Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Halo wars 2 cutscene analysis

OP phattUncleDave

Hey, everybody, I decided to do an analysis of Halo wars 2's cutscenes. I am going to point out things that seemingly no else has talked about. Now these are merely my opinions, so keep that in mind, now I wont speak of wich has already been widely mentioned by others.

So, there are a few issues and I had whit the campaign. I will list them as the folowing.
1.The marines had compleatly diffrent armors in the CGI cutscenes and in game.
2.The Elites did not utilize any shields in the cutscenes, (much to my anoyance...) spartans neither (I believe that theres a lore reason for that, but don't qoute me on it!)
3. The spirit of fire's tech was way to advanced for its time, your telling me to believe that they their tech is 28 years out, yet they still use like advanced holotables moving one hologram to another via their own hands. While in the first Halo wars they had had most of their 'data' on physical screens.
4. When Atriox was about to be executed by an elite from an unknown rank, whit an armor chestpiece identical to that of Let'Volir, this particular also wielded a red energy sword. The other elites in the cutscene apeared to be of the rank of Minor, wich -in the case- it would be odd for them to wield energy swords, then again they could have been spec-ops elites, or they were just authorised whit energyswords, wich would explain why they were fighting so poorly and not a single brute was slain.
5. In the cutscene where Jerome boards the 'Enduring conviction'. The elites guarding the entrance of said ship, did not hold a powerfull stance while on active duty as one would expect. One of the elites point towards something and, instead of speaking, 'growels' to each other. I hold issues whit this...
6. Their armor were -exept for the helmets- identical to Let'Volir's armor. The chest piece, I did not mind, I honestly appreaciated it. I am not a big fan of how the H2A elites have exposed stomachs, ony covering it whit their undersuits, while Let's armor have a kind of 'scale' armor over the part of the stomach where the 'belly-muscles' resides.
How ever I didn't like that the elites helmets were very similiar to the 343i era elite helmets. On another note I wish the elites would have their necks covered it looks awkward whit the compleatly exposed neck. The same goes for their hands, at least give them a sort of 'hand protection', like they did in Halo Reach.
7. And lastly, the Enduring conviction convienently never fired a single round at the Spirit of fire. If you read through this most likly boring post, thank you.
Wow, no one seems to have seen this...
Hey, everybody, I decided to do an analysis of Halo wars 2's cutscenes. I am going to point out things that seemingly no else has talked about. Now these are merely my opinions, so keep that in mind, now I wont speak of wich has already been widely mentioned by others.

So, there are a few issues and I had whit the campaign. I will list them as the folowing.
1.The marines had compleatly diffrent armors in the CGI cutscenes and in game.
2.The Elites did not utilize any shields in the cutscenes, (much to my anoyance...) spartans neither (I believe that theres a lore reason for that, but don't qoute me on it!)
3. The spirit of fire's tech was way to advanced for its time, your telling me to believe that they their tech is 28 years out, yet they still use like advanced holotables moving one hologram to another via their own hands. While in the first Halo wars they had had most of their 'data' on physical screens.
4. When Atriox was about to be executed by an elite from an unknown rank, whit an armor chestpiece identical to that of Let'Volir, this particular also wielded a red energy sword. The other elites in the cutscene apeared to be of the rank of Minor, wich -in the case- it would be odd for them to wield energy swords, then again they could have been spec-ops elites, or they were just authorised whit energyswords, wich would explain why they were fighting so poorly and not a single brute was slain.
5. In the cutscene where Jerome boards the 'Enduring conviction'. The elites guarding the entrance of said ship, did not hold a powerfull stance while on active duty as one would expect. One of the elites point towards something and, instead of speaking, 'growels' to each other. I hold issues whit this...
6. Their armor were -exept for the helmets- identical to Let'Volir's armor. The chest piece, I did not mind, I honestly appreaciated it. I am not a big fan of how the H2A elites have exposed stomachs, ony covering it whit their undersuits, while Let's armor have a kind of 'scale' armor over the part of the stomach where the 'belly-muscles' resides.
How ever I didn't like that the elites helmets were very similiar to the 343i era elite helmets. On another note I wish the elites would have their necks covered it looks awkward whit the compleatly exposed neck. The same goes for their hands, at least give them a sort of 'hand protection', like they did in Halo Reach.
7. And lastly, the Enduring conviction convienently never fired a single round at the Spirit of fire. If you read through this most likly boring post, thank you.
1. I don't see why that matters in the slightest. It's just a slight change that has no effect on gameplay and cutscenes hold a higher Canon status than gameplay.

2. They may have had them powered down or not of had them in the first place. The Spartans have outdated suits meaning they don't have energy shielding. They only have it in gameplay as game mechanics.

3. It's a slight change, we do know they did have holographic displays during there era so it's not that far fetched.

4. The Sangheili we're most likely an Elite Kill Squad consisting of high ranking warriors. They were slaughtered so easily because they were caught off guard. They didn't see the other Jiralhanae as threats until it was too late.

5. Sangheili are somewhat reptilian in nature meaning they can probably communicate through guttural noises in combat situations to convey information quickly.

6. This is up to personal preference and I think they looked quite amazing.

7. They were trying to capture not destroy the ship.
Wow, no one seems to have seen this...
Because...

It's not really a big deal. Halo is at its most fun and beautiful when its details aren't being scrutinized and rotoscoped against what came before. These little differences are negligible, simply a matter of opinion, or are borne out of ignorance.

As cheesy as it sounds, Halo is art, and how that is realized will change with each changing group that renders, writes, and programs it. Keeping in-line with the lore as a strict doctrine becomes a burden for creativity.
I honestly liked the marines in the cutscenes...Never care about being different in game, there are art decision I can understand. In game, the sizes of a unit in screen, the composition, stance, proportion... there are a lot of factors.