Forums / Games / Halo Wars 2

Halo Wars 2 Overall Story Rating

OP Captain Serowik

On a scale of 1 to 10, how good was the story telling for Halo Wars 2? Was it better than Halo 5 or about the same?
Better then halo 5's but not by that much I'd say a 7 out of 10
Solid 7
I think a 7 is a solid answer, it was exciting, especially in the beginning and the end but the middle area was a little bland as the cutscenes were allocated mostly to the beginning and end.
what Halo Wars 1 did REALLY well, was to keep us excited about the story throughout the entire game. It provided cutscenes that were long and engaging when needed.

HW2 felt a little underwhelming for me. it was unbelievable to me, at times.
Spoiler:
Show
i would give it a 6 out of 10.
I;m going to wait for the extra missions to drop before I make my judgement on it.

It was short in some aspects, but I was playing it on normal difficulty. I did enjoy it though. That is why I am waiting for some other missions to come out before I give my thoughts about it.
It's never explained how anyone knows what they do know and people's reactions to what should be shocking and revolutionary knowledge are nonexistent.

Humanity wasn't wiped out, we actually won!
Ok.
This is the Ark, one of the most impressive forerunner creations.

Ok.
These are Halos, they destroy all sentient life.
Ok. Let's disarm one then release it.

Apparently, good writing includes writing omniscient characters. I don't remember that in any Halo before 343, not even Ensemble did that! So, if 7/10 you mean it wasn't literally the worst told story you had personally experienced, such as Halo 5, then yeah 7/10. Ensemble did a better job on the first and only attempt at a Halo game because they didn't want to wipe the slate clean in terms of what Halo is.
It's never explained how anyone knows what they do know and people's reactions to what should be shocking and revolutionary knowledge are nonexistent.

Humanity wasn't wiped out, we actually won!
Ok.
This is the Ark, one of the most impressive forerunner creations.

Ok.
These are Halos, they destroy all sentient life.
Ok. Let's disarm one then release it.

Apparently, good writing includes writing omniscient characters. I don't remember that in any Halo before 343, not even Ensemble did that! So, if 7/10 you mean it wasn't literally the worst told story you had personally experienced, such as Halo 5, then yeah 7/10. Ensemble did a better job on the first and only attempt at a Halo game because they didn't want to wipe the slate clean in terms of what Halo is.
I do have to say that this was definitely one of my biggest complaints for HW2. There's no real time period given, so you don't really know how much time the events took place. Maybe it was like three months, and everyone had the chance to learn about what happened in the last 28 years.

Pretty wild that we don't even see one person's reaction to the war having won. Hell, if I went into a coma for 28 years and found out that my favorite baseball team won the world series five years ago, I'd be celebrating. Winning an intergalactic war is even more cause to celebrate! The crew just seems to take everything in stride for the sake of the story, all the while combating the forces on their doorsteps.
Halo Wars 2 is missing 2 extremely important things:

1: No one asks any questions after the third mission, and everyone just magically knows everything about the Ark, Halo, Human Covenent War etc. New cutscenes need to be added to the game for this. (We didn't even get to find out how the Ark teleported the Spirit of Fire to its location).

2: Not enough of Atriox is seen to care about him enough. We want to see much more of him to truly consider him a truly merciless, dangerous leader.
I'd give it an 8/10.

- Poor ending that did nothing to advance the main plot

- Underuse of Atriox and the Banished

- Not explaining things like how they got to Ark and Atriox plan

- Dues Ex Anders