[Locked] Goliath Rush OP?

OP HowsTheCow00

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
As the title states, the Goliath rush seems to be OP - especially in concert w any other rush. The time it takes for 6-8 Goliaths to destroy a tier 2 base seems too short.
In my experience it is not OP, 6-8 Goliaths cost a lot and take a lot of time to make. Gives you loads of time to scout and counter.
Whenever someone posts something like this I always look at their game history to see what went wrong and how they can improve.

Individually, the team you played against built 39 units. 13 goliath and over 20 jump pack brutes and a couple of grunts. Your team built..... around 10 units and no anti infantry. And had only 1 turret on your base. Total not each. First off if I faced a Atriox and colony combo my first thought is rush, and I will check for it. How in Chiefs name did neither you nor your teammate not notice 33 rush units until they were at your base? Can you honestly tell me you didn't deserve that defeat? The result would have been the same with flamers, enforcers, or maybe even grunts with how few units you built.

Onto the wider issue, yes Goliaths fringe upon the OP territory. If you don't catch them before they arrive at your base you are screwed, unless you are a higher level player. However even then a higher level player would know to use chopper stun, leaders powers, anti infantry units, and maybe a turret in the back of the base if they see it coming. Anti infantry also shreds Goliaths if they are caught out in the open. The main problem with Goliaths is their y ability. It makes it where with the stun, the Goliaths are able to kill units that they should not. I say if the y ability is an upgrade costing say 300 to 400 power, then it would be a fair and balanced. However others feel free to give your input as well.
That's the main key, scout. They are very manageable to stop and they cost lots of resources so stopping them and controlling the map is good.
Lun06 wrote:
Whenever someone posts something like this I always look at their game history to see what went wrong and how they can improve.

Individually, the team you played against built 39 units. 13 goliath and over 20 jump pack brutes and a couple of grunts. Your team built..... around 10 units and no anti infantry. And had only 1 turret on your base. Total not each. First off if I faced a Atriox and colony combo my first thought is rush, and I will check for it. How in Chiefs name did neither you nor your teammate not notice 33 rush units until they were at your base? Can you honestly tell me you didn't deserve that defeat? The result would have been the same with flamers, enforcers, or maybe even grunts with how few units you built.

Onto the wider issue, yes Goliaths fringe upon the OP territory. If you don't catch them before they arrive at your base you are screwed, unless you are a higher level player. However even then a higher level player would know to use chopper stun, leaders powers, anti infantry units, and maybe a turret in the back of the base if they see it coming. Anti infantry also shreds Goliaths if they are caught out in the open. The main problem with Goliaths is their y ability. It makes it where with the stun, the Goliaths are able to kill units that they should not. I say if the y ability is an upgrade costing say 300 to 400 power, then it would be a fair and balanced. However others feel free to give your input as well.
We need more posts like this when people cry OP, and in general really.
I used a Goliath rush the other day against a grunt rusher, and almost lost when he switched to banshee's and I went locusts/reavers. It's all in how you manage time, positioning, and resources/units.
If you ever end up fighting against a colony, you should just assume they will rush with goliaths. It's one thing to spawn counters, but having an effective hero unit can help you not bleed out supplies and energy.
Lun06 wrote:

I’m honestly asking the question. Not crying OP. I’m asking other opinions (esp better players) on whether they feel they are. Your comment adds nothing to this discussion
Lun06 wrote:

I’m honestly asking the question. Not crying OP. I’m asking other opinions on whether they feel they are. Your comment adds nothing to this discussion
My comment wasn't directed at your original post. It was to his comment, doesn't need to be constructive.

With that being said, Goliath rush does suck, got out of a bad match against it. Couldn't do anything as he surrounded my base. I built anti infantry units and the were killed nearly immediately after encountering the Goliath's.
THere two ways to deal with 1 scout early and fight it off on their side of the map 2 base trade and mop up Goliaths after that’s how I’ve beat it
In my experience it is not OP, 6-8 Goliaths cost a lot and take a lot of time to make. Gives you loads of time to scout and counter.
They do build very quickly imo but they are still not OP. They appear to too strong because they are impossible to kill once they reach your base due to Engineer Swarm but this is easily beatable with snipers, Choppers, Ghost and scouting. Just remember you MUST beat them before they reach you base or you lose.
My (young) son has been using Colony Goliath rushes to great effect. I don't think it's OP - my guess is maybe it could take a pinch longer to build a goliath, but that's it. I've seen him lose plenty of times, tho, AS LONG AS YOU SCOUT. If you don't scout, you're dead. And it's your fault.
LbonB312 wrote:
If you ever end up fighting against a colony, you should just assume they will rush with goliaths. It's one thing to spawn counters, but having an effective hero unit can help you not bleed out supplies and energy.
well managed snipers or suicide grunts, a hero with marine support, 1-2 Anti infantry turrets, are all good ways to avoid this if you scout correctly and see it before it happens. Remember, if you don't scout, and you get "rushed" its your fault and you deserve the L.

On the opposing side, it is soooo satisfying watching 6-8 goliaths connect on a base and politely ask the base to leave.
So far I've gone up against several Goliath rushes, it seems to be the only thing colony players do. Just always be on the look out for the few paths they can take to your base and destroy them with whatever army you have.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members. This includes stat-flaming.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
marmy080 wrote:
So far I've gone up against several Goliath rushes, it seems to be the only thing colony players do. Just always be on the look out for the few paths they can take to your base and destroy them with whatever army you have.
Goliaths are not overpowered in the slightest. Scout and build counters, that's all that it takes.
marmy080 wrote:
Goliaths are not overpowered in the slightest. Scout and build counters, that's all that it takes.
pahaha dude I know that, check my game history
I don't have too much of a problem with them but they do kill bases 4x faster then flamers soo Thier might be something broken about that.
marmy080 wrote:
marmy080 wrote:
pahaha dude I know that, check my game history
I did, I don't know what you expected me to find. There is no evidence suggesting Goliaths are OP
lJGl Fox wrote:
I don't have too much of a problem with them but they do kill bases 4x faster then flamers soo Thier might be something broken about that.
Even if they are broken, the problem with Goliaths are usually a minimum if you scout. I much rather fight Goliaths any day than mass Engineer + Colony rush + Skitters
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4