Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Halo Wars 2 Deserves Support: We Deserve better

OP nuchey

The Halo Wars 2 community has been all but abandoned by 343i. For too long we have been treated like the red-headed step child of the Halo community. When support was canceled, 2 years after release, and the 343i defenders justified it with “it’s a spin-off game, it doesn’t matter” I was beyond disappointed.

Have we forgotten when the MCC was abandoned? The same people said “343i is busy working in Halo 5. Go play the OG games on the 360.” It was wrong to abandoned MCC then and it’s wrong to abandon HW2 now. Today MCC is flourishing with life - why? Because 343i invested time and basic support into it. The same should be said of HW2 - not to the same scale as MCC, but anything is better than nothing. It’s a really sad state of affairs when the community has to beg 343i to care about their games.

This game could see the following content added:
-Blitz skins added to deathmatch games - there are over a dozen blitz skins. The lockdown scorpion and wraith skins in particular are incredibly epic and beautiful.
-Basic balance changes and support: the spectator bug is one of the worst bugs because it kills streams and tournaments. There are numerous balance changes that could be added, Decimus continues to be a problem - this could be a whole discussion thread in itself.
-Eco system change - this game is too focused on player ecosystem, in particular supplies take way too many buildings to get a sufficient income. It would be interesting if ranked had a different income rate than team war.
-Flood leader - I have personally played the flood leader mod on the PC for about 2 years now, it is not OP. There are only a handful of units that can actually steal enemy units, and it’s not something that breaks the game by any means. There are more than enough assets in the game - in fact there are cut content units like infected grizzly tanks and infected grunts. There are enough flood assets that there were two flood leaders for a long time: a UNSC flood leader and a Banished Flood leader. Please 343i, the assets are already there, it’s just a matter of moving them around.
The Yappening - When 343i added a fun OP meme mode back in April of 2018, it was some of the most fun I’ve had with the game to date! It’s a shame some in community complained about it for its entire 4 day duration, and I was afraid that would deter 343i from putting in the effort to make it a permanent optional game mode; alas there are so many players who would love just a fun wacky mode to mess around in. The Yappening has been in MCC more times than HW2 and that’s just a hard pill to swallow. YapYap is a HW2 character, his event should be in HW2 as well as MCC.
New Maps - This is by far the biggest request I hear, while it would be a big investment, new maps, in particular a new terminus firefight map, would help extend the life of this game.

In closing, even one of these additions from the list would breathe new life into the game. Halo Wars 2 is not a dead game but it has been dying for awhile. It was wrong to abandon MCC just like it is wrong for 343i to abandon HW2. We were told support could return after the MCC was ported to PC. We’ve patiently waited for almost two years and with Halo Wars 2’s 4 year anniversary coming up it would be great if we actually got some love this year. So please 343i, come back to us, your community misses you.

What do you think, if 343i did return what would you like to see tackled first?
Flood faction for sure would bring me back to HW2.
I agree. Maybe also adding a Forerunner leader or at least something along those lines. Maybe add some cut units to the roster?
Bueno, aunque la barrera del idioma puede fuerte, yo muestro mi interés como fan incondicional del halo, y se me hace triste el hecho de que no hagan nada para mejorar uno de sus mejores productos, el simple hecho de que hubo veces de que halo wars no tuvo servidores por una cantidad considerable de dias, poca atención en balancear el juego, ignorar la petición de agregar el juego a steam.

Además hay errores que afectan la jugabilidad, desde no poder elegir lider, no destruir los edificios de un aliado que abandone la partidas, muchas fallas en modo espectador al no tener la configuración del control en por defecto; y asi podria seguir.

Ni la hacen, el enemigo principal de Halo Infinite son los desterrados y ni se habla de halo wars 2, no sabemos una conclusión de la historia de sus personajes (spirit of fire). No hay modos de juego que bien se podría haber incluido, como infección, captura la bandera y otros modos que mejor la comunidad de modders de pc hacen. Dejando de lado la pobre cantidad de mapas y modificaciones de juego que es solo suministros, tiempo y craneos.

Bueno, esperemos y hagan algo pronto, actualmente ya casi no juego mas que nexo, por que es imposible encontrar las partidas de fortalezas y objetivos. ya que aburre mucho jugar al mismo modo competitivo una y otra y otra vez
Personally, I would like to see an effort to make the UNSC more comparable to the Banished as far as balance goes. As, generally speaking, let's be real here. There are for more reasons to play Banished than UNSC and Banished leaders tend to be overall better. Part of this can be attributed to bugs like Decimus as mentioned by Nuchey. Groups such as Team Respawn, a prominent HW2 YouTuber. Have captured video evidence of these bugs and even claimed to have submitted them to be fixed. Bugs such as Decimus units being able to heal just because they want to. Even though the passive siphon ability is supposed to be a leach not self-heal.

At the moment I would not like to request anything as radically game-changing as a new faction, which can shake up the already unbalanced and slightly buggy game. I think the best move would be to bring the game to Steam so that many many more people can enjoy the experience. It is a move that was shown to be massively successful with other Halo games. Also, let's be honest, RTS is predominantly a PC title. You can already play the game on PC. It would just make sense to sell it on one of the biggest PC gaming marketplaces. After that, I think a good move would be bug fixes primarily so the game is more level. This could be a great place to start because it would not only encourage a player base to stick around. As they would feel their requests have been heard. It would also make the game just overall better, combined with ports to Steam could majorly boost sales. Which would then justify moving a team over to work on HW2 again, at which point the more crazy ideas like Forerunner or Flood factions are more plausible.

This brings me to the unfortunate reality, the HW2 team isn't actually around at the moment. 343 moved them to work on... I believe MCC... With plans to then send them to Halo Infinite. As that game is the current prime project for them. From what I heard. Infinite is planned to be a 10-year experience after launch, along the lines of the Destiny series when it comes to post-launch support. This does create a few problems which are why the company needs a monetary incentive to look HW2's way especially after they already rejected the idea for the third game. Even though someone had made a good few assets and concept art just to pitch it to them. With that dreary section out of the way. I would like to expand upon some of the ideas you guys suggested before I wrap this up.

For the Forerunner faction:
343 Guilty Spark
Didact
Cortana
Offensive Bias
031 Exuberant witness
The Librarian

All are potential options for commanders, continuity was damned the moment they added Forge anyway. Then Johnson and even Arbiter. Units wise they could use the already existing array of sentinels see in-game and the series as a whole. As well as the Prometheans. They could even use some of that cut concept art for things like the Forerunner tank that was planned to be in the newer FPS games. Crawlers would be base infantry with Soldiers as your 'barracks' core. Similar to YapYap's dynamic with cannon fodder and heavy grunts. You can then have the Knights as anti-armor. Watchers as de facto healer/support. Phaeton as core air. There are mods out there already for a Forerunner inspired faction, you could literally just pay them for their hard work if you really wanted. Then just integrate it yourself.

For the Flood:
Gravemind
032 Mendicant Bias
Prophet of Regret
Captian Keyes

The only reason I see a Flood faction as an obstacle is the whole host of problems it introduces native to adding a new faction to a finished game. Concerning balancing. This is why I think the best argument I have heard in support of it, is to make it only available in non-competitive modes. Such as skirmish, people won't really care about the balance factor in such a scenario. They will just be happy they can play as the Flood. The assets are in the game for the most part too, you could recycle so much of that stuff made for Awakening the Nightmare. People have already done just that as well, even making unique assets to cover the gaps. It just needs that official support and backing and it wouldn't be that hard. Unless they try full implementation which would require, of course, cracking down on all the bugs as is. Then the extreme polish of adding a new faction. Which would have been an issue with the Forerunners too.

Lastly, I would like to suggest making good use of as many already in-game assets as possible. The ODST hero units from Spearbreaker, for example. Could just be utilized from anything simple as a hero unit to a full-on new commander. This ties in with Nuchey also stating that Blitz has a lot of stuff only used in that mode. Which extends beyond cosmetics even if that was their focus. One of the greatest things appreciated by fans, from what I have noticed. Is detail, the little things. The kind of stuff that shows that you care.

Concluding, I want to thank anyone who took the time to read any of this. I would like to state I am no expert on the state of Halo Wars or any of that so I apologize if I got some details wrong. Feel free to correct me. I normally do not post on waypoint, I just wanted to get this out there. As the only way, there is even a chance for change is if we all add our voices to the mix. Being respectful is important but equally so is having a great sum of people sharing this one common desire. Have a good one!
Flood faction for sure would bring me back to HW2.
Agree with this 100%
nuchey wrote:
The Halo Wars 2 community has been all but abandoned by 343i. For too long we have been treated like the red-headed step child of the Halo community. When support was canceled, 2 years after release, and the 343i defenders justified it with “it’s a spin-off game, it doesn’t matter” I was beyond disappointed.

Have we forgotten when the MCC was abandoned? The same people said “343i is busy working in Halo 5. Go play the OG games on the 360.” It was wrong to abandoned MCC then and it’s wrong to abandon HW2 now. Today MCC is flourishing with life - why? Because 343i invested time and basic support into it. The same should be said of HW2 - not to the same scale as MCC, but anything is better than nothing. It’s a really sad state of affairs when the community has to beg 343i to care about their games.

This game could see the following content added:
-Blitz skins added to deathmatch games - there are over a dozen blitz skins. The lockdown scorpion and wraith skins in particular are incredibly epic and beautiful.
-Basic balance changes and support: the spectator bug is one of the worst bugs because it kills streams and tournaments. There are numerous balance changes that could be added, Decimus continues to be a problem - this could be a whole discussion thread in itself.
-Eco system change - this game is too focused on player ecosystem, in particular supplies take way too many buildings to get a sufficient income. It would be interesting if ranked had a different income rate than team war.
-Flood leader - I have personally played the flood leader mod on the PC for about 2 years now, it is not OP. There are only a handful of units that can actually steal enemy units, and it’s not something that breaks the game by any means. There are more than enough assets in the game - in fact there are cut content units like infected grizzly tanks and infected grunts. There are enough flood assets that there were two flood leaders for a long time: a UNSC flood leader and a Banished Flood leader. Please 343i, the assets are already there, it’s just a matter of moving them around.
The Yappening - When 343i added a fun OP meme mode back in April of 2018, it was some of the most fun I’ve had with the game to date! It’s a shame some in community complained about it for its entire 4 day duration, and I was afraid that would deter 343i from putting in the effort to make it a permanent optional game mode; alas there are so many players who would love just a fun wacky mode to mess around in. The Yappening has been in MCC more times than HW2 and that’s just a hard pill to swallow. YapYap is a HW2 character, his event should be in HW2 as well as MCC.
New Maps - This is by far the biggest request I hear, while it would be a big investment, new maps, in particular a new terminus firefight map, would help extend the life of this game.

In closing, even one of these additions from the list would breathe new life into the game. Halo Wars 2 is not a dead game but it has been dying for awhile. It was wrong to abandon MCC just like it is wrong for 343i to abandon HW2. We were told support could return after the MCC was ported to PC. We’ve patiently waited for almost two years and with Halo Wars 2’s 4 year anniversary coming up it would be great if we actually got some love this year. So please 343i, come back to us, your community misses you.

What do you think, if 343i did return what would you like to see tackled first?
Honestly, the biggest things in my opinion would be adding it to Steam, and fixing the networking, so many games ruined by random desync, disconnects, etc. And matchmaking bans would be nice, so many times have I matchmade with two low levels who immediately leave and screw me over, anything to deter people from leaving a game in progress would be great
Fix server stability
Remove broke Yap heal
Another FF map

my top three!
  • Rebalance infantry so they are viable late game
  • buff AA
  • nerf core air
  • make turrets actually useful
  • make the game less cheese-rushing and more proper army comp based
  • less nuke powers
  • buff UNSC
  • more upgrades for various units
  • make unit type upgrades a 15% increase to HP and damage instead of 10% so they are actually worthwhile