Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

goliath rush is OP

OP OPU LEG3ND

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
somebody please tell me how to counter a goliath rush cause for some unkown reason 343 industries has made them super over powered. 343 please nerf them and for some reason you have made it impossible for wolverines to counter hornets some manythings broke in this game and iv only mentioned 2.
1. Wolverines DO counter Hornets.

But to your main point, you first need to scout. If you see a Colony your first assumption is that they're going to Goliath rush you, so build a scout early or even just send one of your starting Grunt/Marine squads over after you gather some resources. If you see a raid camp on a mini or on their main spam some Suicide Grunts or Snipers. And just like that, you've countered the Goliath rush.

But to your main point, you first need to scout. If you see a Colony your first assumption is that they're going to Goliath rush you, so build a scout early or even just send one of your starting Grunt/Marine squads over after you gather some resources. If you see a raid camp on a mini or on their main spam some Suicide Grunts or Snipers. And just like that, you've countered the Goliath rush.
Judging from OP's last game he died from a Goliath rush because he didn't even scout nor build a single unit and I assume tried to fast tech, He built 2 Barracks when the goliaths were already at his base which doesn't work obviously.
I've stopped many many Goliath rushes with just 5-6 marine squads, my Hero, and 1-2 turrets on my base.
EZ PZ
Hold up, are you complaining about balance and asking about how to play against X in the same post? If you don't know how to play vs something how can you possible gauge its balance?
OPU LEG3ND wrote:
somebody please tell me how to counter a goliath rush cause for some unkown reason 343 industries has made them super over powered. 343 please nerf them and for some reason you have made it impossible for wolverines to counter hornets some manythings broke in this game and iv only mentioned 2.
Oh boy, I guess I'll try and answer both, but I'm no pro so don't take all this as fact. I'm simply basing all my claims on my memory so sorry if some information about this is wrong or invalid. Let's get started!

To counter ANY rush you have to scout. Scouting is very important to the countering method. Just simply scout the enemy base, if their colony and they have a raid camp then it's most likely a rush. Now that you see the rush coming you can't waste ANY time. The more seconds you wait the less time you'll have to build a counter-rush force. Goliaths, while 5-7 can melt a base, suck going up against almost any units. Just build 3-5 snipers if you're UNSC, or build some suicide grunts if you're banished. with good micro you can easily counter the Goliath rush and come out on top supplies and power and unit wise.

As for that very controversial part of your state, this part:`
OPU LEG3ND wrote:
and for some reason you have made it impossible for wolverines to counter hornets some manythings broke in this game and iv only mentioned 2.
Ok, this is my opinion, yes, opinions are a thing and they do exist and this is mine. Plenty others, along with me, will say that air is not OP. Wolves do their job and so do reavers and that job is shredding air. You take 6-7 wolverines mixed into an army and you can counter almost anything air related. Reavers are in the same boat but you might need more, I'm not entirely sure as I don't play very much banished so I'm not as experienced in that field. You also mention that this game is SO broken but how? Those two things are the only major things that people even talk about being OP, the game is by far the most balanced it's been. The only thing I even find remotely broken is deci banshees and that is just barely OP. Sorry if it feels like I'm attacking you, just curious why you think this.

It's usually better to go Mine Grunts as Banished against Goliaths, as Sui's don't trade too well. Also, would like to add how it's best to catch Goliaths out in the open, rather than waiting at your base. The Goliaths can tank a lot of damage, especially when the heal is dropped, and you don't want to be fighting that at your base.

Other than that, absolutely agree. Well said, dude.
Goliaths, while 5-7 can melt a base, suck going up against almost any units.

Unless they're yoda's goliaths, his insanely good micro seems to get the best use out of even just a couple.
As UNSC have a couple of snipers + an anti infantry turret. Bonus points if you catch them on the way as Goliaths are worthless on the move. As the Banished, suicide grunts will rinse them. Goliath rushes almost always stack all goliaths in one spot meaning 5 suicide grunts will pretty much kill them all, maybe have an anti infantry turret to mop up survivors. Trading 5 suicide grunts for 5-7 goliaths is crazy, as that many goliaths costs 750-1050 supply and 400-560 power not to mention economy loss from having two pads devoted to barracks.
Anti infantry turret is not quite effective beceause of the engineer swarm. The best is dealing with them on their way to your base.

You have to take into account that the goliath rush is very punishing for the rusher's early economy, so if you can survive the rush and inmediately take out his supply pads with brutes or flamers it's gg, as you choked his economy.
Mr BluDawn wrote:

Judging from OP's last game he died from a Goliath rush because he didn't even scout nor build a single unit and I assume tried to fast tech, He built 2 Barracks when the goliaths were already at his base which doesn't work obviously.
While scouting is essential I think we all know Goliath rush is unbalanced. It has the best of both worlds, Very High building damage and very Tanky HP. Combine this with Colony's early heal (Engineer Swarm) and it can make a Goliath rush feel like you're playing the game on easy.

Is it impossible to stop? no obviously not. Is it unbalanced? From what I've seen yes, especially if you are playing as the banished as you wont have snipers/flamers/or UNSC turrets. Choppers and Ghosts are pretty decent at taking out Goliaths but that's about it.

I honestly think Goliaths do way too much damage, 4-5 of them can get a base red bared from just a few hits
nuchey wrote:
Mr BluDawn wrote:

While scouting is essential I think we all know Goliath rush is unbalanced. It has the best of both worlds, Very High building damage and very Tanky HP. Combine this with Colony's early heal (Engineer Swarm) and it can make a Goliath rush feel like you're playing the game on easy.

Is it impossible to stop? no obviously not. Is it unbalanced? From what I've seen yes, especially if you are playing as the banished as you wont have snipers/flamers/or UNSC turrets. Choppers and Ghosts are pretty decent at taking out Goliaths but that's about it.

I honestly think Goliaths do way too much damage, 4-5 of them can get a base red bared from just a few hits
In my experience it has not been unblanced, in teams or in 1s. I feel like being able to stop a Goliath rush is a great barometer of where your skill level is.

If Goliath rushes were as unbalanced as people make them, it would have been really difficult to beat our favorite friendly ghost when I could have slept through the three games I beat him.
Question, does anyone know if Jackrabbits are effective at countering Goliath rushes? I've never tried.
I imagine they would be great at catching goliaths on the run before they get to your base, but i dont know if their DPS is good enough?
jalam wrote:
Question, does anyone know if Jackrabbits are effective at countering Goliath rushes? I've never tried.
I imagine they would be great at catching goliaths on the run before they get to your base, but i dont know if their DPS is good enough?
Jackrabbits will win, but don't have enough DPS to kill Goliaths if they reach your base.
jalam wrote:
Jackrabbits will win, but don't have enough DPS to kill Goliaths if they reach your base.
awesome thanks, thats pretty much what i figured
The thing with Goliaths is their close quarters attack units.
Marines are mid ranged giving the Marines the advantage.
Same goes for Grunts
nuchey wrote:
Mr BluDawn wrote:

They have the same damage as Jump Pack Brutes.
Their army is listed is Core Infantry which makes Anti Rush do less to them.
Their not OP honestly, I've only lost to them a few times.
You didn't even mention Suicide Grunts which rekt Goliaths.
Mr BluDawn wrote:
nuchey wrote:
Mr BluDawn wrote:

Suicide grunts do not wreck Goliaths; and they also don't have the same damage as Jetpack brutes, whats with the fake news? Lol
nuchey wrote:
Mr BluDawn wrote:
nuchey wrote:
Mr BluDawn wrote:

Suicide grunts do not wreck Goliaths; and they also don't have the same damage as Jetpack brutes, whats with the fake news? Lol
Damage per pop they do, we've done the testing.

However Goliaths are much more tanky, I do believe Suicides are better than you give them credit for.

In my experience, Chopper and Engineers work better than Suicide Grunts. I love Suis as next as the next but they are built to deal AoE over direct damage. Goliaths are large, which causes less AoE when grouped, and have higher than normal health pool, which eat direct damage. Also, Ram does a surprisingly decent amount of dmg vs Suis too so you REALLY need to be careful of that. Marine, Snipers, and Jackrabbits work well but i'll sooner spam Grunts over Suicide Grunts to beat them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2