Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

goliath rush is OP

OP OPU LEG3ND

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
1. Wolverines DO counter Hornets.

But to your main point, you first need to scout. If you see a Colony your first assumption is that they're going to Goliath rush you, so build a scout early or even just send one of your starting Grunt/Marine squads over after you gather some resources. If you see a raid camp on a mini or on their main spam some Suicide Grunts or Snipers. And just like that, you've countered the Goliath rush.
It's usually better to go Mine Grunts as Banished against Goliaths, as Sui's don't trade too well. Also, would like to add how it's best to catch Goliaths out in the open, rather than waiting at your base. The Goliaths can tank a lot of damage, especially when the heal is dropped, and you don't want to be fighting that at your base.

Other than that, absolutely agree. Well said, dude.
Agree, suicide Grunts beat them but it takes like 2-3 of them vs a single one, losing battle on supplies and micro make Suis less than fair to counter. If they start Ramming them, Suis will be more of a problem. Definitely agree Shrapnel Mines and Choppers are your best approach. Still, they work decently so you dont need to rule them out.
nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:

But to your main point, you first need to scout. If you see a Colony your first assumption is that they're going to Goliath rush you, so build a scout early or even just send one of your starting Grunt/Marine squads over after you gather some resources. If you see a raid camp on a mini or on their main spam some Suicide Grunts or Snipers. And just like that, you've countered the Goliath rush.
Judging from OP's last game he died from a Goliath rush because he didn't even scout nor build a single unit and I assume tried to fast tech, He built 2 Barracks when the goliaths were already at his base which doesn't work obviously.
While scouting is essential I think we all know Goliath rush is unbalanced. It has the best of both worlds, Very High building damage and very Tanky HP. Combine this with Colony's early heal (Engineer Swarm) and it can make a Goliath rush feel like you're playing the game on easy.

Is it impossible to stop? no obviously not. Is it unbalanced? From what I've seen yes, especially if you are playing as the banished as you wont have snipers/flamers/or UNSC turrets. Choppers and Ghosts are pretty decent at taking out Goliaths but that's about it.

I honestly think Goliaths do way too much damage, 4-5 of them can get a base red bared from just a few hits
Suicide grunts do not wreck Goliaths; and they also don't have the same damage as Jetpack brutes, whats with the fake news? Lol
Damage per pop they do, we've done the testing.

However Goliaths are much more tanky, I do believe Suicides are better than you give them credit for.
I think that Nuchey is not that far off base here. When I run this strat, a Goliath with 1 Skitterer attached does not die from 1 suicide grunt. I start making skits as soon as the game begins and having 2 Goliaths show up on your doorstep with skits by the the 1:40 mark is quite the hill to overcome. I do agree with what you said about beating this rush is a great barometer of where your skill level is.

As far as the OP is concerned, if you see your enemy is colony, scouting is one thing but tbh they're probably rushing you, so just immediately start preparing for it.
nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:

Judging from OP's last game he died from a Goliath rush because he didn't even scout nor build a single unit and I assume tried to fast tech, He built 2 Barracks when the goliaths were already at his base which doesn't work obviously.
While scouting is essential I think we all know Goliath rush is unbalanced. It has the best of both worlds, Very High building damage and very Tanky HP. Combine this with Colony's early heal (Engineer Swarm) and it can make a Goliath rush feel like you're playing the game on easy.

Is it impossible to stop? no obviously not. Is it unbalanced? From what I've seen yes, especially if you are playing as the banished as you wont have snipers/flamers/or UNSC turrets. Choppers and Ghosts are pretty decent at taking out Goliaths but that's about it.

I honestly think Goliaths do way too much damage, 4-5 of them can get a base red bared from just a few hits
Damage per pop they do...

Anyone else read this like in a "Yoda Voice" from starwars. "Conversation controversial it is"
Nah I don't think they're op at all. Only times Ive lost to them is when I wasn't paying attention which was my own doing. Get early scouts with some snipers and marines and you're sorted.

As Banished? Suicide grunts or choppers?
nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:

Anyone else read this like in a "Yoda Voice" from starwars. "Conversation controversial it is"
Funny how you have to specify "Yoda from Star Wars."
nuchey wrote:
nuchey wrote:

Funny how you have to specify "Yoda from Star Wars."
Yeah, didn't want people confused with the person that goes by Yoda and the actual Yoda
jalam wrote:
Question, does anyone know if Jackrabbits are effective at countering Goliath rushes? I've never tried.
I imagine they would be great at catching goliaths on the run before they get to your base, but i dont know if their DPS is good enough?
Currently I believe that Goliaths have the core infantry armor typing which means scouts will not do as well as they should. Suis do better but what I have seen work the best is Hero + grunts. I have erased goliaths with Spartans nade marines as anders and Chosen grunt mines with trox.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2