2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 32
Minus the forge hog and Serena. Balance is pretty good in the game right now. However I have noticed a glitch when I was playing as colony. I don't know how often it occurs but when I grabbed hunters brand level 2 while the ability was on cool down. The meter jumped up significantly and was ready for use much sooner than it should have been. I've also noticed a different problem where their is a larger delay between when a support power comes off of cooldown and when the power is actually ready to be used. I think the worst delay I've seen was about 10 seconds after its cooldown had finished before I could actually use the power.
NO. IT. ISN'T.
Care to elaborate on what you mean?
Theres are heroes that just aren't viable.
Kinsano
Anders
Isabel
Decimus
Johnson
Anders is viable most definetly, especially late game.
Decimus is also very viable, i main decimus so i should know.
Johnson is also viable aswell, just has a higher skillcap and maybe just maybe slight tweaking.
Isabel i am unsure
Kinsano is almost there too.
Also i am unsure if your aware but some games just arent coming up, as in people on placement matches are completing matches that arent registering as losses nor wins at all
A lot of people moan that each leader isn't viable but all I seem to go up against is grunt/marine rushes, some leaders are better at this than others Jerome *cough cough* but I think to combat the rush problem without changing any units drastically is make Turrets good again, in HW1 you could have 2 turrets and hold off a leader and infantry rush, granted that infantry was weak in HW1. Also allowing turrets to be upgraded for 150 energy instead will make them even better or just make this change instead of the first.

Serina - needs a nerf but only slightly, without her freezing ability she is pretty weak.

Colony - in a good spot probably the most balanced leader IMO.

Forge - reduce Forgehog Y damage, its far too strong, I don't have a problem with his gauss damage. Scatter bomb still takes too long to start damaging but it is a lot better.

Cutter - feels more balanced, I have seen a lot more people using a variety of tactics with cutter now and not just infantry spam. I would replace Hero unit with the ODST leaders from Spearbreaker to feel more unique.

Anders - Feels perfect now her sentinels do more damage and cost 3 pop, R&D changes work brilliantly, just wish she had Hawks still. Hero unit needs a buff to bring it in line with other heroes.

Kinsano - Inferno needs to do a big more impact damage IMO, unit drops with hellcharge is still strong, would say her hero unit needs either a DPS buff or health buff.

Isabel - New hero unit or buff same as anders, Hero unit far too weak, is vulnerable early game but still strong late game.

Johnson - Colossus still needs a buff far too weak for the cost, too expensive, too slow, too much pop cost, needs stronger leader powers other than EMP Mac and Bunker drop there isn't much to use.

The Arbiter - The conduit of rage should be moved to T1 leader power to make more use of the ability, swap with teleport? Phantoms need a slight buff in HP. Other than that I think he is stong.

Decimus - The worst banished leader by far, needs a complete rework IMO his decimus drop is still far too weak, siphon doesn't do enough, just very weak leader overall.

Atriox - reduce the time Dying Breath keeps units "alive" for, reduce damage for Eradication, I would make Bulwark heal less overall as well but keep the invulnerability.

Shipmaster - my favourite leader, I would change displacement to be more expensive and have a longer cooldown as that is his main pro, but reduce the cooldown of his glassing beam to compensate,

Jerome - Omega team having inspire as well is my main problem, I am fine with them hijacking units and being essentially extra heroes but inspire should be kept for Jeromes hero only. His Enduring Salvo much like forges scatter bomb takes too long to do damage, I also find it rather weak.

UNSC changes -
Make wolverines do more damage per volley, still being outclassed by aircraft.
Would make Snipers require 100 energy as they aren't really used after an initial rush.
Hornets, reduce DPS much like banshees were Hornets are now too strong and can beat AA.
Nightingales should be tech 1 like engineers or move engineers to tech 2 to balance.
Cyclops' need to be programmed so they don't all clump together and get killed by the same canister shell, makes them useless against Tanks (which they should lose too anyway but not instantly)
Kodiaks need a damage buff, meant to be anti infantry but infantry still steamrolls them.

Banished Changes -
Require line of sight for all Teleport excluding displacement.
Make Reavers 4 pop like Wolverines and increase DPS.
Buff Wraiths not many people go Wraiths as a viable option as they are too weak.
Buff Marauders as they are too weak for their cost and cannot remember anyone using them.
Um just wondering. Have ever played Decimus?
Vortex? Warlord?
Hey, I dont post here much but felt like I needed to give my feedback.

HEROES UNITS NEED A NERF
Iv noticed how early game hero rushing has become more prominent in high level play, Rushing isn't the worst thing..
However some of the Hero units are so overpowered early game they make anti rushing impossible. An example of this is Atriox's chosen! he can 1 shot almost anything early/mid game with sniper like accuracy (EVEN TANKS) and the HP of some of these Hero units is insane, requiring you to make a minimum of 5 snipers to have a chance.
Iv been rushed and rushed players at the 3min mark with just 6 grunt squads and a Hero and won. (This is at High Diamond rank also)

Simple fix
Make the upgrades more expensive and offer SLIGHTLY less HP/DMG%. Doing this makes some of the upgrades harder to obtain early in the game, giving players a smaller chance to have some anti rush units up.Since snipers are expensive, anti infantry turrets take a while to build.

Broken
Atriox's chosen - (early/mid) massive range and damage, hard to counter early to mid game.
Arbiter - (mid game/late) large amount of health after upgrades.
Honor Guard - (early game) has a lot of shield/hp early game.

Balanced hero's
everything else :)
1) Remove diminishing returns or at very make the rate it decreases smaller per pad. Expanding is not as rewarding as it should be and having fewer bases than your opponent should actually be punishing. I have played a ton of games where a player turtling with 1 base could keep up or almost keep up with my army and economy when I had 2 or 3 bases. It needs to be addressed.
2) Buff Decimus' boundless siphon or give him Colony's last leader point. Personally, I could not even tell if boundless siphon was working when I was playing Decimus. Colony has one of the strongest passives in the game and I think it makes more sense that Decimus has it because it fits his style. He needs passives that can actually make up for active leader powers and with how the game is currently boundless siphon can't do that.
3) Hornets are too good right now and need to be adjusted.
4) Grunts are still awful and need to be addressed. How does it make sense that they have less health than marines and a worthless y ability?
5) forge hog... lol
I love halo wars, loved the first and love the second. However, the game has turned into "who can get the overpowered heroes first". Winning is totally dependent on who your hero is, and how fast you get them. For example, forge or serina's hero, is basically equal an instant win unless you are also forge or serina and counter their hero with your hero. I also have noticed that certain heroes are much much much stronger than others. For example, kinsano, ander's hero, cutter's hero, and the hunter captain are very weak compared to jerome, forge, serina, arbiter, ect. There is just a big gap between good heroes and meh heroes. Besides all that, i love the game. Thanks.
aD Lunchy wrote:
Hey, I dont post here much but felt like I needed to give my feedback.

HEROES UNITS NEED A NERF
Iv noticed how early game hero rushing has become more prominent in high level play, Rushing isn't the worst thing..
However some of the Hero units are so overpowered early game they make anti rushing impossible. An example of this is Atriox's chosen! he can 1 shot almost anything early/mid game with sniper like accuracy (EVEN TANKS) and the HP of some of these Hero units is insane, requiring you to make a minimum of 5 snipers to have a chance.
Iv been rushed and rushed players at the 3min mark with just 6 grunt squads and a Hero and won. (This is at High Diamond rank also)

Simple fix
Make the upgrades more expensive and offer SLIGHTLY less HP/DMG%. Doing this makes some of the upgrades harder to obtain early in the game, giving players a smaller chance to have some anti rush units up.Since snipers are expensive, anti infantry turrets take a while to build.

Broken
Atriox's chosen - (early/mid) massive range and damage, hard to counter early to mid game.
Arbiter - (mid game/late) large amount of health after upgrades.
Honor Guard - (early game) has a lot of shield/hp early game.

Balanced hero's
everything else :)
Sorry but honor guard is trash until late game
The Arbiter - The conduit of rage should be moved to T1 leader power to make more use of the ability, swap with teleport? Phantoms need a slight buff in HP. Other than that I think he is stong.

Decimus - The worst banished leader by far, needs a complete rework IMO his decimus drop is still far too weak, siphon doesn't do enough, just very weak leader overall.
How would swapping conduit of rage and teleport make it so that you get more use out of conduit? It specifically requires other powers to be used, so if it's the only power you have then it's useless until the next leader point. Currently, you get the normal use of teleport or stasis mines while waiting on conduit, and when you finally get it you already have a means of activating it.

Decimus is FAR from being the worst Banished leader. Honestly they're all in good shape so none are bad. Decimus in particular has Vortex and Warlord to help him dominate early game. Vortex wrecks infantry and heavily stuns/debuffs leaders while Warlord is one of the strongest leaders in the game. His ultimate passive is one of the best passives (right there with Colony's healing) and his siphon ability is great in combat. Seriously, I'm more scared of Decimus banshees than Colony banshees.
How come the human snipers are at such a high energy cost. Since most of the game now revolves around Hero's and infantry, wouldn't it be best to have them earlier, because that 150 cost can set back so many people 150 is a tad much for a weak unit, hero's one shot them most of the time? As well why are Spartans hero's still so weak compared to other heroes? Yes the snipers get much more range but couldn't it be drop down by 30 or so points. Rangers have the same range but got speed and can fire while shooting so at less give the snipers a lower cost.
ske7ch wrote:
Hey folks - With the Serina DLC and latest update out the door I wanted to attempt to focus a conversation and gather current feedback about Halo Wars 2. I know this forum is filled with hundreds upon hundreds of threads - which we try to continuously skim and keep track of - but there's so much duplication and churn it can be very inefficient.

To help matters I'm creating a fresh thread to consolidate current feedback on the game. If you have something to share, please do! Please be as constructive and detailed as possible.1. What are your biggest concerns with the current meta? How are the other leaders? How's unit balance?
2. What's at the top of your wish list for future updates?
3. Do you have any questions to ask of the development team?

Note that we're aware of the Forge and Serina sentiment - no need to continuously re-post that to this thread.Thanks in advance for sharing feedback and my apologies if this makes some folks have to re-type feedback they've already recently provided. Truth is the Waypoint forums are unwieldy and messy and aren't always the best conduit for ongoing player dialog.

thanks!
I use to play halo wars 2 everyday since it came out but in the last week i haven't touched the game only for 1 reason... i lose rank when i get disconnected from the server or internet. I understand that if u made it so we wouldn't lose CSR if disconnected everyone would just disconnect themselves from the internet intentionally but even, for me i just don't see myself playing this game anymore because i play 4-5 games then i get disconnected once and i lost CSR equivalent to 4-5 games and its not even my fault. This had brought the life out of the game for me. I dont see myself coming back until you guys can figure out a way to fix that.
Lets see some new skins and prestige modes and maps... amp this game up abit... its getting boring and repetitive. Add stuff in like this, kinda like cod prestige... and skins to pimp out the looks of your troops or base... and new maps!!! We all want that.
1. Balancing could be improved as far as ranking goes. Ive been put up against level 25+ players while im a lvl 7 again and again. Also some of the super units should cost more pop. Leaders are cool with me so far. Unit balance is ok for the most part.
2. Update wishlist: New leaders that bring with them different looking architecture (for example: a covenant leader that when selected will have structures that look like the covenant structures in halo wars 1) More expansions that continue the main story. More multiplayer maps. Maybe a new multiplayer game type?
3. Would you guys (343) have any plans to incorporate Halo Wars 2 to Halo 5 in the form of getting certain armor pieces, skins, and req pack for certain actions in halo wars 2?
Baker481 wrote:
Lets see some new skins and prestige modes and maps... amp this game up abit... its getting boring and repetitive. Add stuff in like this, kinda like cod prestige... and skins to pimp out the looks of your troops or base... and new maps!!! We all want that.
I +1 this awesome idea! prestige mode is a really good idea to really keep the game going and skins would be awesome as long as they dont get too insane and childish looking *cough* cod *cough*
Blitz Changes Only:
Okay so right now, the meta for blitz 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 is Shipmaster/Atriox for the most part. to change that UNSC will need some serious buffs. Because as of now they are almost useless with the exception of Kisano/Johnson team which is pretty viable but can still use some tweaks. I'm going to give suggestions for UNSC/Banished leaders as a whole then suggestions for each of them individually. 1st of all, changes in Blitz and Deathmatch shouldn't always carry over without been looked into in both playlist since they both rquire very different play styles.
Banished- Not much needs to be addressed here since pretty much all the banished leaders are pretty viable. Except that marauders and banshees need a slight buff. but definitely marauders. right now marauders have no competitive use in either DM or Blitz. besides Shipmasters starting marauders, marauders are completely useless. Maybe a buff in damage or health can make them viable enough. Banshees in Blitz lack in both health and dps. they get melted too fast before they can dish out any meaningful damage. I think an increase from 60 to 70 energy and a slight buff to damage and/or health can make banshees a much more viable unit and spice things up a bit in Blitz since no one really uses them for competitive use as of now. thats pretty much it for banished.
UNSC- The reason why UNSC are lacking in competitive use are due to many reasons. right now the meta for blitz is Hunters/Elite rangers/Assault elite army comp. those are the main units used as banished with maybe a locust,wraith or reaver thrown into the mix. And because of how weak UNSC vehicles are, they are forced to go infantry. and they only have one viable anti-infantry unit (Snipers) snipers are pretty good but only one viable anti-infantry unit is not going to cut it against a 4 or 5 elite rangers and a wraith. to fix this issue, you can either add another sniper like with Jerome(have all the leaders have access to veteran snipers) Or you can make tanks a more viable unit. Right now tanks have no use in blitz because of how slow and little damage they dish out. Wraiths are much better in comparison to tanks. Either a buff in health and speed or a energy cost of 90/100 instead of 110 can make scorpions much more viable against the meta(Banish infantry spam). Okay now guard units. guard units for UNSC are really bad compared to what Banish has. Banished have guard Wraiths and Atriox has guard hunters. both pretty tanky units. throw a couple of engineers with those guard units and it will be very hard to kill. But all UNSC has is a guard warthog which doesn't even stay with your army when you move and dies way too quick and an armored marine which cost a whopping 100 energy and also dies extremely quick. Anders is the only one with a spartan guard but it cost way too much to be useful in competitive play. To fix this issue, UNSC will need better guard units. A guard scorpion for 120/130 energy or even a guard vulture for 170/180 energy or hornet for 100/110 energy would be a very cool idea since there are no air guard units. Another suggestion for UNSC is for Trooper units to drop units of the same level as the trooper unit or else those units are completely useless and die immediately. A few other points, kodiaks need a slight buff in damage, hero units should have their energy cost slightly decreased, warthogs should stay with their army when you move them, same thing with choppers. like smallreddude1 said, add another rush unit like a marine drop or even a rush jackrabbit for 40/50 energy. oh and veteran jackrabbit cost too much for its use if it even has any.Trooper hog cost from 140 to 110/120. With these changes I believe UNSC will be much more versatile and will actually have use for competitive play
Okay now i'm gonna give a few suggestions for each leader individual that I believe will help balance Blitz a bit more.
1.Shipmaster- slightly nerf glassing beams damage or speed(destroys armies before you even know whats happening). As much as I hate to say it, increase teleport cost from 60 to 70/80. getting rid of sight in fog of war would just make this leader power useless. Decrease price of unstable banshee from 130 to 100/110 or give it a nice buff.(currently has no competitive use). slight buff to ghost health or damage, no reason to choose ghost over chopper even though ghost cost 10 energy more.
2.Atriox- Nerf Shockwave, last way too long for such little cost, if you don't have teleport then say good bye to your army. same deal with enduring blisterbacks as trooper units. slightly increase spike turrets range/damage or decrease cost to 70 energy.
3.Decimus- Pretty balanced leader over all. if anything maybe have BlastHammer do slight damage as well as slowing down your enemies.
  1. Colony- add hunters brand. Living wall needs a good buff or a decrease of cost from 70 to 40 energy if its gonna have any use. Sacred hunters cost 60 more energy than regular hunters but show no real change in damage or health. Either increase health and damage or even speed, or decrease cost from 100 to 80. skitter mob should have cost decrease from 110 to 90 if you want it to have any competitive use. other than that Colony is a nice leader and pretty balanced.
  2. Arbiter- Arbiter is probably the most viable dlc leader to come into blitz. But can still use a few tweaks. Stasis should last a little longer and shouldn't affect yours or allied units. Phantoms should have slight decrease in health. they are much more viable in blitz than they are deathmatch. conduct of rage cost increase from 60 to 70/80. plama bolt cost from 70 to 60.
  3. Forge- Reactive marines can potentially be useful with a nice health buff. maybe add a guard grizzly unit for 180 energy, might be a cool idea. Forge's Warthog 300% increase of anvil round should stay in blitz to make forge more viable.
  4. Kinsano- Pretty good UNSC leader but needs a buff for her flamehogs and leader, they both are useless as of right now.
8.Johnson- Bunker drop cost increase from 40 to 60 or a health drop. bunker is way too tanky. Mantis/colossus need a buff in speed and damage or make them a good counter against infantry, not vehicles, we already have 3 cyclops. Also add a mantis guard unit for a cost of 110/120 and replace with the scorpion. would work perfectly with mech overcharge ability and can make johnson a very versatile leader and not just a bunker spam like he is now.
9.Jerome- pretty good leader overall, maybe add in a rally Mastodan to make use of spartan moral.
10.Serina- ice barrier cost increase from 50 to 60/70 or only 2 drop instead of 3. Cryo bomb is better than Glacial storm and cost 60 energy less. buff Glacial Storm.
11.Cutter- Archer missiles need a good buff. double time cost reduce from 130 to 110 or should last a bit longer.
12.Isabelle(Considered to be the worst leader in blitz)-Lockdown Scorpion needs slight buff in health or cost from 150 to 130 energy if to be useful in high level blitz.mac blast cost reduce from 160 to 130. ghost of the machine drops to slow, can easily be avoided if your watching your army.
13.Anders- Ark defense needs buff and cost reduction from 140 to 110. worst leader power ever. maybe more variations of sentinels would be cool.
I know these are a lot of changes but if any of the UNSC leaders are gonna be used for high level blitz then some of these changes are needed. These changes will help balance Blitz and spice things up a bit.
Just reinstalled after a break and game won't sync at all wonder if it's a problem with servers won't connect to online servers at all.
Blitz Changes Only:Okay so right now, the meta for blitz 1v1, 2v2, and 3v3 is Shipmaster/Atriox for the most part. to change that UNSC will need some serious buffs. Because as of now they are almost useless with the exception of Kisano/Johnson team which is pretty viable but can still use some tweaks. I'm going to give suggestions for UNSC/Banished leaders as a whole then suggestions for each of them individually. 1st of all, changes in Blitz and Deathmatch shouldn't always carry over without been looked into in both playlist since they both rquire very different play styles.
Banished- Not much needs to be addressed here since pretty much all the banished leaders are pretty viable. Except that marauders and banshees need a slight buff. but definitely marauders. right now marauders have no competitive use in either DM or Blitz. besides Shipmasters starting marauders, marauders are completely useless. Maybe a buff in damage or health can make them viable enough. Banshees in Blitz lack in both health and dps. they get melted too fast before they can dish out any meaningful damage. I think an increase from 60 to 70 energy and a slight buff to damage and/or health can make banshees a much more viable unit and spice things up a bit in Blitz since no one really uses them for competitive use as of now. thats pretty much it for banished.
UNSC- The reason why UNSC are lacking in competitive use are due to many reasons. right now the meta for blitz is Hunters/Elite rangers/Assault elite army comp. those are the main units used as banished with maybe a locust,wraith or reaver thrown into the mix. And because of how weak UNSC vehicles are, they are forced to go infantry. and they only have one viable anti-infantry unit (Snipers) snipers are pretty good but only one viable anti-infantry unit is not going to cut it against a 4 or 5 elite rangers and a wraith. to fix this issue, you can either add another sniper like with Jerome(have all the leaders have access to veteran snipers) Or you can make tanks a more viable unit. Right now tanks have no use in blitz because of how slow and little damage they dish out. Wraiths are much better in comparison to tanks. Either a buff in health and speed or a energy cost of 90/100 instead of 110 can make scorpions much more viable against the meta(Banish infantry spam). Okay now guard units. guard units for UNSC are really bad compared to what Banish has. Banished have guard Wraiths and Atriox has guard hunters. both pretty tanky units. throw a couple of engineers with those guard units and it will be very hard to kill. But all UNSC has is a guard warthog which doesn't even stay with your army when you move and dies way too quick and an armored marine which cost a whopping 100 energy and also dies extremely quick. Anders is the only one with a spartan guard but it cost way too much to be useful in competitive play. To fix this issue, UNSC will need better guard units. A guard scorpion for 120/130 energy or even a guard vulture for 170/180 energy or hornet for 100/110 energy would be a very cool idea since there are no air guard units. Another suggestion for UNSC is for Trooper units to drop units of the same level as the trooper unit or else those units are completely useless and die immediately. A few other points, kodiaks need a slight buff in damage, hero units should have their energy cost slightly decreased, warthogs should stay with their army when you move them, same thing with choppers. like smallreddude1 said, add another rush unit like a marine drop or even a rush jackrabbit for 40/50 energy. oh and veteran jackrabbit cost too much for its use if it even has any.Trooper hog cost from 140 to 110/120. With these changes I believe UNSC will be much more versatile and will actually have use for competitive play
Okay now i'm gonna give a few suggestions for each leader individual that I believe will help balance Blitz a bit more.
1.Shipmaster- slightly nerf glassing beams damage or speed(destroys armies before you even know whats happening). As much as I hate to say it, increase teleport cost from 60 to 70/80. getting rid of sight in fog of war would just make this leader power useless. Decrease price of unstable banshee from 130 to 100/110 or give it a nice buff.(currently has no competitive use). slight buff to ghost health or damage, no reason to choose ghost over chopper even though ghost cost 10 energy more.
2.Atriox- Nerf Shockwave, last way too long for such little cost, if you don't have teleport then say good bye to your army. same deal with enduring blisterbacks as trooper units. slightly increase spike turrets range/damage or decrease cost to 70 energy.
3.Decimus- Pretty balanced leader over all. if anything maybe have BlastHammer do slight damage as well as slowing down your enemies.
  1. Colony- add hunters brand. Living wall needs a good buff or a decrease of cost from 70 to 40 energy if its gonna have any use. Sacred hunters cost 60 more energy than regular hunters but show no real change in damage or health. Either increase health and damage or even speed, or decrease cost from 100 to 80. skitter mob should have cost decrease from 110 to 90 if you want it to have any competitive use. other than that Colony is a nice leader and pretty balanced.
  2. Arbiter- Arbiter is probably the most viable dlc leader to come into blitz. But can still use a few tweaks. Stasis should last a little longer and shouldn't affect yours or allied units. Phantoms should have slight decrease in health. they are much more viable in blitz than they are deathmatch. conduct of rage cost increase from 60 to 70/80. plama bolt cost from 70 to 60.
  3. Forge- Reactive marines can potentially be useful with a nice health buff. maybe add a guard grizzly unit for 180 energy, might be a cool idea. Forge's Warthog 300% increase of anvil round should stay in blitz to make forge more viable.
  4. Kinsano- Pretty good UNSC leader but needs a buff for her flamehogs and leader, they both are useless as of right now.
8.Johnson- Bunker drop cost increase from 40 to 60 or a health drop. bunker is way too tanky. Mantis/colossus need a buff in speed and damage or make them a good counter against infantry, not vehicles, we already have 3 cyclops. Also add a mantis guard unit for a cost of 110/120 and replace with the scorpion. would work perfectly with mech overcharge ability and can make johnson a very versatile leader and not just a bunker spam like he is now.
9.Jerome- pretty good leader overall, maybe add in a rally Mastodan to make use of spartan moral.
10.Serina- ice barrier cost increase from 50 to 60/70 or only 2 drop instead of 3. Cryo bomb is better than Glacial storm and cost 60 energy less. buff Glacial Storm.
11.Cutter- Archer missiles need a good buff. double time cost reduce from 130 to 110 or should last a bit longer.
12.Isabelle(Considered to be the worst leader in blitz)-Lockdown Scorpion needs slight buff in health or cost from 150 to 130 energy if to be useful in high level blitz.mac blast cost reduce from 160 to 130. ghost of the machine drops to slow, can easily be avoided if your watching your army.
13.Anders- Ark defense needs buff and cost reduction from 140 to 110. worst leader power ever. maybe more variations of sentinels would be cool.
I know these are a lot of changes but if any of the UNSC leaders are gonna be used for high level blitz then some of these changes are needed. These changes will help balance Blitz and spice things up a bit.
Thumbs up!
Willko wrote:
I feel like the story in Halo Wars 2 was a huge step in the right direction for 343. But, like most things in life, there is always room for improvement. One thing I've noticed that holds back 343's storytelling is the constant focus on a singular enemy. In Halo Wars 2, we are introduced very early to Atriox and are reminded constantly throughout the game that the Banished belong to him. In Halo 4, we are introduced to The Didact, and reminded constantly that the Prometheans belong to him. In Halo 5, Cortana is made to be the new villain and it is made abundantly clear that she is the leader of the created.

That's one area where I feel like Bungie's storytelling was superior. In the Bungie games, we knew that Truth was the leader of the Covenant and the Gravemind was the leader of the Flood(except for in Halo CE because those characters weren't invented yet). But, the focus throughout the games were on fighting those factions as a whole. It was less about stopping Truth and more about stopping the Covenant. It was less about stopping Gravemind and more about stopping the Flood. With the 343 games, it feels more like the main goal is to stop one guy and his/her plans while the armies are nothing more than cannon fodder. In the Bungie games, the armies you faced felt like they had a unified goal that each and every troop was fighting for.

As I said, Halo Wars 2's story is a huge step in the right direction in that it doesn't rely on external media for the player to know what's going on. But, I wanted to throw out my two cents on how I would like to see the storytelling improved for future Halo games. I would like to see less emphasis on singular, named villains and more emphasis on the abstract whole of the enemy factions.
Brilliantly stated!
I think they made the right chose of putting halo wars 2 right after halo 5 because a lot of people weren't happy with the campaign and stuff like that so I think halo wars 2 made up for halo 5
It might just be me, but I didn't think Halo Wars 2's story was all that good. It was better written, yes, but it felt like half a game. Given I haven't actually bought it; I watched cutscenes on YouTube. It needs more context, more time spent with all characters for us to get to know them.
Anyone can correct me if they feel I'm wrong.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. 8
  6. 9
  7. 10
  8. ...
  9. 32