Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Goo should only be a debuff to enemy units armor.

OP Darkest Inferno

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I honestly just think the goo needs a nerf too how long it's on the field not the damage. The damage can stay the same but make it so it only stays around for 15-45 seconds and not two minutes but that's just my opinion and I don't use Voridus so I can't say for sure.
45 seconds??? I don't understand how people think anything more than 10-15 seconds is okay. No other leader has that kind of area denial potential. Serina's icebergs can be destroyed, as can everything else that freezes stuff. Methane Wagons are on the same boat. Only YapYap's ultimate can't be stopped and 1) it's an ultimate and 2) probably still doesn't have a 45 seconds duration, and definitely not 2 minutes. Fire/napalm is the only other thing that causes damage over time (DoT) and it doesn't last nearly as long. Inferno and Napalm Strike are only about 32 seconds each.

So once again: How is goo, with the gazillion different ways there are to spread it, justified in having damage AND a duration of over 10 seconds???
All very good points, and I never said exactly fifteen seconds. My bad if I made it seem like that clearly I wasn't that thorough and that's on me. I said 15-45 seconds as my preference indicating some leniency for people to put in their personal preference. However, I think it should be around that amount of time due to the goo being the main thing with this leader. If it was nerfed to a pulp no one would play this leader. The goo is used as area denial that's it's main function and is not supposed too be used as an attacking method. But 343 has made it a bit too strong and so it has spiraled out of control. So instead of rendering it useless just make it a little less redundant. Both of us agree it needs a down grade. But in my opinion I honestly think it should be changed to the range of 15-30 seconds(I've changed it as I have thought it through and that 45 seconds is indeed too high)
I honestly just think the goo needs a nerf too how long it's on the field not the damage. The damage can stay the same but make it so it only stays around for 15-45 seconds and not two minutes but that's just my opinion and I don't use Voridus so I can't say for sure.
45 seconds??? I don't understand how people think anything more than 10-15 seconds is okay. No other leader has that kind of area denial potential. Serina's icebergs can be destroyed, as can everything else that freezes stuff. Methane Wagons are on the same boat. Only YapYap's ultimate can't be stopped and 1) it's an ultimate and 2) probably still doesn't have a 45 seconds duration, and definitely not 2 minutes. Fire/napalm is the only other thing that causes damage over time (DoT) and it doesn't last nearly as long. Inferno and Napalm Strike are only about 32 seconds each.

So once again: How is goo, with the gazillion different ways there are to spread it, justified in having damage AND a duration of over 10 seconds???
All very good points, and I never said exactly fifteen seconds. My bad if I made it seem like that clearly I wasn't that thorough and that's on me. I said 15-45 seconds as my preference indicating some leniency for people to put in their personal preference. However, I think it should be around that amount of time due to the goo being the main thing with this leader. If it was nerfed to a pulp no one would play this leader. The goo is used as area denial is it's main function and is not supposed too be used as an attacking method. But 343 has made it a bit too strong and so it has spiraled out of control. So instead of rendering it useless just make it a little less redundant. Both of us agree it needs a down grade. But in my opinion I honestly think it should be changed to the range of 15-30 seconds(I've changed it as I have thought it through and that 45 seconds is indeed too high)
True, you did give a range. I was mostly generalizing how anyone could think it should be more than 10-15 seconds. If you look at my above post you'd find that I detailed out Voridus' leader powers. His kit, even without any goo damage, is among the best in the game. He has the best eco power, the best heal, a very strong mine that also debuffs, the potentially most destructive teams power, a great ultimate, and he has an insane amount of methods of distributing goo. If anything, even without goo damage he would still be in need of nerfs. Taking away the damage is just the big first step.

I think the reason Voridus doesn't seem that crazy to some people is that really good players don't tend to use him (because of how unfair he is). Metaloid is a great player that does and the things he can do with Voridus are truly bonkers. I played against him in a 1v1 and it honestly felt like he was using cheats and had "God Mode" turned on. I had never felt so hopeless. Voridus is so far beyond other leaders that it's honestly a miracle that more top players don't abuse him.

All very good points, and I never said exactly fifteen seconds. My bad if I made it seem like that clearly I wasn't that thorough and that's on me. I said 15-45 seconds as my preference indicating some leniency for people to put in their personal preference. However, I think it should be around that amount of time due to the goo being the main thing with this leader. If it was nerfed to a pulp no one would play this leader. The goo is used as area denial is it's main function and is not supposed too be used as an attacking method. But 343 has made it a bit too strong and so it has spiraled out of control. So instead of rendering it useless just make it a little less redundant. Both of us agree it needs a down grade. But in my opinion I honestly think it should be changed to the range of 15-30 seconds(I've changed it as I have thought it through and that 45 seconds is indeed too high)
True, you did give a range. I was mostly generalizing how anyone could think it should be more than 10-15 seconds. If you look at my above post you'd find that I detailed out Voridus' leader powers. His kit, even without any goo damage, is among the best in the game. He has the best eco power, the best heal, a very strong mine that also debuffs, the potentially most destructive teams power, a great ultimate, and he has an insane amount of methods of distributing goo. If anything, even without goo damage he would still be in need of nerfs. Taking away the damage is just the big first step.

I think the reason Voridus doesn't seem that crazy to some people is that really good players don't tend to use him (because of how unfair he is). Metaloid is a great player that does and the things he can do with Voridus are truly bonkers. I played against him in a 1v1 and it honestly felt like he was using cheats and had "God Mode" turned on. I had never felt so hopeless. Voridus is so far beyond other leaders that it's honestly a miracle that more top players don't abuse him.
Didn't see your post from above, I got bored of reading the same thing over and over again after the second post. But with this new found knowledge I can see your point and it makes sense. I just thought that the goo was his only stomping power over other leaders and without that he was nothing, clearly I was wrong(Que Dramatic Gasp Noise). With that in mind I can see a 10-15 second goo time. I still think that there has to be a better way to nerf him but for the time being you've convinced me.

You know what though, after writing this final response, as the sun sets on our debate and it rises on someone else's, I think I need to clarify something. The original poster's intent was to make his opinion known in that it should only be a debuff to armor and I never actually commented on that part of the post. I just forgot about that I guess. I think that the goo being limited to just debuffing is a terrible idea in my opinion. The main thing his goo is used for is area denial because people don't want to walk through a place that is going to hurt them. It's used for pushing back the enemy and in some scenarios protecting yourself. But if you replaced it with only a debuff to defense and attack who's gonna be afraid to walk through the goo? Yes, it still does help in defense in this debuff state but I don't know. I feel it'd be a let down for this powerful goo to be limited to debuts. Besides, how would you ever complete the 4th mission of ATN without the goo!(Because that's the REAL thing that matters)

*Insert Voridus or goo pun here*

#GooGone

I think that the goo being limited to just debuffing is a terrible idea in my opinion. The main thing his goo is used for is area denial because people don't want to walk through a place that is going to hurt them. It's used for pushing back the enemy and in some scenarios protecting yourself. But if you replaced it with only a debuff to defense and attack who's gonna be afraid to walk through the goo? Yes, it still does help in defense in this debuff state but I don't know. I feel it'd be a let down for this powerful goo to be limited to debuts. Besides, how would you ever complete the 4th mission of ATN without the goo!(Because that's the REAL thing that matters)
You're right in that no one would be afraid to walk through a debuff-only goo when there aren't any enemies around. The same could be said about Serina's ice nodes though. No leader should have an un-counterable method of area denial. The debuff-only goo would still give Voridus an unquestionable advantage in any engagement. Fighting in goo, which should be every Voridus engagement, would still give him a tangible edge. If it keeps damage, especially without Infusion Tech upgrades, then it would create too big of an imbalance during engagements. Decimus needs 3 leader points for his armies to get that crazy edge they have. With his leader and engineers Voridus needs zero and he can have that edge from the beginning of the match, not 12 minutes in. The goo does so much damage that it melts kodiaks and Wolverines in about 25 to 30 seconds. That means that in his mass Banshees are practically unstoppable. In a 15 second engagement the goo could deplete half their health, allowing Banshees to just melt away what's left. I cannot overstate this: his goo is terrible for balance.
This goo, the liquid crap, should do zero damage and do a slow only. Ok, perhaps not, but a great reduction of time at the very least; this leader is amazingly broken and they intentionally didn't fix it.
Infusion may have been nerfed but its dmg late game got actually buffed. His mid game is weak? Have you ever played a good player using it? Your army can easily covered in goop with mine drop and vortex while being cornered by an army killing it with ease. Even if you go air a few AA will deal with them too.
Compared to the likes of forge and decimus yes. Very weak.
I think that is debatable, that goo is ridiculously powerful. Take an equal skilled Voridus vs a Decimus or Forge and the Voridus will always win.
My money is on the decimus.
Nothing wrong with a debate 🤝
You're dead wrong, and obviously biased with your 3rd most used leader being Voridus. Voridus is currently unbeatable in 1v1, unless you are miles ahead of the player in skill level there is no beating him. Early game his leader/engis wreck everything, he can simultaneously heal his base and kill 20 flamers with engis alone. Every early game unit gets melted by infusion because they have so little health. Then as soon as he hits late game he auto wins every engagement, his LPs have nearly non-existent cooldowns, and cataclysm wipes entire armies with or without unit support. No Voridus above absolute garbage tier should ever lose a 1v1 to any other leader.
Dont hate the player
Infusion may have been nerfed but its dmg late game got actually buffed. His mid game is weak? Have you ever played a good player using it? Your army can easily covered in goop with mine drop and vortex while being cornered by an army killing it with ease. Even if you go air a few AA will deal with them too.
Compared to the likes of forge and decimus yes. Very weak.
I think that is debatable, that goo is ridiculously powerful. Take an equal skilled Voridus vs a Decimus or Forge and the Voridus will always win.
My money is on the decimus.
Nothing wrong with a debate 🤝
You're dead wrong, and obviously biased with your 3rd most used leader being Voridus. Voridus is currently unbeatable in 1v1, unless you are miles ahead of the player in skill level there is no beating him. Early game his leader/engis wreck everything, he can simultaneously heal his base and kill 20 flamers with engis alone. Every early game unit gets melted by infusion because they have so little health. Then as soon as he hits late game he auto wins every engagement, his LPs have nearly non-existent cooldowns, and cataclysm wipes entire armies with or without unit support. No Voridus above absolute garbage tier should ever lose a 1v1 to any other leader.
Dont hate the player
"Nothing wrong with a debate" and then you proceed not to debate 👌. You never replied to my comment either. Must be hard to debate when exactly zero facts support your argument.
Everytime I stumble into this thread, I always read "God" instead of Goo.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2