Skip to main content

Forums / Games / Halo Wars Series

Halo Wars 2 ruined for me??

OP Watch lUl burN

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So I've never played the original halo wars game but I'm a die hard Halo fan. I'm wondering if getting the new one would be a good idea or not considering I know nothing of the story or even how to play it. What do you guys think? Should I just watch what I can on YouTube for the first one and then take it from there¿?
HW 1 was about the most simple RTS there is. It's not a problem if you haven't played it.
So was there like cut scenes and an actual story to it?
Look, I'm sorry if this is mean, but there is no way you are a diehard Halo fan if you have never played Halo Wars. A diehard fan would have preordered it the second they had chance, and played it until it was conquered (like me, with all achievements for all Halo games omitting MCC and Halo 5).

But to answer your question: of course there's a story! What would make you think there wasn't!?!? We need the second one the answer the damn legendary cliffhanger!!! Its not like MP only games we've been getting recently. The cutscenes were some of the most advanced around in games (at least from all my experiences), with some of the best Spartan fights!

buy a Halo wars. It's cheap, and easy to pick up/hard to master. Don't ruin it by watching cutscenes only, there's story points within missions as well. To consider buying the sequel without playing the original is heresy.
So was there like cut scenes and an actual story to it?
Yeah it was about some spartan 2's, the spirit of fire, flood and what happened on Harvest.
Look, I'm sorry if this is mean, but there is no way you are a diehard Halo fan if you have never played Halo Wars. A diehard fan would have preordered it the second they had chance, and played it until it was conquered (like me, with all achievements for all Halo games omitting MCC and Halo 5).

But to answer your question: of course there's a story! What would make you think there wasn't!?!? We need the second one the answer the damn legendary cliffhanger!!! Its not like MP only games we've been getting recently. The cutscenes were some of the most advanced around in games (at least from all my experiences), with some of the best Spartan fights!

buy a Halo wars. It's cheap, and easy to pick up/hard to master. Don't ruin it by watching cutscenes only, there's story points within missions as well. To consider buying the sequel without playing the original is heresy.
I would of pre ordered it if I wasn't sitting in prison you little -Yoink-.
Charming, because I am supposed to know your life story. I gave you a very detailed answer after, my admittedly wrong, assumption. Had you explained that nicely, you might have even earned an apology from me. However, you haven't even played the games on that account prior to Guardians, so now I'm just going to think it's all lies.

Buy Halo Wars, don't buy it, I don't care, but it will be pointless getting the sequel if you don't get a feel for the gameplay and know the story.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bypass the profanity filter or make violent or threatening posts against forum members, moderators, administrators, and non-forum members.
Spoiler:
Show

Getting all the achievements does not make you a die hard fan, it makes you a completionist. Also by your own definition, you are not a die hard fan for not completing Spartan Strike, MCC, or H5.

If you want to know the full story, I recommend you play HW1. The story of HW is pretty self contained, it is not the end of the world if you want to play the sequel without playing the first.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.
Spoiler:
Show
What's with all the fuss?

OP, Halo Wars is an RTS, not an FPS. It's a very different experience from traditional Halo that you are a fan of.

I loved Halo Wars, and if you're interested in Real-Time Strategy games, Halo Wars is a pretty solid game, even for a console RTS. You can watch the cutscenes on youtube to catch up on Halo Wars' story for HW2.

Getting all the achievements does not make you a die hard fan, it makes you a completionist. Also by your own definition, you are not a die hard fan for not completing Spartan Strike, MCC, or H5.

If you want to know the full story, I recommend you play HW1. The story of HW is pretty self contained, it is not the end of the world if you want to play the sequel without playing the first.
I've been playing Halo since the original xbox you punk -Yoink- -Yoink-.
Well I hope you enjoy getting banned for being a jerk to people and bypassing the word filter.
It's not even like UnheardCARNAGE was being a "punk -Yoink- -Yoink-"

Chill out.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
Spoiler:
Show
This thread is great
This thread is great
i already ate my popcorn:p

anyway to add to the topic:

the cutscenes are one of the best ive seen in games.

the story itself is pretty good. but the cutscenes alone wont really explain what really happens.
id highly suggest picking it up to learn the units and how it works. its backwards compatible for the one as well.

playing the first entry in the series will greatly help understanding the second one. since from what ive gathered, the second halo wars continues where the first ended.

HW2 is playable as a standalone game, but you would be missing out a good game if you skip the first one:p
Halo Wars 1 is a great game, but we don't know how HW2 will play out or turnout. I sort of recommend playing HW1 first or watch some videos of it first(but really play it) before you get HW2 & try it out first as it is an RTS game & not an fps.

I never pre ordered it still have all the achievements for halo wars and 579 out of 600 for mcc ive never played spartan strike or assualt am I not a die hard halo fan? Get your flawed logic out of here

I never pre ordered it still have all the achievements for halo wars and 579 out of 600 for mcc ive never played spartan strike or assualt am I not a die hard halo fan? Get your flawed logic out of here
all right people there no reason to start bickering over what achievements we have, all well end up doing is having a flame war, To answer your original question Halo Wars had a great campaign with all the cut scenes done by the amazing Blur studios, while you can watch the vids on youtube the cutscenes do leave a bit out that is meant to be the missions and for the price of Halo Wars you could very easily still pick it up and play it(heck its on games on demand), while it is a very different sort of game its got some of the best controls available for an rts on the consoles and its quite unique so worth the playtime
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2