OP hillarylover88

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Halo wars 1 vs Halo Wars 2.
There's a lot of things I'd like to get off my chest here. For starters, Halo Wars 1 was, in my opinion, probably my favorite game. So to come out with a sequel for it, I have a lot of expectations.
What made Halo Wars 1 so great was it's balance. No unit was overpowering, rushers could rush. If you were a good players you could anticipate it and defend it. There was no spamming of certain type of unit to overpower the opponent. Every leader was completely equal, yet covenant UNSC leaders brought unique play styles and strategies of their own.
What I do like about Halo Wars 2....there are a more diversified group of units. Snipers, marauders, nightingales, kodiaks, jackrabbits, blisterbacks, shrouds, and my favorite the condor are all great. The condor I believe is what the vulture should have been in HW1. The reavers are pathetic, but I'll get to that in a moment.
Some units, I think are greatly missed. Vampire especially because anti air in the game is atrocious. Gremlin and cobra were also great, but the kodiaks feature of a splash AOE to combat infantry is welcome as well. Jackals were substantially more effective than the pathetic elite rangers.
Here's my biggest gripe about the game. It seems as tho units need to be pumped out and an exhausting rate. You loose your units too damn quickly. Especially any anti-air unit which has no other function and gets destroyed against any other type of unit or even a base turret. There's no volley feature on the wolverine and reavers are underpowered and too slow even with the jump. To go further, to combat any all air spam you have to produce an immense amount of power. With no power you fall behind on upgrades of anything else. I get it to pump out some additional marines or whatever to balance it out, but they are just to slow to combat excessive air units and can't keep up when air units are scrambling back and forth from base to base. It's painfully obvious if you play Rumble. It seems as tho the only way to really combat is to go for an ultimate unit, which ultimately becomes boring when the game just has a bunch of condors and scarabs running around and there's no other real plan.
My second biggest gripe is the leader powers. I might be on the other side of most opinions on this, but think in general, leader powers are just too OP. Especially on bases. The game should not be about placing your leader powers at the correct time and spot. It should be about battling the enemy and strategy. I know it will be balanced eventually but, there are some serious discrepancies between leaders. I personally like to play with a random leader, but I feel like I have to play with either Kinsano or Atriox just to keep up with my opponent.
HW1 had a great counter for this, the disruption bomb. It baffles me that this was not included in HW2. With like nine different leader powers for each character, how this wasn't included is beyond me.
Another thing, which I doubt can be fixed at this point and I've heard from a lot of people on this forum are the maps. Although the maps in HW2 have some good features. They are nowhere near as good as the ones in HW1. HW1 maps brought a completely unique strategy and a game within a game for every map. Your, strategy, if you were a good player, could be completely different depending on the map and even where you were placed on the individual map. HW2 the maps are essentially all the same, just different layout. I agree with the posts that there should be some sort of establishment at an open base (rebel, sentinel, flood, whatever) instead of it just being open.
I could go on and on...but here's some quick ones which have been discussed by a lot: Tanks, the best unit in HW1 are now almost useless. Sentinels are still too fast. Everyone says reavers are fine, I think they blow, along with wolverines. Return the ODST unit back to cutter, not a leader power, a unit that can be dropped like the original. BRING BACK THE DISRUPTER BOMB AND VAMPIRE. Bring back cryo freeze, (of all these crazy leader powers how in the....did you forget cryo.)
There's a lot of things I'd like to get off my chest here. For starters, Halo Wars 1 was, in my opinion, probably my favorite game. So to come out with a sequel for it, I have a lot of expectations.
What made Halo Wars 1 so great was it's balance. No unit was overpowering, rushers could rush. If you were a good players you could anticipate it and defend it. There was no spamming of certain type of unit to overpower the opponent. Every leader was completely equal, yet covenant UNSC leaders brought unique play styles and strategies of their own.
What I do like about Halo Wars 2....there are a more diversified group of units. Snipers, marauders, nightingales, kodiaks, jackrabbits, blisterbacks, shrouds, and my favorite the condor are all great. The condor I believe is what the vulture should have been in HW1. The reavers are pathetic, but I'll get to that in a moment.
Some units, I think are greatly missed. Vampire especially because anti air in the game is atrocious. Gremlin and cobra were also great, but the kodiaks feature of a splash AOE to combat infantry is welcome as well. Jackals were substantially more effective than the pathetic elite rangers.
Here's my biggest gripe about the game. It seems as tho units need to be pumped out and an exhausting rate. You loose your units too damn quickly. Especially any anti-air unit which has no other function and gets destroyed against any other type of unit or even a base turret. There's no volley feature on the wolverine and reavers are underpowered and too slow even with the jump. To go further, to combat any all air spam you have to produce an immense amount of power. With no power you fall behind on upgrades of anything else. I get it to pump out some additional marines or whatever to balance it out, but they are just to slow to combat excessive air units and can't keep up when air units are scrambling back and forth from base to base. It's painfully obvious if you play Rumble. It seems as tho the only way to really combat is to go for an ultimate unit, which ultimately becomes boring when the game just has a bunch of condors and scarabs running around and there's no other real plan.
My second biggest gripe is the leader powers. I might be on the other side of most opinions on this, but think in general, leader powers are just too OP. Especially on bases. The game should not be about placing your leader powers at the correct time and spot. It should be about battling the enemy and strategy. I know it will be balanced eventually but, there are some serious discrepancies between leaders. I personally like to play with a random leader, but I feel like I have to play with either Kinsano or Atriox just to keep up with my opponent.
HW1 had a great counter for this, the disruption bomb. It baffles me that this was not included in HW2. With like nine different leader powers for each character, how this wasn't included is beyond me.
Another thing, which I doubt can be fixed at this point and I've heard from a lot of people on this forum are the maps. Although the maps in HW2 have some good features. They are nowhere near as good as the ones in HW1. HW1 maps brought a completely unique strategy and a game within a game for every map. Your, strategy, if you were a good player, could be completely different depending on the map and even where you were placed on the individual map. HW2 the maps are essentially all the same, just different layout. I agree with the posts that there should be some sort of establishment at an open base (rebel, sentinel, flood, whatever) instead of it just being open.
I could go on and on...but here's some quick ones which have been discussed by a lot: Tanks, the best unit in HW1 are now almost useless. Sentinels are still too fast. Everyone says reavers are fine, I think they blow, along with wolverines. Return the ODST unit back to cutter, not a leader power, a unit that can be dropped like the original. BRING BACK THE DISRUPTER BOMB AND VAMPIRE. Bring back cryo freeze, (of all these crazy leader powers how in the....did you forget cryo.)
Halo Wars 1 took 4 months of balancing to get to the "current state". Halo Wars 2 has been out for coming up on 2 months on the 19th. Your opinion includes many thoughts which I have thought of but, I just simply cannot make a decision to assume Halo Wars 1 is better because it took 4 months for HW1 to make it perfect. All games have balance issues at releases and they will be addressed. Halo Wars 1 came out in 2009. Lots of players did not purchase this game until the course of its 8 years (2009-2017). Maybe in 2025, you will look back to say, wow Halo Wars 2 was balanced, they had this, this and this.
I agree that at this point hw 1 is far superior of a game but this one has the potential to become a far better game than hw 1 it all depends on how they balance out the leaders and units but as of now if you are not using kisano atriox or shipmaster you will lose to the person that is using them if you are both equally skilled
I agree that at this point hw 1 is far superior of a game but this one has the potential to become a far better game than hw 1 it all depends on how they balance out the leaders and units but as of now if you are not using kisano atriox or shipmaster you will lose to the person that is using them if you are both equally skilled
Yeah but hw 1 fixed problems much quicker it did not take 2 months to fix prophet and warthogs it has taken 2cmonths and jackrabbit and locust still not fixed that is what has me worried but I do agree it has potential to be better
Overall I like HW2 more. HW1 had a better story and balancing, but the times have changed. When HW2 gets balanced, it'll be on par imo
After 9 years of hw1, I can say most of the long time players probably appreciate the new game. I loved hw1. I think this one is even more fun.

Hw2 is a better game. I have no complaints.

And anders got plenty of attention in the story, so rock on, 343. Lurve you guys!!
The only thing wrong with the original Halo Wars is that Gauss hogs still need a Nerf on its DPS against vehicles. Also tanks auto targeting prioritize air units before ground which is a nuisance to deal with that gives Gauss an edge in head to head engagements.
Well I agree with some things but A. vamps in 1 needed to go, let's be honest here. Anti-air being air is insane and deserves a change. Not fair at all when they are litterally the same unit type. I also can't be the only one that thinks that.

B. Sentinels have been nerfed adequately. Are you suggesting that air move at the pace of marines? Because that is what it sounds like you are suggesting. That makes no sense because well, air is and should be faster than all other types of units because they have nothing to impede their movement.
The Tanks were overpowered in Halo Wars 1. Also Scorpions should of never been stronger then Grizzlies which was the case. So I would say that game was far from balanced. Still it was more balanced then Halo Wars 2 is in its current state.

My personal gripe is the lack of early game variety in it's current state. Your stuck with few viable openers in competitive play while in previous game there were multiple options for Covie at least, not so much UNSC you built hogs or you lost early.

Also another huge problem I have is the large amount of leader powers with no counter play. I really enjoyed the Distruption bomb in the original game it was a good defensive as well as aggressive option to attack an opponent. In this game you are defenseless against leader powers they just happen all you can do is hope your units are fast enough and moving in the right direction to avoid it. Not much counter play at all in the way a D-Bomb was.

Also Turrets should not be a substitute for an army until upgraded via armory for later in the game. Early on they should be nothing more then support to your actual army. It's ridiculous in it's current state that you can turtle up with 2-3 turrets and no units against an early game army and be ok
Are we sure about Halo Wars 1 being the most balanced of the games? I'd go so far as to say they've actually fixed most of the problems concerning units, and leader powers, and taking some of the diversity out meant for a more stable environment to take care of, and give maintenance on. That's a poor argument but at least there's a reason, reason as well for things like Vampires not being in the game, which by the way, Vampire is potentially the most viable unit if 343 wants to throw-back these missed units with new leaders! What did it bring to the table other than a mismatched Anti Air (Air Unit?).
Also, I'm not trying to be evil here, believe me I adored the design for the Vampire as well.
Secondly, in Halo Wars 1, At least in my experience, spamming one type of unit was the way to go, and even than MAYBE add one more to the arsenal, namely Scorpions, and maybe marines. Gotta be honest, I wasn't there at launch, but all time after the game kind've dosed off, that's all I saw every game! Spamming!
Spamming marines, spamming Cobras, spamming Brutes, spamming Hornets, spamming whatever you can get, and as my experience has gone, nothing has changed, haha!
BUT, with this added addition to allow all units to train faster, the counter triangle has been more utilized for Reacting, and making armies all in all has pretty much sped up, and this isn't a bad thing cause it encourages counter, something that negates that spam.
I guess it's just preference as well but that Unit Speed up has also made me consider varying my army a lot more than I did before.

Other than these things, dudester, I have no problem bringing back the disruption bomb, or Cryo bomb, I would love, again, A throw back with Vampires and Jackals, and other things like map control devices. I guess in my experience I love Halo Wars 2 a lot better because its format is exactly like Halo Wars 1, only we got a new, very quick and fun mode (Pay-to-win, I know, but I don't know man, I'VE been having fun!), all the old modes, and than some coming later, its a blast for me!
Sorry that you can't enjoy it, and I totally understand your argument, its just my stupid opinion, haha!
As the covenant the only two kinds of units you needed to win in HW1 were the hunters and the vampires. I'm glad vampires are gone. Totally agree with you on the disruption bomb, though, it is desperately needed!
I played Halo Wars 1 a lot. Like more than 400 hours a lot. I loved that game. But I think we might be romanticizing it a bit here. For one, there was plenty of spamming units in HW1. For months the warthog rush was one of the most prevalent strategies in the game. Leader powers do a play an out sized role in HW2 but they were a major component of HW1. Four Mac Blasts from Cutter could destroy an entire scarab and ODST drop could be used to create an army on the field at anytime. The prophet hero unit was hideously overpowered and was often used as a substitute for an entire army.

Halo Wars 2 is miles better for many reasons! But the main thing I love most about HW2 compared to HW1 is that HW2 actually incentivizes producing an army that is diverse in unit types. The fact that units die quickly when their counter is present on the battlefield means that is essential to include several unit types in your army and it also means that you must micro the battles with greater attention to keep them alive. The game also allows you to build marines to conduct early game operations across the map without committing you to building infantry.

Because of the way upgrades worked in Halo Wars 1, once you decided on a unit type there was a strong incentive to stick with it. Leader choice revealed a lot about what types of units UNSC leaders were going to build because of the super unit dynamic. These factors made people's strategies more predictable and rigid.

Having said that, anti air units could use some attention. Something like volley for wolverines and reavers would be appreciated.
Also the rock paper scissors dynamic was not properly rolled out in HW1. No one really built marines or grunts as a soft counter to air. Now, just 5 or 6 marines can take down a vulture easily.
I just hope that they include more fun and tactical game modes and functions to the game. Like more covers & buildings your units can sit in, as well as reinforcements game mode ! Gosh that was a blast !!!
I agree with your conclusion, but not how you got there. Warthogs were imbalanced. That much is obvious. Forge was underpowered and Prophet was almost completely useless. Vampires were terrible and I can't thank CA enough for cutting them from the game. The concept of anti-air air is ridiculous. If you've ever played a high-level Covie mirror, you'd know that. Nothing another Covenant player can do can beat Vampire spam besides Vampire spam. Grunts don't work. Wraiths don't work. Nothing works except more Vampires. Not only that, but Vampires are much more easily counterable by the UNSC in team games. The Wolverine completely dominates the Vampire. They're both anti-air, but the Wolverine has the advantage of not being an air unit. I love Ensemble, but this is the one issue I get fed up about. What the Hell were they thinking?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. I don't agree with your conclusion. The only thing I agree with is that Halo Wars 1 is better than Halo Wars 2.

EDIT 2: Warthogs are OP if used in tandem with Anders (due to faster upgrades and cut prices).
Sorry I stopped reading after you stated that what made Halo Wars 1 great was its balance....while I absolutely loved the game, it was so imbalanced its not even funny....
The Tanks were overpowered in Halo Wars 1. Also Scorpions should of never been stronger then Grizzlies which was the case. So I would say that game was far from balanced. Still it was more balanced then Halo Wars 2 is in its current state.

My personal gripe is the lack of early game variety in it's current state. Your stuck with few viable openers in competitive play while in previous game there were multiple options for Covie at least, not so much UNSC you built hogs or you lost early.

Also another huge problem I have is the large amount of leader powers with no counter play. I really enjoyed the Distruption bomb in the original game it was a good defensive as well as aggressive option to attack an opponent. In this game you are defenseless against leader powers they just happen all you can do is hope your units are fast enough and moving in the right direction to avoid it. Not much counter play at all in the way a D-Bomb was.

Also Turrets should not be a substitute for an army until upgraded via armory for later in the game. Early on they should be nothing more then support to your actual army. It's ridiculous in it's current state that you can turtle up with 2-3 turrets and no units against an early game army and be ok
Turrets are stupid in HW 2. It allows for way to much turtling. Too strong or too cheap or too turrety...
HW2 is better than the first and that comes from someone with 1500 HW1 hours. HW2 forces you to mixed up your army when the 1st was all grizzlies all hunters all hawks and of course warthog rushes.
I agree with your conclusion, but not how you got there. Warthogs were imbalanced. That much is obvious. Forge was underpowered and Prophet was almost completely useless. Vampires were terrible and I can't thank CA enough for cutting them from the game. The concept of anti-air air is ridiculous. If you've ever played a high-level Covie mirror, you'd know that. Nothing another Covenant player can do can beat Vampire spam besides Vampire spam. Grunts don't work. Wraiths don't work. Nothing works except more Vampires. Not only that, but Vampires are much more easily counterable by the UNSC in team games. The Wolverine completely dominates the Vampire. They're both anti-air, but the Wolverine has the advantage of not being an air unit. I love Ensemble, but this is the one issue I get fed up about. What the Hell were they thinking?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. I don't agree with your conclusion. The only thing I agree with is that Halo Wars 1 is better than Halo Wars 2.

EDIT 2: Warthogs are OP if used in tandem with Anders (due to faster upgrades and cut prices).

Idk what planet your on, but how you say the prophet was underpowered I can't understand. Get him to fly and some veterancy and it's game over. Vamps can be taken out by practically anything cause they can't do anything else. They're basically like hunters in the air with about as much firepower as a ghost, and they're basically glass. Forge was fine too. His leader power was the weakest, but his early game was strong with a better economy. Get a few fully veteran Spartans in a grizzley and good luck.

I agree that guass hogs were still overdone. They're ramming ability against hunters and being able to target air units all to well was frustrating. Still, they could be driven back and nothing wrong with s strong early game unit like that to keep you on your toes. Much like the covenant's banshee.

Idk what planet your on, but how you say the prophet was underpowered I can't understand. Get him to fly and some veterancy and it's game over. Vamps can be taken out by practically anything cause they can't do anything else. They're basically like hunters in the air with about as much firepower as a ghost, and they're basically glass. Forge was fine too. His leader power was the weakest, but his early game was strong with a better economy. Get a few fully veteran Spartans in a grizzley and good luck.

I agree that guass hogs were still overdone. They're ramming ability against hunters and being able to target air units all to well was frustrating. Still, they could be driven back and nothing wrong with s strong early game unit like that to keep you on your toes. Much like the covenant's banshee.
I think the part that was 'balanced' in HW1 was that every leader had an effective strategy that could be used to win. So there was no 'Kinsano unstoppable JR rush' or 'Atriox invincible locusts'. Anders could rule the game, but so could Arbiter, both early or late. I do disagree with the original point as a lot of balance within the units as other posters have indicated.

I played HW1 since its inception, but it had some issues as well, especially early on. The one thing I think HW2 is already ahead on is attention to the game and extra content. HW1 had a total of 4 3v3 maps (3 on release and one in a map pack you had to purchase until years after release that a lot of people didn't buy so it never appeared in the cycle). This game dropped with more (6). The bulk of the maps in HW1 was 1v1. HW1 started and ended with 6 leaders. There is a lot more variety in this game, and it seems the Devs are paying closer attention to it post launch. Give it time, things will get more balanced. I have already had some very epic battles in this game, and it seems the tide can be turned more frequently in this iteration than last. I hope this game has the staying power that 1 did, as 1 was great. It is time for a new iteration. They will tone down the abused strats so more can be played out... it will just take time.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4