Halo Wars 3 Likely In Development?

OP DylanCharles171

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
So, over a year ago, Creative Assembly's lead concept artist released some concept art for Halo Wars 3 on Artstation.The description was, ""Surprisingly I got the all clear from Microsoft to show this cancelled pitch material. We did some proposals for Halo Wars 3, I had to introduce space battles into the game style, as well as having your capital ship as your home base, to prep your ground forces." However, the description has since been changed to, "Halo Wars 2 additional work done for Creative Assembly for Halo Wars 2. Property of Microsoft."Obviously, this shows that they were/are planning Halo Wars 3. Could it be that Microsoft changed their minds and decided to try to cover up any trace of a 3rd game in development? What do you think?
I think it was cancelled unfortunately, although halo wars 2 was super awesome but halo infinte is going to be huge and i think they don't have enough resources for a second game alongside halo infinite, also halo wars 2 sold badly which is a possible reason for cancelling the 3rd game.
I still think an expansion would be more appropriate at this time. RTS games just dont have the same life cycle as FPS games.
Zildjians wrote:
I still think an expansion would be more appropriate at this time. RTS games just dont have the same life cycle as FPS games.
You still have people playing Red Alert; RTS games have a longer life than most games, the problem is that they've fallen out of popularity.
I don't see it happening, I actually was surprised when they made this one. It could've happened if launch wasn't all fucky with a new leader every month and no core balance. This market is also very small in the gaming community unlike FPS. I think they will do better with this being a learning experience for them.
Even if miraculously HW 3 was made
HW 2 is incomplete
343industries betrayed our trust.
That fact does not change.

HW 2 is the best game.
So it is sad.
tenchosan wrote:
HW 2 is incomplete

HW 2 is the best game.
So it is sad.
Incomplete? Betrayed our trust? What are you even talking about?
I could live without Halo Wars 3 if we got some more stuff for halo Wars 2 like a few more maps/leaders/units over the coming years. I would happily pay for all that as it's one of the few games I play all the time. Most games these days you complete and trade in....
tenchosan wrote:
HW 2 is incomplete

HW 2 is the best game.
So it is sad.
Campaign save data disappears
XBOXONE often freezes at startup.
Both 343industries know.

I love HW 2.
Leave extremely reproducible bugs
It is difficult to trust 343industries.

They are causing online troubles both in HALO MCC and HALO 5
Infinite is worried.

But the story likes HW 2 better than H 5.
I want Atriox and SOF Crew to appear in Infinite as well.
Instead of Russian Grizzly driver we need Russian Longsword pilot.
It's either Halo Wars 3 will take off trying to rescue Anders, obviously. Or, Halo Infinite will have The Master Chief meet the Spirit of Fire crew to help get Anders back and with their help, stop Cortana and The Created
It's either Halo Wars 3 will take off trying to rescue Anders, obviously. Or, Halo Infinite will have The Master Chief meet the Spirit of Fire crew to help get Anders back and with their help, stop Cortana and The Created
DUDE! could you imagine chief and Jerome meet up?! Damn.
tenchosan wrote:
HW 2 is incomplete

HW 2 is the best game.
So it is sad.
- Saved data frequently disappears in some environments
· Startup fails on Xbox One
· Rug is too severe
· Game falls during game
· Unit does not pick up supplies

343 Industries recognizes these problems but has left it for more than a year. Even MCC is, they are despising users.
PEPORA wrote:
tenchosan wrote:
HW 2 is incomplete

HW 2 is the best game.
So it is sad.
- Saved data frequently disappears in some environments
· Startup fails on Xbox One
· Rug is too severe
· Game falls during game
· Unit does not pick up supplies

343 Industries recognizes these problems but has left it for more than a year. Even MCC is, they are despising users.
1. I don't know how common of a problem that is. Nevertheless, yeah, that sucks.
2. I've had the game freeze on the main menu once. I've heard of it happening more for others, but is this really a betrayal of trust...?
3. I don't know what that is, honestly.
4. Yes, disconnects are a problem.
5. Again..... is this really a betrayal of trust? If that's the standard by which you judge a developer and their product, you must have a mistrust of every developer who has ever made a game. Units not capturing nodes or picking up supplies is indeed annoying, but there are ways to work around it and get them to do what you want them to.

So I'll definitely grant you the couple of technical issues the game has. This is all ignoring the fact that HW2 was not developed by 343. They are simply managing the game now. The game launched with far more technical and balance issues than it currently has. It is in a better place now because of 343.
RTS isn't huge on consoles, so releases will be few and far between. You can't pump RTS out as often as the more popular genres, but that doesn't mean you can't make them at all.

The longer the wait, the more ripe the market.

Also, with mouse and keyboard support finally coming to Xbone, additional complexity can be added to console RTS, the lack of which has been its inherent shortcoming. That being said, even without M&KB, I believe a third HW can and will be made in the future, just not too soon.

As for "poor sales"... is there proof of this?
RTS isn't huge on consoles, so releases will be few and far between.

Also, with mouse and keyboard support finally coming to Xbone, additional complexity can be added to console RTS, the lack of which has been its inherent shortcoming.

RTS games aren't really huge anywhere now unfortunately.

A mouse and keyboard is definitely better, but I'd say a Halo RTS will always be primarily designed for a controller. A good few of HW2's shortcoming have all been design choices.

It definitely hasn't sold as much as other games, but only Microsoft can say if it met their sales expectations.
I can only hope that it has met their expectations, I don't expect another HW any time soon, but fingers crossed in five years or so, we'll get another.

Yes it still has some technical gremlins, but we've had regular patches for a year, and the game is in a very healthy state balance wise, particularly compared to the original. Just go back and play Halo Wars 1, there is a massive improvement in every aspect you can think of.
RTS isn't huge on consoles, so releases will be few and far between.

Also, with mouse and keyboard support finally coming to Xbone, additional complexity can be added to console RTS, the lack of which has been its inherent shortcoming.

It definitely hasn't sold as much as other games, but only Microsoft can say if it met their sales expectations.
Oh course not, but it also didn't cost as much to develop and produce as other games. So while it certainly didn't sell as well as a AAA shooter would, it still may have performed well enough for an RTS on console.

And given that it is such a limited market with so few entries, it will continue to make marginal sales that will continue to boost its profitability.
HW2 expanded, improved? HW3? Its all the same to me.
People usually cite the VGchartz website to claim HW2 had poor sales. According to that site HW2 has sold about 500k units. However, this is not including digital sales, of which that site does not factor in.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4