Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Halo Reach is out! Halo Wars 2 support?

OP EnviousGreen855

So pretty much all of the staff who worked on HW2 were dedicated to finishing reach on the MCC. (which plays great by the way) Now that Reach is up and running, are there any plans to support HW2 again? Patches, content, updates, anything?
They still have to release all the other MCC games on PC.
Ah! I didn't realize the MCC wasn't dropping as the full package out the gate. I need to do a better job of keeping myself informed.
Another few months then. Thank you!
There's also infinite. Really there's always going to be something more important than HW2, because it's an RTS and Halo is primarily focused on FPS.
Ah! I didn't realize the MCC wasn't dropping as the full package out the gate. I need to do a better job of keeping myself informed.
Another few months then. Thank you!
They informed everyone that Reach was going to be solo dropped when MCC hit PC, then they would add each game individually over time, this was likely to minimize how many ongoing issues would pop up. Seeing as MCC was a huge mess upon original release on the Xbox One years ago.

We'll likely hear updates soon about what their plans are, but Reach was their biggest non-Infinite related conquest before December 4th, so perhaps now they'll branch out back to their other games. Infinite is mostly complete by now, all they are probably doing is putting the finishing touches on and making sure everything is going according to plan, so they can probably spare that group that was working on Reach to somewhere else.
I'd assume they wouldn't have a team to dedicate to HE2 until around 2021. Odds are they'll have all of MCC out on PC and an MCC port running on Project Scarlett by this time next year, and once that happens the team will likely switch over to Halo Infinite to help with content updates for that game.

I'd expect the only way we'd get a live team working on HW2 again is if they make a Definitive Edition port on next-gen hardware.

I honestly expect a remaster collection of HW:DE and HW2:DE on next-gen Xbox that will take the HW:DE multiplayer and fix it, and maybe launch HW2:DE with at least a new balance patch and some features (theater mode PLEASE). I wouldn't expect anything new for Halo Wars until 2021 at the earliest.
We're seeing a pattern of them reviving interest/development/rereleases of pretty much every title every so often. Halo Wars 1 was an RTS "spin off" by a different studio and it still got some love years later witha sequel and a well-supported, DE rerelease. I can imagine we'll reach the point where people get nostalgic over HW2 and the time is right for a revisit/rerelease.

Unfortunately, for the moment, I don't see much work on the original release being done.