Halo Wars 2 CSR Changes

OP Wrensi

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Hey everyone,

We’ve updated the Champion rank for both Halo Wars 2 and Halo 5 to begin at Onyx 1600 CSR in an effort to fine-tune the ranking system. We plan on keeping this change for the current Season and are looking to make further adjustments for next Season. If you have any feedback on this change, please leave your feedback here!

I'll keep everyone updated as we progress into the new system.

Thanks,
Wrensi
Cool, I like that the ranking system is a constant work in progress and is continually being looked at.
Thanks for the transparency.

Has the range for onyx been adjusted too or is it just 1500-1600?

When can we expect the next season to begin?
so many players are going place champ right off the start lmao
Looks like my grind just got a lot easier lol

Question though, what is the fine-tuning that you're looking into? To make sure MMR=CSR?
At least I got my champ back after 5 straight desyncs
So basically it will now be super easy to get number 1 champ in any playlist. Unless you also lower the maximum starting csr from 1700. As all you would have to do is get on the game the moment the new season starts and just resign your first 10 placement games, instant number 1 champ. If you end up lowering the max csr you can start out on to say 1500 csr to stop this then I see pretty much no benefit at the end of all this other than making champ even more of a joke to get into then it already is. I think there are other much serious issues in the ranking system. Particularly how it deals with smurfs in teams and other car/MMR adjustments along with matchmaking being a bit of a mess right now (don't know if the quick searching gold's has been fixed yet). If you or anyone else has suggested ways to overcome these issues please let me know as I definitely want to see improvements to ranking/matchmaking but this isolated change seems slightly ridiculous to me as especially in teams champ was very overcrowded and now 1s will suffer from this.
champion was already easy to get... I disagree that making champion 200 less csr is meaningful in the slightest. most complaints are dc's/crashes deducting 30 csr, smurfs, and csr/mmr point earnings that devalue ranked. making champ 1600 csr dosen't take any step foward in these issues. now onyx players are the new champions, champ has no meaning now. we have non champions in champion for the first time. oh wait.

given our population, halo 5s rank system won't work.
Yea so all I have to do today is log on to be champ in 2s 😀😁😂
I hoped for something like a "Trueskill 2 for HW2" announcement but I guess that's just unrealistic.
Anyways, I appreciate that the ranking system gets some attention.
Lowering the champion threshold cannot fix the smurfing issues as the CSR adjustments are still broken.
But smurfs might actually reach their goal faster which could, in the end, serve as cheap workaround.
what do you mean fine tuning?
the system is based on how much you play and not so much as skill so how would you refine grinding for rank?
You can never completely remove grinding without making a system that is exploitable.

They need to greatly reduce the search radius. Should never get a game with a difference of +/- 1 MMR (Sometimes you will not find a game)
They need to allow placement matches to place you anywhere, even above 1700 CSR.
They need to make CSR ranks completely fluid, for example being allowed to go below 1500.
They need to put an even higher priority on MMR difference being the main factor in +/- CSR.
CSR gain and loss should just go as follows:
1 > MMR Difference >= 0.9 | 1 CSR
0.9 > MMR Difference >= 0.8 | 2 CSR
0.8 > MMR Difference >= 0.7 | 3 CSR
0.7 > MMR Difference >= 0.6 | 4 CSR
0.6 > MMR Difference >= 0.5 | 5 CSR
0.5 > MMR Difference >= 0.4 | 6 CSR
and so on until...
0.1 > MMR Difference >= 0 | 10 CSR
Is that it? Nothing else behind the scenes? Man...
EiTeNeR wrote:
They need to greatly reduce the search radius.
I would love to see this as an advanced option. Truthfully I would rather it just not find me a game, then put me in with a rank 2 gold who is playing his 12th game. But by default it should keep increasing the search radius as it does.
I don't see what the huge issues and the world of complaint are about. If champ was designed before to essentially cap at the top 250 in a given playlist, then nothing has changed for you 1 percenters. Everybody who's throwing a tif about it not being as l33t anymore is still going to climb to their csr of over 9,000, and if theres 250 of you, keep the rest of us scrubs at onyx only or less anyways. Is it really that hard to see someone who you're better at this game than get a different emblem, when you know there's a number right next to it verifying their status in relation to yours?
I don't see what the huge issues and the world of complaint are about. If champ was designed before to essentially cap at the top 250 in a given playlist, then nothing has changed for you 1 percenters. Everybody who's throwing a tif about it not being as l33t anymore is still going to climb to their csr of over 9,000, and if theres 250 of you, keep the rest of us scrubs at onyx only or less anyways. Is it really that hard to see someone who you're better at this game than get a different emblem, when you know there's a number right next to it verifying their status in relation to yours?
There are large issues with matchmaking and ranking right now which are turning off high level players. One of the biggest complaints is how easy it is to get champ due to smurfing and ranking adjustments. People are annoyed because this doesn't actually fix any of those issues just makes it easier for smurfs to get champ and wreck others csr.
I know there is a lot of questions, but there will be more information coming from Josh Menke regarding the CSR changes soon.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Champs still matched up with golds neat-o
Yo thanks fam now mediocre players can grind a 0 MMR account to Champ in 4 and a half hours. Sounds good, leaderboards will represent player skill for sure.
It's temporary.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3