam would be balanced if it lasted 7 seconds instead of 10 seconds.
The "git gud" response is completely valid in this situation, I'm sorry. If someone is slow to respond or simply "all Unit's' their army into a clump to get away, then they deserve to be punished with their army's destruction.
Split.your.units
it's not that difficult
I haven’t touched Halo Wars 2 in ages, but how can a limited duration glassing beam in this game be broken but Prophet of Regret’s one from Halo Wars 1 be okay when it can last ages?
JohnDang55 wrote:
I haven’t touched Halo Wars 2 in ages, but how can a limited duration glassing beam in this game be broken but Prophet of Regret’s one from Halo Wars 1 be okay when it can last ages?
In HW1, you can kill the prophet and also disable his active. HW2 you can't prevent the beam, it is faster, and does more damage. You can sort of avoid it by splitting units but it can easily destroy low tier armies very quickly and even high tier units after beam is upgraded to the third point. If beam had a shorter duration, splitting would be more effective and thus allow the opposing army to still advance and retain it's momentum.